bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Reviews for Relics: Dark Hours

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Nov 14, 11 12:12 AM
Hey fishies!

What did you think of Relics: Dark Hours? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, and now you can post them right from the game page! For more information about our Game Reviews, please click here.

Once you’ve submitted your review, please feel free to come back and re-post your thoughts in this thread. Remember, a lot of people who will be reading these reviews haven’t played this game yet, so if you’re posting any spoilers, please be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post. You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game, you can create a new discussion in the game forum. And if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgKenai

Edited on 11/14/2011 at 1:59:53 PM PST

kelexia
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

Re:Reviews for Relics: Dark Hours

[Post New]by kelexia on Nov 14, 11 1:03 AM
This is in the genre of Carol Reed meets The 13th Skull.And someone's first go at it.I did'nt play more than 20 mins because i found it too hard to navigate.They use the arrows to move around ,left ,right ,forward.But like CR i end up in the same spot or looking at a wall.There is a map,but for me it did'nt help much.There is also a note pad,like a journal,again not much help.And there is a Think button that gives you his thoughts on the situation.I already had the idea of what to do,but i could'nt find a way to get there.Like CR i end up in circles.But that's me i am sure someone will like it.I'll stick with Syberia and S.H. the Awakened,etc.Try and have fun guys.I can't wait to read other reviews.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 14, 11 1:15 AM
Ok I'm done. 15 minutes in and I can't stand it anymore. Fix the sound and maybe I'll give it another go, otherwise no way. There is SO much narration (which I actually love in a game) but when it's scratchy and hard to ear like a record with a scratch in it, not so much.

The game itself is ok... I love the realistic video games and love adventure games so I really wish this played better. But so far all I've been able to do is find a uniform and start looking for a floor to clean up for Mr Cranky (who is apparently being pushed out of his job because of his age and salary level... like we don't have enough of THAT crap in real life?! We need to deal with it in a GAME???) LOL.

Anyway.. if you like Carol Reed style and if you can get the sound to work looks like it will be a good enough game to pop a code for.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Nov 14, 11 1:26 AM
This is an adventure from Subdued Games; the voiceovers are excellent & expect a lot of dialogue that is not skippable as this is more like a mini movie. It is a supernatural thriller & it has photo real graphics which has never been my favourite; I still prefer really good drawn artwork.

Unfortunately I found the navigation difficult in spite of having arrows showing left, right & back; at the beginning I only discovered the janitor’s uniform by luck as I had no idea where I was in spite of having a map.

Hopefully someone who is better at playing in a first person point of view adventure will give a better review of the game, I did not last more than 30 minutes having given up after I wandered around trying to work out what to do.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Nov 14, 11 1:57 AM
i have an advanture game collections about fifty titles,but this one:not a buy for me
i found uniform,i have several keys,but after that,i don't understand anything the voices say!one or two words and ...nothing is said which could help in fact(thanks for subtittles!)nothing to do with syberia!!!!or SH!i played carol reed games and gave up because of the difficulty to move around!i played also the delaware st john (the three)and gave up the last one because we have to escape from an underground maze in limited time(which i hate,time limited!)and the maze was impossible to escape without the walkthrough;i think this game makes the orientation within this building a challenge which ,for me destroy atmosphere and make this just....well,boring!
but try before making your mind!
i think i'm going to play" dead reefs" again!

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Nov 14, 11 2:45 AM
I love adventure and large file games. This one is for me! The voiceover acting is great and the story to. If your a Hog lover only fan, this game is not for you. I think you really get your money's worth with these games. There just like watching a movie and being in it at the same time. I really enjoy all the "Delaware St. Johns" games and like them also. This is a must have for me, but not for hog lover's. If you've never tried a large file adventure game, give this one a try, you might like it. Enjoy, I know I will!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Nov 14, 11 3:25 AM
This game is similar to Carol Reed from the game mechanic, but without the beautiful game setting and easy navigations. This is a hard game and without a walkthrough I didn`t know what to do after only a few minutes. For me its a no buy

Edited on 11/14/2011 at 7:56:01 AM PST

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Nov 14, 11 5:09 AM
Well. I've played the trial. And sadly it didn't grab me, this Adventure game, though I'm definitely a Carol Reed fan. Don't exactly know what is is. Maybe it's the school environment I don't like so much. All those empty corridors, tables and locked doors... Yeh, ok, sometimes another figure turns up, being real or not so real, but to me that doesn't really add to the fun. I'm only glad something is happening, inbetween all this wandring around, this going back and forth and left and right more than once just to get somewhere that's mentioned on the map. Pfff... boring, really. As Eisteepfirsich already mentioned, I too like Carol Reed more for the environments and the country. While this kind of Stephen King story seems to take place only in this highschool. Of course I haven't played long enough to find out if there are any locations outside the building involved, but I'm givng up at this point. I'm just not amused be this game. Maybe if I read more reviews, I'll be willing to give this game a second chance. But for now I stop.

[Post New]by heatherington on Nov 14, 11 5:45 AM
This is a no buy. Although I like that things are real I didn't understand why the keys would not work on a gate that I was told they were for and if there is a trick to opening the gate, why didn't he tell me what it was. I figured I would be wondering for hours not knowing where to go and what to do. There was an eye if he wanted to look at something, but he never did really want to look at anything. If he was there in search of a necklace he wasn't looking very hard for it. I'm not using a credit on this and I'm certainly not going to buy it with my hard earned money. Especially not without a blog walkthrough, maybe later on when they get one.

lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

[Post New]by lackoo on Nov 14, 11 5:46 AM
No teaser trailer ?

Justine54
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by Justine54 on Nov 14, 11 6:30 AM
A lot of places to go to get NOWHERE.

dfringer
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

[Post New]by dfringer on Nov 14, 11 6:37 AM
This game is by an Indie game developer. I am not very good at adventure games but might give this one a try once the walkthrough is posted.
there is a short trailer on Y-- T--e

Bonniesan
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Bonniesan on Nov 14, 11 7:00 AM
I love adventure games. It's great to see developers using FMV (full motion video) again. I have to say though, this one is tough so far. I've gotten stuck rather quickly and I can't really give it a review until I get further into the story and game.

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Nov 14, 11 7:24 AM
I found this game sort of like those dreams where you are looking for something and keep wandering in circles never finding what you are looking for. Very frustrating. There are arrows but even then I went in circles- only found the janitor's uniform by accident and gave up on trying to get back to the janitor's office.
Did enjoy the voice overs and I think, had I not gotten so frustrated, I would have enjoyed the story line. It appears to have an interesting plot with ghosts popping up here and there but.... make the navigation simpler and it would be a buy for me.

ranger05
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by ranger05 on Nov 14, 11 8:09 AM
I like adventure games, but I have been walking around for 20-30 minutes and all I have found is the uniform. Can't go through any of the doors to the rooms, nothing to pickup, I'm out of here. No buy without a walkthrough. And maybe not even then.

Liz_Lemon
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by Liz_Lemon on Nov 14, 11 8:31 AM
Okay, I thought I'd like this game -- I like the Syberia games and Dr. Who episodes -- but I've played a slow 50 minutes and I keep getting stuck.
It's not intuitive enough and the map isn't helpful at all -- one step equals and entire length of hallway.
I used the keys and got through the gate, and up the steps, but now I just keep going in circles between the security camera in the hall and the security guard at the base of the stairs -- I have a bag of some sort in my inventory -- but when you hover over your inventory, it doesn't identify what you have -- my first thought was -- put the bag over the security camera and pass by it -- but nothing happens when I try that. I can't seem to find anything else in the area to interact with that can help me move on.
I like the narration and concept of the game though.
Looking out on the web for a walkthrough but meh.

[Post New]by hookedonHOG on Nov 14, 11 8:33 AM
I usually dont buy based on reviews but i read a couple that compared this game to the carol reed games-- I have two old carol reed games on my computer that i havent finished barely even started and these games are the most confusing games i have ever tried wont be buying this one based on these reviews

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Nov 14, 11 8:39 AM
This review is based on the demo version.

Relics: Dark Hours is the joint production of Subdued Games and Bryan Wiegele (Inherent Evil, Delaware St. John) Up front options include sliders for Music/Voice; Subtitles can be turned off and Gamma can be adjusted. On the title page, a tutorial can be selected which helps with gameplay navigation and how to use the map and inventory items.

You play as Matthew Hunter and the story opens a year after Matt's father’s death. Matt discovered that his grandfather had once stolen a collection of cursed artifacts that initially bring wealth and prosperity, then sickness and death to those who possess them. The curse has already claimed Matt’s entire family except him, but what’s worse is that his father sold the items, scattering them to parts unknown. Knowing the damage these relics can cause, he’s now determined to hunt them down and destroy them all. The story starts at Ridgecrest High School.

As far as navigation and scenes, I found this game only so-so. The game uses first-person slideshow-style format and filmed sets and characters. It displays still images of each node with the ability to rotate fully around you in 90-degree increments. On the plus side, it's easy to keep track of where you are; on the downside, quite a few screens offer nothing more than close-ups of barren walls. Movement is handled by clicking directional arrows that appear, but only when you mouse over hotspots, and sometimes they are just too random and obscure to find easily. A better approach could have been taken to make navigation easier, such as using the middle of the screen for all navigation, as is quite common in adventure games.

The story, however, is very attractive (it's Bryan Wiegele, afterall) and I really liked what I saw of it. However, it's somewhat spoiled because of the difficult navigation.

I'm going to pass on this one today but am putting it on my list of potential buys.

Edited on 11/14/2011 at 8:47:15 AM PST

mlbmama
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by mlbmama on Nov 14, 11 8:59 AM
I got dizzy going round and round in circles!

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Nov 14, 11 10:21 AM
I LOVE the Carol Reed games, but do need a walkthrough (for directions only of course ) Would enjoy this one too if I had a w/through. I have zero sense of direction and kept going round in circles. The map isn't very helpful. I can't read maps very well anyway. Never know which way to hold them up. Liked the dialogue/acting and story very much. And the hint system would be fine if I knew where on earth I was. But I seem to have spent most of my life going the wrong way and don't want to do so in a game.

Go to: