textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Comments for Shattered Minds: Masquerade Collector's Edition

[Post New]by textrekkie on Nov 27, 11 4:24 AM
A place for your comments about the game.

Re:Comments for Shattered Minds: Masquerade Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shantita on Nov 27, 11 6:36 AM
Anyone can tell me where to find the safe dial at the art gallery ?

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Nov 27, 11 7:20 AM
alpha_Tau wrote:Hi fishies,

Not a bad H0 game, overall.

The storyline was OK, but not very involving, with some repetition of approach. The art-work was not up to the standard of some of the more recent H0Gs, but passable, if somewhat fuzzy. The latter issue made some of the H0 scenes a little annoying.

I experienced no significant bugs or problems with movement, mouse actions, etc. However, after H0 scenes and cut-scenes, the game appeared to be somewhat slow to recover to the normal "exploration" mode.

The bonus section included rather repetitious use of H0 scenes and objects.

My most significant gripe is the length. I completed the trial, the full game and the bonus, together, in just over four hours. I would have expected more from a CE.

Best regards,
aT

Thank you very much for your review Alpha_Tau it has helped me decide on which version of the game to buy.

Cherb

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 27, 11 7:50 AM
I may buy this game as an SE with a free coupon, but I don't feel it is up to CE standard. Of course coming on the heels of Ravenshearst, it pales in comparison. Its back to junkpile H0's (sigh). The graphics are not great, grainy in my view and overall it just didn't grab me. Will wait for the SE and may get it then.

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Nov 27, 11 2:21 PM
It's interesting how many people have commented on the grainy graphics. I don't find them to be grainy at all. I'm enjoying this enough to buy the CE which I couldn't say about Ravenshurst. I probably would have waited for the SE but I need 3 punches to fill another card before the end of the month and have no confidence I will be able to do it with SE's in the next 3 days.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Nov 27, 11 5:14 PM
I like this one; it is the kind that I reallyl enjoy playing. Graphics are fine to me, it has hogs, with interaction, and I like the story. Puzzles have been fun to figure out. Music must be ok, as I didn't turn it down, lol. Would buy right now,except I had to cancel my card on account of a fraudlent transaction, and will have to wait until I get my temp card tomorrow. I am angry about that, and will take steps to ensure I always have a replacement card. I am so ready to play this game.

PS: I will never use my card in a restaurant again...we think that is where the theft of my card info happened.

pisces7
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by pisces7 on Nov 27, 11 6:25 PM
I totally agree with alpha Tau on all that was said!! I expect way more from a CE game and was a little disappointed with this one. I have gotten single games that
had more content.
Guess I'll have to resort to try before I buy which is a shame considering I was under the assumption that all the CE games were always('til now) GREAT!!!
I hate being wrong.

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Nov 28, 11 5:15 AM
I thought the graphics looked fine. I played through the demo but I couldn't muster much enthusiasm. As usual the terrible writing let things down. When will developers realise that the written word contributes to atmosphere? They seem to have no concept of style or tone in prose. I know there are often translation issues but a lot of this stuff would be bad in the original.

I won't claim that writing is as important as the sound and graphics in these things, but when it's bad it can certainly RUIN the atmosphere just as well as anything else! And 95% of the time it is bad.

Edited on 11/28/2011 at 5:27:13 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 28, 11 7:46 AM
I am wondering why the full unlimited version is shorter than the free sample version.
I thought this was just a typo error on the game manager, but I decided to buy this game afterall, as I needed the extra punch credits for this month, and it is reinstalling at the shorter length. Makes me wonder what is being left out.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Nov 28, 11 12:09 PM
It's a nice enough game. I didn't have any problems with it, which is nice since I have bought quite a few games recently with technical issues and glitches that just frustrate me no end.

But it let itself down a bit. It has a good story and was well thought out but as stated by others, graphics are grainy and rather ordinary, whereas with a little more creativity and effort they could have been much more elaborate. So, unfortunately, after waiting over a month for this game, I feel it did not live up to it's potential. Could have been so much better.

Sophistication is a word I have used a few times in describing graphics. I'm not sure if it conveys what I mean to others, but it's the word that I feel the most in relation to them. This game lacked that.

Nice theme, though. Not too bad, devs. Just do better next time.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Nov 28, 11 12:44 PM
I thought the overall graphics were good, but in the HOS they were reduced and grainy.

The story had potential. However, there is an art to building a story and making the player feel the suspense. It's not done with just an opening scene and then a trail of newspaper clipings and victims - that's ERS' approach, too and why their games get so boring.

Take a look at Curse of the Opera - the suspense in that game was palpable and real - mostly because it had other characters who played significant parts.

Penguin29
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by Penguin29 on Nov 28, 11 1:32 PM
I liked this game... enjoyed playing, but I think it was way too short for a CE

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Nov 29, 11 2:06 PM
I wish I would have read Alpha Tau's post before I bought this game. Not that it isn't a good game it is but I would have waited for the SE had I known how short and easy it was. I feel like BF got one over on me with this one.

Go to: