bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Reviews for SpiderMania Solitaire

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Dec 5, 11 12:26 AM
Hi Fishies!

We’d love to hear what you think of SpiderMania Solitaire; your reviews are very important to us and to other Fishies. And now you’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game right from the game page over Here!

For more information about our Game Reviews, please click here.

Once you’ve submitted your review, please feel free to come back and re-post your thoughts in this thread. Remember, a lot of people who will be reading these reviews haven’t played this game yet, so if you’re posting any spoilers, please be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you ended your game play, so that other players can get more out of this discussion !

For any other discussions or comments other than your general feedback on this game, feel free to go ahead and create a new discussion in the game forum. If you are experiencing technical issues, remember to check out the support thread here.

Happy gaming!
bfgKenai

Edited on 12/05/2011 at 12:27:23 AM PST

Teach496
Guppy
Guppy
109 Posts

Re:Reviews for SpiderMania Solitaire

[Post New]by Teach496 on Dec 5, 11 5:09 AM
Played 20 minutes and deleted the game. I like spider solitaire but not when it is timed and in broken English.

LadyBlue0321
Minnow
Minnow
217 Posts

[Post New]by LadyBlue0321 on Dec 5, 11 6:02 AM
I can't imagine why I'd pay when most computers come with MS Spider Solitaire (almost same game) for free? I played this for about 10 min. and deleted it.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 5, 11 6:07 AM
I own quite a few Solitaire games for my NDS, which I prefer to use when I play these card games. And I never play a game that doesn't come in untimed mode.

[Post New]by imberlyS on Dec 5, 11 6:56 AM
I love spider solitaire and have played a version that comes with microsoft. This game though feels "clunky". The sound effects and graphics are not pleasing. I don't like that the cards are faded that are out of play and I don't like the sparkle that appears to suggest a move. I would never buy this.

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Dec 5, 11 9:31 AM
Not very interesting. I have one that came with my computer that plays smoother. It told me I had failed when I wasn't even finished and had plays left. It didn't close down so I finished playing and won. Kinda stupid

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Dec 5, 11 7:43 PM
The game is by Anuman/Solilab and consists of one type of solitaire game, spider solitaire. You have the choice of Easy, Normal, and Hard modes. I demo'd the Normal mode, which uses a black and a red suit of cards. There was a timer which counted down during the game, but once the time ran out, nothing happened; I was still able to continue the game. Perhaps the timer comes into play in the Hard mode.

There was no music playing during the game, just sound effects like the cards dealing and a horn sounding when you lost the game (I never won a game so I heard that a lot). The game shows a sparkle on a card when it can be played, if you don't immediately make a move, and it will highlight which cards are playable.

I liked the fact that the deck used looked like a deck of cards that has been well-worn from playing. I hate computer card games that have cards with precisely square edges, bright colors, and which don't resemble a real deck of cards. Having said that, though, there are no real bells and whistles in this game to set it apart from other spider solitaire games - there's no story hook, no theme hook, nothing. If you want to just play the game without any distractions, you might like this game.

The English used in the game is a bit convoluted; that should have been run by a native English-speaker before the game was sent out into the world.

I actually liked this game, but I don't know that I would buy it because I already have several versions of spider solitaire game in the various solitaire game collections I currently have on my computer. When you compare how the Fairway solitaire games took the tri-peak solitaire game and made it into something unique to this game, this one definitely comes up short. But if all you want is a spider solitaire game, you might like to give this one a try.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Dec 5, 11 10:01 PM
Thanks for the detailed review, bpup. Well, I used a pcc on this game for my husband who said he liked it after he playing the demo. He doesn't really care about the bells and whistles, music ect. in a game. He likes spider solitaire, which he plays frequently, and this game is easier on the eye, ie. cards are bigger, and he says it is easier to see on his wide sceen monitor than the game that came on his pc . The game d/l-ed fine and gameplay is smooth on his pc. The graphics are clear. He doesn't care about the timer either which I think may not be working properly as it keeps timing out in less than the given minutes(I haven't actually timed it) but doesn't terminate the game or interfere with the game play. We can find nothing in the instructions regarding the timer or why it might behave this way. All in all he's enjoying it as we speak! If you like spider solitaire with good sized cards you might just give this one a try.
Happy Gaming All
BK

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 6, 11 4:45 AM
Because of Bpup's and BearKat's reviews I thought: what the heck, it's less than 7MB, and installed the game.

Yes, the old look of the cards is quite nice. I played in "Easy" mode, and yes, the timer went down and I was able to continue to play.

However, I had gotten rid of 4 decks, and then was stuck. I had no more cards left at the top to make up another deck, and I wasn't able to deal any more cards from the deck at the bottom. So I didn't know what else to do - except undo cards, but that wouldn't have given me any more cards I needed. So I exited and deleted the game. It would have been nice if a message had come up, telling me that I was stuck and whether I wanted to start a new game, but nothing happened. So no, this game isn't for me.
And yes, I do play "Fairway" quite often - now there is an exiting and fun card game.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Dec 6, 11 10:54 AM
I found that if you make all the moves possible on the piles, there's a pause and then a horn honks and a message pops up telling you that you're stuck. But you have to go out to the main menu to start a new game, rather than starting a new game from within the old game.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Dec 6, 11 10:57 AM
This game is okay, but I wouldn`t pay for such a game, because I have a similar game already on my pc (for free)

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 6, 11 11:48 AM
Bpup wrote:I found that if you make all the moves possible on the piles, there's a pause and then a horn honks and a message pops up telling you that you're stuck. But you have to go out to the main menu to start a new game, rather than starting a new game from within the old game.

Believe me, I did make all the possible moves. I had a whole row left with cards, but none that could be moved over to another deck, but there was no horn honking or even cows mooing or maids milking. LOL

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Dec 7, 11 9:47 PM
Valdy wrote:
Bpup wrote:I found that if you make all the moves possible on the piles, there's a pause and then a horn honks and a message pops up telling you that you're stuck. But you have to go out to the main menu to start a new game, rather than starting a new game from within the old game.

Believe me, I did make all the possible moves. I had a whole row left with cards, but none that could be moved over to another deck, but there was no horn honking or even cows mooing or maids milking. LOL

Roflol, Valdy, at the cows mooing and maids milking! But I think your game might have been glitchy, 'cuz the DH's pc is in the same room as mine and when he loses the first thing I hear is his sound of disqust and then the horn and message. But, like mtvoyager, who posted above, after the message goes away he has finished a game! Anyway, he likes the game because the cards are easier to see than the game which came on his pc. And as I posted above he doesn't care for all the bells and whistles, just likes to play the game. I'm Sorry you didn't like the game but thanks for the laugh, I needed one tonight .
BK

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Dec 10, 11 1:52 AM
Just some additional info re gameplay:

The game requires you to have at least one card in each top stack before you can get a new deal from the deck. BUT - if you manage to clear out a number of stacks and don't have enough cards in the remaining stacks to put at least one in the empty stack places, then the game will not give you a deal from the deck. I consider that to be a flaw in this game. You cannot lift a card from the already cleared stacks at the bottom of the screen to use as a fill-in. I suppose the only way to allow a deal would be to hit "undo" until you bring back up a cleared stack, and that is silly.

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Dec 19, 11 1:27 PM
Unfortunately a very poor game;-

The free Spider Solitaire game that comes with my PC is so much better because;-

1. Graphics - cards look bigger
2 You can change the colour and appearance of the cards and background
3. The fireworks at the end of the game are so much better then this one.

Its not good value for money, as I would be shopping around, trying to find a better one, if I didn't have this game.

I think in this day and age of business, I don't think there are many excuses for not looking at your competition, in finding out what other games are on the market. Especially when the Spider Solitaire game that came out years ago are better then this one!!!

Edited on 12/19/2011 at 1:27:57 PM PST

[Post New]by libbysal on Apr 21, 12 8:00 AM
I bought this game because I love Spider Solitaire but I can only complete a game on the easy level. I think it is stacked against the player to win a medium game. Has anyone ever won a medium level game ?

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 18, 14 10:15 AM
I had never heard of Spider Solitaire and still don't know what spiders have to do with the game because I haven't gotten to that point.

I played the "easy" game. I don't want to see the hard because I can't even win the easy. Not once.

I keep ending up with no plays but I can't get another row of cards. There are no hints given and that awful blatty horn doesn't even play. I don't like the horn noise but then at least I would know that I'd lost.

I just sit there and look at the cards and nothing happens. I can't ask for a hint.

So I start over and the same thing happens.

So this is a no-buy for me. I'm going to see if a Spider Solitaire came with my computer. I think I might like it. I did enjoy moving the cards around and trying to develop a strategy even if it never worked.

Thanks for all the reviews. They helped.

Go to: