bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Mystery of the Ancients: Lockwood Manor

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Oct 19, 11 12:14 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Mystery of the Ancients: Lockwood Manor? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about the game in this thread. We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond! To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game!

A lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

geniegal
Clownfish
Clownfish
603 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery of the Ancients: Lockwood Manor

[Post New]by geniegal on Oct 19, 11 12:32 AM
I tried to like this game as a CE a while back, but found it tedious. It is junk pile after junk pile. Warning: there is a demonic theme. The graphics are very ordinary. It has not gotten any better as a SE.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Oct 19, 11 12:43 AM
Thanks for the warning, but I haven't ran into a spooky game that doesn't have a demonic theme. It's a buy for me.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Oct 19, 11 12:57 AM
Now that you mention the CE, I thought this looked familiar. I usually note down the CE's I really like so when the SE's come out, I might buy them. But this one I didn't note. Now I know why. It wasn't a very good game. I don't know , something about it, didn't quite "grab" me. Seemed kind of "run of the mill" , I guess. I would rate it a 6 out of 10.

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Oct 19, 11 2:02 AM
Hi everyone,

You can find some more reviews on this game (Collector's Edition) here:

Reviews for Mystery of the Ancients: Lockwood Manor Collector's Edition

Hope this helps!

bfgRhone

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 19, 11 3:53 AM
I have waited for the game since the CE release and I am happy to see, that it is finally here. I like especially the creepy storyline, but the graphic and hogscenes and puzzles are also good. A definete buy for me

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Oct 19, 11 3:58 AM
I rather liked this CE release and will probably buy after re-demoing. It's just that Shady Pines is also due for release this week and I only have one credit Decisions decisions.

Anyway, I recall being happy with the theme, graphics and puzzles etc and personally didn't find the H) scenes too bad.

eta The SE seems to have arrived rather quickly?

eta again, have decided my credit belongs with this game, And I can always buy another one for Shady Pines can't I?

Edited on 10/19/2011 at 8:38:37 AM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Oct 19, 11 4:52 AM
I was unable to play the CE due to tech issues. Just finished the demo of SE with no problems.
I found the hidden object scenes a bit on the difficult side and some fun minis. Wish there were voice overs but then I always do
The way the demo ended left me wondering where it's going from here so I will definitely be buying it. Just don't know when. I have three that I want right now

Decisions, Decisions

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Oct 19, 11 5:20 AM
This offering from Maria Glorum has a more than usual demonic theme with dark graphics to suit the storyline & a wonderful melodic piano score that is one of the best I have heard in a game. The cut scenes seem rather blurry but the artwork in the game itself is excellent & the atmosphere is very creepy & foreboding.

There are very few voiceovers & the dialogue was not clickable; however there is not a lot of it.

There are two modes of play; casual with a 30 second hint recharge & glints & sparkles, advanced with 60 second recharge & sparkles for the H0 scenes only. The misclick penalty only seemed to come into play during the advanced mode. It filled the widescreen on my monitor.

I found the cursor to be a little clunky in places & there is no map but as there do not seem to be a great many areas this is not a problem.

This is a definite for my list of games to buy; I would get it immediately but am waiting to see if I can fill a punchcard first.

Lazyhab
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Lazyhab on Oct 19, 11 5:46 AM
I am new to HOG and they all seem too hard for me to start out on - can anyone
recommend a much easier one to start out with???

Starchild6
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by Starchild6 on Oct 19, 11 6:13 AM
Try Gardenscapes! Lots of HOG scenes, simple instructions, no need to navigate anywhere. A great way to learn to deal with HOG scenes. Then you can graduate to games involving picking up items and navigating from problem to problem. Someone else will have to recommend the easier ones, they all seem pretty much alike to me. This game is pretty good. Basically, you just run your cursor everywhere and pick up whatever it will let you pick up. Always click on anything that sparkles. Games with maps are good, because they keep you from getting hopelessly lost. Some few games have "All Clear" or "Nothing Else to Do Here", which are great, because you know to move to another location. Once you get started, there are usually walkthroughs available, some have strategy guides, and many games now have helpful hint buttons that not only help you find objects in the HOG scenes, but also give you tips on what to do next.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Oct 19, 11 6:24 AM
hi lazyhab - you would do better to post the question in Chit Chat Corner

click on Forums Home at top of this page, then Chit Chat Corner
& near the top is a large blue button marked Create New Discussion.

You could try todays Daily Deal – Secret Diaries – Florence Ashford; as you play look at the top of the screen as it tells you what to do next
or Dream Day Wedding series are pretty easy

however if you prefer something that is not romantic
Big City Adventure games – there are several
Pure Hidden
Mystery in London: on the trail of Jack the Ripper
Gardenscapes

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Oct 19, 11 6:26 AM
Even though I was absolutely sure what was going to happen at the end of the demo...purchased the game anyway. The H/O scenes are just what I like; not too easy and not too difficult. The story is predictable, but gosh, they all are, and at least this time, it didn't start out with a car crash and no missing grandfather! So, I'm off to save the girl and fight the forces of evil.

[Post New]by baglady159 on Oct 19, 11 6:48 AM
bfgRhone wrote:Hi everyone,

You can find some more reviews on this game (Collector's Edition) here:

<a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/179306.page>Reviews for Mystery of the Ancients: Lockwood Manor Collector's Edition</a>

Hope this helps!

bfgRhone

Thanks for adding the link. When I don't buy the CE and wait for the SE I, for one, like to refresh my memory by going back to the reviews of the CE which involves a lot of back and forth. Adding this link just made that easier. Thanks again.

hmhque
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by hmhque on Oct 19, 11 9:12 AM
Thanks for the reviews! Too many HOG scenes means a no buy for me because I hate them. I log for the old days before every "adventure" game was HOG. I just look for the ones that keep them to a minimum now.

Yarnalee
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by Yarnalee on Oct 19, 11 10:38 AM
I remember playing the CE demo, and now I remember why I didn't buy it: It takes way too long to transition from scene to scene, at least on my computer. Call me impatient, but that's enough for me to say "no,thanks."

Micral
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by Micral on Oct 19, 11 11:40 AM
I have to say that this was one of the best games I've played in a long while. I was a little disappointed with the Premature Burial CE which I purchased outright on the strength of the previous Edgar Allan Poe games - and I checked the rave reviews beforehand. I guess it really is a matter of personal preference. I thought the music for Lockwood Manor was excellent, and together with the fab graphics - on the scenery and on the hidden object scenes. There are longish stretches with no **** scenes, and then you get a few in a row. I enjoyed spending loads of time searching for the items (I have been known to click 'hint' in other games when I can't be bothered with the last couple of items) I guess there are only so many variations on a theme for long games, but once you leave the Manor there aren't really many scenes involving demons or anyone else. You spend ages (and it really is a value-for-money game) searching many different locations for pieces to unlock puzzles, only to find another puzzle which also needs many pieces to solve. I really enjoyed 'strolling' around by myself just savouring the game, in fact the story was irrelevant until the end. I wish I'd bought the CE now. I thought I'd add my humble opinion as so far the reviews seem luke warm

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Oct 19, 11 12:08 PM
Played the CE demo and liked it a lot. Very nice graphics, I'm happy that not many voice overs, no sparkles in advanced mode , not so easy and predictable like all the ERS games lately. Good job developers! I just have to decide if I buy the CE or the SE. / many reviews about long and interesting bonus chapter/ I just hope there is a difficulty option in the bonus too.

Qismet
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by Qismet on Oct 19, 11 8:11 PM
I just completed this game and I must say I absolutely enjoyed it. The graphics are fine, and the music score is wonderful. (There is a melody line that I have heard before in a movie or something, but I cannot for the life of me remember where)

I would not say this is a game of the year contender, but it is a very solid game and is good value for the money. I played off and on during the day and I probably got a good 5 to 6 hours out of it.

For those offended by a demonic theme, you may not wish to play this, however good triumphs over evil so that may be enough for you to be able to play.

This is a game I would gladly play again.

ZuluDawn13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by ZuluDawn13 on Oct 20, 11 1:41 AM

Waited for the SE and really enjoyed this game with heaps to do.

Puzzles were interesting and fun.

Graphics were great I really enjoyed looking at all the scenery.

The Occult type theme could be a bit scary for children however.

I had hours of fun and no technical hitches or problems.

The only thing I would say to Devs is please not SO many Hidden Object Scenes next time.

BUT I am very Pleased there were NO big smacks for people overclicking!! I think Devs now realise we are not all children and need a whack or a paint bomb in the face just for Overclicking.. thank you.

I would be happy to buy the follow up game when it comes out.

Thanks BF and Devs.

Go to: