Mimisix
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

Alignment Puzzles in general.

[Post New]by Mimisix on Nov 7, 11 1:00 PM
This has bugged me forever now. Is there some kind of a standard formula for doing this type of puzzle, you know...........turn on all the lights, turn over all the tiles etc. I just sit and randomly hit lights or arrows or circles or whatever and wait for the hint button to appear. Once in awhile I get lucky and actually hit the right ones.

I hate these puzzles and wonder if there is a standard way of doing them that I just don't know. Any help would be appreciated and thanks.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

Re:Alignment Puzzles in general.

[Post New]by LizzieK on Nov 7, 11 3:56 PM
I have not played this game but here is a classic solution for chasing the lights on a 5 x 5 grid to turn them on or off.

Solution of Lights Out (Classic):
Number the rows 1-5, the columns A-E.
a. For each light on row 1, press the button beneath it on row 2 to turn the light off. This way row 1 is completely unlit.
b. Repeat step a. for rows 2-4, so that now you only have lights on row 5. This is usually called 'chasing the lights'.
c. If the light at A5 is on, press D1 and E1.
If the light at B5 is on, press B1 and E1.
If the light at C5 is on, press D1.
d. Repeat steps a-b, chasing the lights down and it will be magically solved.
This method will not solve the puzzle in the shortest possible way, but it is very simple.

Edited on 11/07/2011 at 3:57:22 PM PST

Mimisix
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by Mimisix on Nov 7, 11 8:44 PM
Thank you so much Lizzie. I had a feeling there was some method to doing these puzzles since I have never seen or heard anyone else complain about them. I thought uh huh.............I'll bet there is a way to do them that others know about and I don't. I am going to print out your reply so I will remember it and have something to follow.

Again, thank you so much.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Nov 8, 11 8:44 PM
The above solution only works on a 5 x 5 grid.

Go to: