bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Citadels of Time

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Oct 28, 11 12:13 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Echoes of the Past: The Citadels of Time? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about the game in this thread. We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond! To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game!

A lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

limey_scale
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

Re:Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Citadels of Time

[Post New]by limey_scale on Oct 28, 11 1:07 AM
Good morning fishies I have been waiting for this to come out as a SE. Enjoyed the demo on the CE and will post a proper review once played

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Oct 28, 11 2:12 AM
I remember playing this before so it must have been a CE. Its a good game. The graphics and music are good and so is the gameplay. The ****'s and minigames are challenging enough. I would rate this a 9 out of 10. I have a credit and I believe I'm going to use it.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 28, 11 3:02 AM
I have bought the CE before a few weeks (but didn`t finished it) and liked the game very much. Graphic is pretty good, gameplay also. I think this is the best one in the Echoes series.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Oct 28, 11 4:40 AM
This is the third in the Echoes of the Past series (Royal House of Stone, Castle of Shadows) and I believe the best.

Here are some excerpts from my reveiw of the CE:

Playing in Advanced mode, using no hints, no skips and no Strategy Guide, regular game play for me was 6.5 hours.

The graphics are very sharp, even in the HOS and they still have the best interactive HOS around. Voiceovers are well done and suitable to the characters with the right amount of emotion. The ambient/background sound FX were done well, although used sparingly. The music could have been better - perhaps something more subdued and haunting rather than pounding and tense. I would be remiss, however, if I didn't mention that some of the HOS items are a bit "clicky picky". You either have to click the border and not the middle or the middle and not the border of some items.

This installment has fewer HOS and more puzzles than previous games in the series. Orneon has always provided good mini-games in Echoes, but they outdid themselves here, giving a huge variety of puzzles with varying degrees of difficulty (some of them real easy, many of them difficult).

For outstanding graphics, continuity in storyline, excellent FX, smoothness in play, great voiceover work, great interactive HOS scenes, wonderful and varied puzzles, unbelievable length of play, I'm giving 4 1/2 out of 5 stars. I'm withholding 1/2 because of sparkles in bonus chapter, (doesn't honor advanced mode) music and the "clicky picky" items. But it is an incredible game. Well done!! 1/2

Edited on 10/28/2011 at 4:48:27 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Oct 28, 11 7:19 AM
This is a "wonderful" game. For all who didn't already buy the CE, I would highly recommend you get the SE. One of the better ones in IMO. I wasn't bored for one second.

Graphics are great
Fun puzzles not too hard
Good voice overs
Good H0 scenes and interaction
and its a good storyline

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Oct 28, 11 8:04 AM
excellent game don't forget to use the spooky coupon 4.99 special worth every penny

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Oct 28, 11 10:21 AM
Played demo for about 15 mins.. I think I like this one !!! Enjoyed the other echoes and agree that this is looking to be the best .going to use the Spooky Coupon right now thanks Big Fish I was needing something to get my" teeth into" I will get back when game is done

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Oct 28, 11 1:30 PM
Echoes of the Past is a trilogy of games from Orneon & this is the third; you do not need to have played the first two to enjoy this offering but they are well worth it & it’s always good to have some background.

There are a lot of puzzles to solve in this game, some of them are fiendishly difficult & many are original. The hidden object scenes are good too & have interactive items which is always fun. Some of them, rather than being word lists are where you are given items to ‘put back’ into the scene. You will need to go back & forth between scenes quite a lot & there is no map, you just get a journal which does not really provide many clues.

The graphics are excellent, as is the artwork & it filled my widescreen, however I was not keen on the music & the background sounds seemed to rely on a lot of creaking & footsteps.

There are two modes of play; regular with sparkles abounding & advanced with no sparkles. The hint recharge is a fast 15 seconds in both modes.

The voiceovers are mainly in the cut scenes & well suited to the game.

All in all this is a definite buy for me.

vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

[Post New]by vingilot on Oct 28, 11 5:54 PM
Here's my review, based on the CE:

The demo doesn't do this game justice. The demo deals with one time period and, depending how fast you play, you can finish that and begin the second in an hour. It gives the game a linear feel, especially as you use the inventory items almost at once. Fortunately, it gets more complex and non-linear as you play. The puzzles are variations of the ones we've seen in previous games, but there are certainly some that will make you think. HOG scenes are either list or put back. The latter type sort of gets forgotten near the end, which is a shame because I like those ones better.

There are five or six different time periods you must correct to get out of the castle and back to your own time, making this a long game, even before the bonus. The graphics are top notch, the characters are fun and voiced over, not quite as static as previous games. They've really beefed up the design with this one. I didn't encounter any real glitches. Near the end though when I was trying to take the last clock number from the painting, the game wouldn't let me. I backed out of the painting, went back in and was able to grab it. No issues with the clock as others reported.

The core game is complete, if you want to wait for the SE, you won't miss anything plot wise. You'll miss an excellent bonus game though. It took me well over an hour, possibly closer to two, to complete.

The core game has different modes of difficulty. Playing in challenge mode you get no sparkles anywhere, just cursor changes.

The core game takes place in the castle and the grounds, just as the first one. You get to visit a few new areas, such as the greenhouse and the lake, but mostly it's the same rooms as before, redecorated according to the time period.

There is an option for widescreen but I could only get it to play in full screen.

Overall, this is an excellent HOPA.

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Oct 28, 11 9:00 PM
What can I say that hasn't already been said. It's a great game. I enjoyed the first two, which I bought as SE's, and I've been very impatiently waiting for this third installment to come out as an SE too. It seems like it's been months since the CE was released. What a great Halloween treat for us all. I didn't even bother to demo it...I just bought it immediately. Let's hope BFG has a couple more SE "treats" for us this weekend during the $4.99 sale. Happy Halloween everyone.

10/30/11. PS. My only negative comment: They could have made the hint circle a lot smaller in the h. o. scenes. Sometimes, I have clicked ten times trying to find something...other than that, I love it. Perhaps BFG could pass this comment on to the developers.

Edited on 10/30/2011 at 5:03:46 PM PST

ZuluDawn13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by ZuluDawn13 on Oct 29, 11 4:11 AM
Most fishies have said it all - a beautifully crafted game which will hold your interest for hours and hours.. it was a very long game! Spent about 6 hours on it..

Enjoyed the Puzzles and the Hidden Object scenes were not too junk piley.. could find things ok.

I waited to buy the SE version and was pleasantly surprised to be able to buy at a special price to top it off - Thank You BF.

Thank You to the Developers of this series - A lot of people were involved in creating this game and I really appreciate your work.

Edited on 10/29/2011 at 4:12:35 AM PST

suniris
Guppy
Guppy
180 Posts

[Post New]by suniris on Oct 29, 11 8:02 AM
Used the spooky coupon and so glad I did.
good gameplay, great graphics, music not too annoying, mini puzzels just right )(for me) not too difficult, the easier ones at least keep you busy for a time.

I will replay this one a few times to complete all the mini games I skipped ( too anxious to get to the end).

Great Job developers

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Oct 29, 11 11:43 AM
I liked this game & I am hoping there will be a part 2. Good Graphics, game play etc. I am glad BF has the spooky coupon.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Oct 29, 11 12:03 PM
everything has been said about this game that can be said..it is a good game and well worth buying..just in time for spooky halloween..

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Oct 29, 11 3:26 PM
tazdaffy wrote:I liked this game & I am hoping there will be a part 2. Good Graphics, game play etc. I am glad BF has the spooky coupon.

Actually, tazdaffy, this is part 3 of the series....the first two were quite good too, but this is the best one.

9gamer5
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by 9gamer5 on Oct 29, 11 5:25 PM
I demoed the CE and bought the SE of this game and I'm glad I did. You do get your money's worth here. The game is lengthy and didn't feel shortchanged in the least. The mini puzzles are challenging the **** scenes are clear and objects are easy to spot. There is definitely replay value here.

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Oct 29, 11 6:33 PM
Wow, great game, and with a reasonable ending for an SE -- not just chopped off -- thanks! My ONLY complaint is the music, just various tired tracks looping over and over, some familiar already from commercials or whatever. But the play was terrific and very long. And the voice acting was well done, too, which is almost never true. Highly recommended.

blue1955
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by blue1955 on Oct 29, 11 11:42 PM
I can say this was a great buy. Voice overs were good, graphics great and time play great. Bought the SE version and was not disappointed at all. No sparkles in advanced mode.

ChocCherry
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by ChocCherry on Oct 30, 11 12:32 PM
Wow! What a great game. I've played and played and played and I'm still not done. It has great graphics, games, HOG's and story. Finally a good buy for my money.

Go to: