Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

Today's DD - 12-02-2011 - Comments & Reviews

[Post New]by Bpup on Dec 2, 11 12:09 AM
Figured I'd start this thread, since I'm still up - lol.

This is the first in the Millennium Secrets games. The second is Millennium Secrets: Roxanne's Necklace. There is supposedly a third game under development. The game is by Jet Dog Studios, who also created Sinister City and Annabel.

BFG has it listed as a H0 game, but I think that it's much more of an adventure game with H0 activities thrown in, because there aren't any junkpile H0 scenes; you usually have to collect XX number of a type of item before you are able to use it, but you are wandering around the various scene trying to find the items. It wasn't a FROG but it wasn't a standard HOG either; there's a strong storyline in which you have a definite goal, and there are people out to stop you from succeeding.

Don't let the old-school style graphics put you off, especially if you are used to the lush colors of Vogat and ERS. The spare style starts to grow on you after a while; it did on me and I normally stay away from this style of graphics because I (mistakenly) thought it would indicate a dull game. Not so.

I had originally played Millennium Secrets: Roxanne's Necklace first, which is a loose continuation of this main character's story. You can play one without the other, but there's a plot twist in the Necklace game that involves some character(s) that were introduced in this game, so I would advise playing this one first.

IMO, this is one of those games that you begin not knowing what to expect, and it slowly grows on you to the point that you're disappointed when it finally ends. From what I remember of the game, it was of a good length so there's a nice bit of gameplay.

For $2.99, this is a steal.

Edited on 12/02/2011 at 12:26:04 AM PST

sandebeach
Shark
Shark
10,388 Posts

Re:Today's DD - 12-02-2011 - Comments & Reviews

[Post New]by sandebeach on Dec 2, 11 6:34 AM
I agree with Bpup, bought this on sale along with the second game in this series. Glad I played this one first, because some of the characters are continued in the second game. Would love a third game, I am wondering if there will be a bit of a romance (I am all for it!) !

cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Dec 2, 11 8:34 AM
Brought this in Felixs sale and am waiting for this weekend to be able to play it with time to enjoy it. Nice to see it as the DD sor anybody who has missed it so far.
Cleo

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on Dec 2, 11 8:50 AM
Just finished the demo, and I, too, will buy it. At first I thought I wasn't going to like it because it reminded me of another game I had tried and just couldn't figure out, but on casual play this one is not difficult. Actually, it's quite easy, but that's okay. I play to have fun and not to raise my blood pressure.

I really like looking for specific objects to increase the hints. And I tried using one hint to find a hint object, thinking it wasn't going to work, but it did! The sparkles really give everything away, but you still have to check everywhere to see where the sparkles are. And even though it's easy, the story has sucked me in and I want to find out what happens. I'll probably end up using a punch card to get the next game in the series. Off to have more fun.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Dec 2, 11 11:51 AM
Here again, I'm in the minority. I didn't care for this game. Didn't like the graphics or when there were hidden objects, it was a junkpile.

Freka
Herring
Herring
304 Posts

[Post New]by Freka on Dec 2, 11 12:19 PM
My word! We do grow! When first I demoed this game (on a laptop), I put it on the "don't buy" list because it was an adventure game. Now, on my desktop, I was able to demo it again and found I actually like it and can play it. (Yes, I found adventure games impossible without the walkthrough.)

I'll admit, the games are pretty simple. The first one with the circuit boards, I just snapped them in any-old-where and the task was done!

The story looked interesting -- I like archeology, especially that of the Americas -- but I don't spend time on that when in demo mode. Now I will buy this as a DD.

This is not the first game I've changed opinions on the second trial. I know we aren't supposed to be able to do that, but it has turned "no" into "yes" several times and I expect it to do that again in the future.

jlanger78
Marlin
Marlin
9,474 Posts

[Post New]by jlanger78 on Dec 2, 11 3:03 PM
well I didn't like this game at all the movement of left and right on the screen etc got me dizzy.. I actually came in here to see if roxanne's necklace had the same game mechanics...

cbellcrm
Clownfish
Clownfish
818 Posts

[Post New]by cbellcrm on Dec 2, 11 10:46 PM
jlanger,

Yes, Roxanne's necklace has the same game mechanics. One difference is that when you zoom in on something after you get the last thing, it automatically zooms you back out.

I didn't like the turning around at first, but came to love it. In another adventure game you might have, say, twelve rooms going off in all directions, and it can be hard to find your way back to a given location. This game would have only three rooms, each with four views, for the same amount of game play. I found it much easier to navigate. Roxanne's Necklace has a map, but I never needed it. In most games I'm constantly checking the map. The 3D graphics and wrap around views make the game immersive. And you never miss a navigation arrow, which is my most common mistake. So the feature you didn't like is what I did like.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Dec 4, 11 6:34 AM
As stated in another string review...I absolutely love this game! However, I wonder why this woman investigates in a cocktail dress w/emeralds and spike heels. She did change later, but still had high heeled boots. Odd, but funny...LOL. Another thing...where on earth did she get the antidote? Blew me away at the end when she popped up with that! You'll love this game!

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on Dec 7, 11 5:06 PM
I have to say I really enjoyed this game.....just finished. And I'm looking forward to the sequel since it ended with "to be continued." It was a no pressure game with minimal to-ing and fro-ing, but there still was a lot of investigating to do. The cut scenes were very interesting and added a lot to the story. In fact, the story was a major factor in why I liked this game. The hints were very helpful. I didn't hesitate to use one when necessary because there were opportunities to earn more by finding specific objects. I think I ended the game with 15 hints. Some of the puzzles I couldn't figure out but.....that's what skip is for. I'm sure glad I picked up as a DD.

Go to: