[Post New]by textrekkie on Oct 24, 11 6:04 AM
A place for your comments for Secrets of the Past: Mother's Diary

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Comments for Secrets of the Past: Mother's Diary

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 24, 11 2:28 PM
Hi Textrekkie... I have missed your review for "Strange Cases: The Secrets of Grey Mist".

Anyway... seeing that this is yet another game from GFI, I had no high hopes for it, but downloaded the demo anyway, just to give it a go.
I own a few GFI games, and although the graphics are always rather good, there is always something that lags with their games. So I decided never to buy another game from them again.

Anyway, downloaded the demo anyhoo, and right away noticed that not only does the cursor lag considerable (as other fishies have also said), but the size of the screen was half that what I usually have, which means I would have to manually change the resolution for this game, to get it full screen. Well, lagging cursor - was hardly able to move it at all - and the small size of the screen decided me not to even bother changing the resolution, and just deleted the game again.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Oct 24, 11 11:42 PM
Hi there,
Whilst I didn't have the lagging cursor or screen problem, the "watchful eye" Hint icon drove me crazy and I exited very quickly.
Note to developers: Please do not have such distracting items constantly moving, blinking, winking, sparkling, shimmying or whatever.
Cheers

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Oct 25, 11 1:42 AM
the hint button is annoying as it made my eyes roll around in my head to...as far as the hidden object scenes...man they blow...all garbled up and made no sense...the developers need to look at other games and get a clue...the graphics sucked...also to slow moving...the mini games were not a challenge...would not buy this game...

swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

[Post New]by swedane on Oct 25, 11 7:25 AM
Underthebridge wrote:the hint button is annoying as it made my eyes roll around in my head to...as far as the hidden object scenes...man they blow...all garbled up and made no sense...the developers need to look at other games and get a clue...the graphics sucked...also to slow moving...the mini games were not a challenge...would not buy this game...
Having that HUGE eyeball/hint button following the cursors every move is like having a peeping tom lurking about. Thought of putting some masking over it, but rather than waste the tape I deleted the demo.
A definite NO Buy for this

[Post New]by HOTTENTOTVENUS on Oct 25, 11 3:44 PM
All I can say about this game is this: CREEPY!! Really don't want any EYEBALLS following me all over the game! Gonna pass on this one, I think.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Oct 25, 11 8:18 PM
This is a good game for those who love Hidden Object Scenes. They are everywhere
There were a few things that bothered me about this game though. Those hidden object scenes were one. You have to play the same scenes more than once and quite often ask you to find the same items over again for some unknown reason. There is no need. There are many other items that could have been listed.
I would also like to know where the person was from that made the lists. If you don't know a Hockey Stick from a Golf Club you probably shouldn't list it Here are few more that pop into my head now.
Shovel = Dust Pan and vice versa
Goggles = glasses
Pendulum = Weight
There are more but those are what stood out at this moment.

This is also a short game. I had fun playing it but wish I would have got it as a DD. That's what I get for breaking my own rules Never before have I bought a game that didn't have a walk through or Strategy Guide so I can check for length after I play the demo.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Oct 25, 11 9:41 PM
The screenshots already put me off. Here is a scene that looks like something from a Georgette Heyer romance, but the objects include all manner of new items like electric fan, telephone, and a multicolored fuzzy duster. Nope. I hate anachronisms in HOG scenes.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Oct 26, 11 9:10 AM
Nit-pickey, I know, but in Intro, it bothered me to have foster-mother
referred to as "step-mother". At least it was changed in the
journal and referred to as adopted mother.

Off topic, but find it strange that mods will post in Review thread
reminding posters to only post "reviews" there and they should go to the
Comments thread for other discussions, but refuse to sticky the
Comments thread!

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Oct 28, 11 5:19 PM
DragonLadyOz wrote:Hi there,
Whilst I didn't have the lagging cursor or screen problem, the "watchful eye" Hint icon drove me crazy and I exited very quickly.
Note to developers: Please do not have such distracting items constantly moving, blinking, winking, sparkling, shimmying or whatever.
Cheers

I didn't like the big eyeball either! Something more fitting to the game such as an antique candlestick with a candle that was lighted when the hint was ready would have been nice!

lildawnie
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by lildawnie on Oct 29, 11 9:07 AM
I agree with a lot of the comments posted here. The hint button didn't bother me. I guess i just tuned it out. I enjoyed the game and I also enjoyed the challenge of not having a walk through. Not that one was specifically needed here. What bothered me the most was, as someone said, it put in mind of a romance novel and that's fine, but the ending was too abrupt. So she knows what happend...okay. these are some pretty hefty pieces of property. What happens to her, to the property? She is a "Lady" now. Maybe if you'd started this from the viewpoint of her meeting a lawyer. She's 18 now. the heretofor unknown lawyer and gives her the letter and the jewelry box. (The term casket through me off on more than one occassion.) Don't build the story line then leave it hanging. Game or novel, there needs to be a beginning, a middle and an end.

[Post New]by susieql15401 on Oct 29, 11 5:26 PM
hated this game only played for a few minutes eyeball hint wouldn't work
definitely needs a walkthrough

kadee277
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by kadee277 on Oct 29, 11 6:47 PM
I cannot even get past the first bridge. What do you do with Lions?

Go to: