cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 19 November 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Nov 19, 11 12:02 AM
Any comments fishes?

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

Re:Todays DD 19 November 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 19, 11 1:58 AM
Well now, when they arrive in a remote location in a trailor hurling through space in a tornado there's the first big plus. No wrecked car by a haunted mansion.

Second is it displays WIDESCREEN on my laptop 17" diag. Now why can't the programmers of most new hit games do what this dev did a year ago??

Worth the time to do the trial. And, seems to have had some very good reviews for being fun and innovative when released. I don't know how I missed it when released but never did a demo.

Okay, got my stuff packed and preparing to spend the night in a cave, have a feeling it isn't a desert isle, but if so, that's okay, I like their mode of travel. Took me some time to figure out the gameplay and it is different. I usually don't care for the balloon pix to find (exception Steve Sheriff2 won me over).

The screenshots look very dark but so far on laptop they are viewable, and one of the options besides wide (auto corrected) is Brightness. I dialed down most the sounds as it's near 2am, don't want to blast neighbor with thunder.

Although lots of objects in scene locations are quite small they are visible, like finding playing cards, small batteries. Maybe the widescreen and colors make it easier on my old eyes.

Very nice graphics and many different things to do. There is a WT if some are too dark, in the meantime I'm enjoying the show and will buy. Just finished 3 long difficult (for me) CEs so this is a welcome relief, something different

Edited on 11/19/2011 at 1:59:33 AM PST

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Nov 19, 11 2:01 AM
It's an ok game for the $2.99 DD price. But not for my laptop that's for sure! Items are wayyyy too small to find. Yes yes I know... they are to scale and that's all well and good but they need to be a BIT bigger. I'm not talking giant paperclips here but bigger than a millimeter would be nice. I'll try it later on my 25" monitor and see.

The other real problem is that it all feels rather tedious... it's the same old same old... first have to pack your suitcase... then you have to find parts of some of the things you're packing... then for some strange reason you're finding 28? or something like that cards that are scattered all over the house. And apparently this couple is SO into cards that they'd rather play cards that just get in the car and drive on their trip... with only the 28 cards apparently so not sure what exactly they're playing. Bored yet? Yep I thought so.

Anyway... as I said... it's ok for DD price but nothing too exciting here.

Should mention... it does come with lots of options such as widescreen, brightness etc... so that's nice. Hints are pretty slow to charge and with such small items you'll spend some time waiting which is annoying. Music is ok. No voice acting. Graphics are clear and a mix of realistic/cartoon which is... different.

Bobbie53
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Bobbie53 on Nov 19, 11 3:51 AM
Just bought this game. Cannot believe I stayed with the demo for 45 minutes until it ran out. I usually exit and enter several times and leave a game for awhile thinking maybe when I come back it will get better. I hung in and did find out it got better and better. There are enough variations to the same theme to keep it fun.

Stay with it through the demo. I believe most will find it a worth the DD price.

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Nov 19, 11 5:06 AM
A steal at $2.99, the game gives a nearly perfect balance of challenge & fun.

It's got a decent, detailed story, is fast moving, never boring...
attractive graphics with many little special effects that show "love" from the devs.

Puzzles are good & varied & the adventure tasking elements show good care for "logic".
Item searches are terrific with bubbles/circles opening to show what we need to find--very slick--this game improves considerably on standard mechanic for this type of searching.

Game initially got rather poor ratings primarily due to the truly awful grammar of the localization/translation.
A subsequent build has addressed the poor grammar.

A long, funny, clever, adventure game--definitely recommended!

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Nov 19, 11 6:17 AM
I really don't know why I did't bought this game than. I played now the demo and I like it very much.

So, it's a buy for me this time.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Nov 19, 11 6:37 AM
Just got done trying it out and it looked like a cute and fun game, so I bought it.

Sunshinej

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Nov 19, 11 9:36 AM
I bought the game when it 1st came out, The game is excellent, I had so much fun playing this game, everything was great about the game thx again DEV"s and BF..Hope you will have a part 2..
Happy gaming fishes!!!

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Nov 19, 11 9:54 AM
I remember playing this on some other site and liked it but never finished. It's a good deal for the DD price. A good adventure, but the only problem is the items are real small and have a hard time finding them. Would like them to be bigger. Storyline is something a little different and guess in order to find out what the game is all about, I will have to buy it..

Edited on 11/19/2011 at 9:56:10 AM PST

Euskalduna
Stingray
Stingray
5,991 Posts

[Post New]by Euskalduna on Nov 19, 11 10:27 AM
I was going to buy this game, but went to my favorite reviews site and its review is so bad, I decided not to. But whoever buys it, good gaming!

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Nov 19, 11 1:18 PM
I think the developers really tried with this game, but didn't succeed. You have to collect things to complete a task. I finally gave up with feeding the wild boars. The game doesn't tell you how many mushrooms you must find. For example I used the hint button and it brought me back to a mini-game. I thought I was suppose to finish it, but the objects wouldn't pick up. Come to find I was to pick up more mushrooms. I became tired of the game and deleted. If you see objects to pick up for later use, the game won't allow you to do that either.

[Post New]by easterday99 on Nov 19, 11 1:28 PM
This game is delightful. Fun and different. I agree could not believe how fast the trail went by. Give it a shot, I bet you will like it.

Also, I am a TM fan and only play HOG once in a while so it is surprising that I didn't get angry during the first hour.

What's going on with no TM games? Does anyone know why we just don't get them anymore.

Hey_j
Flounder
Flounder
2,098 Posts

[Post New]by Hey_j on Nov 19, 11 4:40 PM
I enjoyed it enough to purchase as a no-stress fun game when I want to relax and still feel a little challenged.

I highly suggest you try it for yourselves and see if you don't agree!!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 19, 11 5:08 PM
ETA after demo timed out and I bought it it had not saved my last screens(2). Not sure now at which points one can exit and save, maybe end of chapter. Anyway, I had to go back and gather firewood again and back to the trailer for food. Wasn't difficult since that soon after I could remember most of where the items were. I'm into jewls, runes and sockets in the cave and was afrad to quit if I had to go back and find mushrooms again LOL.
Those multiples could get tedious, but I put the WT on my pc monitor to follow on my laptop which did help to find some you don't see. Good there is no misclick penalties cuz you have to look everywhere, open drawers, cupboards etc. hen the hints helped find the last 2 playing cards, or the WT helped too when clicker hand got tired and I gave up.

Maybe because I didn't exit after one location that caused the saved drop, so try to finish one task before leaving. It's still fun compared to some heavy ones I played lately, kinda silly in fact, but makes me want to keep going to see what is next.

Maybe I missed some dialogue in the beginning, but where are their kids? One of the first rooms to search was full of toys but no children, then they take off on a trip without them? Or even worry where they are when a tornado just ripped through. Hope they are safe with inlaws (I worry about things like that ) And the Dad hurt his arm so bad his wife had to go find a place to sleep and haul wood. But next morning he has not even a bandaid even after she found the First Aid stuff. I feel sorry for her, the jerk.

Off to explore some more, cheap thrills $2.99.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Nov 19, 11 5:52 PM
Pretty unique gameplay, nice graphics - nice price - a buy for me - though if they hadn't done the grammar fix - I'm thinking it would be very annoying!!

silentpages
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by silentpages on Nov 19, 11 6:03 PM
I really like this game. The puzzles weren't silly difficult. I am ok at hogs & this took me several hours. I'm sure some can do it faster, but so worth the DD price. Maybe a sequel is coming!

silentpages
Guppy
Guppy
156 Posts

[Post New]by silentpages on Nov 19, 11 6:12 PM
I have learned to exit during demos so I know what to expect. When you leave this game, you come back exactly where you left. End of demo tends to make you lose progress on almost any game.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Nov 19, 11 11:35 PM
puzzledone wrote:

Maybe I missed some dialogue in the beginning, but where are their kids? One of the first rooms to search was full of toys but no children, then they take off on a trip without them? Or even worry where they are when a tornado just ripped through. Hope they are safe with inlaws (I worry about things like that ) And the Dad hurt his arm so bad his wife had to go find a place to sleep and haul wood. But next morning he has not even a bandaid even after she found the First Aid stuff. I feel sorry for her, the jerk.

Tom and Amy are the kids in this game.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Nov 19, 11 11:50 PM
What a cute game! I think it's a very nice mix of the puzzle/iHOG genre, and I enjoyed finding odd numbers of items. Graphics were well-done, and I enjoyed the quirky music - thought it added to the game. I don't think that the game developers quite figured out how old Tom and Amy are supposed to be - they both are apparently old enough to drive, yet Amy's room looked like it belonged to a six-year old.

Like others here have said, I don't know how I missed this one before during my perusal of BF's inventory.

This isn't going to be a long game for me - I was already into chapter 3 when the demo ran out, but I'm going to get it anyway. It's a good buy at the DD price.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Nov 20, 11 11:59 PM
@Dobbie - thanks for the correction, I missed something in the beginning maybe, not a fast reader. By the end I learned they are brother and sister, when all through it I'm thinking young marrieds. Well, you gotta admit those toys were a bit immature in the kids' room.

Yeh I had some fun with it, and at least it looked great on widescreen and most colorful, nothing dreary. Albeit stretched but really didn't notice distortions. Except some puzzles were rectangular not square as on the WT. I liked the different way of finding things and only 3 or so locations for one task, not so much to remember.

Next time around try it if you missed DD this time.

Go to: