bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Reviews for Fruit Mania

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Nov 28, 11 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies!

We’d love to hear what you think of Fruit Mania; your reviews are very important to us and to other Fishies. And now you’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game right from the game page page over Here!

For more information about our Game Reviews, please click here.

Once you’ve submitted your review, please feel free to come back and re-post your thoughts in this thread. Remember, a lot of people who will be reading these reviews haven’t played this game yet, so if you’re posting any spoilers, please be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you ended your game play, so that other players can get more out of this discussion !

For any other discussions or comments other than your general feedback on this game, feel free to go ahead and create a new discussion in the game forum. If you are experiencing technical issues, remember to check out the support thread here.

Happy gaming!
bfgKenai

Edited on 11/28/2011 at 12:40:26 AM PST

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fruit Mania

[Post New]by kdubs on Feb 17, 12 3:01 AM
Played the full hour trial, no tech glitches. Not that I know what makes the difference, but I'm running XP-Pro SP3, with all Microsoft, Direct-X, and graphics card updates current.

Unless I missed it, there is no option to play it untimed. So if I just missed that option, please let me know!

When the timer runs out, it offers two options: Start that level over but lose score...or...Continue to clear the level but lose a life.

The timer lacks precision and once it gets down close to end, gotta watch cuz all of a sudden it just gulps the remaining seconds. It has the unfortunate 'ticking' noise as it gets close which only adds stress (like the heart-beat thumping in the Cradle games).

Some of the icons were somewhat difficult for me to differentiate as more types were added. Especially once they started putting chains over them. Also the icons are a smaller footprint than on many M-3's.

I did enjoy making the matches to stop the occasional bugs from reaching the board. That was easy enough. I never pay attention to all the pop-up hints, so I don't know what happens if a bug reaches the board.

Goal is to gather the fruit in quantities great enough to purchase the various powerups. Once you have purchased powerups, they can be 'refilled' by collecting more of them while you are clearing the levels.

Unfortunately, while tiles are cascading, can't do anything but wait for it to settle. And that blasted timer is ticking away.

This would have been a buy tonight...but the lack of an untimed option rules it out for me.

Edited on 02/17/2012 at 3:07:55 AM PST

Lazyhab
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Lazyhab on Feb 17, 12 4:21 AM
I really wanted a new Match 3 but won't purchase this one as it doesn't
have untimed!! Maybe this can be changed in the future??

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Feb 17, 12 8:19 AM
Fruit Mania is a Match 3 game. The premise is you rebuild an orchard and keep away the invading bugs. To rebuild the orchard you acquire trees via clearing the match screens. You have to obtain 'X' number of a certain fruit to obtain a tree. This fruit also determines the bonus power up. After you receive a tree, the fruit needed is different. While you're matching, bugs come toward the board. You can buy "bug helpers" (items that help rid you of the bugs) in the shop by collecting a different type of fruit during the match game.

It's a cute premise for a game and I love timed Match 3 games. However, I found the board movement too slow and clunky for my taste. I never ran out of time or even came close to running out of time in the 30 levels I played. But the tile drops are plunk-plunk-plunk-plunk (half-second intervals) without smoothness and you can't make a move while the tiles are in motion - the cursor turns into a hand that indicates 'WAIT'.

It could be impatience on my part, because I'm used to a much faster pace in Match 3 play, where the tiles are dropping all over the board and I'm making moves at the same time they are falling, not even looking up.

But the game is worth a try. For those who like a slower paced game or even untimed Match 3's, you may find this most accomodating.

Edited on 02/17/2012 at 8:16:01 PM PST

[Post New]by afunnyfarm on Feb 17, 12 3:25 PM
I tried playing this game twice. both times, it locked up my computer. I couldn't even do ctrl atl delete. this happened when i clicked on play

SublimeOne
Clownfish
Clownfish
795 Posts

[Post New]by SublimeOne on Feb 17, 12 4:03 PM
Any Match 3 game where I can't match while the tiles are dropping is an automatic No-Buy for me.

This has the potential to be a great game. The bugs that head for your board are a cute addition to a standard M3 format and could make things very interesting in later levels. But sitting and waiting until the other tiles plunk, plunk, plunk down is just too annoying for me.

The graphics are good and I thought the tutorial was clear without dragging on too long. Also, while I wouldn't play untimed, not including an untimed option doesn't make sense. Especially since this game moves so slow as it is.

Dianeteacher
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Dianeteacher on Feb 17, 12 7:30 PM
Okay, short and sweet. Does anyone remember Magic Tales? Well, guess what - it does not run on Windows 7 - only on XP. I went to my other computer and all was well! BF, why do you not explain this to people before they download what they think will be a great game.

See you around the XP pond...

Diane

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Feb 17, 12 8:25 PM
Just checking back in to see if anyone had found a way to select an Untimed Option.

I really did enjoy this trial. But twiddling my thumbs with a timer ticking away the seconds, waiting for tiles to stop dropping so I can make another match -- not my idea of fun.

Darn it. Okay, going away quietly now.

Supernerd
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Supernerd on Feb 17, 12 10:45 PM
Don't like it. Too slow and clumsy for my liking. I prefer an Untimed mode, and faster moving tiles.

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Feb 18, 12 2:55 AM
Hi everyone,

Thank you for your reviews so far. I just wanted to remind you to please refrain from posting any technical issues or non-review comments in this thread, to reserve this thread for reviews only.

Please feel free to to re-post your technical issues HERE.

Other off-topic comments are welcome over in the general thread for Fruit Mania HERE.

Please note: any further non-review posts after this reminder will be removed.

Thank you!

-bfgRhone

ritchieprod
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by ritchieprod on Feb 25, 12 5:21 AM
This one is too slow and clunky for me. I love Match 3 games, but waiting for the tiles to stop plopping down was tedious. Just as the game would get going, a cascade of instruction windows popped up, further slowing the play. I didn't even make it through the demo. I prefer smoother movement and less waiting for the game to catch up to me. Definite no buy.

[Post New]by ptggrandma on Feb 26, 12 12:42 PM
Not a great deal of help and the screen is hard to see, so you don't know when the level is completed, and then you end up losing the time and losing a life. Too slow because you cannot do any M3 when the tiles are dropping. I got to level 5 and could not seem to complete the level and all the tiles were the same color. Sorry I bought the game. Also, it would be better in untimed mode, so that you could play and wait while those tiles are falling and you have to wait for another move.

NormaNorman
Minnow
Minnow
224 Posts

[Post New]by NormaNorman on Feb 28, 12 2:56 PM
Supernerd wrote:Don't like it. Too slow and clumsy for my liking. I prefer an Untimed mode, and faster moving tiles.

Ditto. Game is sort of pretty, and appears to have a sort of second tier goal which is always fun, but gameplay really feels clunky. I don't do clunky.

[Post New]by acecyberwitch on Mar 2, 12 10:47 AM
big no for me for all the reasons already stated by other members

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Mar 6, 12 7:16 AM
I bought it and have played quite a few levels now, and I'm finding it enjoyable. The bugs you have to destroy aren't as terrible as you'd guess from playing most other games - they actually make me smile when they tag the board, run away, and set me back on my progress - they're sorta cute. The difficulty level is not too hard, and the music is relaxing. At present the game background picture is a beach, which I like.

Update: I just finished level 67. By now it's getting much harder to win in time, but I have 38 lives that can be used to continue without starting the level over, so I'm still okay so far like that...

Update 2: I'm glad I bought this one. I got thru all 99 levels with about 30 lives left over (- but don't ask how many I lost in the process lol). It then starts back at level 1, but leaves your score and weaponry intact (!), so it's a whole new ballgame all over again.

Edited on 03/11/2012 at 3:00:16 PM PST

Go to: