bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Reviews for Death Under Tuscan Skies: A Dana Knightstone Novel Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Nov 6, 11 1:14 AM
Hi Fishies!

We’d love to hear what you think of Death Under Tuscan Skies: A Dana Knightstone Novel ; your reviews are very important to us and to other Fishies. You’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game in here! You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you ended your game play, so that other players can get more out of this discussion!

Keep in mind a lot of people visiting this thread will have never played the game before so if you are posting spoilers please remember to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

Feel free to go ahead and create a new discussion in the game forum if you’d like to discuss other topics than your general feedback on the game. If you are experiencing technical issues, remember to check out the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgKenai

Edited on 11/06/2011 at 1:21:17 AM PST

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

Re:Reviews for Death Under Tuscan Skies: A Dana Knightstone Novel Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mary102696 on Nov 6, 11 1:34 AM
I agree with the other reviews. I love this game. My hour ended with the first hidden object scene. There was one find the 20 items before that plus a whole lot of mini games which were not too difficult to do. There's a bunch of achievements to earn in this game. The graphics are beautiful and the music is atmospheric. The strategy guide said there were 6 chapters plus an epilogue (I believe). Definite 5 stars.

Edited on 11/06/2011 at 1:35:53 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Reviews for Death Under Tuscan Skies: A Dana Knightstone Novel Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cbtx on Nov 6, 11 1:48 AM
Based on the full hour of the demo:

Another happy surprise from Boomzap and BFG!
This is an extremely high quality game that features beautiful graphics, an interesting and puzzling story, and very smooth control. There are plenty of puzzles and the hidden object scenes are somewhat de-emphasized, but there are several of them as you move along in the game. The puzzles are interesting but not overly challenging and the SG (which keeps its place accurately) is there if you need it. The bonus chapter appears to be at least another hour's play and based on my slow play I would guesstimate the whole game to be around 6 hours or so. A lot of attention is paid to the details in this game which always suggests high quality to me. And the game opens up in widescreen which is the way ALL the CEs should play. (I've resolved not to buy any more CEs that don't have this feature given the tiny amount of programming required to accomplish that).
So, overall, an excellent and different kind of game that's a definite buy for me!

Edited on 11/06/2011 at 1:49:07 AM PST

trish999
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by trish999 on Nov 6, 11 1:49 AM
This is a great game. It has a little bit of everything in it. Lots of mini games that have clear instructions on what to do. They are different but somewhat easy.

Hidden object scenes are clear with no tiny objects to find. Graphics are wonderful. Some of the best I have ever seen. And I have been playing H O games for a long time.

It took me about 1 1/2 hours to complete the first chapter on casual mode. So I am guessing it will be 5-6 hours of gameplay. It really depends on how good you are at mini-puzzles because they can stump you every once in a while. So far I haven't had to skip any.

There are many achievements for completing different things so that is always a plus.

Full screen play makes it extra nice. Bought this game and look forward to playing the rest of it.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Nov 6, 11 1:56 AM
I really love this game. High quality graphics/widescreen/2-modes of play. The story is very intriguing and some of the crispest graphics you'll see. I found myself not wanting to quit. Never had a moment of bordom. I can't wait to see what happens. I'm still a little un-decided on CE vs SE only because the extra content looked a little short. But for the qraphics and qaulity and story, this is a must have game. Enjoy!

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE"
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 6, 11 2:19 AM
I agree, this is a very good quality game, thanks Boomzap .

Before I started I checked the Strategy Guide to see if I could get some idea on the length and was delighted to see that it was completely unlocked and that there were 6 chapters to play along with an epilogue.

There are two modes of play: Casual and Advanced and I chose the latter which stated that no guidance will be given. I am not a fast player especially when it comes to the puzzles and I didn't manage to complete chapter one in the hour that I played so for me this will be a decent length game .

The graphics are beautifully clear and are a pleasure to look at . The puzzles are enjoyable although some people might find them a bit too easy. I honestly don't think the music is the type that you would want to have on normal volume but playing very quietly in the background it was fine. The story started off quite well and I am wondering if it will have sub plot too now that I have seen the Professor. What an attractive man he is , the artist can draw my heroes any time .

All in all this was a game that made me want to play more and so I have purchased it but before I can play more I have a who is looking at me as ferociously as the one in the game so I think I had better attend to his needs first .

Cherb

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Nov 6, 11 3:17 AM
This a great game. The graphics and music are beautifully done. The gameplay is fairly easy to follow. If not, a hint can be helpful. Like someone else had noted, there is a little bit of everything thrown in here to keep it interesting and the demo hour just flew by. Too bad it's a CE, hopefully it will come out as an SE. I would rate it a 9 out of 10.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 6, 11 3:32 AM
I'll be the only one who got bored with the game....
Graphics are good, clear, but so cold and sometimes colors are too bright to be true (flowers outside especially). I felt like going through a technical book.
Mini game after mini game, very tiring.
You've got to be extremely careful not to miss any item, not too easy in advanced mode, this could be entertaining but I found it boring. You want the story to go on a bit and it's so static.
Mini games are easy, at the end of the demo I had only reached the secret room, played heaps of mini games, played one FROG and got fed up with the whole thing. The story didn't grab me at all. Cold and impersonal.
No buy.

bootsky
Stingray
Stingray
5,333 Posts

[Post New]by bootsky on Nov 6, 11 3:36 AM
I have been waiting anxiously for this game...played 15 minutes & bought it excellent graphics, great story again, love these games way to go BoomZap!!!
I can't wait to continue!

boots

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Nov 6, 11 3:39 AM
Based on full hour of demo only:
Likes: Gorgeous graphics/artwork. Achievements. Easy movement. Game runs flawlessly (Win7U, 64-bit). Widescreen (24").

Love it's a real adventure.
Not many hos (<25% & those that appear are fun.)
Tons of engaging mini-games, all seamlessly integrated into story/gameplay!
OK story so far--not boring yet not super compelling either IMHO.

Dislikes: So far game is far too easy. Yes, we all prefer different challenge levels, but on Advanced, only 1 puzzle I found at all tricky ('Find 15 snakes'). Moreover, dialogues give away hints/clues even on Advanced. One can hardly click anything or even look at Diary without getting unwanted help.

Definitely game is interesting enough & time flew by. But I'm waiting for more reviews before deciding whether to buy CE or wait for SE instead.

Edited on 11/06/2011 at 4:45:21 AM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Nov 6, 11 4:23 AM
This will be a definite purchase when it comes out as an SE. I like it, but I loved the first one (CE) -- until the bonus chapter. I felt really let down as I didn't think it was worth the extra price. So, not going for the CE, but certainly will get the SE.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 6, 11 5:16 AM
This is a very good game. Good graphic, gameplay, puzzles. But I think I will wait till the SE this time

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Nov 6, 11 5:23 AM
Wow what a great game Wonderful, quality graphics and a great storyline. Was surprised and disappointed when my hour ran out. My only gripe is that the puzzles are a little too easy - I would have preferred instructions to be invisible unless requested in a hint, especially on advanced level.

All in all, a good quality game. I got part-way through Ch 2 in the trial, so a decent length for me I think. I will be waiting for the SE, though, as I did with the first DK game, as I haven't got 2 credits spare. But I will definitely be getting the SE when it is released.

plushmoon
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by plushmoon on Nov 6, 11 6:46 AM
What a great game for a lazy Sunday! Took me about five and a half hours in Casual mode (didn't feel up to much of a challenge today...), including the bonus chapter ("Epilogue"):

- very nice graphics
- leisurely pace
- good puzzles (easy but not too easy, enjoyed that I didn't have to skip any)
- not too many HOS (I find it a drawback and It bores me when there are too many of those, I am more of a fan of the adventure aspect of these games)
- interesting enough story
- excellent SG which moves along with your gameplay
- a good bonus chapter.

What more could one ask for? Definitely a fan of Dana Knightstone!

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Nov 6, 11 6:50 AM
As soon as I read BOOM ZAP I had to smile like I always do when I see that name. What a delightful name for a game company!

I played my entire demo hour and had just found the 20 items. Although I never came across a Hidden Object Scene I did enjoy all the mini games and was able to do them all with a bit of thought. (I just hate skipping mini games. In fact I've been signing into 13th skull for four days now just to see if I can complete a mini game and not skip it to go on.)

I did have to turn the music down but did enjoy it as well as the graphics and storyline. I found the gentleman in the library to be annoying. I think he may turn out to be a bad guy. LOL

I really liked this game and will get it as a CE or SE. I want to find out about how long the epilog is as the extra game play is the part I enjoy among the extras in a CE. I plan to buy one CE this month and use my 3 punch card codes to fill out a card.

I really do appreciate this game as the other offering this month was just too difficult for me. I couldn't figure where to go or what to do. Maybe it was me and I'll surely try it again as a SE.

tinaccarroll
Guppy
Guppy
134 Posts

[Post New]by tinaccarroll on Nov 6, 11 7:10 AM
i have window vista. i made it to the circuit board puzzle and still had 34 minutes left to go. im buying now. no problems so far. loved the 1st one also. replayed that one three times. im from alaska by the way. 1 hour back on daylite savings today. getting kinda cold. have a great day.

qwerty4
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by qwerty4 on Nov 6, 11 7:15 AM
Love it! While the puzzles are a bit on the easy side, there are lots of them. Very few ****'s (which can be a really boring for me). Graphics are beautiful. Hints, if you need them, are explicit. Each new scene is labeled so it is hard to get lost. All in all, I wish all the new games were like this!

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Nov 6, 11 7:16 AM
Review based on demo only

Death Under the Tuscan Skies: A Dana Knightstone Novel is the second Dana Knightstone (Death at Fairing Point) by BoomZap. It's gorgeous graphically with great atmospheric elements that come to life with appropriate, moody music. The very effective combination managed to make me feel like I was wandering around an older library somewhere.

Initial options include settings for Full Screen and Custom Cursor, (Note: for wide screen monitors it auto selects wide-screen - Thank you BoomZap!), changes for difficulty level (at least I'm assuming that the presence of this option here allows you to change difficulty level during the game) and sliders for Music and Sound.

The full strategy guide plus all the extras (minus the bonus chapter) are unlocked in demo mode The game also offers achievements.

I have an on-going disappointment to note up front: Even in Advanced Mode, the game gives too many hints either via text, dialogue or journal. Please--I'm begging--please stop this practice. There is a hint button and Strategy Guide available for those who want hints. This is becoming a make or break deal for me as it significantly lessens the amount of time it takes for me to complete the game and it lowers my enjoyment of the game as well.

BoomZap is a favorite developer for me. I simply adore everything they do. Their games, for the most part, never disappoint and this one is a beauty. I'm purchasing it with the hope that it will be the last time Advanced Mode will only be a mode without sparkles.

Edited on 11/06/2011 at 12:56:50 PM PST

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on Nov 6, 11 7:43 AM
I think it should be noted that unlike Weird Park, which I think has a terrible SG, this one is very good. It follows you thru the game. Very enjoyable game so far.

KathyGriggs
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by KathyGriggs on Nov 6, 11 8:41 AM
jennsmom wrote:This will be a definite purchase when it comes out as an SE. I like it, but I loved the first one (CE) -- until the bonus chapter. I felt really let down as I didn't think it was worth the extra price. So, not going for the CE, but certainly will get the SE.

I agree completely! Besides, they are putting out way to many CE's lately an not enough SE's. Kinda wish they had never started the CE's in the first place. Better still, it would be grand to be able to have both the CE & the SE available at the same time so we could choose!

Happy gaming fishies!

Go to: