textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Your Reviews for Weird Park: Broken Tun Collector's Edition

[Post New]by textrekkie on Oct 30, 11 12:43 AM
A place for your reviews. To quote the moderators:

A lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game.

Edited on 11/02/2011 at 11:11:58 AM PST

GirlPink
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

Re:Your Reveiws for Weird Park: Broken Tun Collector's Edition

[Post New]by GirlPink on Oct 30, 11 1:06 AM
Just to start off - Played 15 mins of the demo so far only -
I am not sure who the developer is, missed it during the intro, but not one I think I have seen before.
This game will annoy some of our fish right from the start. The are no options for difficulty levels. So you get the tutorial, very basic and not too annoying, very brief, although you have to "find" an object from the middle of the list to move on, this will upset some of us.
The H0 scenes sparkle and when you move your cursor over an interesting spot it sparkles as well.
You can't access the bonus content at all, it is locked until the main game is completed. I know this is standard but we had a little taste of a bonus game recently and most of us seemed to enjoy that.
The whole strategy guide is available. It is 44 pages long. However, there are only screen shots in the guide. you click on the screen shot you want, they are in order, and then you get more instructions.
There is a click penalty and it lasts probably about 10 seconds. We all know we hate that.
The graphics, both in the game and the H0 scenes are clear and colourful.
I never hear the music so I can't comment. I know it's there but I seem to tune it out.
The creepy thing I think will be the clowns etc, they all look rather evil.
This all sounds rather negative, sorry. I think it looks like a lovely game, just nothing really spesh.
I will enjoy this game, probably as a SE.

Edited to say the dev's are alawar games (have so heard of them) - diesel puppet

Edited on 10/30/2011 at 1:08:53 AM PST

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Oct 30, 11 1:33 AM
Good Morning fishies

First I want to warn you, that all though I absolutely love this game & have been waiting for it forever, it will not appeal to many of you as a CE, but please give the demo a try. It will be one hour well spent.

Well this game by Alawar, is 626 megs big & it took 15 mins to D/L

You have the usual options of music & volume sliders, full screen & custom curser.

I personally Love the music, it is rather mischievous in its own way and suits the game.

The graphics are beautiful & crystal clear on my lap top but I have noticed, what are clear for me can grainy for others and vice versa (weird)

The hidden objects I can put into two categories.Junk pile and fragmented inventory. In both types the objects are very clearly placed but very well blended. Some are on the small side but look like what they should be and the picture clues are in colour so that helps too.

The game offers no difficulty mode, but comes with a skippable tutorial. I am sorry for those who hate sparkles there are sparkles and arrows. However on the plus side, I found that when trying to complete one task I'd uncover two more so the sparkles helped remind me where I wanted to pop back to rather that what next. It is a busy little game.

There are skippable mini games which I found to be of medium difficulty, of the brain thinker type.

There is a fast click penalty but it didn't last long.

The bonus chapter is unavailable in the strategy guide which consists of pictures to click and enlarge for diagrammatic pointers and a few written instructions.

Now as to length. When I beta'd it I got almost 1/2 way through the SG, however, on looking, the latter chapters appear considerably longer than the earlier chapters.

The creepiness is not spiders & ghosts etc but from "little men" dressed as jesters. If you have a clown phobia, you may not want to play LOL.

I absolutely love this game & it is my guilty trick or treat.

Because of the negatives mentioned I do urge everyone to try before they buy, and even if you don't buy the CE, I am sure many of you will snap up the SE.

Jojo

GirlPink
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by GirlPink on Oct 30, 11 2:00 AM
OK I have now finished the demo. Definitely an SE for me, just doesn't quite have that CE quality.
My pet hate in H0 games is when the things I have already cleared out of the scene are magically back there when I return. Especially the items that go into the inventory for special use. Anyway, anyway, anyway...
Last bit of complaint. I used the hint button a couple of times ( I like to see what it does), but it is either so fast or so unobtrusive that I missed it each time. Not very helpful, really.
I didn't find the mini games to be very taxing and the H0 scenes are pretty easy too. I still think it is good for an SE.
I would say that I am an average to fast player and I got to page 15 in the SG with 1 minute to go of the trial.

Edited on 10/30/2011 at 2:01:10 AM PST

Agent_99
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Agent_99 on Oct 30, 11 2:01 AM
Thank you JoJo for your review, helpful and informative

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Oct 30, 11 2:04 AM
Played usual 30 min. Found the game to be a nice mix of adventure, hidden object, fragments and puzzles with a quick skip button. This is a lovely smoothly playable game, but with the heavy handed hand holding just a tad too easy. There is no choice but one and if you dislike sparkles this game has lots of it. Unless the bonus is relevant to the game I will wait for the SE. For those who can not wait happy gaming.

brooklynblonde
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by brooklynblonde on Oct 30, 11 2:21 AM
This is a likable game, with a creepy clown story. If you don't like clowns make sure you demo first! I will wait for the SE-I'm interested in the story, the graphics are nice, and there's lots to do. I'm not buying the CE because I'm finding it all a little too easy; I wish there was an expert level where you could eliminate some sparkles. Perfectly pleasant, and some may really love it-worth a look.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Oct 30, 11 2:38 AM
Goodday fishies!

Jo-Jo gave us a wonderful review, so there's no need for me to go too much into details but... I certainly can share my enthusiasm with you cause this CE is: love at first sight!

To begin with I'm fond of amusementpark games. Then, this one is spooky as well, which adds to the fun. Also the graphics are top-class. And to finish off this great game: there are moving puppets, or at least one!

IT'S A BUY!!! And I'm saying this after playing the demo for only 5 minutes!

5 out of 5 to me. Just wonderful !!!

Enjoy!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 30, 11 2:41 AM
There are 13 "chapters" plus the bonus game, which you can`t see in the SG (strategy guide). The 13 chapters are all somewhat short, and I fear that this game may, even for me, be a bit on the short side.

The SG is well done. You click on a chapter, and it gets you to the right spot. You will only see pictures, and when you click on them, you are told what to do within each of them.

Why oh why are the words in the lists of the HOS (hidden object scenes) so small? It took me a while to get just about used to the tiny font.

However, the HOS are clear and crisp, and the objects are mostly easily found.

Also, is it only in my version, or do others also have problems with the monkey HINT button? More often than not, when I click on the HINT button in the HOS, the circle that is supposed to circle the object I am looking for, is not there. But instead there is just a tiny green sparkle that is there for a nanosecond. I clicked on the HINT button often, to see whether it was just the once, but no, it happens quite frequently that the big green circle doesn`t actually show.

The graphics are good, and so is the gameplay, although, I have to admit, I wasn`t thrown off my chair with excitement.

I will probably buy this game when the SE is out.

Edited on 10/30/2011 at 2:48:48 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Oct 30, 11 3:16 AM
Good reviews from EVERYONE, thanks all. Looks like a quirky little game.

mkinyon
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

Re:Your Reviews for Weird Park: Broken Tun Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mkinyon on Oct 30, 11 3:40 AM
This will be a fine game for those who are beginners to the hidden object interactive genre, but I suspect most experienced players are going to find this game to be too easy and too short. If the "chapters" are all about the same length, and if the strategy guide is to be believed, then I completed about half the game in the time of the one hour demo! I do not consider myself to be a particularly fast player. In particular, I don't skip puzzles and rarely use H.O. scene hints.

The hidden object scenes are very easy, though as has already been noted, the font in the object lists is quite small. Even though it wasn't necessary, I tried the hint button a few times just to see what it would do. In fact, the only reason I tried it more than once is that it refused to work the first few times. When it finally did work, the hint sparkle was hard to see.

I opened the SG. It is just OK. If you click on a chapter title, it will take you to a page of pictures without text, the idea being that you aren't spoiled too much as many SGs do. That's not a bad idea, although to be frank, it seems like a bit of a kludge in an era of smart guides that know exactly where you are in the game. Also, the SG doesn't remember where you were.

Because of the length issue, this is a no buy for me, even as a DD, but to those who apparently were chomping at the bit waiting for it, I wish you happy gaming.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Oct 30, 11 4:31 AM
I'm with CasualGran and JoJo on this; loved this game pretty much from the start and was drawn in almost immediately by the whole idea of exploring this abandoned amusement park; far more interesting than some old, dusty, derelict house or asylum!

Loved the graphics, hidden object scenes were fairly plentiful but unlike some in recent games, not overstuffed with so much junk you can't find anything, some FROG searches too which personally I love and there seems to be so many places to explore that I think it will be quite a long game.

Yes there were sparkles but oddly enough I didn't find them irritating at all! The monkey hint button was extremely useful, since it guides you to exactly where you need to go if you find yourself lost (which could be quite often!). I didn't use the SG at all during the demo. The puzzles so far were on the easy side but fun to do; I did enjoy the shooting gallery!

A definite buy for me, however it will have to wait a while as RE2 is out tomorrow and I know I won't be able to resist getting it from the developer before it arrives here!! But I look forward to playing this game again when I can afford it

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Oct 30, 11 4:49 AM
This is an o.k. game. Not worth the CE to me. When it comes to CE prices you should always have widescreen/easy & difficult modes of play/voiceovers/options to turn sprarkles on/off. This has voiceovers in cut scene, but no widescreen and no option for different modes of play. The graphics are good but the overall look of the game is very dark. The story is o.k.,but we have seen it before. I will wait for the SE version. I do think it's worth a try and and a buy when offered as SE.

I rate this game: "PIGLET"
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Oct 30, 11 5:12 AM
The game looks good. But it did't grab me. HOS are clear, but the hintbutton is terrible. I skipped a couple of puzzles.

I don't think this game is worth a CE. Maybe I buy it as a SE. But I am not sure.

Thanks for the fishies how did a great job for the reviews!

dawn_j72
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by dawn_j72 on Oct 30, 11 5:30 AM
Are we talking clowns through the whole game? I am petrified of clowns!

[Post New]by purplehatlady on Oct 30, 11 5:32 AM
CasualGran wrote:Goodday fishies!

Jo-Jo gave us a wonderful review, so there's no need for me to go too much into details but... I certainly can share my enthusiasm with you cause this CE is: love at first sight!

To begin with I'm fond of amusementpark games. Then, this one is spooky as well, which adds to the fun. Also the graphics are top-class. And to finish off this great game: there are moving puppets, or at least one!

IT'S A BUY!!! And I'm saying this after playing the demo for only 5 minutes!

5 out of 5 to me. Just wonderful !!!

Enjoy!

Oh joyful Sunday a game highly recommended by jo-jo(great review) and casualgran
thats all I need its a buy for me - many thanks purplehatlady

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Oct 30, 11 5:37 AM
dawn_j72 wrote:Are we talking clowns through the whole game? I am petrified of clowns!

Hi Dawn.

No the clowns are not through out the whole game but do pop up at regular intervals.

Although a fear of clowns is a "funny phobia", my 14 year old also has it. That is why I mentioned the warning.

Do you share your PC with anyone ? May be you could ask some one you know to demo it (even on their pc so you will still have the demo if it passes) and judge your fear factor.

If it doesn't work out, I am sorry, it will be back to the spiders for you my gal

Jojo

dawn_j72
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by dawn_j72 on Oct 30, 11 5:58 AM
Thanks for the tip JoJo! Hopefully I can play this game. Don't like spiders either, or frogs so I am kind of limited!

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Oct 30, 11 6:11 AM
I'm sorry. I may be in the minority on this one but I can't see why it's a CE.

It's extremely easy. At first I thought it was going to be great. They mix up the hidden object scenes with fragmented. Still far to easy. Never had to use the hint button.

Even the mini games were way to simple.

When you need and item to work with guess what? It's in the hidden object scene right next to you!! Who would have guessed?

I'm not saying this isn't a fun game to play. I may get it as a SE but I just don't think it's CE worthy. It feels a lot like Dreamland to me.

I also think it will be rather short. You can look ahead in the SG and there were 48 pages in the guide plus bonus play. I made about page 20 before time ran out and I play at a very relaxed pace.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Oct 30, 11 6:15 AM
Already left my opinion. Just wanted say that I had the same problem as Valdy. I tried the hint a couple times just to see how fast it refills and I would get a very quick little flash in the general area of what I needed.

Go to: