Extra game=chapter one....how do you win?

[Post New]by onecalidoc68 on Nov 18, 11 6:16 PM
Stragedy guide gives no help on this one. The opponent goes second and always leaves an even number, it is unwinnable...HELP

DeeBeth
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

Re:Extra game=chapter one....how do you win?

[Post New]by DeeBeth on Nov 18, 11 7:38 PM
Are you talking about the knife game? I enjoyed that one.

Spoiler: Highlight to read.

If you select 1 knife the opponent will select 3. If you select 2 then he'll select 2. If you select 3 then he'll select 1.

If it's not the knife game then I can't help because I can't remember.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Nov 18, 11 8:17 PM
The key to winning the knife game is to wait for the computer (your opponent) to make a mistake. If you don't hit reset and are willing to lose a few times, he will eventually take the wrong number of knives on one of his moves. Watch every move for that error and when he makes the mistake, the odds are in your favor and you can win that game.

ScaniX
Clownfish
Clownfish
596 Posts

[Post New]by ScaniX on Dec 6, 11 1:57 PM
WTF? Sorry, but I am just playing this and recognized that he adds up the number of knifes taken per round to 4, thus the game is indeed unwinnable. ^^
I thought you have to look for an additional dagger somewhere. But... wait for a mistake from him? ROFL.

EDIT: Indeed in the second round he did make a mistake. I think (although I am not 100 percent certain) that you have to let him win once. It happened after I "lost" during the second game, it did not happen when using reset (for like... 1000 times). XD

Edited on 12/06/2011 at 2:07:19 PM PST

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Dec 6, 11 3:35 PM
ScaniX wrote:EDIT: Indeed in the second round he did make a mistake. I think (although I am not 100 percent certain) that you have to let him win once. It happened after I "lost" during the second game, it did not happen when using reset (for like... 1000 times). XD

Yeah, I did the same thing. I kept hitting Reset every time it was apparent that I couldn't win. Finally, I came here to see if this was a glitch and read a post by one of the developers that you can't hit Reset or he won't ever make a mistake. So, yes, you have to lose at least one game. I guess that's a life lesson for me... sometimes you have to lose to win.

ScaniX
Clownfish
Clownfish
596 Posts

[Post New]by ScaniX on Dec 7, 11 5:36 AM
Hehe, yes. Seems to be that way.
I kinda missed the "reset" part in your post, so I had to make my own experience.

ChocPeng
Herring
Herring
346 Posts

[Post New]by ChocPeng on Dec 12, 11 7:26 PM
Ok, I'll go back and continue to lose games to him to see if this works.

However, I'd like to protest this game here, because I am really, really unhappy with a game that is unwinnable the first time you play it.

Human nature is going to tell us to continue to reset, because it clearly says if we are the last to move, we lose. Gamers like me who have been around a long time have often experienced losing an internal game or puzzle that causes your entire game play to be wrecked. Who hasn't played a game where hours, even days of progress were ended because you lost or misplayed a puzzle and lost it.

And, after you play the full first game, you have figured out the pattern and realized that the game is, in fact, unwinnable.

For those of us who are playing on expert, there is no SKIP button and it would appear our game is over.

As a matter of fact, I came back here to demand my money back, only to see that someone has suggested I lose until he breaks his pattern. Well, that's fine, but unless I turn to the Internet for a cheat, there is NO CLUE or indication ANYWHERE that he might break his pattern.

In conclusion, this mini-game SUCKS and has no place in this or any other game, and the developer sticking this at the end of this game really leaves a bad taste in my mouth about this game overall.

hyperbole
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by hyperbole on Dec 17, 11 10:50 PM
Meh, I have to agree with ChocPeng. I'm an old school adventure gamer and have many memories of pushing the wrong button and ending up dead in a game. There is no indication that losing the knife game will help you in any way, not even in the strategy guide. That game had me glad I decided to split the difference and just play in advanced mode so I could skip it. I must have restarted that game a dozen times before I gave up. It would have been nice to know the rules before I wasted my time.

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Dec 18, 11 9:44 AM
I'm also an old school adventure gamer and always lived by the motto "save early and save often." I miss the opportunity to save the game and then do something outrageous and see what happens. With the automatic save system you can get yourself in trouble if you run into a glitchy game and you are much less likely to be adventurous and just try anything. I miss that. However, I have learned to occasionally make a manual backup of my saved game file at certain points in the game. That way I don't have to start completely over if I run into a glitch later on.

Tamlin55
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by Tamlin55 on Feb 25, 13 5:22 PM
I just played it and won on the first try. I kept picking three knives till we got near the end, then changed the number so he would go next, and I got the last pick. Don't know if that was good strategy or dumb luck! But you can win without losing once, and you can win!

burf90
Flounder
Flounder
2,276 Posts

[Post New]by burf90 on Feb 26, 13 7:16 PM
Tamlin55 wrote:I just played it and won on the first try. I kept picking three knives till we got near the end, then changed the number so he would go next, and I got the last pick. Don't know if that was good strategy or dumb luck! But you can win without losing once, and you can win!

Maybe it depends on the difficulty level you chose. In Hardcore, anyway, you can't win until you lose at least one game to your opponent and only then will he ever make a mistake that allows you to win. The developers said this outright in a post somewhere, but I don't remember where. Perhaps that's only if you choose Hardcore or the next harder level, though.

I saved a back up copy of my game before I started playing for the first time and loaded that one every time I lost. I know in Hardcore I probably played 50 games and lost the first time on every try, before I found that post from the game developers. Only then was I willing to lose a game to win in the end. (I'm pretty stubborn. )

Go to: