bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Nov 4, 11 1:05 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial? Feel free to share your thoughts and opinions about the game in this thread. We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond! To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game!

A lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Premature Burial

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Nov 4, 11 7:45 AM
GREAT GAME... I played the CE; happy to see the SE came out so quickly so more fishies can enjoy it.

FlatSlewFoot
Narwhal
Narwhal
34,559 Posts

[Post New]by FlatSlewFoot on Nov 4, 11 7:51 AM
Looking forward to the Cask of Amontillado, Fortunatas? Welcome to the pond

....oops, that was Fortunato...I'm a little rusty I'm afraid

Edited on 11/04/2011 at 7:54:05 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 4, 11 8:42 AM
Review

This is an excellent game. You have to find 33 roses to make a bouquet for... a loved one, of course.

There is an option for custom or system cursor. I prefer to use the custom cursor, because it changes to all the different things, depending on where you are pointing at - something that I often get with a system cursor as well, but not in this game.

Just wanted to say that a lot of peeps in the past have complaint about a lagging cursor and/or slow change of scenes. Neither of these is happening with my game. In fact, it never happened with any of ERS' games on my computer.

As always, the game does not fill out my laptop's widescreen monitor - nothing new about that with ERS games.

The graphics are really nice, as always, and so is the gameplay and the mini games.
In fact, apart from the "Haunted Halls" game(s), this is one of the better ones of ERS games that has a more interesting story.

Voice-over is a must with ERS games, and the characters are very well done as well.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes), although somewhat cluttered, are mostly crisp and clear, and objects are easily identified.

All in all, one of ERS' better games.

I don't know how long this game is - haven't finished yet - but then again, I like to take my time and not rush through a game. So game time depends on each individual.

ETA: Forgot to mention: The SKIP button takes a long time to fill. So if you know you don't want to or can't do a puzzle, just pop into the kitchen and make yourself a cup of tea. By that time the SKIP button should be filled.

Same goes for the HINT button. It takes a minute to fill, which can be a pain in the neck if you have more than 1 items you can't find.

Edited on 11/04/2011 at 10:51:44 AM PST

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Nov 4, 11 8:44 AM
I found this an entertaining and interesting game. You need sharp eyes and a good bit of searching to move forward, so it has what I consider to be a nice level of challenge. The puzzles are creative and interesting. I really enjoyed the variety and novelty of the mini-games and I didn’t find it necessary to skip a single one.

I found the length of this game to be quite satisfying. I played on and off for many days, so I don’t have an exact time frame for you, but I am certain it exceeded seven hours (again, with no skipping or strategy guide).

The graphics are quite good, but not awe inspiring. The story line is entertaining and the voice-over acting is good, although it doesn’t sync with character mouth movement very well.

Although the music did get monotonous (only a few pieces play throughout the game), there is nonetheless one piece (by Filipp Logvineko) with piano and cello, that is quite lovely. I actually stopped moving the character, just to hear it play through.

The hidden object scenes were enjoyable, and I especially liked the interactive bits, but the mislabeling of some items (for example a hair brush called a “comb” and a wine goblet called a “bowl”) sometimes made item locating almost a random hunt. Happily, this didn’t happen too often, but it was here that I used the hint system.

Overall, I think this is a very enjoyable game. If you want the built-in strategy guide, it’s available in the Collectors Edition of this game.

Review edited after completion of the game.

Edited on 01/11/2012 at 1:16:49 PM PST

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Nov 4, 11 8:44 AM
Downloading this now to check it runs, but as long as it does I will be getting this with my PCC.

I really enjoyed the CE demo and found the time flew by and the story really gripped me. The mini games/puzzles are good as well.

Just, you know, needs some NEW music

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Nov 4, 11 8:50 AM
I've been waiting for this one to come out in SE form because I tried the CE and liked it a lot. I have the other Dark Tales Poe games, both in their SE versions and they are two of my favorite games. Those game punch coupons have been burning a hole in my pocket.

kittcar
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by kittcar on Nov 4, 11 9:19 AM
I have a question....If I buy the SE version of this game and find out I really like it can I upgrade to the CE game by using 1 more game credit or would you have to pay the full amount for the CE version as well.
...I'm trying to figure out whether or not to buy the SE versus the CE, what do people recommend. Thanks

abbyD
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by abbyD on Nov 4, 11 9:49 AM
kittcar wrote:I have a question....If I buy the SE version of this game and find out I really like it can I upgrade to the CE game by using 1 more game credit or would you have to pay the full amount for the CE version as well.
...I'm trying to figure out whether or not to buy the SE versus the CE, what do people recommend. Thanks

Yes you can upgrade for just one more credit. You may have to go through customer support, I don't remember.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 4, 11 10:54 AM
abbyD wrote:
kittcar wrote:I have a question....If I buy the SE version of this game and find out I really like it can I upgrade to the CE game by using 1 more game credit or would you have to pay the full amount for the CE version as well.

Yes you can upgrade for just one more credit. You may have to go through customer support, I don't remember.

Yes, you have to go through customer support. First you install the CE version of the game, then you contact CS and tell them about your purchase of the SE, and the purchase of the CE (give them the order numbers), and they will either refund your money for the SE or they will give you a game voucher, with which you can get another game.

OLDBAY
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by OLDBAY on Nov 4, 11 12:43 PM
I like this game as well ...& I like the price even better ...

katkarman
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by katkarman on Nov 4, 11 1:21 PM
I think I want to buy this game. I think I have similar games like this one. I hope I am not confusing this with other games like Echoes of the Past! I like those as well!

[Post New]by azz1111 on Nov 4, 11 1:43 PM
I've bought all the Dark Tales Edgar Allan Poe games and the music is always the same....... don't fix what isn't broken. The music is fantastic!!! I love it!!!

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Nov 4, 11 2:44 PM
Love this game, as I love any of the ERS games I have played. Can anyone recommend any other games by ERS? Thanks.

[Post New]by baglady159 on Nov 4, 11 5:30 PM
angelofmusic62 wrote:Love this game, as I love any of the ERS games I have played. Can anyone recommend any other games by ERS? Thanks.

If you go to ersgamestudios.com you can see a list of all the games they've produced plus the ones that will be coming out soon.

I have most of their games except for some of the earlier ones before things got so graphic and interactive. Love them all!!

Edited on 11/04/2011 at 5:32:18 PM PST

Qismet
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by Qismet on Nov 4, 11 6:02 PM
I loved this game. The story line was interesting. Graphics were great as always from this provider. The H. O. scenes were challenging and entertaining. The mini games were fun. Some were hard enough that I skipped them, but I could work many of them. Nice balance there. I went through about half of the game based on the number of chapters in the walk-through and was a bit concerned that the game might be short. Never fear, the second half of the game kept me busy for quite a while. I feel like I definitely got great bang for the buck with regard to game length and game entertainment.

The only complaints I have are minor. I do wish that ERS would address the wide screen issues that others have also complained about. I also prefer when the hint button is enabled throughout the game so that if you really get stumped you can get a hint on where to go next without having to leave the game and refer to the walk-through.

Way to go! Great Job!

[Post New]by princessbutter1 on Nov 4, 11 6:09 PM
I tryed and liked it I liked getting all the roses this a buy for me. oops can't spell hehe sorry

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Nov 4, 11 7:03 PM
I think out of the 3 games, this is my favorite. The Black Cat was a little difficult to play and the Murders in the Rue Morgue seemed somewhat easy. This one has more of a story to it and the graphics and spooks are great!
I give it a 5

capipe
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

GREAT GAME!

[Post New]by capipe on Nov 4, 11 8:20 PM
bought se version..worth every penny. not too many hogs-which i hate and puzzles are fun. much better than the last poe game.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Nov 5, 11 2:02 AM
I was waiting for the Se version of this game to come out. I remember playing the CE version and loving it. I like this developer's games usually anyway. Most of the graphics and the music are really good and the music also. The gameplay also is pretty straightforward even without the help of a strategy guide. The only issue that brings it down one notch is the **** Scenes . I don't know if it is me or what, but they are a little "junkpileish" and it's hard to make out objects. Might be just me! lol I would rate this game a 9 out of 10.

Go to: