bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Reviews for Strange Cases: The Secrets of Grey Mist Lake Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Oct 23, 11 12:21 AM

Hi Fishies!

We’d love to hear what you think of Strange Cases: The Secrets of Grey Mist Lake Collector's Edition; your reviews are very important to us and to other fishies. You’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game in here! You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you ended your game play, so that other players can get more out of this discussion!

Keep in mind a lot of people visiting this thread will have never played the game before so if you are posting spoilers please remember to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Feel free to go ahead and create a new discussion in the game forum if you’d like to discuss other topics than your general feedback on the game. If you are experiencing technical issues, remember to check out the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgKenai

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

Re:Reviews for Strange Cases: The Secrets of Grey Mist Lake Collector's Edition

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Oct 23, 11 12:29 AM
I downloaded this last night so why is there nothing new tonight? Am I missing something.....a day perhaps?

Edited on 10/23/2011 at 12:30:30 AM PST

Agent_99
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Agent_99 on Oct 23, 11 12:46 AM
tuttepeever wrote:I downloaded this last night so why is there nothing new tonight? Am I missing something.....a day perhaps?

Depends, where are you located? Your post date is dated Oct. 23, 12:29 AM - I've found that regardless of my local time, my posts are listed according to BF Time, never mind BF's idea of midnight is my 2 AM. Or maybe you got an inadvertently early choice? Lucky you!

p.s. edited for spelling

Edited on 10/23/2011 at 12:48:15 AM PST

lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

[Post New]by lackoo on Oct 23, 11 12:57 AM
Not another game which starting with a car accident .

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 23, 11 1:06 AM
Based on the demo only, it looks good, plays good, tells the story good, and I'm off to buy! (It appears to be a great improvement from the last Strange Case which I also liked) The only gripe I have is the usual one of no WS option or Aspect Ratio choice which is inexcusable for developers as we approach 2012---if some devs can do it, then ALL should include this tiny bit of extra programming-sorta lazy when they don't, IMHO.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 23, 11 1:20 AM
tuttepeever wrote:I downloaded this last night so why is there nothing new tonight? Am I missing something.....a day perhaps?

You downloaded the game 29 minutes after midnight PST. The game is released at precisely midnight PST. So, there you have it.

Edited for typo

Edited on 10/23/2011 at 2:29:22 AM PST

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Oct 23, 11 1:21 AM
Wow, this was a great game! The best one in a long time. The graphics were great as well as the voice overs and gameplay. During the demo, I only had to look at the Strategy Guide twice, yes, I admit it. The ****'s and minigames were good; the minigames, some of which were unique. I think the only issue that needed improvement was the music. It was on the "creepy" side like it was supposed to be, but it was very monotonous (sp?) . Anyway, I would still rate this a 10 out of 10 . Too bad it was a CE or I would buy it. Here's to hoping it will come out soon, if so, on SE.

maggisaxby
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by maggisaxby on Oct 23, 11 1:36 AM
Yes, It does start with ANOTHER car accident (sigh). AND you have to save ANOTHER village shrouded in fog!

Having said that, it seems a good game. I like the fact you have to perform some action before starting the **** scenes.

I have played about 30 mins so far and there seems to be quite a lot of going backward and foreward, which can be confusing, but that's all part of the game.

I have 'saved' 2 people so far. Does anyone know how many there are, and how long this game is?

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Oct 23, 11 1:51 AM
I really liked the storyline and thought the graphics were pretty good. Some interesting mini games but not to hard.

Liked the voices also but I thought the game played not as smooth as alot of games lately. To click the "close button" on the bottom of the screen and if like me I used the SG an you have to use 2 clicks if you look at a picture in the SG. Just seemed like there was alot of clicking X's and close buttons.

Off the purchase need a new game desperately soooo bored lol.

Happy game day

I forgot I purchased this game in Oct. now its Feb. lol. Still liked the storyline kept me interested. The graphics once I started playing were great and very sharp. enjoyed the bonus and felt it really wrapped the game up nicely.

The SG wasnt real smooth to work with it could use some upgrading the main problem I had with it was to many clicks to close out of it.

This game was really more advance than the previous Strange Case game.

Edited on 02/11/2012 at 6:17:37 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 23, 11 1:52 AM
Having felt utterly cheated by the last CE (Drawn, which was far too short), I'm reluctant now to pay the extra instead of waiting for the SE. However this game does look good; an unusual way to approach the hidden object scenes, finding something before you find anything! Graphics were perhaps grainy but appropriate to the game, story looks interesting albeit familiar, puzzles were easy enough so far, seemed to be a lot of back-tracking to revisit certain scenes but having got half way through the demo and thinking 'I'm not sure about this', it kind of drew me in.

I think I'll wait until someone finishes it, see how long it is and then decide whether or not to buy another CE (the only exception will be RE2, which apparently is due soon. That will be a 'don't even try, just buy'!!).

ETA: I'm in the UK, which from the time stamp is 8 hours ahead of BFG's midnight, so get the TGT at 8am.

Edited on 10/23/2011 at 2:00:27 AM PST

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Oct 23, 11 2:15 AM
As soon as the game started all I could think of was I bet they crash, viola so they did then one character disappears, we have darkness, we have fog, locks, and ghosts,who need to be saved. The game is beautifully made and I like the graphics which are even better then the first two games which I enjoyed. My problem with this one is the deja vu factor, been there done that. Since I still have a great number of games purchased and yet to be played I think I'll add this one to my wait list file for the next time we have a drought of good games to play. For those who have not yet tired of this type of story line go ahead and enjoy because the game play looks good, and unless the length of the first chapter of the demo is a bait and switch tactic it could be a game of decent length. Have fun.

Edited on 10/23/2011 at 11:51:52 AM PST

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on Oct 23, 11 2:17 AM
Almost the same story as "gardians of beyond witchville". I played the demo and like this one more than the "gardians...) Puzzles are better, hog are clear, objects are easy to find and there is something special with a card you need to find first, the definition is much better on my computer (1920-1080). If I have to buy one of those two I definitely choose for this one...but...I'll wait till the se comes out, because everything is a CE now...and there are voice overs ok...but not for every scene...
PS Hope there will not be a third fog/acccident/witch game in a few days...Was there a work for students with those three subjects perhaps ???
- Raska -

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Oct 23, 11 2:18 AM
I love this game. Yes, there is a lot of forward and backward, but I don't mind. HOS are very clever. Puzzles are easy except the snake puzzle.

It's a good story! I played now for 2 hours and still in chapter one. I think this one is a good lenght.

And I did bought the game.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Oct 23, 11 2:25 AM
I like the game, but think the play is kinda clunky at times. I dislike having to open and close inventory, and often have to click on an inventory item a couple of times before it will let me pick it up. Also noticed that some hog scenes have repeat items, which to me is lazy. I also had to skip the first snake puzzle door as I just couldn't get it to work for me. Other than that, I like the voices, the story, and don't mind backtracking to get a needed item. After the disappointing length of the new Drawn, I am playing this one very slowly...making it last, lol. I took my time with Drawn too but it still didn't last that long. CEs used to be major events at one time, but those days are gone forever.

eta: This fills my widescreen fully...didn't change anything.

Edited on 10/23/2011 at 2:27:42 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 23, 11 2:28 AM
I don`t care if all these darker games start off with a car crash. I guess these people have to have a good reason for stopping at the most impossible places, and a car crash is as good as any.

Well, I played the trial version for an hour, and haven`t finished it yet. That is always a good sign.

This was a pleasant surprise. I own the first game, but never bought the second one, because it wasn`t quite my cup of cha.

However, I do really like this game. Lots of puzzles to do - not hard at all - and lots of looking around and finding things.

I also like how some of the HOS (hidden object scenes) work - some of them quite interactive in a different kind of way than I usually see.

The HOS are a little too dark and murky for my liking - I have to increase the brightness to max when I do those - but they are doable.

There is a choice of system or custom cursor - I would suggest custom cursor, so you can see the different changes. I also like the voice-over - very well done. And the SG (strategy guide) stays where you last left it open.

All in all, an enjoyable game. However, I don`t know whether I want to buy the CE or rather wait for the SE. Will have to see what those who finished the bonus game will say about it.

brooklynblonde
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by brooklynblonde on Oct 23, 11 2:33 AM
A good game, just not sure it's worth the CE price. Would love to know how many chapters this game is-the SG only lists chapter 1. Good graphics, and I like the "find the cards" twist that goes with the HOS.

Edited on 10/23/2011 at 2:33:53 AM PST

Izziewizz
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by Izziewizz on Oct 23, 11 3:11 AM
I'm optimistic too - after Drawn, which I love as a series but won't buy as a CE because of what I've read on here about the length of the game, and the fact that I couldn't get past that flamin' eye puzzle and there wasn't a skip. (If you know different, please enlighten me on the appropriate thread!)

OK, so starting with a car crash and saving a fog shrouded village may not be highly original, but IMO, it's preferable to the asylum scenario.

Valdy, I suppose a car crash is a reason to stop, but do these people never need a cuppa or a loo break? I've just had an idea - the haunted sat nav, that directs people down a road that doesn't really exist (just like in real life).

I'll trial this one later and keep my fingers crossed that it's a good long game.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 23, 11 3:28 AM
Izziewizz wrote:Valdy, I suppose a car crash is a reason to stop, but do these people never need a cuppa or a loo break? I've just had an idea - the haunted sat nav, that directs people down a road that doesn't really exist (just like in real life).

LOL What a difference it would make to hear one of the characters say: "Just hang on a minute, got to go to the loo." And then you see them disappear into the bathroom, and hear that unmistakable sound of "water running". LOL Why not?

[Post New]by Holkis on Oct 23, 11 4:08 AM
I usually love this kind of game but i must admit after playing for 10 minutes i was bored senseless.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Oct 23, 11 4:52 AM
LOL when I saw them in the car I thought I wonder how long it is going to be before they crash and lo and behold they did .

It isn't the same old story that makes me reluctant to purchase this game but, having played the full demo time, I think it is a fairly good game and I like the voices but there is just something lacking in it for me, although je ne sais quoi, and so I am afraid that Tom is on his own and will have to save himself instead of having the little woman do it for him .

Cherb

Go to: