[Post New]by LeneHansen on Nov 20, 11 12:27 AM
WAY too many sparkles everywhere!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Manor: Queen of Death Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Nov 20, 11 12:35 AM
The sparkles are everywhere! Very annoying. No voice overs. The hidden object screens I have played were good and the items were easy to find. Created by TE. Not familiar with them. Lacking the quality of a CE. Not impressed with this game at all. Music is also irritating. Developers really need to provide subtle music. It is like a funeral dirge. A no buy for me. Very disappointed at today's selection. The graphics are beautiful and the quality is very good. They should have incorporated different levels of difficulty, which they did not. The SE provided yesterday was of better quality than this game. Sorry! The sparkles take out the challenge in the game.

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 12:38:06 AM PST

lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

[Post New]by lackoo on Nov 20, 11 12:38 AM

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 11:30:30 AM PST

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Nov 20, 11 12:44 AM
Love the graphics but this is another game where you have to be led all over the place to discover what to do next. What is with this new trend?

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Nov 20, 11 12:48 AM
I think I played for about 30 minutes. Not really sure as I got an access violation when I clicked on quit and will have to restart computer.

No voiceovers.
No choice of difficulty level.
Strategy guide only shows chapter one and one page of chapter two.
Wallpapers are locked for those that like them early.
Creepy bug scene.

I rather like the story and I think they could have done a lot with it. But there is no choice for difficulty level. HOG scenes have sparkles and there are also little sparkles on areas of interest. First mini game was fairly easy maze. Hog scenes are nice. Mostly easy to find with a couple that are better hidden. One good thing is that there are no comments when you click on something that needs something done. I turned the music down pretty quickly. Just didn't like it. I would like to know what happens in the storyline just not sure this is CE quality.

Agent_99
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by Agent_99 on Nov 20, 11 1:03 AM
I like the graphics, the music and the overall style. I don't find the sparkles overly intrusive, though I do agree that it would be nice to have more than one difficulty level.

I sometimes wonder how long the different difficulty levels have been a regular feature of the HOG experience now? It seems to me to have barely been a year - maybe less? I'm not good with time (drat!)! It seems like such an obvious and logical option, but I also can't exactly put my finger on the time it became almost "expected". Anyone know?

At any rate I really do like this game and am buying it after 15 - 20 minutes of play; something I rarely do!

Hope everyone at least gives it a try! Happy gaming!

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Nov 20, 11 1:05 AM
Shame, it looks quite nice but sparkles everywhere, even in Hid Ob scenes! No way to turn them off so no buy for me even if it was a SE. It seems so basic to me to at least offer an option to not be shown every next move, what are the developers thinking? that we are all 6 years old! Off to play Azada, now that's how it should be done.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Nov 20, 11 1:11 AM
The only thing that appeals to me about the game is the graphics which are crisp, clear- very nice.

The story lines of these CE HOGs are getting ridiculous and I am tired of the monsters jumping out thing.

Too many of theses games around now. I would like to see something a little bit realistic and although I don't mind some fantasy- when the story is just plain silly - forget it!

Too much of the same old.

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Nov 20, 11 1:26 AM
After playing my usual 30. min I got tired of the sparkles, it just ruined what looks to be a very good game.The inability to play without the sparkles spoils the fun of the adventure of finding your own way.

The hidden object scenes were not too difficult and the puzzles were interesting and different, unfortunately between the narrative and the sparkles you mind as well be playing side by side with the guide.

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 1:28:16 AM PST

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Nov 20, 11 1:29 AM

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 11:51:33 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 20, 11 1:29 AM
Never mind the sparkles, couldn't exit the game fast enough in order to buy it and still, I played 40 minutes ! , really had to fight with myself to exit the game.

Gorgeous graphics
A lot of mini games not too difficult (up to now)
A creepy story, just as expected and just as I like, even if Devs should show a little bit more imagination about their themes.
Shame there's only one difficulty level, may be in the full version ? (one can always dream !)
You do interact in H0 (sparkles are a bit too much there ) but objects are cleverly hidden.
Possible spoiler , highlight to read : the scratched girl's face on the portrait reminded me of Emperess of the Depth 1.
No voiceovers, but the music is good.
Was glad to see the twin sisters back, but the one you play is definitely too naive.

I've bought the game, and now it's mine, all mine !

Some people may not appreciate the very realistic, living bugs...

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 1:31:48 AM PST

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Nov 20, 11 1:35 AM
Good morning lovely Fishies

Well I have demo’d this game for and this is what I thought after playing the full demo.
The demo version is 332 megs compared with 713 megs of the full CE
I was expecting to be disappointed with this latest offering, mainly because we have had a few very good games released as SE, and with a little bit of tweeking and extending could have made excellent CE’s.
Todays offering falls very short of the mark in some aspects.
The options are sound, volume , custom curser and full screen, but in this CE the full screen does not extend to my lap top unlike yesterdays SE game.
There is NO voice over, although the music is quite nice and fitting and although the game offers NO difficulty mode, there are sparkles galore. In fact i like sparkles, but they were even annoying me by the end

Also in the trial version you can only access the first chapter and first page of the second chapter in the strategy guide. There is absolutely no indication of how many chapters there are or how long the game is. Other bonus’s such as sketches, music and wallpapers are only available when you finish the game, (If you can wait that long)
However, my review is not all doom and gloom.
The story starts out cheerfully enough. You get a letter whilst at school from your sister, telling you your parents are dead & so off home you go. <rolls eyes>
The game is a mixture of inventory based adventure and Hidden Object Locations (Hol’s) The few minigames I have come across were unusual and very enjoyable, if a touch on the easy side.

The HOL’s were beautifully done and I had no problem finding the items if I looked carefully enough. The hints fill up rather slow though.
It is such a shame as actually I quite like this game and it will be a definite buy for me, as an SE, as it lacks certain finesse as mentioned earlier,( when clearly as other games have shown these things are quite feasible to include) and no indication of length (or value for money).
I hate to put the dampeners on games like this, but it just isn’t up to the mark.

Jojo

lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

[Post New]by lackoo on Nov 20, 11 1:37 AM

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 11:30:36 AM PST

rhorho
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by rhorho on Nov 20, 11 1:38 AM
Yes, some of us like sparkles, me for one. What I didnt like was in the h.o.g. scenes was the part where you clicked on an object and the objects moved with out something behind it.

Corie60
Herring
Herring
379 Posts

[Post New]by Corie60 on Nov 20, 11 1:45 AM
I downloaded the game and played for 55 minutes. Yes, the sparkles got on my nerves at first, but I adjusted. The graphics are beautiful and they have incorporated some beautiful colors in this game. Even though it is a creepy game, it is colorful
No, there were not many options and that could have been improved with little effort. At least different modes of play for those that dislike the sparkles. I dislike them for finding inventory items, but do appreciate them for HOS. There are some areas of sparkles that when you click and a drape moves there is nothing for you to acquire. Perhaps items that are there will come into play later in the game.
I was completely engrosed in the story and I think I will part with a few credits and get this one. Hopefully I am not sorry
I usually take longer to decide on games as I have 17 waiting for me to try when I am done with Keepers, but this one just grabbed me for some reason.
I always read the reviews and usually agree with them, let's see how this independent move on my part works out
Thanks everyone, love to read the reviews!
Corie

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Nov 20, 11 1:46 AM
Developers: Top Evidence (Haunted Manor: Lord of the Mirrors - one of my favorites).

5 chapters + bonus game. Seems quite long.

Superb quality, amazing animation, helpful hint system, and a lot of ghosts! Just my Alley.

I think it's legitimate rival to Return to Ravenhearst - the creepy aura is overwhelming...

Sparkles? Which sparkles? I didn't see them at all... Besides, I need them, because I don't remember the places I have to click on...

Welcome TE, you will be placed among my favorite games!...

Thanks developers, Thanks BF!

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Nov 20, 11 1:49 AM

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 11:39:31 AM PST

lackoo
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,430 Posts

[Post New]by lackoo on Nov 20, 11 1:52 AM

Edited on 11/20/2011 at 11:30:50 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Nov 20, 11 1:53 AM
Wanted to add that some objects you have to pick up are not indicated by sparkles, so be careful !!!

Go to: