bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Oct 29, 11 12:11 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about the game in this thread. We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond! To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game!

A lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

portulaca
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands

[Post New]by portulaca on Oct 29, 11 12:41 AM
Played half an hour - no problems, great graphics, intriguing storyline - off to purchase. Have been waiting a couple of months for this.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Oct 29, 11 1:40 AM
This is a definite buy for me if for no other reason than the wonderful puzzles, many of which are different from the usual & some of them are extremely difficult but there is a skip button if you get too frustrated. In addition the hidden objects are also a good mix of different ways to solve, for instance you may have to find four items but have to solve a puzzle within the scene to open a box to get another word list.

The graphics are crystal clear & the artwork is stupendous, the scenes are so well drawn. There is a voiceover during the cut scenes & you can skip the dialogue but try not to be tempted as some of it is amusing. The scenes filled my widescreen nicely.

You will get a journal which tells the story, has clues & gives a task list; in addition the task list can be found on the inventory bar. Sometimes it can be quite hard to figure out what to do though so I did quite a lot of tracking to & from scenes, there is no map. The hint button is not available in scenes where there is no action to perform.

There are two modes of play; casual with lots of sparkles, you start with 5 hints & they recharge in 20 seconds or expert, no sparkles for 15 to 20 seconds & then you get a glint which gets brighter if you have not clicked on an item. Here you get 3 hints recharging in 60 seconds.

The music wasn’t very memorable & rather repetitive & the background noises were in keeping with the game.

A splendid game to keep me interested for the weekend (it will take me ages to solve some of those puzzles) thanks to Floodlight Games & BFG Game Studios

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Oct 29, 11 7:07 AM
To start with, the walkthrough makes no sense. I was just too frustrated so I deleted and that was that. No buy here.

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Oct 29, 11 8:02 AM
I'm really enjoying this game. Intriguing story line with a twist that has me wondering what is coming next. Puzzles are fun and different. It's a buy for me with my spooky coupon.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Oct 29, 11 3:01 PM
Tried it because I like Hidden Expedition. Amazon is my favorite. I expected more from this game. In other series, like Mystery Legends, each successive game provided a better game experience. This one, honestly, just bored me. Maybe I didn't play long enough, but it just didn't grab me. For me, if I don't get sucked into the story in 20 or 30 minutes, its a no buy. Music is nothing special, graphics not as good as most. I also would expect good voiceovers. Too bad, because I was really looking forward to the SE release. I didn't trial the CE because I thought I would be tempted by it. Might be good for some, but not for me.

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Oct 29, 11 4:18 PM
So far I am really not getting into this game yet. Maybe I am just to tired. Will pick it back up tomorrow hopefully with a better review.

[Post New]by dcbfan on Oct 29, 11 6:27 PM
I loved this game. The puzzles are challenging and a lot of the scenes and comments are hilarious. The graphics are amazing and way better than the majority of the games I normally see here. I liked that the music wasn't really loud or obnoxious. I've already recommended it to several people. I can't wait for the next one!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Oct 29, 11 10:20 PM
Oh. My. NO. No no no. I was ready to buy and thank goodness I kept playing a while longer before buying because geeezzzzzeeeee.

Highlight below to read since this is a potential spoiler (not to the story but to a puzzle if you can call it that )

So... I *almost* bought this game and then came to "the box" the evil boring stupid box. You get a list of four things to find at a time but you will actually end up finding every stupid little thing in "the box" before you get the item you really need. Sure there are some things to do (example: lure a mouse with cheese) but basically it's just... here's a list of four things in the box, click on them, now here's four more things, click on them, and here's four more things, click on those too OVER AND OVER AND OVER until you finally get to the bottom... B.O.R.I.N.G.

Maybe if it's a DD but I'd have to be bored and out of other games. Not even willing to spring the $5 bucks with the coupon code. I'm sure some will like it... the graphics are fine... the story is average but ok... some voice acting but only in some parts which is odd, guess they cheaped out on actually using it for everything but it's not a CE so that's probably why... there's nothing really wrong with the game... just the stuff I hid to prevent spoilers which was so boring... I just wanted it to be DONE already. I have zero desire to keep playing the game. In fact I actually laughed out loud when it came up with the "thanks for playing the sample now buy the full version to continue playing" or something like that... LOL!!!!!! Yeah, no thanks.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Oct 29, 11 11:24 PM
Bought the game after playing the full demo. I especially enjoyed the crate 'puzzle'. I think it is more of an interactive zoom HOscene so I was surprised to see it had a skip!

The graphics are fairly colorful which is so welcome. I didn't have any problems in the HOscenes, except for a few too-small items in one scene. Overall, I liked the look and feel as I wandered around. Especially the crash scene with those critters! Hope the rest of the game holds up to the fun demo.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Oct 30, 11 4:05 AM
I have bought the CE from this game before a few weeks and highly enjoyed it. As the SE its a steal. Happy gaming everyone

ZuluDawn13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by ZuluDawn13 on Oct 30, 11 6:09 AM
Need patience for this game and a pair of super large glasses to see the hidden objects - that was the worst part of this entire game for me.

Story and humour were good and puzzles ok.

Glad I bought this with the Spooky coupon or I would have passed it up.

Would have to think twice to buy a follow up game mainly due to difficulty in the hidden object scenes.

Also, when I did have the right object to use, it said it was wrong when in fact, it was the correct item to use - just took several tries in just the right 'spot'.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Oct 30, 11 10:54 AM
This game came out a while ago as Colletor edition, but at the time I was not exactly in the mood to play it, I had just finished up another game about pirates and sea quest, so I am glad that now is out as S E, I have played the demo again, because I could not remembering well the story, and of course I finally got it.
So far, I think that it's impressivly good and detailed even in the minigame or puzzles, very interesting story , beside I have already played the first two Hidden expeditions series, but I believe that this one is the best of the three ones! We'll found out! Happy gaming!

lindiana
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by lindiana on Oct 30, 11 4:43 PM
Absolutely wonderful game. I loved it!

Cannot wait for the next Hidden Expedition. Hurry up already!

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Oct 30, 11 5:13 PM
I played the trial for the SE and found it to be really good. I did think the puzzles were a little hard, for me anyway, and the entire primise of the game was kind of complicated, as well as a bit tiring. When the trial was over, I was glad because it was almost work!

The graphics are very good and hidden objects not too touch. I am on the fence as to buy or not.......I would really like the game to be fun and not exhausting.

Maybe it's just me?

Will think a bit before the Halloween special is over.

[Post New]by carolemoore1961 on Oct 31, 11 3:49 AM
I've also bought the other games in the series and enjoyed all of them. This one is more diffficult. Might have been easier if I hadn't had my hubby sitting behind me looking over my shoulder trying to help me with the puzzles. I also did the trial version on the CE but funds are low so not buying too many of those these days but glad to see this come out now and be able to use the Spooky coupon to buy.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Oct 31, 11 4:00 AM
I just bought this game. I played the demo as CE and as SE. I found it very intriguing. It has some really different play.
I see GamerGirl didn't care for the box puzzle. I found it very unique. They did drag it on for a bit to long though. You start to think you are never going to get to the object item.

Pertigal
Shark
Shark
10,783 Posts

[Post New]by Pertigal on Oct 31, 11 4:30 AM
Be sure to look at the telegrams closely....not just the message but the whole thing. Extremely funny! My favorite part of the game! There is a nice variety of puzzles in this game so if you don't like one chances are good it won't be repeated (wasn't looking for that when I played so I can't be 100% sure). I enjoyed the game, played a lot of puzzles, skipped a few (some days I'm more patient than others). I think the reason it may have been hard for some to get into the story is because this is a continuation of another game so they had to go back and try to catch you up. Once you get over that potential confusion, it's a game and it's fun! I found it to be challenging on the harder mode. There's another funny bit with a blowfish (I think) that was quite tough. Hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

kristidumplin
Manatee
Manatee
3,656 Posts

[Post New]by kristidumplin on Nov 1, 11 6:08 PM
This game was lots of fun! To start off with, the graphics, artwork, and animation are great. Hidden object scenes are, for the most part, clear and crisp, although there are some scenes where I made liberal use of the generous hint button. Characters and dialogue are good throughout the game. The music is okay - I always turn it down so it doesn't interfere with the tv, but I do listen for a little at the beginning of the game. There is some humor scattered through the game as well, especially when I did something that was a bit out of the ordinary...lol.
Length was good - got several hours out of it, but I probably play more slowly than most, as I spend time just looking at everything, as well as doing what needs to be done to keep game play going. The game flows well, too.
I did need to go to the walkthrough a couple of times, as I got a bit lost and a bit confused about what to do and where to go next, but my questions were answered quite well with the walkthrough.

All in all - an engaging, enjoyable game, fun to play, lovely to look at, and decent length. Give it a try!

pattyjo
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by pattyjo on Nov 1, 11 8:53 PM
Well I thought it was going to be a good one but then so many of the **** things were all the same color and so hard to find. I am sorry I had hi hopes for this game.

Go to: