cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 19 October 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Oct 19, 11 12:04 AM
Any comments fishes?

Re:Todays DD 19 October 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by ShimShalabim on Oct 19, 11 12:25 AM
Couldn't stand it. Constant page refresh. Clunky cursor. Annoying graphics.

Less than 10 minutes and it was uninstall time for me.

If you're a Barbara Cartland fan you might be able to stomach it.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Oct 19, 11 12:45 AM
I had this one in my want folder. I think it's worth the DD prices. But it's not for everyone. I like the romance factor and the graphics are o.k. I like simple games sometime, just to relax to. An o.k. game for a good cause. Thanks BF!

LittleFish884
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,181 Posts

[Post New]by LittleFish884 on Oct 19, 11 1:03 AM
I normally like a romance in a game, but even for me this was a bit irritating. The game was clunky & slow, & the constant changing between a clear scene & one that was whited over when the characters talked was really starting to get on my nerves. Even for me as a relative newbie to these sorts of games, the constant hand holding & not being able to look around a scene without help, was decidedly irritating. Not a buy from me, even at DD prices.

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

[Post New]by JoyWales on Oct 19, 11 3:03 AM
Had another look at it but am still not tempted. runs too slowly on my computer and a game has to be pretty special to play like that.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Oct 19, 11 3:08 AM
This is a romance which isn’t my style; the music is pleasantly lilting but likely to send me to sleep as I was so bored. There are no voiceovers but there is a lot of dialogue which is clickable.

There is a normal mode with a 50 second hint recharge & an expert 90 seconds; however in both modes there is a banner at the top of the screen telling you what to do as soon as you have finished a task. In addition there is a diary with the story so far & clues.

Far too much hand-holding & flat unappealing graphics plus too slow to load between scenes.

[Post New]by TopazMystique on Oct 19, 11 6:16 AM
I am not one much for romance games but I found the story in this one intriguing... enough to want to finish it to see what happens. I think the graphics are decent (except the annoying sunlight in the HOG scenes). Yes, the "normal" mode has way too much hand-holding so I went back and tried expert. It still does some hand-holding but the sparkles & magnifying glasses are gone so it seems to be more "mature". Not sure which mode I will play in since sometimes I prefer an easy game and just want to play for the story and other times I prefer more difficulty. However, even expert is not that difficult so will probably play in that mode. For the DD price, it's a BUY for me!

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Oct 19, 11 6:26 AM
If it's for a good cause, this little romance will not be too much to bare. And... from what I remember, this was an OK kind of IHOG. Maybe too cute and pink too charm many, but I've bought it for all the women suffering of brestcancer.

Thanks BF for this initiative!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 19, 11 7:24 AM
Had to be for a good cause !

Nice, EASY, short little game, very relaxing, good graphics, can't believe I've bought it, such a change from my beloved creepy, spooky games ... Music is fine too.

bandonkr
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by bandonkr on Oct 19, 11 7:24 AM
I can't even get into the game. My screen constantly flashes and I had to use the task manager to stop it.

This is the 2nd game this has happened with.

[Post New]by LuketheFluke on Oct 19, 11 8:04 AM
Just watched the video and could tell this one was not for me.

Freka
Herring
Herring
304 Posts

[Post New]by Freka on Oct 19, 11 11:22 AM
True, it is really easy. And there are lots of helps. And, fortunately, I could finally skip the puzzle where you move the tiles around (one free space). I've NEVER been able to solve them, even the ones we got as kids.

Still, it is for a good cause. My aunt and SIL were/are breast cancer sufferers. I'll pitch the 3.17 for them.

Woofie53
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,145 Posts

[Post New]by Woofie53 on Oct 19, 11 3:55 PM
Not a bad game for the DD price. And as others have said, it's for a good cause. Especially since I am female and had a scare a couple of months ago but it turned out to be nothing.

The graphics are okay and so was the music. This is a nice leisurely game. It nice to have a leisurely game every now and then after playing more challenging games. It's a buy for me.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Oct 19, 11 4:02 PM
I'm not finding anything wrong with this game so far, I'm more than an hour in it and find myself in a beautiful woodland on this little journey with another hidden object scene with word lists. There are mini puzzles between different tasks with skip buttons but by the time it fills I've figured it out anyway (and I'm no puzzle freak). Matching 2 of same color bottles, jigsaws, yikes that picture slider I skipped as usual, I lose patience but the others are fun if you aren't an expert. Stack the crates right, ring moving for picture very easy and no picture to follow.

I'm not one for romance or nostalgia (but may consider Beach House from the great reviews by those who play aat my speed.) Don't like cutsy girly cartoon stuff either.
But this does have a story and intrigue and made me want to continue after my trial was up. I must have passed by this a year ago on older laptop, had 60 min to try again on new laptop so why not?

If you like HOGs, interactive, and want to learn a bit of how adventure IHOGs work, it's nice on easy, only a few rooms to explore at once, well marked so you don't get lost. You may have to visit 3 or 4 rooms in the mansion to find all items you need to solve a task. It's more of a fairytale storybook game, damsel in distress who wants to save her aristocratic family from ruin.

I was one punch short of fillling a card with DDs so bought this one for the cause to make 6. Oh well if there are betterDDs ahead I can contribute more to the cause. I am myselfl recovering from a masectomy last month and spending mending time on my bed just playing games. Some meds, hard games a challenge, so I'd call this a "soft" game and am pleasantly amused as well as happy to toss another buck in the research plate.

Never know when you may be in bed with a laptop for a partner, relax and either don't want to or can't think, concentrate much. Well, that's me for today and this is my game for today. In fact, I think it is charming. But, if you are in the mood to think and play blind, play on normal.

Edited on 10/19/2011 at 4:25:51 PM PST

Seascape6
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Seascape6 on Oct 19, 11 5:22 PM
Seems like a pretty little game. I played just a small portion of the demo before purchasing. I liked the scenery and the music, so worth the price for that alone. I always like having something relaxing to play when I'm not in the mood for one of my more eerie or intensive games, and this fits the bill. And for a good cause too!

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Oct 19, 11 7:55 PM
Irritating. My thought on the first hidden object scene was "Why are they misting out part of the scene? Wouldn't it be awful if they had decided to do that in every search scene. Naaaah, no one would be THAT silly...."

Game Lords, pay attention here. Blurring part of the screen is just plain annoying. Maybe ONCE, but every screen for the hour I played. No. Also, if you are going to do a period piece, you should know something about it. Don't throw in modern day stuff unless this has a time traveler in it...which I wouldn't be a bit surprised. It might even help. And unless I'm much mistaken about that bird....

"Birdseed? I'm a woodpecker, get it? See the beak? WOODPECKER! See, I drill neat little holes in the WOOD and eat the BUGS. BUGS!!!! Not seed. Call me if you get weevils in the seed." Okay, that was the attitude of the woodpecker I knew if you offered him anything but insects, but hey, he had a point.

And the heroine! She's smart enough to tumble to the fact she has been betrayed, then delays long enough to help the butler fix a clock...something no woman of that period and breeding would think of, and passively submits to being locked in her room. This same young woman who traveled there all by herself? And then she clambers up to the attic...this same young woman who had to dust off the paintings before she would touch them, clambers up to the attic wearing a dress that wouldn't fit through the trap door. No WAY can you climb a ladder in a dress like that. I can believe six impossible things before breakfast every day, but this is the seventh, eighth and nine and counting.

It's rare that a game can put me off from the very first screen. I love romances, and this is formula gothic fare, which isn't bad if you make it fun or campy. I really wanted to like this one, especially since it's a good cause and I already have the deal of the week. Both my grandmother and aunt succumbed to breast cancer, but I think they would come haunt me if I bought this turkey in honor of them.

And hey, I am now a herring! But not a red one, which would suit me better, hee hee!

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Oct 19, 11 10:21 PM
At first I found all the "go here" and "do this" to be a bit much. Then I began to realize I was enjoying this little game. It won't be for everyone, as we can already tell, but I find it relaxing and don't mind not pulling out my hair while trying to figure out where to go next and what to do when I get there.lol It's kind of like having a few things to do while I find out how the story goes . The graphics are good, except where the devs got a little over zealous with the white out ! I had a problem with the music slider, it was either LOUD or OFF, and after it went off I had to exit the game and re-enter to get it back on. After that I just turned down my speakers which usually annoys me, but it is for a good cause and I can live with it in this game. The custom cursor works great for me and all in all I'd recommend giving it a try anyway! Maybe it will grow on you like it did me!
Happy Gaming All

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Oct 20, 11 3:17 PM
I bought it as the DD and enjoyed playing it. It wasn't complicated and I enjoyed the story. Was it the best game I've ever played? Not by a long shot! But I thought it was a very nice game for a DD and I'm glad I got it.

DontPOP
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by DontPOP on Oct 21, 11 10:44 AM
I cannot find the necklace for the statue. Hint will not tell me.

Go to: