Go ahead, fishies!

Edited on 10/22/2011 at 7:53:02 AM PST

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

Re:Reviews for Committed: Mystery at Shady Pines

[Post New]by CasualGran on Oct 22, 11 1:05 AM
Well, this certainly is a good TGT! Welldone voice-overs, interesting story that's a bit different from the mainstream hospital/asylum ones, clear graphics and OK minigames.

I must confess though, that I've already bought it elsewhere as a Premium Edition, so I've got a Strategy Guide and a Bonus game too. But... who knows? This TGT may also have these extra's? If so, then you're having quality for an advantageous price. But if not, this game's still worth playing, I think!

I give it 4 out of 5

Enjoy!

Edited on 10/22/2011 at 1:06:08 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Oct 22, 11 1:13 AM
Played the full hour and I like it. I spent 15 minutes to play the game solitair and I don't want to skip. LOL. I bought the game and try to solve the solitair.

Happy gaming!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Oct 22, 11 1:14 AM
What a wounderful surprise to have a great SE for today. There so rare to see, I get shocked when I see one. lol The voiceovers are fantastic and the story is very intrigueing and interesting. A little different then the usual story we keep seeing all the time. The graphics are good and I love the option to adjust the brightness. It has widescreen/2 modes of play. This is a must have for me and for sure it's worth everyone's time to try. Even if your only a CE lover. Don't pass up trying this one. I really like it! Enjoy!

I rate this game: "PIGLET"
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Oct 22, 11 1:39 AM
Great SE!! Finally something to use my PC credits on!

Anyone else reminded of the Golden Girls when they read the title? Shady Pines was the nursing home Sopia was in before moving in with the rest of the girls .. Yes I still love that show!

ETA I am loving this game... the H0 scenes are a bit grainy, graphics a bit fuzzy and I am betting that is why we didn't get it as a CE. But I'm having no problems finding the H0s. It has a great storyline, some of the best voice acting I've seen in a game. I love the tapes..remins me of Dire Grove. This is definitely a game worth getting!

For a punch card credit worthy SE I'm giving it 4 ...only taking 1 away for the fuzzy/hazy/greenish scenes. Still a great game!

LOL@ the GG comments..glad I'm not the only one who loves that show! Its funny that I was watching it before I game to see what TGT was. I think we need to find a hot plate and burn this place down like Sophia did! heehee

Edit after game finished. Time took me just under 4 hours of play (as recorded on the game, but I take breaks so really I played off/on for 6 hours. WELL worth the credit, I highly recommend. No they did not include any CE extras by the way, but I'm OK with that. It was a great SE game, but I would have not paid CE price for it. Good call !

Edited on 10/22/2011 at 7:11:25 AM PST

bfgfan25
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by bfgfan25 on Oct 22, 11 2:14 AM
"Shady Pines, Ma!"

The game looks good so far.

duchess436
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by duchess436 on Oct 22, 11 2:16 AM
WiccanWoman530 wrote:Great SE!! Finally something to use my PC credits on!

Anyone else reminded of the Golden Girls when they read the title? Shady Pines was the nursing home the oldest was in before moving in with the rest of the girls .. Yes I still love that show!
lol! i too thought of golden girls & your right, sophia was in shady pines & i too love that show it's too funny not to. well waiting for dl to finish thanks for the review & e1 have a great weekend.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Oct 22, 11 2:21 AM
This is a well laid out game from Fugazo, set in a hospital & you have to find out why you are there. You will get a journal & scattered through the game 9 cassette tapes; I recommend you listen to these as they help to explain the story. In addition you meet other patients & enter their minds which can be a little confusing.

There is no hint button in the main gameplay but you do get a map in the second scene & it will show you where you are & areas to visit so is invaluable. Get your sneakers on as there is a lot of going back & forward & it is not always obvious what you should do next so it can get a little frustrating.

There were good graphics but the H0 scenes were a little grainy; the artwork is washed over in an eerie green. There is a menu option to change the brightness of the screen which is a great idea, it filled my widescreen monitor. The music is sombre & suits the theme & there are excellent voiceovers; the main game dialogue is skippable but in the cut scenes you would have to skip the whole scene, not a good idea if you want to try & keep track of the story.

There are two modes of play, in regular there are sparkles & a one minute hint recharge, in expert only the H0 scenes have sparkles & the hint is a long 3 minutes. You can change the difficulty during gameplay.

The H0 scenes were not too easy & the mini games have a skip button in the form of a heart monitor, it takes quite a long time to fill.

The fact that there is little hand holding & an intriguing story makes this a buy & will nicely fill up a punchcard for this month.

Edited on 10/22/2011 at 2:45:12 AM PST

nwr1948x
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
15,360 Posts

[Post New]by nwr1948x on Oct 22, 11 2:36 AM
Don't know if it's a buy for me yet.It does seem like a good game though.

I keep waiting for Sophia to spring out from somewhere cursing Dorothy.

Tarlyna
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Tarlyna on Oct 22, 11 2:53 AM
This won't be a long detailed review...there are too many fishies swimming about, that can do that so very much better than I can even dream of! However, I do want to encourage people to give this game more than a 15 minute try. I found the beginning of the game rather boring and a bit annoying....but once you get going, the game is quite fun and intriguing! The story line seems to suck you in and the game is just different enough to keep me entertained, without being so "out there" that I find myself wandering about not having any idea of what to do!

If you don't find it to your liking in the first 15ish minutes, please give it another 15....you might be very pleasantly surprised! I know I was!

Have a lovely weekend!
Laurie
aka the queen of the run on sentence!

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Oct 22, 11 3:06 AM
LOved the game, once again another keeper, Thx Dev's and Kuddo's BF for showing the love to your fishes this weekend morning..

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Oct 22, 11 3:39 AM
Great, am downloading demo now. I had already played this at another site, so know it will be a buy as I thought it was a really good game. A bargain as a SE

Edited on 10/22/2011 at 6:49:33 AM PST

KelLew34
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by KelLew34 on Oct 22, 11 3:39 AM

Anyone else reminded of the Golden Girls when they read the title? Shady Pines was the nursing home the oldest was in before moving in with the rest of the girls .. Yes I still love that show!

ETA I am loving this game... the H0 scenes are a bit grainy, graphics a bit fuzzy and I am betting that is why we didn't get it as a CE. But I'm having no problems finding the H0s. It has a great storyline, some of the best voice acting I've seen in a game. I love the tapes..remins me of Dire Grove. This is definitely a game worth getting!

For a punch card credit worthy SE I'm giving it 4 ...only taking 1 away for the fuzzy/hazy/greenish scenes. Still a great game!

LOL@ the GG comments..glad I'm not the only one who loves that show! Its funny that I was watching it before I game to see what TGT was. I think we need to find a hot plate and burn this place down like Sophia did! heehee

Love it!

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Oct 22, 11 4:51 AM
Sorry, the fuzziness / darkness defeated me. If I turned the brightness up enough to see in the general scenes, the H0 scenes were washed out. If I turned it down enough for the H0s, I could barely see anything in the general scenes.

It may be just a bad match for my 13" netbook screen...too bad, because the gameplay was good, and the story did catch my interest. The map, although not interactive, was clearly going to be very useful, as it alerts you to where you are, and where you should check out.

For those who can make the lighting work, this looks like a keeper, especially as an SE. Happy gaming!

[Post New]by emilialucinda on Oct 22, 11 4:58 AM

Oh my gosh - the first thing I noticed was the name of the game!! I thought I was the only one who watched that show. The title of the game definitely caught my attention! Happy Gaming!

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Oct 22, 11 6:51 AM
You think, "Oh no--not another cookie-cutter asylum game"! Then you're waiting for that 98-pound, silver-haired dynamo Sophia to sashay onto your screen! Well, this isn't a comedy, and it's a cut above some of the other escape-from-the-hospital games.

The intro is almost too realistic--gunned down by a purse-snatcher, but you're still alive, yet in a coma in some derelict hospital 3 years later. No memory, no idea how you got there, but you come out of it, and the mystery begins!

The Options menu includes sliders for music and sound FX, and a brightness slider as well--good going, Fugazo! (Same developers as the World Mosaics series and the Fiction Fixers duo). Only the game cursor, but it works smoothly--expect the same cursor changes as in most games--directional arrows, magnifying glass, hand, etc. Two gameplay modes--Regular and Expert (Regular--sparklies). Voice acting (particularly during the Intro) is really good, and the graphics are well-done, although the hidden-object scenes could be a little clearer. The obligatory journal, a "task" list, and a non-interactive map all come in handy. There is some screen movement, so be prepared for a bit of motion. The hint system is a "click-on-an-item-in-the-H0-list," and it'll highlight that item. Different, but it works well.

This is one of the best SEs to come down the pike in quite a while--a good choice for one of my PunchCard coupon codes!

Edited on 10/22/2011 at 6:53:20 AM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Oct 22, 11 6:54 AM
I love this!
Right from the start I was impressed. The options menu gave me everything I look for. There are two difficulty modes.
Although I have never seen a hospital that dirty I have always enjoyed games in hospitals. IMO this has a fantastic storyline with a couple twists. Expected twists but, twists
You have to find cassettes throughout the story that are like a log of what is wrong or happening. I love this. Usually you just read the journal. The journal is still there and well done. There's also a map that does help.It won't let you jump yo locations but lets you know where you need to go next.
The hidden object scenes are more difficult than usual. It seems that mini games are a lot of fun. The hint refills quickly and you can choose which item you want to find.Bonus!
The graphics are fine for me but I know there will be some complaints. The voice overs are great. It's like narration of the story.
A definite buy for me!

LOL!! I have always been a Golden Girls fan too! Used to watch with my mother and still watch reruns when I can. It was the first thing I thought of when I read Shady Pines also. By the way WiccanWoman. The oldest ones name was Sophia

altomedea
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by altomedea on Oct 22, 11 7:04 AM
Thank you Sea Bamboo for an excellent and comprehensive description of the game. I agree with most other contributors that the game is definitely worth a buy. I like the atmospheric background sound - which actually made me jump initially when I progressed through the game.

The brightness (on my pc anyway) had to be put to nearly the maximum to be able to clearly see the game screens, but this , as previously mentioned, washed out the HOG scenes . Perhaps the creators were going for atmosphere ++, despite reducing clarity.

The puzzle I did at the beginning was a refreshing change - excellent mind mapping exercise - unless you cheat and write it down

Have to admit, I wouldn't like to play this in a dark room by myself - very absorbing plot which is made all the more compelling through the excellent voice acting, especially Stephanie!

My rating

bfgArnoStyx
Stingray
Stingray
5,877 Posts

[Post New]by bfgArnoStyx on Oct 22, 11 7:54 AM
Hello Fishies,

Swimming by to sticky this thread. Thanks for starting it up!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

If you are experiencing technical issues with the game, please refer to our Technical Issues thread here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Thank you!

-bfgArnoStyx

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 22, 11 8:20 AM
A blast from the past! Loved the Golden Girls as well. Unfortunately all have passed on except for Betty White who is still in the limelight at 85. Yeah for her. Anyway, Shady Pines - Sophia's nemesis! Nice little surprise from BF today. Actually can use my coupon for a free game. I must have at least 6 and nothing to purchase. Game is okay. However, I am becoming addicted to the CE's. My problem, very little time to play since school began. Nice break from grading tests and lesson plans! Thanks BF. By the way you know you are getting old when 16 year olds don't know about the Golden Girls and have never heard of I Love Lucy. Quite a wake up call!

Edited on 10/22/2011 at 8:21:32 AM PST

Go to: