bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Be a King: Golden Empire

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Dec 6, 11 12:30 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Be a King: Golden Empire? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond and you can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Be a King: Golden Empire page here.

Have questions about our new reviews section? Please check this forum post and our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread. Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Re:Reviews for Be a King: Golden Empire

[Post New]by Huntleyhimnher on Dec 6, 11 12:45 AM
Seems like a fun game, I have played most of the hour trial and it has just flown by, I have gotten gold trophies for most of the levels so to start out its not too hard. It is in the same line of games as royal envoy which I have played and enjoyed.

this is a buy for me, good game, thanks BF!!

dakini
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by dakini on Dec 6, 11 12:52 AM
Okay so I just played about 30 minutes of the game. And some of it is straight forward TM but I'm confused. I don't think there's enough tutorials with this or explination on this. Perhaps I get so caught up in building things that I don't read all the info all over the screen and there is a lot. Money, Timber, Stone, Helpers. Plus the side notes from the citizens and comments from your mentor and don't forget the goals for the level. And when symbols pop up on the screen what do they mean is that hire more or payment or what? Food over the farm is that buy supplies or here is your portion of the crop?

So I'm a bit frustrated. I can hardly wait to hear someone explain this because the towers and the people and the raids and the mages repelling raids is just fun. Maybe I should just play it in casual. There are 3 modes.

Is it a buy? I just don't know.

menora
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by menora on Dec 6, 11 1:51 AM
It does say in one of the tutorial windows that resources over a building will increase the output for that building. There is a lot of information but you don't have to do everything first time through. If this is like the other Be a King game you can replay getting a better game with each time through. It's a definite buy for me but I agree the tutorial is not as clear as in the original game.

athene72
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by athene72 on Dec 6, 11 2:28 AM
Finally a TM game - I like the be a King series so going to go ahead and buy this one. Hopefully it will make up for 2 months of HOG's

[Post New]by BlueSkyPinkCloud on Dec 6, 11 3:02 AM
I had the same problem as dakini. I Beta'd this game and left that as one of the comments. For someone who hasnt played any of the previous Be a King games the tutorial is not done well enough and uses up time that you are building to read it. Too frustrating to not be fully understanding the strategy of the game.

Edited on 12/06/2011 at 3:02:42 AM PST

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Dec 6, 11 3:34 AM
I was able to beta this game and I'm so glad to see it here I've been looking so forward to it. I bought it immediately. This is the third in the series and just as much fun as the others. You are sent to save the towns by rebuilding homes, farms, military, and stone mills. New in this series you have bonuses pop up over your buildings such as gold, food, shields, wood and stone that you should try and collect also there are three different mode's of play there is casual, normal and challenge mode. The graphics are nicely done the music is very fitting and it's just an all around fun game you do have trophies you can collect along the way and if you don't reach the gold the first time around you can always go back and replay the level. The menu is different where you purchase your goods and homes etc. I like the layout of this menu better than the other ones. It's not a click fest game and you do have side missions you can do if you want or if you have the gold or knights to do so but it's not required that you do them. I'm really enjoying the game so far and I think this is the best one of the series and I hope there will be more of this series made it's a fun and challenging game for all give it a try I don't think you'll be disappointed. Thank you Big Fish and dev's for another wonderful edition to this
series !

Edited on 12/06/2011 at 4:18:26 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 6, 11 3:37 AM
The symbols that pop up on the buildings, ie food, shield, wood plank etc are random bonuses and should be collected it did say so somewhere. What I found more often than enough was that in my haste to grab them while they were available I opened the updating window for the building instead so you have to be accurate and make sure that you actually click them and not the building.

Well I bought the first game in this series and thoroughly enjoyed it but when I purchased the second I found that I couldn't complete the last few levels because I just couldn't build and sell the houses fast enough to get enough money to do what I needed to to complete the level.

With this third game I have found the cursor to be slightly sluggish and it has made it even harder for me to play and my bad wrist is aching with trying to move the mouse as fast as I can. There is no option to change to a system cursor.

There are 30 levels including the tutorial ones (unless there are some over the map page as previously) and 3 modes of play: Casual, Normal and Challenge and I opted for the Casual one thinking it would be the easiest .

In the 40 minutes I played I managed gold on the first 2 tutorial levels and then 4 passes. On the 7th level I went deeply into debt which was when I changed my strategy and restarted another couple of times but I still couldn't build and sell fast enough to make any headway and so I have decided that playing this game with arthritic hands just isn't possible which is a crying shame as I love these games.

Have fun everyone .

Cherb

Janette5
Clownfish
Clownfish
518 Posts

[Post New]by Janette5 on Dec 6, 11 5:23 AM
Thanks for the reviews everyone.

I've played for 40 minutes and have gotten to level 12 - there are only 30 levels - so I'm assuming it is going to take about 2 hours to play through the entire game and there's not a lot of replaying challenge - i.e. replaying would just be for fun.

So although I enjoy this game, I'm hesistant to purchase an approx. 2 hour long game. Anyone finished it? Does the later levels become longer?

Thanks

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Dec 6, 11 7:41 AM
I'm relatively new to this type of games and compared to HOG's and Match-3's I have relatively few of these games. I'm really picky as I dislike any type of game where you have to engage in frenzied clicking-fortunately you don't have to worry about that in this game-or at least not in the hour I played. I don't recall playing the first two games in the series so I cannot compare. The graphics were decent. It filled widescreen. I'm not sure I really care for how the game is organized-there's so much you have to pay attention to-the top of the screen-tracks most of your resources, the left hand side of your screen-messages in the form of scrolls, and the bottom of your screen-your progress on the level and your mentor. It was a good thing that the goal in the levels I played didn't include any gold as I found myself operating at a loss. All in all it was just way too much for me to keep track of and that's really why I won't consider purchasing the game as I really don't have any other complaints as the game downloaded and ran fine on my computer.

Achak
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by Achak on Dec 6, 11 8:36 AM
Downloaded but won't open.. Access violation....

AriadneSP
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by AriadneSP on Dec 6, 11 9:06 AM
It's a real shame that this is a no buy for me.

but ONLY because of the length of the game.

I've completed 10 levels, all on gold, in 24 minutes. I've still got 36 minutes of my trial hour left, but I've completed 32% of the game.

A game that's only 2 hours long isn't worth spending a credit on.

I'm gutted because yesterday's Coffee Rush 3 (which has the same irritating factor of "serve everyone except the last one or two then play as long as you can while keeping them happy by feeding them cookies" which has been the same for both coffee rush 1 & 2, but these are the ONLY two non HOG games released in ages..

I've got 4 credits burning a hole in my pocket and I'm not a HOG player :/

[Post New]by silenita2000 on Dec 6, 11 10:28 AM
Janette unfortunately not only it does not get better it gets even worse. Goodies are popping for seconds and you just get frustrated trying to grab them and not open the building window. If you do by the time you close it the goodies are gone.
I liked very much the Be a King 2 but I was greatly dissapointed with this one. Not only it seems you pay a regular price for buying a demo but they also managed to change a clean strategy game into a confusing TM game.

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Dec 6, 11 11:15 AM
I played for the full hour and for the most part I enjoyed it a lot. I got all gold trophies for every level except one, However, on the last level I played, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get my population up. I guess I needed more defense against raiders. Anyway, I won't buy this game though I did enjoy it. It's nice that once in a while there's something besides HOG games which I'm getting sorely sick of.

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Dec 6, 11 12:42 PM
I enjoyed the first two but this is a no buy for me as well.

The main reason is having the menu for buying stuff covering the screen so I lose track of what I am doing - the other two were way better in that regard as they were at the bottom of the page.

NZBloke
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by NZBloke on Dec 6, 11 2:53 PM
Good looking game and fun, but I probably won't buy. Too short and the only thing other than graphics I have seen different is the bonus's you click on. So I might save my money and go back to the early versions I have bought. They need to make some changes.

gmmace
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by gmmace on Dec 6, 11 5:24 PM
Finished the game today with gold on all levels. Not nearly as long as MKFTP or Royal Envoy. Would prefer it if the pop up info boxes were off to the side because they can keep you from seeing when bonus items come up and you only have a few seconds to collect those. I bought Royal Envoy 2 quite a while ago and played it for several days, so this is quite short in comparison, I probably had 5-6 hours gameplay total. But I've been getting burned out on HOGs so this was a fun play for a few hours.

NZBloke
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by NZBloke on Dec 6, 11 10:55 PM
I have ended up buying it with a credit for my mac laptop. Bit of fun on the road.

rumtmtiger
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by rumtmtiger on Dec 7, 11 8:29 AM
Very disappointed. I was looking forward to this since I liked BAK1 and BAK2 but this is not as good. First, it is too short. Second, the cursor is slow. Third, Fourth, etc., popup menus, no strategy, just get things done fast, no planning. What can I say? I bought it before trying it since I liked the first 2 and now I am really sorry.

[Post New]by raynestormrn on Dec 7, 11 9:49 AM
only a short while into it so far, but don't like the game play. i liked the first two.

mostly i don't like the "interface" on this one, having to click the "town hall" to purchase workers, materials, heroes, etc. i don't like how the menu for building covers everything, and how you have to close it to recheck your goals, or how you have to click the tab to the left side to check where your "maxes" are (i.e max population, max food, max safety, etc). Not as good an interface.

i'm thinking this is a no go for me, but i still have a while to go. i liked the first two, but this one so far is bleck.

update:

played quite a bit more. Uninstalled it. Not for me. It's SIMILAR to the first two, but i don't like the game play and the changes they made. If the next installment is more like the first two, i might buy

Edited on 12/11/2011 at 8:39:16 AM PST

Go to: