bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Reviews for Bali Quest

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Oct 21, 11 12:14 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Bali Quest? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your thoughts about the game in this thread! You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

Re:Reviews for Bali Quest

[Post New]by QEIII on Oct 21, 11 3:05 AM
This is an M3 game. You can choose Easy or Normal. I chose Normal. I played for about 30 - 40 mins (sorry can't be more specific) before uninstalling. It's the usual sort of M3 play but I never came across any power-ups in that time which I didn't like. There was one extremely easy hidden object scene and locked tiles came up on the 2nd screen in which I think is too early, esp without power-ups.

I think some fishies might like it as you can match whilst tiles are falling. I'm personally not bothered about that.

To sum up - nothing new here and bit boring for me. I hope others like it - I'm sticking with Around the World in 80Days.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Oct 21, 11 4:35 AM
This was a run of the mill M3 with a few odd plays thrown in here and there. I was not impressed and was getting bored halfway through the demo. I would rate it a 4 out of out 10.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 21, 11 6:40 AM
This isn`t a good game in my opinion. I have tried this game and didn`t liked it very much. No buy for me

mamamaggie
Marlin
Marlin
9,501 Posts

[Post New]by mamamaggie on Oct 21, 11 7:08 AM
I love love love M3, but this is no more than run of the mill, if that. The story is uninteresting, there are no power ups, and it is timed. Maybe as a DD.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Oct 21, 11 8:00 AM
This is a M3, swap which I like, there are also H0 scenes inbetween, that are pretty easy, example, find key peices, I also played a picture puzzle and a word puzzle mini.
There are power-ups, I got the wind power-up, during the demo time, and there were I think, four more power-ups spaces to get, as you get further into the game.
It is pretty challenging, because you have to match 4 or more green tiles, in order to charge, the wind power-up, than once it is charged, you use the wind power-up to remove water drops, that block moves, in order to clear the board.
With every level, more drops appear, that you have to remove, so you need to keep making matches of 4 or more green tiles, to charge the power-up, along with making matches, to unfreeze the frozen tiles.
Trying to do all of that is a challenge, so I know once more power-ups come into to play, its going to be tricky, to get the boards cleared in time, because it got more difficult on each level, just in the demo time.
I never ran out of time during my demo, but once the levels get harder, with so much to do, I am affraid I will run out of time, and I didn't see an untimed mode.
So that is what is keeping me from buying this game, I hate it when they don't give an option, for untimed game play.
The only option's I found were, easy and normal mode, and the easy was still timed, so will wait, and hopefully someone will buy the game and leave a review , letting us know more about the timed issue.
I am a M3 fan, and they are so hard to come by, on the BF site, I don't feel I would get bored with so much to do, in this game, it is just the no untimed game play, that is stopping me from buying it .
If some one does buy it, PLEASE let me know, if the game gives you enough time, once you get into the harder levels, that come rather quickly, it would be much appreciated...THANKS :-)

jpabich
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by jpabich on Oct 21, 11 11:06 AM
Wow -- I'm shocked at how bad this game is. I found it to be very "stutter-y". Also, I was amazed that there were no bonuses for matching 4 or 5 tiles at a time -- I think it just gave you more points. I skipped through the story, so I cannot comment on that, but all in all, I think BFGs needs to perhaps employ some screening on these games. This is by far one of the worst I have ever seen from them. I love M3s and just played the "7 Wonders" game that was just released. That is by far a superior game.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 21, 11 11:18 AM
Just another Match 3 game and it's easy and boring. Nothing new and won't be a buy for me.

moonlightgrey
Flounder
Flounder
2,076 Posts

[Post New]by moonlightgrey on Oct 21, 11 11:32 AM
Bali has 5 power ups. But you need to read the directions. (I know--directions? How boring!!!!!) And they are great power-ups

Most match 3 s have minimal stories, but so do many other genres. The challenge is in the game. Even our beloved Ers puts out a stinker of a story on occasion.

The art is a little grainy, but for the most part it is lovely. (No! It was not put out by a big name developer.) It won't be breath taking, but it is miles better than a lot of M3's that depend on the game play.

The point of an M3 is to challenge your fingers and your brain at the same time. I am an old lady, and I found the timing very generous. I don't have a lightning fast computer and I have the handicap of arthritis.

I had to repeat one board. So what? Luck is a big factor in M3s. Eventually I get it.
Do you stop playing solitaire because you can't win every hand?

If you want a M3 with no timer, play one. There are lots of great ones out there. Not every game fits every person.

This game is a buy for me. The game is a good solid B and the Art (I love Around the World backgrounds) is a B+ or an A-.

If I want a good story, I'll do a Hog or read a book.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Oct 21, 11 11:52 AM
I did buy this game to fill my punch card, and because I was rather fascinated by the relatively authentic (you wouldn't find totally authentic in any game) Bali-Hindu mythology.

Yes, the game is flawed. You have to wait for endless drops to be implemented while your cursor will not work, and it is very difficult to see which tiles are still unbroken (and no hint on that). The dialog box is rather primitive. Some of the art is too cartoonish.

Still, the game is very different from ordinary match-3 games in its approach to bonuses. You have to earn each of the "weapons" which you can then implement by making one or more match of 4 or more of the correct color. The weapons remove virulent obstacles (drops of water that freeze surrounding tokens if not removed, fire rocks that burn surrounding tokens if not removed). You can also buy a fill-up of the weapon with points (useful if you're desperate, and there seem to be plenty of points). So the criticism that you get no benefit from large matches is only applicable to the very beginning of the game. Later, you MUST be able to make large matches to keep going. This is what makes the game interesting for me.

I am up to two weapons, and I have a hard time imagining myself managing five of them, so that's the real challenge. The need to get rid of the nasty obstacles quickly causes more time pressure than the timer itself.

I am playing the "easy" version and have not yet timed out, although I am slow with stiff and arthritic hands.

Although it gets off to a slow start, this game is definitely not boring.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Oct 21, 11 1:10 PM
Found this oddly addictive, playing the full hour. Seems there are nuances which would take me some time to pick up. Probably my favorite part of breaking in a new M-3 is figuring out the winning strategy. My faves are Call of Atlantis and Cradle of Rome #2 (both timed) -- and can't wait to get Cradle of Egypt (which has an untimed option finally!). But I digress.

Nice Help section if you're inclined to read up on the Powerups -- how to get and how to use. Plus it shows how all the typical M-3 obstacles can be cleared. It also shows the mini-games and more.

Play is indeed a little herky-jerky with the cursor occasionally freezing for a second or two. Thought I would try to disable the custom cursor to see if that would help, but no option to do that.

Played on Easy, still timed, but never came close to timing out during my hour. As Help explains, in Easy mode, timer is more generous and can buy all the Powerups you want providing you have the points. In Normal, there is a limit on how many Powerups you can buy and the timer is less forgiving than on Easy mode.

What really troubled me was the flashes and explosions . I had to look away from the screen when it was doing its thing but still came away with a headache. Especially if I made a really great combo shot. Heck, a simple match got rewarded with praise too, which meant alot of flashing and praising! The light show not only bothered my eyes today, but perhaps it contributed to the less than smooth cursor and the hesitation of dropping tiles.

I would have purchased this game if not for the too-frequent and IMO extreme light show. I draw the line at needing to play a M-3.

gpj53
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by gpj53 on Oct 21, 11 7:02 PM
As I enjoy M3s I trial each that appears and this one is definitely not a buy. Found the story boring, didn't like the jerky cursor when trying to make a match whilst matches were being made above and around me, dislike HOs in M3s, the first powerup took forever to appear and the silly childish names used to name places etc. About the only thing I did like was being able to make a match on the go unlike Jewel Quest where the screen has to stop moving before the next match can be made, very frustrating when the timer has only a few seconds to go and the last match is lined up ready to go.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Oct 21, 11 11:25 PM
I enjoyed playing the hour demo. The short music loop managed to be both quite exotic, as well as insanity inducing. It's an interesting change of atmosphere from other games. As for gameplay, the game pieces didn't fall just downward, and there were some power up items and various game pieces being added. I don't think I will buy it, largely due to the repetition of the music loop. But I am glad I spent an hour with it.

Edited on 10/21/2011 at 11:25:36 PM PST

PlanB143
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by PlanB143 on Oct 22, 11 12:19 PM
In a word...BORING. Might not have been quite as bad if there was some control of the mouse sensitivity. I'm with others who say 'No buy for me.'

bootsky
Stingray
Stingray
5,333 Posts

[Post New]by bootsky on Oct 23, 11 7:39 AM
I was really looking forward to trying this game I expected something along the lines of 4 Elements(1&2) or 7 Wonders(all 3)....Boy was I disappointed.
It ran jerky & unresponsive...the graphics were uninteresting as was the story!
Sorry I cannot find a decent thing to say about the game!
Boots

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Oct 25, 11 10:41 AM
I just wanted to report back after having played this game for some hours. Once you get past the beginning, it is definitely not boring, with complex power-ups and difficulties. The part I like is that there is only one nasty icon per group of levels, but you get to keep all the power-ups (the four "magic weapons"). You fill them by making matches of 4 or more, which can be quite difficult if the playing field is full of holes and filled with frozen cells. But combining the weapons can have very interesting effects.

As I said before, this game is definitely technically flawed, but I'm finding it fun, and would encourage the developers to come up with a technically improved version that might appeal to more customers.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Oct 30, 11 7:09 PM
I am on the fence about this game . I'ts an M3 which I really like and it's new and different, also good. I enjoyed the H0s and puzzles. However there are dislikes too! The main things I Don't like are the timer and the "light show". I never came near to timing out during the demo but I know my track record and like someone else stated I have enough games with timers that I have yet to (and probably never will) finish. I know lots like the "challenge" of the timer but it just makes me nervous! I also had the problem of the cursor occasionally freezing and while not a biggie, it is still annoying! I often play games with sunglasses on because of light sensitivity due to migraines. So I am used to that. It's wear them or not play and "not playing" is NOT an option.lol. I think I have fallen on the side of not buying this game today. Maybe as a DD or COTW. Sorry Devs and but the timer is just a real relaxation killer for me! Please make more M3s with a choice of timed or untimed!
Happy Gaming All

jgehrke
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by jgehrke on Apr 20, 13 9:52 AM
I am a Match 3 fan, and have played many of them. I found this one well above average. The levels are not too repetitive, there are various story and side play breaks and some skill required. The only stinker with this one for me is the so called music, which is pretty bad - just a few notes that repeat over and over - ugh. But aside from that a decent match 3 for me.

Go to: