bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Mystery Stories: Mountains of Madness

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Nov 19, 11 12:18 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Mystery Stories: Mountains of Madness? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond and you can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Mystery Stories: Mountains of Madness page here.

Have questions about our new reviews section? Please check this forum post and our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread. Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Edited on 11/19/2011 at 12:19:26 AM PST

geniegal
Clownfish
Clownfish
603 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Stories: Mountains of Madness

[Post New]by geniegal on Nov 19, 11 12:34 AM
Well, I lasted for 20 minutes. Got through the first scene. Found a bunch of dead guys and dogs, found a strange creature frozen in ice and opened a gate. The next thing I knew I was flying off somewhere in a plane and was told by the narrator there were bizarre ruins below. And wouldn't ya know, the plane crashed?

Sorry, but this story is not making a whole lot of sense. (And my explanation is probably not making any sense either)

I think I'll pass on this.

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Nov 19, 11 12:49 AM
After 30 minutes of play.

choice of casual or expert.
Achievements

I believe this might be considered a HOG lite. Only one HOG scene during the 30 minutes. Easy to find items. Also only found one puzzle so far., That also was fairly easy ( an easy version of pipes). The difficult part is trying to figure out what to do next. There is an option for a hint and also one for advice. Click once on advice and it tells you maybe what can be used. click on it again and it will tell you more.

The storyline is kind of jumpy but not terrible. Music was on in the background but I will probably mute it if I buy it.There are voice overs in the beginning. Not sure of the length but had just started Chapter 2 during the 30 minutes. I may buy it as it doesn't seem that easy from a wandering around aspect.

[Post New]by Lelia43 on Nov 19, 11 12:49 AM
That was so funny

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Nov 19, 11 1:07 AM
Hello all.

I have only played this game for 42 minutes. I stopped to exit and buy in case it exited me.

Well, what can i say. I see this is is the third mystery stories out "Island of hope" and "Berlin Nights" being the other two, neither of which i have played, but on a quick glance neither have rave reviews either.

I checked because I could not understand why this game was being released as a SE & thought it must have been a CE earlier, but it wasn't.

OK, There are two modes to play which are changeable in game.

The options are sound, music, custom curser, full screen, and ratio aspect, which means that unusually my lap top screen is filled.

Further more there are options in some of the scenes to go "wide screen" and enable scrolling for a more panoramic experience, but the fact it is an option means it caters for those of us prone to motion sickness.

I can understand why they included the option though, the scenery is stunning & graphics are excellent on my lappy.

There is also a voice over at the begining of chapters.

The story is a bit different too & has intrigued me.

I played on easy mode so I don't know if the harder mode has these options, (and there is a skippable tutorial) but you have goals to for fill, like "enter the tent" . The hint system will give you a general hint on one click & a more detailed hint on subsequent hints.

There are Hidden Object Locations (HOL's ) and some times it is find 10 of this etc but also fins many objects, which you would expect to find in the location.

I have come across 1 mini game that was unique and enjoyable.

You collect achievements along the way.

I have absolutely no idea why this game is as SE. May be it is something to do with length, something i have no idea on I'm afraid, but i will post back later to give an idea.

All in all this is a brilliant game so far & I am off to buy.

Jojo

Edited on 11/19/2011 at 1:29:35 AM PST

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Nov 19, 11 1:15 AM

There are a number of things to like, graphics are bright and clear and in broad daylight a nice change.Lots of snow, mountains, and plane crashes. There are also dead bodies and a missing person. The mystery to solve is who or WHAT done it. The hint system is very good, in fact its almost like having a built in strategy guide without the necessity of leaving the game.I only played 40 min. (not a fast player I like to take my time and enjoy), in that time I found no puzzles yet, but two hidden object scenes that were not junk piles and all items which were many could be found with ease, they also were items you would expect to find on an expedition.
It seems to me to be a game you might want to play when the grey cells need a little rest, maybe as a respite after Turkey Day.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Nov 19, 11 1:25 AM

I really like this science fiction mystery adventure with a few H0 scenes sprinkled lightly.

Very logical puzzles and progression sequences with clear graphics (one optionally scrolling screen, so far) and interesting story. Music was OK - not distracting.

I got as far as the tower, getting the book fragments, solving the ring inlay puzzle, and was about the put Gedney's book page back together when I was timed out of the demo.

No technical problems at all and I will buy early next month.

Thanks devs and BFG!

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Nov 19, 11 1:27 AM
Played the demo and I like it. I like mysterys and this game have it. Beautiful graphics. I have seen two puzzles and 3 HOS. HOS are easy to see. The hintbutton is very good.

It's a buy for me.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Nov 19, 11 1:45 AM
Oh my goodness -- 2 minutes and I was hooked. I had to check and make sure this wasn't a CE. Incredible graphics, widescreen, some 3 dimensional scrolling scenes (can be turned off), compelling story, well executed game composition. There is a diary, a hint system, an objective list, and an advice button, but help is progressive -- little nudges at a time. Hint gives you a visual clue, advice gives you more guidance. One disappointment -- an excellent voice over during opening cut scene, but after that, just quoted dialogue text.

Two modes of play -- hard eliminates sparkles for hot spots. H0G lists appear in scenes that have other interactive areas -- you must find all items before you can leave the scene. (I was almost hoping this was a straight adventure game, but the items were not too hard to find -- I will forgive the inclusion.)

There are even achievements, and given their descriptions, plenty of tough puzzles to solve. In the 25 minutes I played in hard mode, I had several tasks using inventory items, 1 H0G scene, but no puzzles or mini games yet. (Hard mode isn't easy ) Also garnered from the achievements -- there are four chapters, but IMHO this will not be a short game.

The story is based on the novel by H.P. Lovecraft. I do read these kind of sci-fi / surreal books, but haven't read Lovecraft. Has anyone here read it? The story is pretty gruesome so far, and cold -- the search is in Antarctica. But, as I said, I'm hooked on everything about this game.

I can only repeat, the game feels like a CE and you can get it with a punch coupon. What's not to like? 4.5 (5 if it had voice over.)

Edited on 11/19/2011 at 1:54:28 AM PST

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Nov 19, 11 1:58 AM
This game from Cerasus Media is based on an H.P Lovecraft story; in 1931 an Antarctic expedition team is found dead except for one who is missing. After finding the team you have to travel across the mountains following the trail of the missing member & you find an ancient city in the ice.

This is an adventure with hidden object scenes (I found 4 during the demo plus 1 with pictured objects rather than a word list) & relatively easy mini-games (there was a skip button). You are given tasks to complete & these are shown on the bottom of the screen, the hint button which does not need recharge is a little erratic as to its usefulness. Sometimes when I got stuck trying to figure out how to complete a task it would sparkle over an object that helped but just as often I could not understand what the hint was telling me to do.

The task list is more of a ‘do this next’ so more experienced gamers may find this a little too much hand holding. There is a Casual & an Expert mode, the only difference is that the casual has sparkles at areas of interest; you can change mode while ‘in the game’. There are 30 achievements to collect.

There are no voiceovers & the dialogue is clickable, the music is a little like a film score. The graphics are also fine, a little bit grainy on my monitor; you can switch on ‘scrolling’ which I really liked as it took you, visually, closer to the scenes & it made finding some objects easier; some of the items are pretty small & not easy to find. In the options menu there are a lot of screen sizes that can be selected.

Given that this is based on a good author I believe the story will be intriguing;so I this is a buy for me today.

ETA removed a sentence that might be a bit of a spoiler

Just finished & took about 2-1/2 hours, I am a medium paced player I think, enjoyed the storyline & the gameplay.

Edited on 11/19/2011 at 9:31:36 AM PST

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Nov 19, 11 2:14 AM
Govols2: "I believe this might be considered a HOG lite. Only one HOG scene during the 30 minutes."

Hilarious definition!!! I suggest to use it in the future...

Lol, well I found 2 HOG scenes, 17 minutes left (of 60 minutes), and I can "live" with it... Seems that the Adventurers and the HOGers are bound to "build a new country" together, and we have to compromise...

As I have some weakness for Archeology, I always was attracted to this kind of games (that's why I like HOGs, "to rub in it" ).

With the add of Science Fiction aspect - I really am intrigued. Very interesting plot, and really splendid graphics! Kudos developers!...

The hint system is very helpful, and I used it without a shame!... It doesn't let me to stuck, and that's all I need.

The movement is easy and enjoyable, Very relaxing and supporting, which is issue No. 1 in Adventure Mode.

Bought of course.

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

Edited on 11/19/2011 at 2:17:11 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Nov 19, 11 2:33 AM
It only goes to show that you can make a game with good graphics, some voice-over, and animation, and still only have a file size of less than 130MB.

This game automatically comes in widescreen and fills all of my laptop monitor.

Although the custom cursor is a little heavy-handed, I rather use it than the system cursor, because the system cursor does not change when pointing at different directions.

For some reason, this game reminds me of the "Samantha Swift" games, which I always liked.

I also like the sideway scrolling, which is also available in games like "The Clockwork Man" and "Ancient Spirits: Colums' Legacy".

The inventory list can be locked or unlocked, which means you can make it disappear when it's unlocked.

I am loving the graphics, and gameplay, and will be buying this game.

jojo_the_joyful wrote:Well, what can i say. I see this is is the third mystery stories out "Island of hope" and "Berlin Nights" being the other two, neither of which i have played, but on a quick glance neither have rave reviews either.

Jojo

I didn't care for and didn't buy those first 2 games, but I like this one.

Edited on 11/19/2011 at 2:38:36 AM PST

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Nov 19, 11 2:39 AM
Not for me at all.

The flow of the game was all over the place, as someone with mental health difficulties concentrating is hard even on the great games, so imagine what was happening with this one...I kept getting confused and wished they would make it flow a bit better.

Not sure on the length of it but I was up to chapter 4 or 5 when the hour was up, seemed like a long way to get into a game, but not sure.

The bright graphics were refreshing like others have said, but if the storyline does not grab me and if the game is too confusing I will be staying away from it.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Nov 19, 11 2:41 AM
At first I didn't think the game was going to be very good. It seemed kind of "old-school" in a way. But after awhile, I started getting into it more. The graphics were pretty good. The music was fitting - an arctic wind blowing with a suspenseful theme. The **** scenes and mini games were challenging enough. There was some screen scrolling and a little roll reversal thrown in. It kept me totally focused for the hour and was disappointed when it ended. I would rate it an 8 out of 10.

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Nov 19, 11 2:52 AM
At first I thought old-school based on the first two Mystery Stories that I have but after 30 minutes of game play, it is a definite buy. The game play is easy and I really do love the clue and hint systems, great addidtion to the game. The graphics are crisp and clear and the story line so far is interesting enough to make me want to go farther. Its not a challenging game so newbies of the adventure genre will definitely enjoy. Not heavy on HOG and I love that there is a scroll option which you can turn off or on. This is way better than the first two games. I have punchcard awards that I will defintly use on this and spend a lazy afternoon playing. Im not sure what the game length is, I expect it to be on the short side. We shall see. Overall it has been a great week at BFG, thanks so much and have a great week-end everyone.

[Post New]by Bigbrowndog on Nov 19, 11 3:43 AM
Lord of the Rings soundtrack anyone??

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 19, 11 4:07 AM
Thanks for the good review Jojo, but for God's sake don't complain it's not a CE ! And there's no hamsters in it, LOL !

Beautiful graphics
2 modes to play
H0 are not junkpiles
Good voice overs
Interesting mini games

It's a buy for me. Interesting story, it seems to be more adventure than H0, you have to scratch your head. Very good game. Wonder how long it is...

Edited on 11/19/2011 at 4:08:32 AM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Nov 19, 11 4:34 AM
I started it around 0330 or so, and I finished after 0700, so to me it is a decent length.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Nov 19, 11 4:43 AM
A great game here based on the Lovecraft story and he is one of the best horror writers ever. Opens in widescreen and offers aspect ratios in the options menu which is huge plus and makes the game appealing to more people (as every dev should do every game). Has very nice animation, beautifully spooky graphics, easy control, and voiceover---and the amazing thing is that the file size is only 130 MB.
Overall, the story is a good one, and the game is excellent.
Highly recommended and a definite buy!
Kudos to this developer and to BFG!

msdawn01
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by msdawn01 on Nov 19, 11 4:46 AM
i 'm stuck, on my way to city ,can't figure out the markings ?

Go to: