bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Dark Parables: Rise of the Snow Queen Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Dec 1, 11 12:14 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Dark Parables: Rise of the Snow Queen Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond and you can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Dark Parables: Rise of the Snow Queen Collector's Edition page here.

Have questions about our new reviews section? Please check this forum post and our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread. Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

For any comments or discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum. If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Edited on 12/01/2011 at 12:17:03 AM PST

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Parables: Rise of the Snow Queen Collector's Edition

[Post New]by CasualGran on Dec 1, 11 1:10 AM
Goodday fishies!

The newest Dark Parables as the TGT today! Great! As a lover of this series I've bought it right away, cause I just know I'm going to love every minute of playing it.

It's a FROG (fragmented object game), which means you'll have to search for fragments, to be combined when you've found them all to the objects required. I like a good FROG now and then, but that's strictly personal of course.

The graphics are beautiful, as we're used from these devs. Inbetween searching you will collect parable gems. When you've found them all, you have the whole story of The Rise of the Snowqueen.

There are voice-overs (!) and pretty well done. Also, you can choose an easy game mode, with all the handholding you could possibly need, but you can get less of that playing normal mode, and if you really want to explore on your own, you can click on the 'hard' button. So, every gamer can find his of her preference. Compliment to the devs!

The music is nice to listen to, the hint button is easy to find and so is the SG. The Bonus game will be a special version of Hansl and Gretl, but you cannot start it before finishing the main game.

A 5 out of 5 game to me, without a doubt.

Enjoy!

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Dec 1, 11 1:23 AM
I agree with Everything that CasualGran just posted. She has articulated all perfectly. No more needed to say. Now just sit back and enjoy the journey.

Martyheinz
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,130 Posts

[Post New]by Martyheinz on Dec 1, 11 1:25 AM
I agree with CasualGran 100%. Blue Tea Games comes through again but I would expect no less from them. It will be a real pleasure completing this game.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Dec 1, 11 1:33 AM
Enchanted plot, beautiful graphics!!!

Casual said it all, only to add the length (according the SG):

8 chapters and a bonus chapter:

1) chapter 1 - 8 pages
2) chapter 2 - 5 pages
3) chapter 3 - 4 pages
4) chapter 4 - 3 pages
5) chapter 5 - 4 pages
6) chapter 6 - 6 pages
7) chapter 7 - 3 pages
8) chapter 8 - 3 pages - total 36 pages

Bonus chapter - 14 (!!!) pages

Total: 50 pages (the average)

There are 6 pages that explain the puzzles, which if we add them, the length is 56 pages (above average).

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 1, 11 1:36 AM
Based on the trial.

This is a superb game from Blue Tea Games. As they began doing with Macabre Mysteries-Curse of the Nightingale the game offers a widescreen option which makes the game so much more beautiful and playable. Just shows what can be done if the devs choose to improve and perfect their games. (Take note other devs--ERS, Elephant, etc--you're getting left behind)
And talk about perfecting the games--this beauty has it all. Aside from the gorgeous, clear, and detailed graphics the play itself is pleasingly smooth. There is a detailed and very helpful map, the strategy guide keeps your place, there are 3 modes of play so you can choose whatever level of difficulty suits you, and the hints are very clear.
The game also features parable gems to collect as well as 20 cursed (morphing) objects to find. The parables open the whole story of the snow queen and the cursed objects speed up the hint meter.
The Bonus Game is Hansel and Gretel which should prove very interesting, and other bonus content is available upon completion of the game.
Kudos to Blue Tea and BF for this excellent offering--an immediate and definite buy!

juleslorraine
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by juleslorraine on Dec 1, 11 1:49 AM
CasualGran wrote:Goodday fishies!

The newest Dark Parables as the TGT today! Great! As a lover of this series I've bought it right away, cause I just know I'm going to love every minute of playing it.

It's a FROG (fragmented object game), which means you'll have to search for fragments, to be combined when you've found them all to the objects required. I like a good FROG now and then, but that's strictly personal of course.

The graphics are beautiful, as we're used from these devs. Inbetween searching you will collect parable gems. When you've found them all, you have the whole story of The Rise of the Snowqueen.

There are voice-overs (!) and pretty well done. Also, you can choose an easy game mode, with all the handholding you could possibly need, but you can get less of that playing normal mode, and if you really want to explore on your own, you can click on the 'hard' button. So, every gamer can find his of her preference. Compliment to the devs!

The music is nice to listen to, the hint button is easy to find and so is the SG. The Bonus game will be a special version of Hansl and Gretl, but you cannot start it before finishing the main game.

A 5 out of 5 game to me, without a doubt.

Enjoy!

Thanks so much for your review Gran. Since you and I have pretty much the same taste in games and I trust your judgement, I'll go ahead and get this one too!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Dec 1, 11 1:53 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:Enchanted plot, beautiful graphics!!!

Casual said it all, only to add the length (according the SG):
8 chapters and a bonus chapter:
1) chapter 1 - 8 pages
2) chapter 2 - 5 pages
3) chapter 3 - 4 pages
4) chapter 4 - 3 pages
5) chapter 5 - 4 pages
6) chapter 6 - 6 pages
7) chapter 7 - 3 pages
8) chapter 8 - 3 pages - total 36 pages
Bonus chapter - 14 (!!!) pages
Total: 50 pages (the average)
There are 6 pages that explain the puzzles, which if we add them, the length is 56 pages (above average).

Thanks developers, thanks BF!
Thank you so much for this info
Thank you CasualGran for a succinct review as well.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Dec 1, 11 2:02 AM
This is an excellent game! I finished the demo in 45 mins and was disappointed when it ended. The graphics were beautiful. The gameplay easy enough and you had the strategy guide if you got stuck. I usually don't like **** scenes that are "pieces" of objects that get put together as one at the end of the **** scene, but this one wasn't bad. Most of them were rather big pieces and easier to find than usual. The minigames were challenging , but you had a skip button that came up fairly quickly, (but you have to forfeit your hint button for so many mins. if you use it). The music and voiceovers were good as well as the storyline. I would definitely rate this a 10 out of 10. But I have to wait for the SE, the CE is too expensive for me .....

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 1, 11 2:06 AM
As ever, Blue Tea have shown how a CE should be made. Stunningly beautiful graphics, well done voice-overs, lovely music, 3 choices of game mode and widescreen without having to adjust resolutions. Other devs should take note; this is how to gently persuade many hard-up players to part with their money in these tougher times!

It is of course a FROG, as are all the Dark Parables games; every collected item is in itself a treat to behold, never mind the visual feast of scenery. I just wanted to sit and admire it all, almost forgetting time was running out!

I played in normal mode; just enough hand holding without being led around but not leaving you wondering what to do next. And there is a map which shows places with something to do. Add to this some morphing objects to find, a well done strategy guide that remembers where you left it, gems to collect that make the Snow Queen story available to read and a bonus chapter about Hansel and Gretel. I can't think of anything else Blue Tea could have done to make this game any better than it is!

Needless to say it's a buy for me

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 1, 11 2:14 AM
Is it just with my version of the game or do others also experience no voices at odd times? Right at the beginning when I was briefed, I didn't hear the voice. The first voice I heard was from the guide.
Then, when the children spoke to me, the started by saying "help us", and then there was no more voice-over for the rest of what they said.

So has anyone else experienced this or is it just me?

Other than that, the first 2 chapters are open for the trial version. However, it took me 50 minutes to finish just the first chapter, and then stopped the game.

Very nicely done graphics and lovely scenery and animation.

ETA: Forgot to mention: The game fills out all of my widescreen monitor, as do all games from "Blue Tea Games".

There is a map, but can't be used to jump to different places.

There are 20 morphing objects to be found. Each one makes your HINT button recharge quicker, although it already recharges pretty quickly right at the beginning, as does the SKIP button.

Now, about the Hansel and Gretel bonus game - I could have sworn that I have heard about this particular bonus game from a previous CE by Blue Tea Games.
Is it my imagination or was there only talk about this game and its bonus game. I really thought that a previous CE already had Hansel and Gretel as the bonus game.

Edited on 12/01/2011 at 2:33:45 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 1, 11 2:16 AM
I Blue Tea games and think that their CE's are always well worth the money because of the quality of their games. The graphics are great and their attention to detail in even the smallest pieces of the objects makes them a pleasure to look at.

I tried the tutorial to make sure that the game worked and then couldn't hit the buy button fast enough after which I checked out the Strategy Guide to see what we got as the bonus content is still locked until the main game is played. On the index page I found the 8 chapters, cursed morphing object list (it didn't say how many but it won't be as many as EfR ) and bonus puzzles and we also get Hansel and Gretel as the bonus game so it all sounds good .

There are 3 modes of play ... Casual, Normal and Hard ... I really wish I was capable of doing all the puzzles that we find in games and then I could have played the Hard mode but alas there are always an odd one or two that I have to skip and so I had to opt for the sparkly Normal mode and, although I have only played for a very short time since purchase, I am finding them too helpful already. I am probably going to get shot down in flames by some people for even mentioning them but I do feel strongly about them.

To the devs: ... wouldn't it be easier to programme sparkles or no sparkles into the options menu at the start of the game?

On a side note you can touch the animals and birds that you come across on your journey and they run off or fly away as the case maybe so you get a bit of intereaction that way .

By the way I loved the opening music as the game was loading and I still have it playing softly in the background . I like the minimap which shows exactly where you are . Lastly I thought that the voiceovers were very well done

Had to rush the last bit DH getting as we are going out.

Cherb

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 1, 11 2:20 AM
Hi Valdy,
I think the Hansel and Gretel you're thinking about is in another game. I'll send you a PM.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 1, 11 2:25 AM
cbtx wrote:Hi Valdy,
I think the Hansel and Gretel you're thinking about is in another game. I'll send you a PM.

Aha... I thought there had been a bonus game called "Hansel and Gretel" before.

Thanks, cbtx.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Dec 1, 11 2:43 AM
I'm not sure how long I took to play the Sample, but I certainly enjoyed it. I was also pleased to note that the theme music has changed. Not a huge change, but enough so it wasn't "oh oh, here we go again", lol. In fact at one point, it reminded me of some of the music from the Harry Potter films! For me, that was a good thing, lol.

I freely admit that I had to use the SG a few times. I found it to be very well written, and I could wish that a certain new release (waited for all year) had one just as good.

I did have to skip a couple of minigames (after trying for several minutes to complete them (says she in her defense, lol), but I did manage to complete some others. The graphics are lovely, and it doesn't seem to matter if you do don't do things in a particular order

About the only thing I might complain about is that although I turned the music down in Options, it still seems to come up quite loud in the game I don't want to mute it though, as it is quite lovely. I am also intrigued how the people in Switzerland all sound American, lol

Possible Spoiler - highlight to read

I am getting the impression that a little bit of Beauty and the Beast has been brought into the story. I certainly had to laugh at what the Beast was wearing when he called out the frost wolf, lol. Lovely six pack

I am off to buy, now

Jen

[Post New]by ellariayn on Dec 1, 11 2:59 AM
Of all the HOGs I've played, and believe me that's a lot the Dark Parables remain my favourites in terms of storyline, graphics and overall brilliance. Snow Queen takes an old story makes it new and enjoyable. Though it's the third dark parable title I don't feel like the series is getting old, it's a great addition to the series. Not a second playing this game is wasted, I enjoy the way the story unfolds, the **** scenes are challenging but not impossible and I am so glad I spent the money to buy it. Easy 5 stars 10/10 etc.

oldbag60
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by oldbag60 on Dec 1, 11 3:16 AM
I'm a great fan of this series. Beautiful graphics, a good storyline for a woman who still loves fairy tales and as a hater of Hog's I find these easy to do without forever trying to find a hidden object. The puzzles are easy to start with and gradually get more interesting. And, because we rarely get any, I also love snow!!!! My only problem is when do I find time to do the washing up?

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Dec 1, 11 3:20 AM
Exquisite! That's what I feel when I'm playing this game, it's so beautiful.

I notice they have made the FROGs fewer and a little bigger, which I am grateful for, as in their last game this became a headache for me.

A very fine piece of work.

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Dec 1, 11 3:23 AM
Didn't love this game. The graphics were lovely of course, but the game itself was flat and rather unchallenging. For example, the objects that you put together in the FROG scenes were clearly labelled. Thus, no thinking was involved in where to use the inventory item (ie "shed medallion"). While I haven't finished the whole demo, it seems that the inventory items are used pretty close to where the inventory item was located. This further lessens the challenge of the game. On another note, I dislike when I get penalized for skipping a mini game (the hint button "locks" for 5 minutes), at least in the challenging level of play. Also, not sure whether this game is anything like Briar Rose. I bought that game and was disappointed because the scenes and play turned out to be repetitive (kept visiting the same places and FROG scenes). I couldn't tell this from playing the Briar Rose demo, but I would be cautious about this one.

Angel369
Lobster
Lobster
95 Posts

[Post New]by Angel369 on Dec 1, 11 4:06 AM
morning everyone...the rain's just stopped and now the sun's trying to come out..and even better this wonderful game is here.. it really is stunning and the graphics, as always with Blue Tea games, are beautiful...there's a guide built in which is accessible during the trial game and it looks to be a good length too..even more delights are the morphing objects and some other goodies to collect it seems ..you will not be disappointed if you enjoyed the previous games in this series from Blue Tea Games... ...it does make me wonder why I have no problems with this game which plays like a dream, whilst an offering last week caused me so many problems and still remains out of reach??
Hope everyone enjoys this game and Happy December to you all

Go to: