A place for your game reviews.

Edited on 10/31/2011 at 9:43:50 AM PST

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fairway Solitaire

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Oct 31, 11 1:04 AM
I bought the CE of this game I couldn't be happier with it. I had never heard of Fairway before though so I didn't have the same reaction many did with this version not being as great or whatever. I thought it was fine and as you progress there is a lot more dialogue and different accents so I was and still am kept quite busy and entertained.

The SE game has 6 pages of 9 courses each that contain 3, 6 or 9 holes per course. There are 3 stars to be collected for each course. 1 star is for getting a par or under and that advances you to the next course, 2 stars is for getting under par by 5-8 points (I might be wrong as I could never figure out what this really was for as I got it always at the same time as the 3rd) and the 3rd star is for getting a specific number under par like -15 on the course which on some are nearly impossible to do. There are also 31 trophys for the game you are trying to get like if you hit the gopher on the head 50 times you get one etc and different bonus ups you can buy in the store that help you do better with your game. Using the helper clubs, comes in really handy but watch out, you can only use the clubs once every 6 holes so use them wisely. I got in trouble plenty of times.

The only difference I can see with the CE vs SE is in the CE pages 7-16 are bonus play. Page 7 is 9 courses you can purchase with your golf bucks and pages 8-16 are the original fairway game but instead of doing the tasks that game asks of you, you are just finding stars and each course is 9 holes long and makes it even harder to get all 3 stars. There are a total of 426 stars to get for the game and I have been playing this since it came out and only have about 125/426. So if you dont have the original one then the CE would be totally worth the value and you'd be playing forever and in my opinion, the SE is definitely worth the money as well. This game is really well done and gets better as you go on.

bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fairway

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Oct 31, 11 1:35 AM
Hi textrekkie!

Thanks for opening the thread, I've just gone ahead and stickied it!

Hey Fishies,

We’d love to hear what you think of Fairway; your reviews are very important to us and to other Fishies. You’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game in here! You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you ended your game play, so that other players can get more out of this discussion!

Keep in mind a lot of people visiting this thread will have never played the game before so if you are posting spoilers please remember to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Feel free to go ahead and create a new discussion in the game forum if you’d like to discuss other topics than your general feedback on the game. If you are experiencing technical issues, remember to check out the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgKenai

Edited on 11/01/2011 at 1:09:56 AM PST

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Oct 31, 11 4:36 AM
Fairway is the sequel to Fairway Solitaire & it certainly suffers by comparison.

This is a basic one up one down solitaire; there are a lot of choices in options for card backs & cursors. There are only 3, 6 or 9 holes per course & some of the holes are fun to play however in the original each course was either 9 or 18 holes & therefore this will be a shorter game.

Megwoman has given a good review of the gameplay & I have little to add except that I would rather replay the original which had better dialogue & better gameplay.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,306 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 31, 11 6:13 AM
Well, I have now played Fairway for a couple of hours, and must say that I much prefer this one to the original "Fairway Solitaire" game.

I prefer the graphics.

I like the way the tutorial explains about "Par" and such, so that those of us who are not familiar with Golf terms, know what kind of score we are supposed to get.

You can choose to have different card faces and background colours.

This game is far more challenging for me than the first one was.

I like the "Wildcard" golf club among those with numbers on it, which can be used to substitute for any other card.

I like the shop where I can buy things when I have the money, rather than having to wait for an item to be unlocked, as you do in the first game.

The only thing I am not happy with, is the way the cards twirl around when you click on them to be discarded, and twirl around in front of your face a little too excessively. It starts hurting my eyes after a while.

bookwriter
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by bookwriter on Oct 31, 11 6:25 AM
I own Fairway Solitaire, which is one of my favorite card games. But I have to say this game is much more informative and fun. The graphics are really cute. The game play is fun, and they have allowed you more input into how you can play the game by allowing you to purchase clubs, etc.

After only playing a very few minutes, I quickly purchased it.
A lot of fun, a good amount of challenge, and a great buy.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Oct 31, 11 7:44 AM
when will the sequel to fairare solitaire come out???? we have been waiting a LONG,LONG LONG TIME.... can someone help or know anything????-------------------doug & lisa arceneaux

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,306 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 31, 11 8:26 AM
lisablue4369 wrote:when will the sequel to fairare solitaire come out???? we have been waiting a LONG,LONG LONG TIME.... can someone help or know anything????-------------------[removed by moderator]

Ummm... you might want to ask this question in the "Faerie Solitaire" forum.

Here is the link to that forum:

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/forums/show/1297.page

Edited on 11/17/2011 at 4:47:08 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,306 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Oct 31, 11 8:50 AM
SeaBamboo wrote:This is a basic one up one down solitaire; there are a lot of choices in options for card backs & cursors. There are only 3, 6 or 9 holes per course & some of the holes are fun to play however in the original each course was either 9 or 18 holes & therefore this will be a shorter game.

I am not so sure this will be a shorter game for me. Because some courses only have 3 hole, it makes it so much harder for me to get under par or even. When I have 9 or even 18 holes, I have enough chances to get the score I need.

Also, I always find the 18-hole ones a bit boring. You have to wade through all those holes, until you get back out again, and can have a look at the shop and until you can do the next course. I much prefer this game.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,839 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Oct 31, 11 2:14 PM
I also have Fairway Solitaire and let's just say if I was playing with real clubs I probably would have worn them down to nubs. lol. But I enjoy this game just as much on its own merits. Each one is different though the gameplay is the same there are different goals to reach and different ways to reach them. I also the fact it saved my scores, ect. from the the CE demo as I had replayed the holes on that game until I had 3 stars on all the available holes in that game. I didn't expect that to be the case. I know HE: The Uncharted Islands made me start over!grrrrrr! I digress. Love this game and it is a definite buy for me and at a "Spooky" sale price too! Thanks and Devs for the great game and the Halloween Sale!
Happy Gaming All Happy Halloween
BK

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Nov 2, 11 4:20 PM
I read critical reviews for the CE in that forum, but, having tried the standard version, I can say that it's par with the older game.

It still sucks you in with your basic "Golf A-K" solitaire rules, which have been released in numerous forms, including the predecessor, "Fairway Solitaire". It follows the same basic game play, however, instead of unlocking new courses by stringing together a run of cards etc. you just have to finish a set of 3, 6 or 9 courses below par. Which can be harder than it sounds, especially if you blow a hole.

The running commentary is also on par with the old game; some comments have been recycled. Love the rants given by the colour guy - hope there will be more.

Bottom Line: The game manages the "I wanna play just one more course" state of mind easily. So, you have two choices: Do you own Fairway Solitaire? Buy this standard version. If now, and are you into card games? Get the CE!

[Post New]by madgran on Nov 4, 11 7:40 AM
sorry but not as good as the original bf game. This one too easy - I remember really struggling to finish all the courses on the original one - and still struggling when I went back to have another go. Often 18 holes, sometimes needing 7 or more under par, or needing 18 plus streaks.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Nov 5, 11 3:20 PM
I also thought this game was easier than the original, but I am now permanently stuck on the "Cold Bear" course. At least I was able to pass the original's courses eventually. No elasticicity here, it seems.

threeds
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by threeds on Nov 7, 11 6:42 PM
I love this.. especially the cartoons of what the gopher is doing underground. I haven't quite figured out why I can't buy more clubs when I have money but just play again when I need to get more clubs.

I have just gotten to where I can buy more courses - will save that for another day

I am still stuck on the Madness level of the original Fairway Solitaire.. it was a relief not to hit something like that here

[Post New]by Shiroangel on Nov 11, 11 5:35 PM
I just finished the trial, and I have to say that I absolutely am hooked! I liked "Fairway Solitaire", as frustrating as it got sometimes. But I really like this one! There is a lot more to it. The graphics are better, it doesn't slow down, there are actual trophies to go after.

As soon as I am able to I am absolutely buying this one. Too bad I have to wait a whole month

Excellent job!! I say absolutely buy this game!!! It's challenging but to me that just gives me all the more reason to play it.

gtagta
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by gtagta on Dec 26, 11 1:15 AM
luv his voice!

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Mar 18, 12 1:46 PM
More golf-like, so people who enjoy the weirdness of the original might not have as much fun - while people who like golf might have more.

I think I am glad I don't understand Gaelic.

Edited on 03/18/2012 at 1:46:21 PM PST

nelliebj
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

[Post New]by nelliebj on Jul 7, 12 11:11 AM
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that feels the frustration of playing a level over and over. However, each retry is interesting too. Took me about 20 to get off one of the 9 hole levels. LOL. But it's fun and I can play a little each day and have fun with it. I bought the CE version because you can buy more courses and it was on the July 4th 1/2 price sale. That helps, BFG!

Cornishwizard
Squid
Squid
66 Posts

[Post New]by Cornishwizard on Jul 12, 12 3:33 PM
You all know by now how to play this great game. It really amuses me when, because of the luck or should I say, the bad luck of the deal of cards, you don't win and perhaps end up with a +Par 14 or 12 and the Goffer pops up killing himself laughing. It always makes me laugh and of course takes away the frustration of losing. Fabulous game. Not sure how it could be bettered, but if it can!!! Wow!!

Great Game .. But a Couple of Suggestions for Improvement

[Post New]by ClassyRider on Jan 22, 13 12:46 PM
I love this game and have already given it 5 stars in the game rating area.

I do however have a couple of suggestions which I thought might be better suited for this forum:

- I have the SE game, and after playing the 7th/bonus round, even with getting 3 stars on each hole, the game does not award the 5,000 credit bonus like it does on the other 6 rounds. The little plaque flips over telling the player that they have won the 5,000, but it is not actually awarded.

- It would be great if there was some indication of what 'under par' score was required to make the 3-star cut rather than having to complete the entire round only to find out that you missed it by one stroke.

Thanks! Other than those two little nagging details, it's a very addictive game and I love the voice overs!

Go to: