Solice
Clownfish
Clownfish
676 Posts

Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by Solice on Nov 23, 11 2:36 PM
I wanted to take a moment to give you an explanation regarding the status of the Mac release.

In order to take Mystery Case Files to the next level, making it more immersive, intense, and engaging as possible, we had to build an entirely new engine. After that engine was created and the PC game was completed we were able to start rebuilding the game for Mac. Despite our hard work and intention to have both PC and Mac complete and ready to launch at the same time, that did not happen.

Please be assured, getting the game built and launched on Mac is our #1 priority right now. Unfortunately I do not currently have an estimated release date, as soon as we have information we can share we will let you know.

Edited on 04/26/2012 at 12:12:34 AM PST


 
sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 23, 11 3:51 PM
Thanks, Solice. I posted a link to this in the Poseys Folk Chat so that any Mac users who are visiting there will see it.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 3:51:38 PM PST


 
vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by vingilot on Nov 23, 11 4:34 PM
So does that mean the soon is actually sooooooon?

 
GRANDMANONNI
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,005 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by GRANDMANONNI on Nov 23, 11 5:13 PM
Thank you very much for the information, Solice, please be assured that none of the MAC fishies are angry at you. I know some of our posts have sounded very angry and we are, angry at the situation. If this game were the only one we had ever had to wait for, maybe we would have taken the news more calmly, but this is just the latest in a long string of games that we have not gotten. Maybe if we had been told sooner of the delay we wouldn't have been quite so bent out of shape. I know for myself, I feel mislead and lied to by omission. I would imagine the powers that be had a pretty good idea at the time the speculation thread was started that we would not be getting the game at the same time as the PC players. That would have been the time to tell us, they should not have let us get caught up in the excitement of the approaching release date when they knew that we were not going to get the opportunity to participate.

I understand that due to our smaller numbers, we don't have the same power as the PC customers. I understand it, but I don't have to like it and I shouldn't be made to feel it. That is very poor customer service. I would hope that next year you don't have this same issue.

 
ZazuGirl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by ZazuGirl on Nov 23, 11 5:51 PM
Just wanted to say I don't think there is any reason to be angry that the MAC version is later than the PC version of the game. They almost always are, that is just the way things roll.
My friends and I are excited for the MAC version to arrive, but I am certainly not going to get upset if it doesn't happen at the same time as the PC. I don't feel like I was misled or lied to, or tricked in any way.

Life has enough real things to get angry about, a game isn't one of them.

 
bgtts
Clownfish
Clownfish
610 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by bgtts on Nov 23, 11 6:30 PM
Solice, thank you for updating the Mac side of BFG. That is much appreciated that we are being kept abreast of what is going on. Hopefully, the Mac version will be "sooooon" as per Vingilot.

ZasuGirl, wise comments. There are certainly many more serious issues around the world and in personal lives to make a game a focal issue. Seems we are human and without enough serious issues to address or a need to escape, these games serve a therapeutic purpose.

 
vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by vingilot on Nov 23, 11 6:37 PM
bgtts wrote:Solice, thank you for updating the Mac side of BFG. That is much appreciated that we are being kept abreast of what is going on. Hopefully, the Mac version will be "sooooon" as per Vingilot.

ZasuGirl, wise comments. There are certainly many more serious issues around the world and in personal lives to make a game a focal issue. Seems we are human and without enough serious issues to address or a need to escape, these games serve a therapeutic purpose.


No, no! We want it soon, not sooooon! The more o's, the longer it takes.

ZazuGirl - I agree. We were hoping for a dual release, as last year's MCF was a dual release. Yes, I was disappointed by the announcement, but now I'm back to awaiting eagerly for the game - and snerking a little at all the PC gamers who get to test drive it for glitches for us Macs.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 6:41:56 PM PST


 
twotrickponies
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by twotrickponies on Nov 23, 11 7:59 PM
from this frustrated old dell pc (with the non-upgradeable graphics card) owner and anxious mac user - i can wait...

is it done yet?


is it done yet?


is it done yet?


is it done yet?

 
gwenofala
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by gwenofala on Nov 23, 11 8:25 PM
I just sent a email to the support team asking when it would be available for Mac , I received an email from BF that Return to Ravenhearst was here ! I quickly downloaded it before I realized that it was for pc I was so excited and the let down was awful. Then I decided to check out the PC friends and seen this post.. so that answered my question.. I guess.

Maybe by the end of the week.. I'm hoping anyway !

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 8:29:43 PM PST


 
swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by swedane on Nov 23, 11 9:41 PM
gwenofala, I sympathize with you, I been known to do the same! BF came to my rescue and exchanged it to a Mac version.

Played MCF demo on our old PC, and must admit, I didn't like the morphing scenes at all. If it was an occasional few MO's it would be fine, but all hog scenes are morphing object scenes. Players also gets penalizes if they click around too much, in the form of added morphing objects. As an adult and paying consumer, I have severe reactions when treated as a child! Will think twice before buying it for the Mac.


Edited on 11/23/2011 at 10:13:25 PM PST


 
aquix
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
433 Posts

Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by aquix on Nov 23, 11 11:31 PM
Solice wrote:I wanted to take a moment to give you an explanation regarding the status of the Mac release.

In order to take Mystery Case Files to the next level, making it more immersive, intense, and engaging as possible, we had to build an entirely new engine. After that engine was created and the PC game was completed we were able to start rebuilding the game for Mac. Despite our hard work and intention to have both PC and Mac complete and ready to launch at the same time, that did not happen.

Please be assured, getting the game built and launched on Mac is our #1 priority right now. Unfortunately I do not currently have an estimated release date, as soon as we have information we can share we will let you know.


THANKS SO MUCH for the info, Solice! We really appreciate you taking the time (and having the courage ) to let us know what happened.
If you wouldn't mind, we'd LOVE occasional status reports -- you don't have to give us any possible release date(s), just an idea of the amount of progress being made. (And even unforeseen stumbling blocks when they happen. Frankly, I can sometimes get so fascinated hearing about the process, including those inevitable stumbling blocks, that it takes my mind off of my unhappiness about not having the game!) Hmmmm..... sounds like an interesting MacForum thread!

BTW, I hear there are MANY software developers (including Macs application developers) who are unemployed or underemployed right now. I bet some of them would be VERY happy to help with the platform conversions of those many great games still waiting for MAC releases. (Feel free to pass this suggestion WAY up the ladder. Hint, hint to the BIG BOSSES. )

 
avsutton
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by avsutton on Nov 24, 11 12:23 AM
Here's what I have to say about the delay in the Mac release:

AAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Humph.

*sulks*



Y'know what's really sad though? I actually own an HP laptop with Windows 7 and all that stuff. And I'm STILL gonna wait for the Mac release. Am I an idiot or what?

 
sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 24, 11 4:41 AM
vingilot wrote:
bgtts wrote:Solice, thank you for updating the Mac side of BFG. That is much appreciated that we are being kept abreast of what is going on. Hopefully, the Mac version will be "sooooon" as per Vingilot.

ZasuGirl, wise comments. There are certainly many more serious issues around the world and in personal lives to make a game a focal issue. Seems we are human and without enough serious issues to address or a need to escape, these games serve a therapeutic purpose.


No, no! We want it soon, not sooooon! The more o's, the longer it takes.

ZazuGirl - I agree. We were hoping for a dual release, as last year's MCF was a dual release. Yes, I was disappointed by the announcement, but now I'm back to awaiting eagerly for the game - and snerking a little at all the PC gamers who get to test drive it for glitches for us Macs.


Actually, Vingi, the "gliches" that most of the PC gamers are running into are not true glitches in the game, but inadequate computers, mostly out-of-date video cards or their drivers. From what I understand about Macs (and it isn't much) I don't think you have to worry about driver updates. Video cards, maybe; updates, no.

I haven't seen anything yet that would be a true glitch in the game - something not working the way the developers intended. So once the Mac users get it, it should run smoothly for you.

Edited on 11/24/2011 at 4:45:08 AM PST


 
GRANDMANONNI
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,005 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by GRANDMANONNI on Nov 24, 11 5:59 AM
ZazuGirl wrote:Just wanted to say I don't think there is any reason to be angry that the MAC version is later than the PC version of the game. They almost always are, that is just the way things roll.
My friends and I are excited for the MAC version to arrive, but I am certainly not going to get upset if it doesn't happen at the same time as the PC. I don't feel like I was misled or lied to, or tricked in any way.

Life has enough real things to get angry about, a game isn't one of them.


Of course there are bigger issues to get angry about, and believe me I do get angry and express my opinion on those bigger issues, unfortunately there isn't a lot I can do to impact those bigger issues. Small issues like this, we should have to power to change.

Not getting the game isn't even the real issue, it's only a symptom of the bigger issue. MACs have been around a long time, we had our first one in 1995, the thing was huge, it took up the entire desk! lol Anyway the problem of products not being released for MAC in a timely manner should have been taken care of a long time ago.

One of the big rules of customer service it to provide the same quality of service to all customers. That is not happening and THAT is what we, as consumers, are fed up with. Most people I know have MACs as their personal computer. When I go to the Mall, the Apple Store is jam packed with people, the PC store (or whatever it's called) is directly across the walkway from them and is usually empty. We are a growing group of consumers. As paying customers we really aren't welling to put up with delayed products and services any longer. The only way to change that is to make our voices heard.

 
vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by vingilot on Nov 24, 11 7:04 AM
avsutton - I'm on the hunt for a PC tomorrow, if I can find one cheap enough. If I succeed, I'm still going to wait for the Mac version of EFR. Macs are way better to play games on than PCs, and I don't want to play EFR on anything else.

sinshack - Nope - no driver updates here; graphic cards tend to be top of the line, so I don't think that will be an issue for most of us. Good info to know! Thanks, sinshack!

Nonni - The Apple store where I live is always packed too. I think most of those people are looking at the iPads to purchase and playing with the computers, wishing they could afford them. My thought is you can buy a PC every couple of years, or get a Mac and be done with it.

 
hrslvr_paints
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,224 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by hrslvr_paints on Nov 24, 11 11:38 AM
Definitely eagerly awaiting the Mac version. I've started the demo of the game on my mom's PC but I'll probably not finish it in favor of waiting for the Mac version as my mom's mouse is very glitchy. (Hello Christmas present.) Mine runs a lot better than hers does. I just hope I don't have to play the game in windowed mode on my Mac since on my mom's the bottom of the screen gets cut off just a little if it's in full screen mode.

Status updates would definitely be appreciated.

 
vingilot
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,175 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by vingilot on Nov 24, 11 12:23 PM
Paints - Did you try changing the resolution on your mom's PC?

 
hrslvr_paints
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,224 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by hrslvr_paints on Nov 24, 11 1:43 PM
vingilot wrote:Paints - Did you try changing the resolution on your mom's PC?


No. It doesn't really matter since I'm not buying the game for her computer. I don't really use hers that much so yeah. But I think we are probably going to get her a new mouse (hers is no longer on the manufacturer website to update drivers or anything like that) and/or speakers for Christmas.

 

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by mcfjunkie38 on Nov 24, 11 2:25 PM
I hope everyone is right about the few days til the Mac release instead of a few weeks... I really do look forward to this game every year. My Thanksgiving feels a little empty without the newest MCF...

 
avsutton
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

Re:Regarding the Mac Release for Escape from Ravenhearst

[Post New]by avsutton on Nov 24, 11 11:58 PM
One thing I want to point out is that with a game as big as EFR, getting this for the Mac may not be as simple as creating a MacWrapper and slapping it "around" the PC game.

Then again...... if you've got a big enough Mac, and most of them are, just download Boot Camp, install it on your Mac along with some legal and appropriate version of Windows, then run a dual boot system. Then you can play both kinds of games, and there are plenty of PC games which never have made it to the Mac which I still want. So this is the route I'll probably be using, and I'll keep my PC lappie just for the Microsoft Office stuff as I'm too cheap to buy a full copy for the Mac and it came with the PC lappie.

So anyway, I'd counsel just a bit of patience for us Mac users which is funny for me to say as I'm chewing my fingernails down to nubs over EFR.

 
 
 
 
Go to: