bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Reviews for Drawn™: Trail of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Oct 20, 11 12:14 AM

Hi Fishies!

We’d love to hear what you think of Drawn™: Trail of Shadows Collector's Edition; your reviews are very important to us and to other fishies. You’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game in here! You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you ended your game play, so that other players can get more out of this discussion!

Keep in mind a lot of people visiting this thread will have never played the game before so if you are posting spoilers please remember to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Feel free to go ahead and create a new discussion in the game forum if you’d like to discuss other topics than your general feedback on the game. If you are experiencing technical issues, remember to check out the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

Re:Reviews for Drawn™: Trail of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Oct 20, 11 1:00 AM
The worst and most uncomfortable creation of BD Studios!!! And they know how to create quality games!

1) I got dizzy only from the continuous movement of the screen.

2) The grapfics are foggy and lack any touch of aesthetics. Where is the beauty of Drawn 1?

3) Lack of visually hints button and SG link - I can reach the hint only is I move to the low side of the screen; these two, together with the continuous moving screen creates very uncomfortable mental situation. I want to run away as fast as I can from this chaos...

Pity...

Edit: Thank you, thank you, thank you BF!!! At last I got the high quality game I wanted!!! Bought of course!

I downloaded the updated version, and played until 3 minutes from the trial end:

1) No movements of the screen.

2) There is a lock which enables me to lock the inventory and the hints to be visible.

3) The most hilarious add: instead of SG, I hit the hint, and get a picture with the action I have to perform, with explanation!!!

Who needs SG, when I have it every second under my hand?

I BF!!!

Edited on 10/22/2011 at 5:29:39 PM PST

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Oct 20, 11 1:03 AM
Goodday fishies!

Since I love this series it was an instant buy as soon as I saw the game pronounced as the TGT!

It's a bit of an disappointment though that there's no Strategy Guide. Players will have to do with the Hint system as it is. Admitted, it's enough for me personally, but I still think there should have been an SG since we're spending CE money,,,

Anyway, a gorgeous new game it is, with the interactive drawings we've come to love so well. The story is interesting too, I'lld like to find out who this boy is, although I have a pretty good idea.

The music is somewhat sad and rather repetetive, but you can always mute it of course.

Don't know about the length, but I've already bought it, so I'll have to accept it, however.

4 out of 5 (one star less, because there is no SG)

Enjoy!

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 20, 11 1:04 AM
First, thank you for adding the thread on how to disable the screen movement, bfgKenai. I was just heading to the forum to let people know - I am one of those who get motion sickness easily.

If you haven't seen the other thread, and if the motion of the game gets to you, go to Options and slide the slider for screen motion all the way to the left. You still get a tiny bit of motion when you change scenes, but not too bad.

GREAT GAME!! Of course, it's Drawn, so that makes it great right away. Once again you will be challenged and baffled.

To get to the Strategy Guide, you click on the task in the lower left corner (hover your mouse there) and it will give you one hint at a time. It's not really specific like a regular SG is, but it keeps you going in the right direction without giving away the whole game.

I'm back to play some more - enjoy!!! At least give this a try if you haven't played any of the Drawn games yet. THey are very, very different!

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Oct 20, 11 1:05 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:The worst and most uncomfortable creation of BD Studios!!! And they know how to create quality games!

1) I got dizzy only from the continuous movement of the screen.

2) The grapfics are foggy and lack any touch of aesthetics. Where is the beauty of Drawn 1?

3) Lack of visually hints button and SG link - I can reach the hint only is I move to the low side of the screen; these two, together with the continuous moving screen creates very uncomfortable mental situation. I want to run away as fast as I can from this chaos...

Pity...

Check my post and the thread by bfgKenai - you can shut off the motion in Options.

And as you move further into the game, the graphics are more Drawn-like. Remember, these drawings are by The Boy, not Iris.

Edited on 10/20/2011 at 1:06:40 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Oct 20, 11 1:21 AM
sinshack, thanks! But you know, the first impression means to me a lot.

First, I get dizzy (why in the name of God you put it???). Many of us hate sparkles - and you make sparkles on purpose? It is said too about moving screens!

Why I have to "work" to stop this movement? Can't the programmers get it by themselves?

Nothing will persuade me to buy this game, after viewing the opening - I want to play without any mental disturbance.

And it happens just in the company that I want to support by buying it's games...

Edit: to write sinshack name, instead of pufferfish... Blame the dizziness...

Edited on 10/20/2011 at 1:39:22 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 20, 11 1:47 AM
I'm quite surprised by the amount of negative comments on this game; I was expecting rave reviews, as is common when a game created by BFG themselves is released. I guess they can't please everyone!

From the trial, which did seem very short (I had 23 mins left on casual mode), I will be buying this; visually stunning, with the artwork similar to a pastel watercolour painting; voices absolutely spot-on, particularly the old man telling the story; it follows quite a logical path, nothing was difficult to understand or achieve if you look around each environment carefully and pick up everything; so far the puzzles have been simple enough but I suspect that may change later in the story! The pop-up book scenes are delightful and offer clues easily missed if you don't pull out a tab (did that already!).

The game oozes quality and attention to detail. The movement option can be disabled almost completely but I left it on. As to the thorny issue of no SG, or at least not one that is perhaps as 'hand holding' as other games offer; since the built-in hint system is the same as the other Drawn games, why would this one be any different? Personally, I wouldn't have expected anything else. It's perfectly adequate and encourages players to think for themselves, rather than being told every step needed to get through the game.

I have no idea what the extras are and frankly I don't care! This is a buy simply based on the trial; I may be disappointed at the end of the entire game but for now I want to go back into that world; hopefully the rest of the game will be as enchanting.

ETA: downloaded the full game (415mb) in 5 minutes using mobile broadband! Either the GM has massively improved the d/l speed or my brand new dongle/USB internet stick is super quick!!

Edited on 10/20/2011 at 2:31:20 AM PST

abitmore
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by abitmore on Oct 20, 11 1:55 AM
Drawn 3! YES!

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Oct 20, 11 2:08 AM
I really couldn't make my mind up about the first one and after playing the demo, the same goes for this one. I got stuck a couple of times and could not find help very easily . Had to back out once and go to the**SPOILER walkthrough to find out I had to grab the beeswax as well as the hunny after wasting a lot of time trying to figure out what to do with it. That just irks me when I waste a lot of time over stupid little things like that. But anyway, these games are just a little too "odd" for me and I would rate this a 6 out of 10. (PS The graphics and music are really beautiful , I must admit.)

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Oct 20, 11 2:34 AM
Drawn is my favirote series of all time. They aren't just games, there works of art. They can be very challenging and are not a straight hog. I beta tested this one, and I was hoping they would sharpen up the blurriness and fogginess, but they didn't. It's still a great game.

I really enjoy the story and art work of these games. This review is only based on the trial period. It's a great game and for me a must have. Top of the line voiceovers and story telling. The hint button is enough help for me, but I understand if other's would like a SG. And as other's have stated so well, you can turn down the screen movement. Just like with any sequel, there will be disappointment, because I don't think they can ever make it as good as the first. But with this series, I think there all pretty great. Enjoy, I know I will and hope many other's do also.

I rate this game: "PIGLET"
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)

FINISHED Game Review
: I'm very disappointed with this Drawn. I don't think it lived up to the other 2 in the series. With this said, I think the graphics and animations are great, but the story and over all gameplay was a let down. I would get this game with a punch card or on sale. But it left me very disappointed. I have lowerd my rating from "Fine Swine" to "Piglet" after finishing the game. But it is worth playing and buying on sale. Just not as good as the first 2.

Edited on 12/28/2011 at 10:30:05 PM PST

dakini
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by dakini on Oct 20, 11 2:50 AM
Love it! I was totally caught up in it and the time flew! The added 'be on the look out for's' are fun and not all that easy to find. The screen movement doesn't bother me but I do wonder why there is just a bit and not whole scene scanning. Don't know if I can wait for the SE. The mini games have been fun so far so I'm looking forward to more of the new and different. The hour took me well into the first painting but I have no idea how many paintings there are. I'm thrilled.

[Post New]by JCarnival on Oct 20, 11 3:25 AM
This game is so beautiful! The artwork is lovely. The puzzles are fun and challenging.
I love the interactive storybook pages. The music is beautiful too.

You collect pigs throughout the game…Yes! Pigs!

Wonderful, beautiful game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 20, 11 3:52 AM
I enjoyed the trial version, even though I got through it in 35 minutes. However, I checked out the walkthrough and looked at the bonus chapter (chapter 3), and am not all that keen on that little bit extra in the middle of the game to purchase the CE, and will wait for the SE to come out.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Oct 20, 11 3:52 AM
As usual with the Drawn devs, the originality and creativity stand out. I played the demo with delight and when that little character said "first I whinnied and then I poohed", well that just cracked me up. So, humour too! Nice one.

It's a beautiful game and I happily fork over my cash for it.

As to there being no SG as such, the Objectives button lower left IS the SG. Surely it's more convenient this way? Why is everyone annoyed with this? I much prefer it, especially since the hint button is so helpful.

It's an engrossing game, and not a little awesome.

Thanks, guys.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 20, 11 4:02 AM
I have absolutely loved the first Drawn game and played it a few times, but was dissapointed with the second Drawn game. This is now the third in the series. Its an okay game in my opinion but I doubt, that I would buy the CE this time. I don`t like the moving screen, but I have read that you can change this in "options". I will wait for the SE this time

sandr1
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by sandr1 on Oct 20, 11 4:41 AM
Pls don't missunderstand me, I like the Drawn series I buyed also this third installment, but if I had the choice between 1 drawn and 1 mcf per year or 2 MCF installments, I am a 100% in favour for 2 MCFs.

Edited on 10/20/2011 at 4:47:14 AM PST

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Oct 20, 11 5:02 AM
I have the two other Drawn games, but I am going to wait for the SE version. I am disappointed there is no guide included.

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Oct 20, 11 5:08 AM
I got stuck on a couple of puzzles. I'm not talking about knowing that I had to do X but not knowing how to do it; rather, I'd be looking at something and the game would be telling me, okay, solve the puzzle...and I'd have no idea what to solve, as it would just look like a picture to me. I was able to skip the non-puzzles in this way...but I couldn't help but feel that if skipping suddenly wasn't an option for one of them, I'd be beyond screwed.

In addition, the game took--no exaggeration--a half hour to download. (Uninstalling it only took two minutes.) That worried me. Space issues? Graphics issues? I have no idea.

And yes, like others who noted the constant movement of the scenes, I found this faintly nauseating, though it didn't occur to me until I started reading the other reviews that my nausea was due to motion sickness.

I played till the end of the demo...but I'd say that this is the most difficult of the Drawn game trials--and given the other two games, that's saying a lot.

Definitely a no-buy, whether as CE or SE.

bootsie21
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,188 Posts

[Post New]by bootsie21 on Oct 20, 11 5:30 AM
This is a fabulous game! another in the Drawn series. Graphics are fantastic and I have no complaints whatsoever, bought it straight away. Thank you BigFish.

Ucwatuget
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by Ucwatuget on Oct 20, 11 5:51 AM
Rave review as usual for another Drawn. I am enthralled. The music and atmosphere and story just suck u right in. When I beta'd the game, I too suffered from motion sickness. They immediately changed the option and now there's a slider bar. Talk about attention to detail! I want to point out for those who leave it on, that for me, I did eventually get used to it and did not suffer from scene to scene after awhile. lol. So, will probably leave it on. The hint system remains the same as in previous Drawns.

Great job BFG!

Go to: