bfgRhone
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Nov 23, 11 12:13 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond and you can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the
Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition
page here.

Have questions about our new reviews section? Please check this forum post and our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread. Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 12:33:32 AM PST

bfgRhone
4,302 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Nov 23, 11 12:14 AM
For those of you who are planning on submitting a review on the game page here, please remember that you will not be able to edit your review once it’s been submitted. This game has many chapters with several twists and turns, so you may want to play through more than just the demo before leaving feedback.

bfgRhone

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 12:33:17 AM PST

Tink44
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Tink44 on Nov 23, 11 12:42 AM
(removed by moderator)

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 1:20:35 AM PST

[Post New]by mauriandlaw on Nov 23, 11 1:15 AM
(removed by moderator)

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 1:20:17 AM PST

bfgRhone
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Nov 23, 11 1:18 AM
Hi everyone,

I'm just popping in to remind you to reserve this thread for reviews only. Comments such as "downloading now" and commenting on your anticipation on the game are best suited for the comments thread here.

If you have any technical issues, please let us know by posting in the thread Post any Mystery Case Files:Escape from Ravenhearst Collector's Edition technical issues here only .

The moderation team will go ahead and remove any off topic comments not related to reviews for this game.

Thank you!

bfgRhone

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 1:27:57 AM PST

julie2753
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by julie2753 on Nov 23, 11 1:25 AM
Playing it looks great, a little hard but as its bedtime in new zealand i will play a bit more tomorrow, but i have to say its a goodie so far, lovely clear graphics, and a bit spooky lovely

julie2753
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by julie2753 on Nov 23, 11 1:26 AM
Playing it looks great, a little hard but as its bedtime in new zealand i will play a bit more tomorrow, but i have to say its a goodie so far, lovely clear graphics, and a bit spooky lovely

[Post New]by Karinipeking on Nov 23, 11 1:31 AM
I played the demo version and it lasted for about 40 min. The graphics is good and its a beuatiful game, maybe a little bit dark. Sound is ok.

In the hidden object scenes you have to find morphing objects so it is much waiting to see objects to morph so if you dont want to use the hint button, wich charge quickly, it will be a long game. No minigames so far.

There is no option for difficulty, and no sparkles. The strategy guide is easy to follow.

I dont know if I will buy the game beacuse of the morphing objects. I think its more fun to search for items in the hidden object scenes.

First the game also was a bit slow, and the cursor stopped. I dont know the english expression but in Sweden we call it "laggar", it went better after a while

EDIT: I found a button that might fit in a minigame in a place i went by.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 1:43:13 AM PST

puppycake
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by puppycake on Nov 23, 11 1:58 AM
What can I say.......no wonder our youth is so disturbed today *sigh*

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
218 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Nov 23, 11 2:00 AM
Incredible graphics, best I have ever seen in a game. I am about 1 1/2 hr into the game and there are no sparkles anywhere. The anti sparkle crowd should be jumping up and down with glee. Instead of the typical HOG scenes the objects are morphing objects and there are random numbers of them to find depending where you are. Some are not that easy to spot. Voice overs are well done and music is randomly used. Great sound effects. Not the easiest game I have ever played by far but the strategy guide is fair decent and keeps your place. There is a journal but no map that I can see. Mini games a bit sparse at first and they are not overly difficult but not a walk in the park either. I rate it a 10

geri_mac
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by geri_mac on Nov 23, 11 2:01 AM
It looks amazing I also beta tested a few weeks ago and even though there were still a few bugs in it I enjoyed it, Im looking forward to it and download is fast and so far everything seems to be ok, enjoy it everyone

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
4,764 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Nov 23, 11 2:03 AM
Based on the trial.

Congrats to BFG and their development team for this game.
Opens in beautiful widescreen with clear and very crisp graphics and the game play itself is easy and fluid.
For those like myself who have played the other Ravenhurst games the story draws you in immediately----very creepy and very interesting,
The strategy guide is different but very helpful.
Love the morphing objects as something different to look for and if they become too difficult the hint button is quite fast and the SG is available.
Overall, the game is absolutely fantastic and completely different and is certainly everything a CE should be. Watch and learn other devs---BFG has shown the way with this gold standard game.
Off to buy, d/l, and play---enjoy, everyone!

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 4:27:08 AM PST

goddess280653
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by goddess280653 on Nov 23, 11 2:07 AM
julie2753 wrote:Playing it looks great, a little hard but as its bedtime in new zealand i will play a bit more tomorrow, but i have to say its a goodie so far, lovely clear graphics, and a bit spooky lovely

Hey Julie 2753 it does look like a real goodie and, I agree it is bedtime in New Zealand !! I have just finished the demo (not very long about 20 minutes) but graphics very good and gameplay interesting and, I just luv spooky

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 2:08:42 AM PST

LeftBehind
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by LeftBehind on Nov 23, 11 2:12 AM
Morning Fishes,
I just finished playing the free trial, and I am buying this game for sure. I didn't have any playing problems. The music, sound effects and graphics are super good, and spooky. The voices cut in and out as they speak, but I figured since they are ghost, they probably would have a little voice box thing going on, and that's normal right

I am a Ravenhearst fan and was very glad to see this new one come out. I expect this game to be every bit as great as the last ones, which for me means I'll be sprouting roots to my chair again. I'd better go start bringing in the necessary supplies to support life, so take care Fishes and enjoy.
Carol

[Post New]by heatherington on Nov 23, 11 2:30 AM
I found this to be nice and spooky. I loved the car taking out the gate (same car as in Dire Grove) which had enough padlocks on it to keep out Houdini. Still a nice bolt cutter would have done the trick if you wanted to stand there forever. They have taken morphing to an all time high and I must say I don't really care for the way they messed up with my hidden object scenes. You have to stare longer now. In the demo (which was only 20 minutes long) I never encountered a mini game. However, I am willing to overlook a great deal just to play a MCF game again. I had no trouble downloading and no problem with cursors or anything like that. The SG is good as it keeps your place, as noted above. Music great and the ghosts always warning you to stay away and don't go any further. So of course you will, cause what's the fun in staying home and not doing anything.

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on Nov 23, 11 2:46 AM
I was looking forward to this one. Have just played the demo (30 mins and yes I "cheated" and used the SG a bit because I got impatient ) but am left feeling unsure about whether I will buy. The graphics and music, as ever, are outstanding. The atmosphere is spooky, I LOVED going back and recognising bits from my previous visit as well.

I just don't like those dang morphing objects. They're cool, as an "extra" little touch (as in Madame Fate and the CE of Dire Grove for example), but as a replacement for EVERY potential H0 scene? Not for me. I found it frustrating and a little tedious if I'm honest.What a shame - I feel like BFG took a creative, novel gimmick and went overboard with it! I think it would have been better to have had a mix of morphs and H0 items. Because of this, I am definitely not going to purchase this game as a CE.

Because of the potentially long and exciting gameplay, I will be waiting and getting as an SE and I just hope there won't be too many morph scenes and they don't drive me too mad

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,710 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Nov 23, 11 3:03 AM
Hello all,

Well I have been playing this game for @ 90 mins in total, on & off.

I expected great things from this game after all the hype. I did not get great, I got spectacular.

Quickly running through the basics, this game fills my lap top screen. There are options for windowed, high definition, subtitles, custom curser, music, effects and environment.

There is a diary that is worth reading from time to time, if not for the subtle clues, for the tongue in cheek humour.

The game has 5 acts and the strategy guide has @250 pages. I am upto page 27, but I am s slow player and have been mooching around quite happily. That still means an estimate of 10 hours playing for me.

The SG also indicates that there will be some games with randomized answers, so the SG solution might not fit your game.

It also says that there will be some timed games also.

I absolutely love the hidden objects, "morphing" Yes sure you are sat there looking at randomness, it is quite mesmerising LOL. A tip from me, if you think you saw something out of the corner of your eye, you probably did

I have found quite a few subtle but humorous inclusions, throughout.
E.G. In the diary "given the amount of damage I have inflicted here in the past I didn't hesitate to .....

There is something very funny in the car if you torment Madam Fate too much and some references to the Blackpool weather. This game does for Blackpool's tourist industry in the same way bird flu effected the sales of Turkey Twizzlers.

I'll write more later & condense it into an uploadable review when i have played a lot more,

All in all 10/10 so far.
Jojo

Edited to add: It took me well over 2 hours to complete the first act.

Into act 2 now and I have found a straight but unusual straight HOG scene and an absolutely hilarious eye poking game.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 5:06:36 AM PST

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,710 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Nov 23, 11 3:04 AM
duplicate post.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 3:05:43 AM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,656 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Nov 23, 11 3:04 AM
Oh wow!
I've played up to getting into the manor and I love it.
Whilst there is only one difficulty level, it seems to be on a par with RTR.
I like the morph as hidden object. Note that in the beginning there is a cluster of morphs. When you get down to the last three or four they are one at a time. The hint recharges quickly, so that shouldn't be a problem.
I'm playing in HD (with black bars) on a 24" monitor and the graphics are spectacular.
I can't think of anything negative to say. I've seen one sparklie and that was understandable.

Staril
Minnow
Minnow
218 Posts

[Post New]by Staril on Nov 23, 11 3:24 AM
Well ... I'd have to say this is a definite "No". The graphics are great and it's obvious that a lot of time and money have been spent on creating the game. Looks like it will take a lot of work to get through.

But ... a whole H0G scene of morphing objects??? I loved the old idea of watching for maybe 1 per location but a 12 on a screen? Just sitting staring at a screen waiting for something to change ... it's akin to watching paint dry and about as exciting. Really disappointing and it meant I exited the demo after about 10 minutes. There have been several really good games this month and I was excited about this one

Go to: