bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Reviews for 9: The Dark Side Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Dec 4, 11 12:14 AM
Hi Fishies!

We’d love to hear what you think of 9: The Dark Side Collector's Edition; your reviews are very important to us and to other Fishies. And now you’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game right from the game page over Here!

For more information about our Game Reviews, please click here.

Once you’ve submitted your review, please feel free to come back and re-post your thoughts in this thread. Remember, a lot of people who will be reading these reviews haven’t played this game yet, so if you’re posting any spoilers, please be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you ended your game play, so that other players can get more out of this discussion !

For any other discussions or comments other than your general feedback on this game, feel free to go ahead and create a new discussion in the game forum. If you are experiencing technical issues, remember to check out the support thread Here.

Happy gaming!
bfgKenai

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

Re:Reviews for 9: The Dark Side Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Dec 4, 11 12:35 AM
Great H0G/Adventure game.
Stunning graphics, smooth gameplay, somewhat difficult puzzles, but the onboard SG would be helpful for those that are stuck. Achievements section so you can see what to strive to accomplish throughout the game.
Not much of a reviewer, but I wanted to atleast share a little.
Had beta-ed this game months ago and was anxiously waiting for the release...pleasant surprise to see it released and didn't even trial before installing.
I think most H0G/Adventurers will enjoy this game, and it of course has the dark/demonic/cult-ish/warlord/ghostly/bad guys that have taken everyone under their control. Setting appears to be back in Medieval Times which is kinda fun. Lots of swords, dragons, gauntlets, shields, etc to search for, and by the end you may be a little fed-up with seeking out yet another dragon in the H0G scene, but the graphics are so nice that you may not care (as I didn't).
So, it's up to YOU to rid the world of the evil-doers! Good Luck!

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Dec 4, 11 12:45 AM
Goodday fishies!

Play Favorite Games is a new developers name to me and that made me curious right away. Now that I've played the trial, I must say I'm pleased with the quality I've discovered. First there is the opportunity to choose full or wide screen, so no black bars in sight today!
Then there's the choice to play this CE in Easy, Advanced or Hard mode, so it pleases all kinds of players. Kudos devs! This will be greatly appreciated!
The story is of a wellknown adventurous kind, not anything we haven't seen before. But the graphics are crystal clear and it's not difficult to find out what to do next.
No morphing objects in this game, but you're given all kinds of honouring titles throughout the game, for example if you've finished a H0 scene without using hints or solved a minigame without skipping. Your earned trophies will be collected in a special screen to admire them later.

The music is fitting the atmosphere, but gets a bit repetitive. Oh well, you can't have it all, can you? I think these devs absolutely did well enough with this game, and there already has been one moment that made me jump up in my chair. So a certain aspect of excitement can also be expected, it seems.

Very playworthy CE today. I rate it:

5 out of 5

Enjoy!

Edited on 12/04/2011 at 12:51:06 AM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Dec 4, 11 12:46 AM
I have only played through the first hog scene, and stopped to buy. Story line, graphics, music, and voice overs are good, so far. Two puzzles have been fun for me. Both wide screen and full screen appeared to be ticked, and I had the black bars, until I clicked on wide screen, and then it filled my whole screen. I had not heard of this one but it looks like it is good. Forgot to check the SG to see how long it is, but then again, I would have bought it anyway

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Dec 4, 11 1:24 AM
I don't know about this one. It didn't seem to "grab" me. I kept waiting for the demo hour to be over. If I was too slow and used the whole hour for the demo, The gameplay was very confusing, or maybe it was just me and it's too early in the morning .( I started it at 3:15am. ) I kept going around in circles even with the strategy guide to help me. I don't think I got very far. I would have to say the graphic and the music were good. The minigames were hard but they had a quick skip button. The **** scenes were hard to decipher too. I would rate this a 6 out of 10.

Alpaca210
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by Alpaca210 on Dec 4, 11 1:32 AM
I totally agree with u sunidayz,iplayed the demo and didnt get very far either, wont be buying this one

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 4, 11 1:45 AM
Based on the trial.

An excellent surprise here---the widescreen option is available (both CEs this week!) which is an immediate indicator of the quality to come. Are the other devs (e.g. ERS) watching and learning? This developer is one I've not seen either, but after this one they are worth keeping a close watch on--Play Favorite Games.
And the game is indeed very high quality---excellent graphics, smooth mechanics, easy and clear hint system, 32 achievements to go for, SG keeps its place, voiceovers, and appropriate musical track.
As you play a sense of humor manifests itself which lightens the gloomy surroundings just enough--watch for the comments made as you stumble around trying various actions.
The game appears to be long enough. There is an achievement for less than 5 hours to complete. And the SG indicates 16 pages of bonus game, the longest section in the SG so probably good value there.
Lots of enjoyable puzzles and the hidden object scenes are challenging but not frustrating.
It's a buy for me---got to be careful with these CEs---if this kind of good quality keeps up it's going to hit my wallet awfully hard!
But I can't resist a game as well done as this (like the week's earlier CE)!

flowerchild44
Marlin
Marlin
8,348 Posts

[Post New]by flowerchild44 on Dec 4, 11 1:50 AM
yes, totally agree with sunnydayz,
its not a bad game, but didnt grab me at all,It has crisp clear graphics, and the mini games seem good.I found the story a little confusing, but then I am also tired.I think many fishies will find this a great game, and it certainly ticks a lot of boxes, but I think will wait for se.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Dec 4, 11 1:53 AM
Well, the plot didn't "grab" me, as sunidayz said (I don't like "knights in shiny armors" ), but the quality is very good, above average for a "starters developers!

I bought the game only for one reason: the onboard SG!!! Awesome, developers, you saved me a lot of headache, running from the SG to the game and vice versa!!! I looove it!

The length is above average. 4 chapters and a Bonus:

chapter 1 - 9 pages
chapter 2 - 12 pages
chapter 3 - 14 pages
chapter 4 - 11 pages - total 46 pages
Bonus chapter - 17 pages

Total 63 pages (above the 50 average).

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

Brially
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Brially on Dec 4, 11 2:10 AM
Good morning, fishies!

I must say this high-quality game was a very pleasant surprise! Play Favorite Games was a new developer to me, but the excellent graphics and overall feel remind me of many of the ERS games--yay!!

Here's a rundown of features:

Graphics: very clear and engaging
Difficulty: 3 modes of difficulty
Widescreen: Yes, option is available
Sparkles--3 difficulty levels--yes on Casual, slight on Advanced, NONE on hardcore
Journal--Yes, has separate tabs for Story and Objectives
Achievements: Yes, 32 different ones
Voiceovers: Yes--and very well done
Hints: Yes, very easy to understand
Strategy Guide: Remembers the page you were last on--FULL SG AVAILABLE!!
Music: Good, not annoying and didn't feel I had to adjust volume/ turn it down
Minigames: Interesting and challenging, but not too hard--unique, not same ol'!
Basic storyline--Set in Prague, 9 priests summoned evil into the world, and as a Descendant, it is your duty to contain the evil and save the kingdom. I love me some knights and castles!!

Bonus game: SG shows 16 pages, so should be a decent length

Overall length: This one seems like it is worthy of being a CE--since the FULL SG is available (YAY!), it seems to me there will be a good amount of gameplay

Comments:The graphics and storyline sucked me right in--I bought after 10 mins of demo! lol One of the neat things about this game is some of the comments are a tiny bit funny--which is nice after so many 'straight' games lately! I can't wait to play the rest!

Verdict: 5 / 5 The flowers are totally BLOOMING!! (hehe)

Edited on 12/04/2011 at 3:12:46 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 4, 11 2:43 AM
This game looks very good and I can't really say why it "didn't grab me" .

Graphics are beautiful.
A lot of mini games that are not too easy sometimes.
You have a special artifact that allows you to discover hidden clues in the scenes.
H0 are not too easy to spot and you interact which is a good thing.
You get all sorts of rewards for finishing a H0 using no hints, solving a mini game,etc.
Hint doesn't refill over quickly (always play easy mode during a demo).
Music fits the game but gets repetitive.
Voiceovers are good, at least for a non English ear.
And one more time you have to defeat evil forces.

So I'm not too sure about this game, may be too many mini games which tends to kill the action.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 4, 11 2:51 AM
A neighbour came round while I was playing and, as I didn't exit the game before answering the door and I really wanted to play more, I just had to buy it (well that is my excuse and I am sticking to it) . In reality there goes my new resolution to stop buying CE's before we even get to the end of this year .

There are 3 modes of play:

Casual ... Hints plus a short wait for the Skip Button.

Advanced ... Moderate Hints, a longer wait for the Skip Button and a Misclick Penalty. This is the mode I chose but I didn't misclick on purpose just in case not misclicking was one of the Achievements you can earn. In the short time I played I earned 2 so I only have 30 to go.

Hardcore ... LOL. It says "Not for the Fainthearted" hence me chosing the above option and there is a very long wait for the Skip button and no hints whatsover.

There are the usual options for Music, Effects and Cursor and even a Widescreen one this will delight a lot of people who are fed up of seeing black bars every time they play a game. There is also a Change Language option but when I clicked on it out of curiosity it only said English.

The graphics are beautifully crisp and and a pleasure to look at and I like the puzzles I have done so far. I did have a slight problem with the first puzzle in that when I tried to put a tile back on the bottom of the puzzle area because I didn't want to use it immediately I found myself back at the previous scene so the exit area is slightly sensitive.

I also noticed that the screenshot we are shown for the first hidden object scene had some different listed items to the scene I had to play in my game although the necessary item and the interactive item were of course the same. It is possible therefore that the item list is randomly generated which would make for more replayability otherwise I think the list could just be slightly different for each mode.

I loved the little comments that were made as I was playing as they made me and added to the enjoyment of the game

Lastly I would just like to say a big thank you to Play Favourite Games for allowing the full Strategy Guide to be available in the trial. It was seeing how long the game, and particuarly the bonus game, actually were that was the deciding factor in my making the purchase. Well done devs .

Cherb

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Dec 4, 11 2:54 AM
Brially wrote:Good morning, fishies!
I must say this high-quality game was a very peasant surprise! Play Favorite Games was a new developer to me, but the excellent graphics and overall feel remind me of many of the ERS games--yay!!
Strategy Guide: Remembers the page you were last on
Bonus game: SG shows 16 pages, so should be long enough
Overall length: This one seems like it is worthy of being a CE--I saw that one of the achievements is for completing the game in under 5 hours (if I remember correctly!)
Comments:The graphics and storyline sucked me right in--I bought after 10 mins of demo! lol One of the neat things about this game is it was funny--which is nice after so many 'straight' games lately! I can't wait to play the rest!
Please do not take offence, it reads
Gift of time - Granted for playing the game for more than 5 hours.
I cannot think what to make of that................

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Dec 4, 11 3:04 AM
What a beautiful game. My review is based on full demo only. I really like this game. The story is just different enough to really hold my interest. It has everything I'm looking for in a game:
Voiceovers
Widescreen
3 Modes of play
Good Story to hold my interest.
Great Graphics
Beautiful Colors and Clear.
Good puzzles
Good acting in voiceovers

The story is a little different then what we see all the time. I will wait to see how long the CE bonus is and if it add's to the game play. But this one is a good one. IMO Be sure to give it try for yourself. Thanks BF and Developers. Great Job!

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE"
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

Edited for (Cherb Hug) Great review and to you!

Edited on 12/04/2011 at 3:08:46 AM PST

Brially
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Brially on Dec 4, 11 3:08 AM
peglegann wrote:
I must say this high-quality game was a very peasant surprise! Play Favorite Games was a new developer to me, but the excellent graphics and overall feel remind me of many of the ERS games--yay!!
Bonus game: SG shows 16 pages, so should be long enough
Overall length: This one seems like it is worthy of being a CE--I saw that one of the achievements is for completing the game in under 5 hours (if I remember correctly!)
Comments:The graphics and storyline sucked me right in--I bought after 10 mins of demo! lol One of the neat things about this game is it was funny--which is nice after so many 'straight' games lately! I can't wait to play the rest!
Please do not take offence, it reads
Gift of time - Granted for playing the game for more than 5 hours.
I cannot think what to make of that................

No offense taken at all I just saw '5 hours' and I guess I just assumes--I think I saw some other fishies thought so, too. Hmm, I'm not sure what to make of that, either--though I have enjoyed the minigames so much that I think I'm going to get a good amount of gameplay, timewise at least I'll go edit that part out since we're not exactly sure about it--thanks for pointing that out!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 4, 11 3:12 AM

I must say this high-quality game was a very pleasant surprise! Play Favorite Games was a new developer to me, but the excellent graphics and overall feel remind me of many of the ERS games--yay!!

Sparkles--3 difficulty levels--yes on Casual, slight on Advanced, NONE on hardcore
Journal--Yes, has seperate tabs for Story and Objectives

Basic storyline--Set in Prague, 9 priests summoned evil into the world, and as a Descendant, it is your duty to contain the evil and save the kingdom. I love me some knights and castles!!

Bonus game: SG shows 16 pages, so should be a decent length

Comments:The graphics and storyline sucked me right in--I bought after 10 mins of demo! lol One of the neat things about this game is some of the comments are a tiny bit funny--which is nice after so many 'straight' games lately! I can't wait to play the rest!

Very glad that you like the game but I have to say that this game makes the ERS games look pale, archaic, and run-of-the-mill in comparison. (in my opinion) Their super-short bonus games, their lack of widescreen, and their sameness leaves them biting the dust of games like this.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Dec 4, 11 3:21 AM
I totally agree with all the great detailed reviews. This game is fantastic IMHO. Thanks to all for posting. I would only add at this point that ALL(wall papers, concept art, music score) the extras are available (except the bonus play of course) while you play the game. I know this is of interest to only some of us (me being one) but it is something those of who do care have been asking for! THANKS DEVS FOR LISTENING! It is much appreciated! Just as soon as I can justify the purchase of yet another CE after all the sales lately this is a Definite Buy for me. Kudos Play Favorite Games for this one, will be eagerly looking forward to your next release! Thanks for bringing us another great Sunday CE.
Happy Gaming All
BK

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Dec 4, 11 3:24 AM
I'm not sure about this one either. When I saw 'amulet' I sighed. Beautiful game, interesting puzzles. I'm with poutoule on this. Maybe too many puzzles. Agree with the comparison with ERS.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Dec 4, 11 3:49 AM
wow what a game, This is one of the best games so far the graphics was so awesome and the sounds, way to go DEV's you get 5 or more from me.. Thank you for all your hard work..plz keep up the hard work on your other games..Thx BF for this awesome game..I can't afford the CE, But i enjoyed the demo so much..Dev's and BF you Rock!!!

simisola
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by simisola on Dec 4, 11 4:43 AM
Wow! Escape from Ravenhearst, a new Dark Parables and now "9"! My Christmas decorating and shopping are in serious trouble I Beta tested this also and had it on my Must Buy list immediately. As a chronic hidden object/adv. gamer I'm always looking for a good game and this one was perfect. Ran well, all the options you'd need or want, great graphics. I gave it a 10 out of 10. My only question was as to the length, but if you go by the first chapter and you kind of can guess what number of chores you need to do it should be all around perfect. I do like the dark storylines, so that's no biggie for me, but I know some fishies are a bit tired of it, to each his own. Enjoy and thanks for all the worthwhile games lately, I love BFG!

Go to: