peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Comments for Death Under Tuscan Skies: A Dana Knightstone Novel

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 6, 11 12:27 AM
This is as good as the first one, which was Death at Fairing Point.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Re:Comments for Death Under Tuscan Skies: A Dana Knightstone Novel

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 6, 11 12:36 AM
Sorry. Major lag in posting and something happened to my last post. LOL!
Choice of language again, English or English.
Full screen, cursor, music volume, (quite pleasant) sound volume, and choice of casual or advanced play.
There are various achievements to complete.
Very clear graphics, reasonably easy game play (I am on advanced) but some of the puzzles have to be thought about.
This will be a game worth thinking about for the CE price. Have fun everyone

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Nov 6, 11 12:49 AM
Played for 30 minutes on advanced mode. Love that there is achievements. There are 6 chapters plus the epilogue. I think I was most of the way through the first chapter in the first 30 minutes. The whole strategy guide is available during demo. Looks like the bonus chapter will be around an hour.

This is an adventure game I believe. No HOG scenes that I can tell. Mini games are fairly easy and there are quite a few of them. No voice overs except at the very beginning which is a shame I think. The music to me was like elevator music so I turned it down after a few minutes. I think it will be a decent length over all just not sure about the bonus section..

Filled up my screen too which I like . but then again most games do.

I really do like achievements in games though....

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Nov 6, 11 1:00 AM
govols2 wrote:Played for 30 minutes on advanced mode. Love that there is achievements. There are 6 chapters plus the epilogue. I think I was most of the way through the first chapter in the first 30 minutes. The whole strategy guide is available during demo. Looks like the bonus chapter will be around an hour.

This is an adventure game I believe. No HOG scenes that I can tell. Mini games are fairly easy and there are quite a few of them. No voice overs except at the very beginning which is a shame I think. The music to me was like elevator music so I turned it down after a few minutes. I think it will be a decent length over all just not sure about the bonus section..

Filled up my screen too which I like . but then again most games do.

I really do like achievements in games though....

if its like the first one it will probably have a few hidden object scenes and it does show some in the screen shots on the game page but its not an overload like some other games I can think of. Cheers!

alpha_Tau
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by alpha_Tau on Nov 6, 11 1:00 AM
Hi fishies,

It is always interesting to read the comments and technical issues sections of the forums, since you can often glean useful info. The issues given in the technical fault posts is worrying, but there is much variation, even for fishies using the same version of Windows. I have seen no Mac-related concerns yet.

Oddly, I have encountered no comments or technical posts on widescreen usage. For practical reasons, I use dual, high-resolution, widescreen displays (my PC is a work tool as well as a play tool). As a result, if a game does not include widescreen correction and has a low-resolution window mode, I cannot play it (changing resolution down to "magnify" a windowed game causes problems with my desktop that are not worth the struggle).

This applies to this game, so, although I will try it (windowed), it is unlikely to be a purchase for me.

This is a pity, and, since many people use widescreen displays, nowadays (eg for multimedia purposes), I would expect most game developers to include widescreen correction as standard (whether done automatically or by optional settings), and many do.

Since this is not a technical fault (rather, I consider it to be a design flaw), I have placed this as a comment in this discussion.

Best regards,
aT

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Nov 6, 11 1:03 AM
This is a buy for me. I like the story, the character, the graphics are clear and I like the music which is theme appropriate IMO. I have the previous DK game and I am in no way disappointed in this one. The "mechanics" have already been listed and very well. Thanks to all posted. I'll just add that everything is available in the demo. Wall paper, which I like, sound tracks, cut scene, etc. I know lots of fishies have no use for the "bells and whistles" but it is great when they are available during the whole game for those of us who do. I have had no tech problems with the d/l or any of the gameplay. The custom cursor is behaving beautifully. I heartily recommend giving this one a trial.
Happy Gaming All

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 6, 11 1:07 AM
Govols similar to the first one, there are H0 scenes but not an abundance of them. I am surprised that if you are near the end of the first chapter, you have not come across at least one h0 scene. There is an achievement for getting through chapter 1 in under 1 hour..............

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Nov 6, 11 1:14 AM
govols2 wrote:
This is an adventure game I believe. No HOG scenes that I can tell.

...And this is the main reason I won't buy it...

May be it should be removed to "Adventure" section?

I don't like to be "cheated" - "Hidden Object Puzzle Adventure game" BF says...Really?

If you make "mixed salad" from 3 ingredients - at least 30% of my favorite ingredient has to be included!!!

No HOGs, no buy...

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 6, 11 1:17 AM
Rebeca Lily, I respect your opinion but just to say, you find H0's in places other than lists. Give it a go if you can, you may like it

dvdiva
Clownfish
Clownfish
911 Posts

[Post New]by dvdiva on Nov 6, 11 1:19 AM
Yes, it's a mixture of adventure and hidden object.

You can see in the sample screenshots that there are several H0 scenes in the game.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Nov 6, 11 1:20 AM
A great game---now where is Bluebeard's Castle?

tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by tillybaby on Nov 6, 11 1:25 AM
Well I have played for the full demo time now and must admit for the first fifteen minutes or so I thought no way am I buying this, then the game just got better and better, needless to say I have bought it,

As you get further into the game there are hogs for the people who like them but there's also a bit of thinking to do for adventure enthusiasts but certainly not hard quests - not yet anyway.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Nov 6, 11 1:29 AM
cbtx wrote:A great game---now where is Bluebeard's Castle?

Not in this game. LOL!
You can only play one game at a time, so enjoy this. I sure Bluebeard will appear soon

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Comments for Death Under Tuscan Skies: A Dana Knightstone Novel

[Post New]by jkuci on Nov 6, 11 1:45 AM

peglegann wrote:This is as good as the first one, which was Death at Fairing Point.

Not for me. The first one was better. The graphics in this one look kind of like they are unfinished, for one thing... That jarred me out of the story and game.

I was already to buy before I tried the demo, bought an extra credit, even. But I feel quite ready to wait for the SE of this game after playing the demo.

I will look forward to seeing Paolo again, however.....

Edited on 11/06/2011 at 1:46:17 AM PST

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Nov 6, 11 1:46 AM
Well, I have now played the full hour demo and thoroughly enjoyed myself. I will be buying this (I already have the first game and loved that too).

However, I do have a niggle. WHY would a university library in the 21st century (I am assuming that is when this game is set) still be using a card catalogue and a very old computer, when they have to use key cards for security?

I have worked in a university library, and these days they have to be up-to-date with all the new-fangled techy things, lol. I don't believe the age of the university should have any bearing on it.

Okay, I've had my little rant, I will get off my soapbox now, lol.

Other than that, it is very enjoyable.

Jen

juleslorraine
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by juleslorraine on Nov 6, 11 1:47 AM
Thanks for all the nice reviews which lead me to demo. It's not a bad little game but I fear it's not really CE worthy so I'm gonna pass on this one and wait til the SE comes out. One of the nice aspects is that the game is not inundated with **** scenes like some games are! Not to mention, I found absolutely no glitches in the games...IE it runs smoothly. I'm sure it will appeal to some.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Nov 6, 11 2:24 AM
alpha_Tau has come up with the PERFECT phrase for the lack of widescreen correction in so many of the games (although not this one)----it is a DESIGN FLAW----perfect way to put it----that's exactly what it is, and as 2012 approaches no game and certainly not a CE should be without this minimal programming extra. And the only way I see to address the issue is to not buy the games from the devs that don't appear to care enough about their games to include this.
Thanks, a_T.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 6, 11 2:24 AM
The graphics are really well done. I also like the storyline, gameplay, and puzzles.
In the one hour I played the demo, I have not come across any HOS (hidden object scenes).

As I mentioned in the last game by Boomzap, I would prefer to have a few less puzzles, and a few more HOS in their games.

I liked the fact that we were able to see the whole of the SG (strategy guide), including the "finale", which tells me that without the bonus game this game may not be quite finished?

However, having been disappointed with bonus games so many times, I no longer buy CEs but rather wait for the SE, and will buy the SE of this game when it's out.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Nov 6, 11 2:32 AM
It's an interesting story with beautiful graphics. It would almost be an automatic buy for me as it is well designed.

I played for 15 min and had 2 or 3 minis with no instructions as to what I needed to do. I am interested in the game as a whole. I want to do minis and hidden object searches but I do not want to spend most of my time struggling through a mini because first I have to figure out what needs to be done and then I have to solve it. I did not care for the book search. I am not as good at remembering things as I used to be and had to go back and forth to match the numbers. Maybe I should have written them down. I have worked in a few libraries in my life so this is not new to me but I just don't have the sharp mind I used to have. I did enjoy the card catalog color match game even though this catalog coding made no sense to me.

The SG is nicely integrated and I love the way it is included. Other Devs might take note please. This may be the best integration of a SG into a game so far.

I will play some more but sadly this seems to be a no buy for me. I just found the minis taking too much time when I really want to get on with the game.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Nov 6, 11 2:53 AM
Definite buy for me - beautiful game. I've stopped buying CEs too, but really feel this is worth it. Leisurely game - lovely to look at, pretty music. I reckon I'll be spending the day in Tuscany!

Go to: