bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Nov 11, 11 12:15 AM
Hey fishies!

What did you think of Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, and now you can post them right from the game page! For more information about our Game Reviews, please click here.

Once you’ve submitted your review, please feel free to come back and re-post your thoughts in this thread. Remember, a lot of people who will be reading these reviews haven’t played this game yet, so if you’re posting any spoilers, please be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post. You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game, you can create a new discussion in the game forum. And if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Edited on 11/14/2011 at 2:27:13 PM PST

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Halls: Fears from Childhood

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Nov 11, 11 12:31 AM
Wow this game is really imaginative. I like the graphics and the HOGS. It's not overly challenging which is okay with me. There are no technical issues I can see and I really like the big eye instead of a magnifying glass that shows you points of interest.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 11, 11 2:18 AM
This is my slightly changed review that I added for the CE version:

There are 7 chapters.

There are 2 game modes, and a choice between system and custom cursor.

The voice-over is excellent.

The graphics are, as usual, very well done.

I had no problems with the game whatsoever. Neither did the cursor lag nor did the scene changes take too long.

The animations in this game are superb. There are so many fun and entertaining things happening, it`s incredible. I just loved it all.

I can`t say that the game was short - I certainly played for quite a few hours - but to be honest, just because a game is long, doesn`t mean it`s a good game. Quality is what counts, and that is what I got with this game.

Some peeps said in the CE version reviews that the game was too easy. Well, perhaps. Although it didn`t appear super difficult, there were moments when I was running forth and back, wondering what I had to do next. And besides... I don`t care to play a game where I need to consult a walkthrough at all times.

The IHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) are somewhat cluttered, but because of the superb graphics, images, and colours, it didn`t matter much to me.

I always loved the characters in ERS games - especially the kids - and I have asked many times to see more characters throughout the game, and I got my wish with this game.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Nov 11, 11 5:30 AM
Valdy, just two questions. Was it as good as the first Haunted Halls? And in your opinion, how significant was the difference between the Ce and SE?

By the way, I absolutely loved the first one. I played The CE first and about a year or so later I bought and played the SE. Besides the built in walkthrough, I didn't even remember or notice what the SE was missing.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 11, 11 7:31 AM
cll1950 wrote:Valdy, just two questions. Was it as good as the first Haunted Halls? And in your opinion, how significant was the difference between the Ce and SE?

Well, the CE of this game will have you rescue your husband as well, whereas the SE will only have you rescue all the children.

I do believe this game is as good as the first "Haunted Halls", but in a completely different way. I never got the feeling that I had "been there and done it", if you know what I mean. It was all new and fresh.

heartless500
Catfish
Catfish
1,605 Posts

[Post New]by heartless500 on Nov 11, 11 7:56 AM
Hi Valdy

thanks for the info on this one - downloading the demo now to make sure it will run well, then will more than likely buy.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 11, 11 8:21 AM
heartless500 wrote:Hi Valdy

thanks for the info on this one - downloading the demo now to make sure it will run well, then will more than likely buy.

'ello heartless...

Good to see you are still around. I can't speak for the SE demo, but the CE game played without any problems for me.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Nov 11, 11 11:10 AM
I played the demo and this game is a buy for me, I loved everything about this game Thx DEV's as always for all your hard work and Kudo's to BF

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Nov 11, 11 11:12 AM
Valdy, Thanks for the input. I went ahead and bought the SE. I figured I could upgrade later if I wanted.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Nov 11, 11 12:39 PM
Valdy wrote:
cll1950 wrote:Valdy, just two questions. Was it as good as the first Haunted Halls? And in your opinion, how significant was the difference between the Ce and SE?

Well, the CE of this game will have you rescue your husband as well, whereas the SE will only have you rescue all the children.

Well, the husband can stay lost, for all I care.

I'll rescue the kids and call it good.

celticwolf55
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by celticwolf55 on Nov 11, 11 1:43 PM
Too funny Smallhaven....I agree with you. The husband can stay in the asylum where he probably belongs. I think I'll try the demo on the good reviews and hopefully it will be worth the purchase. I really enjoyed the first one and have been waiting for some games that I can afford.

Thanks all for the reviews. You've sold me. Happy Gaming Everyone and Happy Veteran's Day!!! Remembering our heroes is free....they paid for it.

[Post New]by adelaidedoglet on Nov 11, 11 1:54 PM
This is a very pretty game, but simple. The first Haunted Halls was wonderfully complex in its goals and its tasks. It was one of the more complicated HOGs I've played. This one simple, but fun in a sort of mindless, wow this is pretty, kind of way. I noticed the same difference between the first and second games in ERS's Redemption Cemetery series. Their games seem to be getting more and more appealing visually but less and less interesting to play.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 11, 11 2:06 PM
This is a very good game - the graphic, hogscenes, puzzles, storyline - everything is good. For me its a definete buy - as the standard version

jjj13
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by jjj13 on Nov 11, 11 3:14 PM
Graphics lovely. Puzzles ok. Gameplay too easy and very short even for an SE.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Nov 11, 11 7:09 PM
I am so very much loving this game!!!!

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Nov 11, 11 7:35 PM
adelaidedoglet wrote:This is a very pretty game, but simple. The first Haunted Halls was wonderfully complex in its goals and its tasks. It was one of the more complicated HOGs I've played. This one simple, but fun in a sort of mindless, wow this is pretty, kind of way. I noticed the same difference between the first and second games in ERS's Redemption Cemetery series. Their games seem to be getting more and more appealing visually but less and less interesting to play.

I was thinking the same thing as I was playing. I'm enjoying it of course but the first one was so much more exciting. I loved that it was so strange. Also, same feeling about RC.
I do love the humor in both games. The juggleing squirel was very cute.

celticwolf55
Guppy
Guppy
122 Posts

[Post New]by celticwolf55 on Nov 12, 11 11:45 AM
Okay, I tried it, liked it, bought it. Even though the husband didn't have to stay lost.

At any rate, the graphics are good, the puzzles are unique, and the storyline is pretty good. Not too dark, hint button refreshes relatively quickly and the **** scenes were clear enough to find most objects easily. Not quite as good as the first one IMHO but good enough for an SE.

sandybottom
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by sandybottom on Nov 12, 11 1:55 PM
I loved and raved about Green Hills Sanitarium with it's quirky storyline, traveling throughout the grounds, things to find, etc. But this one.... not so much. I felt like I was playing a completely different series. The hidden object background/foreground was another game, the forest scenes was another game, the music was familiar but this Fears game just didn't do it for me. I was so tempted to buy immediately without trial because I loved, loved GHS, but now that I've demo'd I think I'll pass. But, please trial on your own rather than taking my opinion to heart. We are all different!

Edited on 11/12/2011 at 1:56:39 PM PST

tazdaffy
Narwhal
Narwhal
30,066 Posts

[Post New]by tazdaffy on Nov 12, 11 4:42 PM
I liked the game. Graphics, storyline & voice overs were good.

carnick
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by carnick on Nov 12, 11 5:16 PM
Hi, I just finished the game and loved it very much. I am happy that I waited for the se version, because the game was way too short, even for a se. But this is the kind of games I like, with a lot of searching and things to do. I had to look at the walkthrough a couple of times. Keep giving us good games like this. Have a nice day and happy gaming to everyone.

Go to: