bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Heroes of Hellas 3: Athens

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Oct 26, 11 12:20 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Heroes of Hellas 3: Athens? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about the game in this thread. We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond! To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game!

A lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

Re:Reviews for Heroes of Hellas 3: Athens

[Post New]by care___916 on Oct 26, 11 12:24 AM
I purchased this game from the dev's. Heroes of Hellas 2 is much better than this #3.

I regret purchasing this game and I didnt get the feeling that this game is replayable like #2 which I love and still play.

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Oct 26, 11 2:14 AM
care 196 .. what was it you didn't like about this game especially?

I was really pleased to see this being offered today, because Heroes of Hellas is one of my favourite series. I was only playing the second one last night.

But i've been taken in like this before - especially with the Jewel Quest series, which hasn't been consistently good.

Would appreciate your comments.
Thanks
Jo

Novalin
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Novalin on Oct 26, 11 3:35 AM
I bought it straight off based on the fact I enjoyed the first 2 so much.

Only had time to play a few levels but so far it looks good, with improved graphics and more additions to gameplay.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Oct 26, 11 4:34 AM
I prefer Match-3 than chains match, but I like to rebuild locations... - seems that I can compromise with the first in order to achieve the second.

Wonderful graphic, preferable Relaxed Mode. It's a buy...

Thanks Developers, thanks BF!

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Oct 26, 11 6:12 AM
Same game different story. I don't want to spend money on something I already have, duh

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Oct 26, 11 11:08 AM
I've enjoyed the first two games in the Heroes of Hellas series, and this one seems to be even better (to me, at least). I'm not feeling well today, so I've been sitting here playing it for going on 3 hours, and still find it very nice.

Yes, there isn't lots of new stuff there, but the old stuff is still good, and there are some new wrinkles, like having the beginning of a board appear like a puzzle game (you have to find the order in which to play the tokens). And the mini-games are different enough to be fun.

I'm ambivalent about the (gorgeous, but . . .) moving backgrounds to the level panels. I'm not much bothered by that, but some people will be, I'm sure.

For me, this is a "must have" game. Fortunately, I don't have any kids around the house, so I don't have to worry about what kind of questions might arise from having Oedipus be the narrator!

nancehere
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by nancehere on Oct 26, 11 11:46 AM
After playing about half the demo, I immediately purchased this game! I have the first two in this game series and it certainly lives up to the good reputation achieved by those games. Graphics are great with good colors and not too cluttered. Love the city map of all things. I play relaxed in these games as I really don't need the stress I get when playing timed games. And I'm the type that stops and looks around at things forgetting about time. The width is still not full but to camouflage the hated black bars, the developers placed a lovely design to fill in those spaces.....much nicer.

It's a shame that so many players have had problems downloading? I had no trouble at all and started playing immediately without any problems. I did find the cursor easier to handle when using the game cursor and not regular windows.

For anyone who likes to mix up their categories in game playing and for relaxation, this one is perfect. My game ownership is 3/4 hidden object/adventure and 1/4 match three.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Oct 26, 11 12:48 PM
A great Match 3 game.. It has lots of action and story is a good one too. Like that it has different levels of play. Music suits the game and it's just a fun game and I imagine it will get a lot harder as I play. If you like Match 3 games this is a game to buy.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 26, 11 5:12 PM

I had alot of trouble downloading this game but it has turned out to be almost worth it.

Lots to do, better graphics and fun gameplay!! No voices but I don't miss that silly ultra low voice in HOH-2.

I bought it and I'm now very happy about that.

Novalin
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by Novalin on Oct 26, 11 5:36 PM
Having played it for a while now I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who liked the first 2 in the series.

The only minus I've found is I could have done without the HOG scenes/

gpj53
Guppy
Guppy
141 Posts

[Post New]by gpj53 on Oct 26, 11 7:52 PM
Enjoyed the trial and will probably purchase. I enjoyed No 1 (replayed a few times) and can't remember No 2 so it probably didn't do much for me, must have been similar to No 1 enough that I didn't bother. This one, apart from the **** scenes which I really dislike in M3s, is quite enjoyable with enough variation to make it interesting.

Lyndy20
Clownfish
Clownfish
543 Posts

[Post New]by Lyndy20 on Oct 26, 11 8:41 PM
Apart from a somewhat slow download I had no problems and purchased as soon as the trial finished. I love everything about this game, the beautiful graphics, varied M3 gameplay, the puzzles and hidden object levels, even clicking on the citizens to see their thoughts. I've not played the previous games in this series and I am sure to give them a try now.

MKD7777
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by MKD7777 on Oct 27, 11 7:29 AM
I bought this game from the developer as soon as it came out since good match 3 games are so few to be offered. The only negative thing I have to say is it is too slow to download. It is really a beautiful game and well made. I am sorry I had to purchase it from another site, but I couldn't wait to get it!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 27, 11 9:37 AM
I had fun while playing the trial version, but I will wait till we have the next sale or if I need another game for my punchcard. For me personally, the game is too similar too the previous game

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Oct 27, 11 5:00 PM
BlueStarFish wrote:This is a wonderful M3, made by Jaibo Games and third in the series - the others being Heroes of Hellas, and Heroes of Hellas 2: Olympia.

Matching is Chain-to-Match.
There is a choice of Timed or Untimed mode.

The city of Athens has been destroyed by an unknown enemy, and your goal is to restore it to its former glory, and find out who did it. Your quest comes from none other than the goddess Athena herself.
You earn gold by doing M3 levels, to purchase buildings. There is no choice in where to put them, but you may choose between three different looks for each building.

The M3 levels have some variety in what the goal is; either collect all the gold tiles; or drop various objects such as gems or keys to the bottom. In some levels you collect locket fragments but those are few compared to HoH2. Special tiles that can be used in any match are Lightning bolt, Coins, bombs - just as in HoH2.
The familiar obstacles are chains, monolith tiles, black (ice) tiles.

Powerups comes in the form of "Heroes" whose abilities must be charged by matching tiles of their corresponding colour.

On the City map you also have things to do other than building - look carefully around the city and you may find bags of gold or gems to collect.
In between you also get Hidden Object levels where you go on an Artifact search, things to protect the city from e.g Fiery Rain, etc. You then must assemble the Articfact, as if a jig-saw.

There are awards - as in HoH2, which gives an extra incentive to play skilfully, or an extra 'goal' in the M3 levels, so to speak.

The puzzle levels that was in HoH2 are not there in the regular game. But once you have finished the main game you get "bonus play" - an opportunity to build your own Castle. Here you have 15 regular M3 levels, and 15 puzzle levels - where you have a limited number of moves and must figure the exact sequence of matching, when to use a special tile or a Hero. I loved these levels in the previous instalment and missed them, am glad they turned up in the end.

In my opinion this is just as good as HoH2 - not too many changes so it is very recognisable, but some differences were made to make it interesting and new. My only dislike was the Hidden Object levels - they could have done without.

I agree with everything positive above - the only difference for me is that I've enjoyed the hidden object part of the game.
It's a pretty long game, too. I'm still playing my first time

Lainie221
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by Lainie221 on Oct 29, 11 9:10 AM
I'm new to this series, but I'm quite pleased that I tried Heroes of Hellas 3: Athens. The match 3 part (chain matching) is different from most I've played in that the wild cards (bombs, coins, lanterns) will allow the player to match ONE of the items with 2 or more of the wild cards. A bit of a cheat, perhaps, but I like it!

The boards are varied and take a while to clear since on the higher levels, you must free keys to unlock parts of the board, but when one lock opens, other parts of the board become encased in ice or locked between boulders, or buried under “monoliths” (metal-like stones). Although I play in un-timed mode, the game provides a bit of exhilaration on some boards because tiles at random will become frozen while the player tries to collect artifact pieces or all the golden tiles. Fortunately, the deities will assist the player once several of their preferred colored stones are collected. These power-ups vary and include re-shuffling the board, clearing all gems of one color, destroying several ropes, stones, or other impediments from the board, and (my personal favorite) dispersing 15 gold coins (wild cards that also serve as currency in the game for rebuilding Athens) on the board.

As for the actual controls while matching, I found that if I tried to move too quickly in a curving chain, the controls balked. There is a visible arrow (small, yet visible) that shows you what direction the game thinks you're going in, so you can correct it. Not a huge problem. Plus, despite there being a re-shuffling power-up, the player isn't penalized when there are no matches (at least in un-timed mode; I haven't tried timed mode); the board automatically reshuffles. There are many simple awards to obtain for such things as asking the gods for help three times, bursting a number of tiles, collecting a number of gold coins, and so on. Very relaxing.

The hidden object portion comes up very seldom, and the sparkles provide nudges for hiding places the player must reveal before the object can be found. It's a piecing together hidden object scene (FROG). Some of the objects are fairly well hidden, but I’ve only used the hint tool a few times and mainly just to get on with the M3 part of the game.

This game is not at all difficult (perhaps too easy for many) but a good way to unwind when one is taking a break from more addictive games.

Audreyrpeters
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by Audreyrpeters on Oct 29, 11 10:51 AM
So happy to see Heroes of Hellas 3. I purchased without any hesitation. I have played #1and #2 over and over. This has the best of both and some new twists mentioned in previous posts. I like hidden object and jigsaw puzzles so I love the addition of this element. I can't however figure out what the award for treasures in the city are.

[Post New]by disneygirl01 on Oct 29, 11 2:29 PM
Hello Everyone,
Happy Halloween... LOL
I to have all three now i have been hoping they would come out with another HOH.
How ever I'm not thrilled with HOH3. i wish they had left it like #1 and part of #2. I dislike all these side mini games, hidden objects,puzzles and you have no choice to go see the olive tree... Who cares I just want to PLAY! Sorry about the complaining... Just voicing my opinion. Love HoH Happy Gaming everyone.
Take Care,Be Well and God Bless!
Regards!
DG

[Post New]by SmokeyMtnLinda on Oct 30, 11 2:43 PM
AWESOME GAME!!! I expected it to be like the other, which I really liked, but was looking for something a little different and you sure gave it to me! Love the variety of new mini-games and the great storyline, even the graphics are better. Great job on the upgrading.

Go to: