Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

size of file/length of game?

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Nov 13, 11 8:22 AM
Perhaps one of you more technically inclined people will be able to answer my question.

Some of the posts here have implied that the size of the file influences the length of the game. That isn't necessarily true, is it? Isn't it the computer programming (which I assume plays into the complexity of the images, the music, the mini-games, mini-films, etc.) that determines the file size?

I liked the demo of this game, which I didn't finish but I was into the second chapter, which doesn't bode well for the length of the game.

 
Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

size of file/length of game?

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 13, 11 8:24 AM
Lucy1997 wrote:Perhaps one of you more technically inclined people will be able to answer my question.

Some of the posts here have implied that the size of the file influences the length of the game. That isn't necessarily true, is it? Isn't it the computer programming (which I assume plays into the complexity of the images, the music, the mini-games, mini-films, etc.) that determines the file size?

I liked the demo of this game, which I didn't finish but I was into the second chapter, which doesn't bode well for the length of the game.


You are quite right. It isn't true. I am always wondering why some peeps think that just because a game has a large file, it must be a long game. Added animation, music, voice-over and such are MB-eating additions and those are the things that give you a large file.

 
Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

Re:size of file/length of game?

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Nov 13, 11 8:46 AM
Thanks, Valdy!

 
Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:size of file/length of game?

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 13, 11 9:07 AM
And I too wondered about the length of the game. We got 2 chapters for the trial version, and I finished it in just over 50 minutes, and there are 4 chapters in all in the main game, and apparently there are 2 more chapters for the bonus game.

So if I spend another hour for chapter 3 and 4, and lets say another hour for the bonus game, then that makes it 3 hours in all, and that is for the CE, which is way too short.

 
rugrats299
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

Re:size of file/length of game?

[Post New]by rugrats299 on Nov 13, 11 9:59 AM
Just wanted to add length and chapters. It is 4 chapters and 2 bonus chapters It took me 7 hours to complete it is a very long game IMO and worth the CE price finally!!!! Very good game Thank you BF

Edited on 11/13/2011 at 10:00:12 AM PST


 
Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:size of file/length of game?

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 13, 11 12:51 PM
rugrats299 wrote:Just wanted to add length and chapters. It is 4 chapters and 2 bonus chapters It took me 7 hours to complete it is a very long game IMO and worth the CE price finally!!!! Very good game Thank you BF


Thank you for the info, Rugrats. I am interested to know how long the bonus game actually was.

 
spenny1
Catfish
Catfish
1,637 Posts

Re:size of file/length of game?

[Post New]by spenny1 on Nov 13, 11 1:54 PM
Yes about the same for me I think, the main game has taken me 5 hours on the middle difficulty setting so I'm hoping to get another couple out of the 2 bonus chapters if they're similar in length

 
Vickiec
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

Re:size of file/length of game?

[Post New]by Vickiec on Nov 13, 11 7:58 PM
Hi All,
Just wanted to chime in on lenght it took me about 71/2 hrs to play this game . So I think the price was also worth it. If this is there first game of this sort I hope they keep it up the great work, they have already put some Devs to shame ( this is just my thought ).
This was THE best game I have played in a long while, bring on more of games like this and I be a very happy grandmom.


 
Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

Re:size of file/length of game?

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Nov 13, 11 10:26 PM
I have to concur that this game is a good length despite the short SG. I have played off and on all day (in between other chores) and I'm still not done with the main game. The game is pretty complicated, so it takes me five or ten minutes to remember where I was, so I'm playing more slowly than I usually do, but it's a good value.

 
Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:size of file/length of game?

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 14, 11 5:52 AM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:I mentioned this in the review thread, but I'll repeat it here:

Anytime there are a lot of graphics in a game (even if they are just "looped" into the background), especially flames, water, moving clouds, etc, they tend to be memory hogs. Chances are, with the constant flames throughout the game, this is where the high file size comes from, not from the length of the game. I think you'll find that this is just a normal-sized collector's edition of a hidden-object/puzzle/adventure game that just has a higher-than-normal collection of background graphics. Hope that helps.


This has already been established (see my post).

 
Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:size of file/length of game?

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 14, 11 5:54 AM
Thanks everyone who mentioned the time it took them to play the game and, more importantly, the bonus game.

I went ahead and bought the game after all yesterday. I don't usually buy CEs anymore, but seeing that this game seem to have a decent length, and 2 extra chapters in the bonus game, I just couldn't resist.

 

Re:size of file/length of game?

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Nov 14, 11 7:54 AM
Valdy wrote:Thanks everyone who mentioned the time it took them to play the game and, more importantly, the bonus game.

I went ahead and bought the game after all yesterday. I don't usually buy CEs anymore, but seeing that this game seem to have a decent length, and 2 extra chapters in the bonus game, I just couldn't resist.
That's great, Valdy! It's worth the money.

 
Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:size of file/length of game?

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 14, 11 8:27 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:
Valdy wrote:Thanks everyone who mentioned the time it took them to play the game and, more importantly, the bonus game.

I went ahead and bought the game after all yesterday. I don't usually buy CEs anymore, but seeing that this game seem to have a decent length, and 2 extra chapters in the bonus game, I just couldn't resist.
That's great, Valdy! It's worth the money.


Hi Dobbie...

I think so too. I very much enjoy this game.

 
Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:size of file/length of game?

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 15, 11 12:33 AM
darkdisciple1313 wrote:I blame playing Skyrim for nearly 15 hours over the weekend...I was starting to go blind.

Ah, well, better the same intelligent thing said twice than not at all, eh? Cheers!


LOL I suppose you are right. Better said twice than not at all.

 
skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

Re:size of file/length of game?

[Post New]by skr041300 on Nov 15, 11 4:05 PM
Thanks for the info. I really enjoyed this game! Will buy the CE version because based on the reviews, it seems that the bonus section is almost 50% as long as the main game. Seems like a decent value for the price. Any other fishies out there that played the entire game?

 
burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

Re:size of file/length of game?

[Post New]by burf90 on Nov 15, 11 7:37 PM
skr041300 wrote:Thanks for the info. I really enjoyed this game! Will buy the CE version because based on the reviews, it seems that the bonus section is almost 50% as long as the main game. Seems like a decent value for the price. Any other fishies out there that played the entire game?


I just finished the whole thing and I really think that this game is pretty good value for the money. There are two completely different bonus chapters and each is pretty long. I played off and on for a couple of days, but I'd guess it took me 8 or 9 hours in expert mode to play the main game and both bonus chapters - that's without ever accessing the strategy guide or looking for any walkthroughs, etc. (The only "hint" I used was coming here to find out if it was possible to win the knife game in the first bonus chapter, or if there was a glitch.)

 
skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

Re:size of file/length of game?

[Post New]by skr041300 on Nov 29, 11 11:11 AM
Thanks for all your input...I am buying this game even though I almost never buy CEs!

 
 
 
 
Go to: