cstdenis
Salmon
Salmon
2,948 Posts

If you get an access violation error...

[Post New]by cstdenis on Oct 28, 11 6:39 PM
when you try to use a hermes wings at any point, you can get around that by running the game from the .exe file vs using the game manager or the "Play HofH3" icon on your desktop.

I have had this happen not only in this game but in MKFTPIII as well, and so now I always go to the game folder and set up a desktop shortcut to the .exe file so that it goes around the game manager.
The GM has been buggy like this for years, because some of the memory it uses conflicts with the game's memory sometimes. I've told BFG about this, but they can't seem to fix it.
This is my workaround for that.

cstdenis
Salmon
Salmon
2,948 Posts

Re:If you get an access violation error...

[Post New]by cstdenis on Oct 29, 11 3:24 PM
Decided to go ahead and put instructions here on how to do what I stated above. It is possible to get the access violation error after you have played the game for awhile. These same steps will work for that too.

If you have WIN7 or Vista, here is what you do:

1) Right click the Play Now icon that BF put on your desktop.
2) Choose Open File Location from the menu that pops up.
bbbbba)You will get a windows explorer window that shows you a list of files and folder associated with the game.
bbbbbb)Your .exe (executable file) may be hidden. If you don't see the file "hoh3.exe" then it is hidden. Or you may see the file hoh3, but not the extension (the part after the "."). If you see the file, skip to step 2c,if you don't see the file, do the following:
bbbbbbbbi) Click the organize button in the top of the window, then choose layout, then make sure the words "menu bar" has a checkmark next to it. If it doesn't, then click the box to checkmark it. Now you should see a menu bar at the top of the window.
bbbbbbbbii) Choose the "Tools" item, then "Folder Options..." on the bottom of the pop-out menu.
bbbbbbbbiii) another window pops up with three tabs. Choose the "view" tab. Now you have a list of a bunch of stuff with checkboxes next to them. Look at the list and about six down you will see "hidden files" with two circle choices (these are called radio buttons). Choose "show hidden files,..." Don't close it yet. Look two more lines down and you should see a checkbox that says "hide extensions for known file types" uncheck that box by clicking on it.
bbbbbbbbiv) click ok. Now you should see the files that were hidden and you should see the extensions.
bbbbbc) Right click on the file hoh3.exe and choose the "send to" option in the pop up window. Then choose "desktop (create shortcut)."
3) Now you should have an icon on your desktop that you can launch the game from. This will keep the game manager from launching, so you don't have that access error any more. Try it out and see if it works.

I have WIN7, so these are the exact words you will see in the menu items. If you have vista or xp, the steps are similar, just some of the words may be a bit different.

Edited on 10/29/2011 at 3:28:34 PM PST

[Post New]by soundgrumpy on Oct 29, 11 4:23 PM
Good instructions.......I was able to follow without a hitch but it still doesn't work for me (see my thread)

cstdenis
Salmon
Salmon
2,948 Posts

[Post New]by cstdenis on Oct 30, 11 8:55 AM
Make sure you do NOT run it from the icon that BF puts on your desktop.
You should see a different shortcut that is just titled hoh3 shortcut.

The other thing you can try is before you send the file to your desktop, is to right-click the hoh3.exe file and choose "properties", then choose the compatibility tab, then on the bottom click the box that says "run as administrator" - make sure it's checkmarked. Choose ok or apply.

Then send the file to your desktop as a shortcut and play it from there. Delete the icon the BF put there, so you don't play it from that one accidentally.

rink_chick
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by rink_chick on Oct 31, 11 10:53 AM
This technique got me up to 8-13 and then no go again.

cstdenis
Salmon
Salmon
2,948 Posts

[Post New]by cstdenis on Oct 31, 11 10:59 AM
The only thing I can think of to get you past the 8-13 error is maybe it is a graphics card issue.
You might try updating your graphics drivers and see if that helps. Either way, you should contact BFG Customer service (green envelope on right) and report the issue. Maybe they will put a patch out to the game.

cstdenis
Salmon
Salmon
2,948 Posts

[Post New]by cstdenis on Nov 3, 11 7:13 PM
I was able to replicate the problem with the blue hermes wings on level 3-15 and I solved it by doing the following:

I went to the exe file in the program folder (see instructions above about how to find the file), then I right-clicked the file name, chose properties, and clicked the compatibility tab. Under compatibility mode, I check marked "run this program in compatibility mode" and I chose Win XP (Service Pack 3). I also checked the box "run as administrator" on the bottom.

It was able to do the blue wings after I did all that. I will keep going and see if I can get the same error in 8-14 that everyone is getting and/or see if that helps.

You may try doing that to see if it will work.

Good luck

Neshiao
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Neshiao on Nov 6, 11 6:24 PM
I didn't get this error until level 6-15 but tried your solution and so far it is working great but the bottom line is that BF should fix the problem. If this many of us are having a problem then there is definitely a problem and I think it is strange that we all got the problem with the aqua wings. Anyway thanks so much for the solution I really didn't want to reload the game and have to start over and run into the same problem again.

[Post New]by thorzten on Nov 8, 11 2:54 AM
Simply run the game "As Adminstrator". Right click on the icon and choose "run as administrator".

That should do the trick.

bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Nov 8, 11 3:58 PM
Hi fishies,

We are aware of an issue that's been causing this game to crash with an Access Violation error message for some of our players, so if the tips cstdenis suggested haven't solved the issue for you, we'd really appreciate your help as we continue working towards a permanent solution.

How can you help? Well since this isn't an issue that everyone is experiencing, we'll need to figure out which types of systems are being affected. So if you could please run a Dr. Felix report and then send that over to our Tech Support team, the more information that we can gather, the better!

Thank you for your patience, and if there are any updates on this issue, we'll be sure to post something in the forums.

In the meantime, because we already have a thread in this forum dedicated to technical issues, I'll be locking this one, but please feel free to re-post your comments HERE if you haven't already.

Thanks!

-bfgHondo

Go to: