bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Reviews for Fear for Sale: Sunnyvale Story Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Dec 8, 11 12:20 AM
Hi Fishies!

We’d love to hear what you think of Fear for Sale: Sunnyvale Story Collector's Edition; your reviews are very important to us and to other Fishies. And now you’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game right from the Fear for Sale: Sunnyvale Story Collector's Edition over Here!

For more information about our Game Reviews, please click here.

Once you’ve submitted your review, please feel free to come back and re-post your thoughts in this thread. Remember, a lot of people who will be reading these reviews haven’t played this game yet, so if you’re posting any spoilers, please be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you ended your game play, so that other players can get more out of this discussion !

If you are experiencing technical issues with this game, remember to check out the support thread for this game here.
**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!
bfgKenai

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

Re:Reviews for Fear for Sale: Sunnyvale Story Collector's Edition

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Dec 8, 11 12:50 AM
I bought this! The game fills up my seventeen inch monitor, the voiceovers are good, the music is non-intrusive, and frankly is just nice for the fact that it isn't the replayed tracks that some of the other gamemakers don't bother changing, so I liked the differentness of it, the game so far has a nice premise, and it looks to be a good one. The HOG scenes are nice and big, and the objects not too hard to find....

Can't wait to find out what happens!

There are no objectives so far that i can see. And the extra's are all locked up....

The landscape of the game I thought was nice and bright enought to see what you were doing while still maintaining the creepy factor.

Hope this helps.

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Dec 8, 11 1:03 AM
There are options for regular and advanced, full screen and wide screen and custom cursor. I had the music on in the background but after awhile didn't even really hear it.

Voice overs were pretty decent except for one guy who sounded like he was using one of the voice disguisers.The story is a bit different. This time a crazy kidnapping house. The strategy guide only shows the first two chapters with a total of 11 pages.

This is a sample demo not an hour long demo. I finished the demo in about 50 minutes but admittedly kept checking SG to see where I was so I might not have completed the sample in the hour time otherwise.

Graphics are ok. Played about 5 or 6 HOG scenes I think. Most of the places a couple of times but different objects when you went back. A few interactive moments in the HOG scenes. A bit of a pet peeve of mine though the first items found were back when I went the second time. Depending on length I will probably get this after Christmas.. too broke until then.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Dec 8, 11 1:06 AM
Goodday fishies!

After Fear for Sale: The Mystery of McInroy Mansion which I gave 4 out of 5 stars, this new game seems a worthy second, maybe even a better one. It fills my monitor right away, which is a good thing, and it has well done voice-overs, another plus in my book.
The story around a mysterious appearing and disappearing house that's also able to abduct people, is intriguing enough to make you want to find out more.
The graphics are OK, although they're somewhat grainy. The first H0 scene wasn't a junkpile and objects fit the environment. Some objects need you to interact, but nothing too difficult. In fact, I find this game rather easy. Maybe it's a bit more challenging when I start over in expert mode without the handholding.

It's a good game, as far as I can see from the demo. Now to make up my mind if I should pay the CE price for it.

Have a nice Thursday!

CasualGran

Edited on 12/08/2011 at 1:07:08 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Dec 8, 11 1:18 AM
govols2 wrote:There are options for regular and advanced, full screen and wide screen and custom cursor. I had the music on in the background but after awhile didn't even really hear it.

Voice overs were pretty decent except for one guy who sounded like he was using one of the voice disguisers.The story is a bit different. This time a crazy kidnapping house. The strategy guide only shows the first two chapters with a total of 11 pages.

This is a sample demo not an hour long demo. I finished the demo in about 50 minutes but admittedly kept checking SG to see where I was so I might not have completed the sample in the hour time otherwise.

Graphics are ok. Played about 5 or 6 HOG scenes I think. Most of the places a couple of times but different objects when you went back. A few interactive moments in the HOG scenes. A bit of a pet peeve of mine though the first items found were back when I went the second time. Depending on length I will probably get this after Christmas.. too broke until then.

Thanks, govols! I too have this same pet peeve of finding cleared objects back in the same scene if it needs to be revisited,

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Dec 8, 11 1:34 AM
Developer: Elefun (not Elephant...) Previous games: Fear for Sale: Mystery of Mclnroy manor.

Stunning graphics! You are shown that a mystery and creepy game doesn't have to occur during night. I really enjoy that...
Intriguing plot, which keeps your interest and curiousity. Hints recharge fast, and there is help out of the HOSes, by pointing arrows (great plus, devs!).

The game has 6 chapters and a Bonus chapter:

chapter 1 - 6 pages
chapter 2 - 5 pages
chapter 3 - 6 pages
chapter 4 - 5 pages
chapter 5 - 5 pages
chapter 6 - 8 pages; total 35 pages.
bonus chapter - 10 pages

Total 45 pages (for compare, measure how much time you played the first chapter).

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Dec 8, 11 2:25 AM
I also liked this game. Game started in daylight which was a nice change, art was great and game started off creepy which I love. Storyline keeping my interest.

Hogs were easy to see. SG available in game and kept your place. I have the first game but will have to replay it, I dont remember it at all. Game opened in full screen for my 24in. monitor.

On my way to purchase.

Happy gaming

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Dec 8, 11 3:36 AM
Great game! Really liked this one. Graphics were great and the gameplay was fairly easy enough to follow. Music , a bit monotonous. But the **** scenes were challenging enough and so were the minigames. I would rate this a 9 out of 10.

Brially
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by Brially on Dec 8, 11 3:36 AM
Good morning, fishies!

BFG is planning to break my bank this month--I totally wasn't going to get another CE, but this one just grabbed me right away!! The eerie ambiance, great voice work and clear, bright HOS really did it for me.

One thing I LOVED was that you were able to use some objects in the same or very next scene--you don't have to lug around a full inventory that won't be needed for 15 more locations.

Here's a rundown of features:

Developer: Elephun (or Elefun?? forget sp?

Graphics: very clear and detailed--lovely, creepy atmosphere
Difficulty: 2 modes of difficulty: Regular and Expert
Widescreen: Yes, both WIDESCREEN and FULLSCREEN are checkable under options, mine were checked by default when I started game
Sparkles--Yes on regular, none that I saw on expert
Journal--Yes, includes additional information you don't get from just dialogue--HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU REFERENCE IT OFTEN!
Achievements: No
Voiceover: Yes--and very well done
Hints: Good
Strategy Guide: Remembers the page you were last on
Music: Good--added a lot to the good sound effects and atmosphere

Bonus game: SG shows it being long enough

Overall length: Many other reviewers have commented in depth, so I'll just say it looks CE-worthy in length

Comments: The graphics and storyline sucked me right in--I bought after 15 mins of demo! lol Once I saw the conflict between the mean mayor and the sheriff who wants to disclose the secret, I wanted in!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I am!

Verdict: 5 / 5 The flowers are totally BLOOMING!!

Edited on 12/08/2011 at 3:48:37 AM PST

indybabs
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by indybabs on Dec 8, 11 3:45 AM
May I ask, is there a map?

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Dec 8, 11 3:47 AM
I like almost everything about this game. I am enjoying the storyline and find that I actually want to see how it ends. The graphics are IMHO great. H0s are not too difficult to find (I play in Reg. mode) and I like the interaction of combining objects in the scene to match the object needed in the list. There are two modes of play, Regular:hints & skips recharge quicker, sparkles on active zones- and- Expert: hints & skips take longer to recharge and no sparkles. The music is theme appropriate IMHO and I don't find it intrusive and have not wanted to turn it off at all. I like the voiceovers and I find them pretty well done. There are sliders for music, sound and voice volume. Buttons for full and widescreen and custom or system cursor. The cursor(which morphs into a hand, magnifing glass, etc.) is a little big but not overly so to me and it has behaved beautifully. The SG seems very adequate so far but I have done little more than just open it to see how it works. It has both screen shots and directions. I did not think to see if it holds your place in the game, sorry. The hint system works outside the H0 scenes and I really like that. It recharges in about one minute. Is it worth the price of a CE? Well, all I can say is that it IS to me.
The one thing I DON'T LIKE is the fact that the extras(wallpapers, screen savers,musical score and concept art) are not available during the time I am playing the game. I totally understand keeping the bonus play under lock and key, but, I like to enjoy these things WHILE I am playing the game. It adds to the total feel for the game. This is, however a personal preference and while annoying did not keep me from purchasing the game. Just lessens my overall enjoyment of it.
Happy Gaming All
BK
Also for those fishies who don't like them there are creepy crawlies:snakes,spiders and I'm sorry don't remember about rats and mice. Will update this post after I have been back into the game later today.

ETA-- After playing the game for another hour tonight, I have not seen any rats or mice. Truthfully can't remember about the first hour or so. Anyone else?
ETA--Changed some phraseology to avoid possible mis-understandings!

Edited on 12/08/2011 at 10:40:00 PM PST

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Dec 8, 11 4:00 AM
indybabs wrote:May I ask, is there a map?

Sorry, no map.

indybabs
Guppy
Guppy
112 Posts

[Post New]by indybabs on Dec 8, 11 4:01 AM
ty

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Dec 8, 11 4:02 AM
YAY...Loved the first FFS, these developers know how to make a great game, so I am looking forward to playing this !!

Sooooo HAPPY it is in widescreen, thanks a bunch, that makes all of the difference in the world, to be able to really get into the game .
Can't wait to see the fear factor, plus in the first game, there was a LOT of interaction, in the game, which really bumped up the FUN in the game play.
And with a title like, Fear For Sale, you expect to get goose bumps, and maybe even a few heart palpitations, so this is just my type of game, and if it is fear there selling, I am buying .
Will add more after the demo, WOO HOO....off to play, happy gaming everyone
If you haven't tried the first FFS, I would suggest trying it, it was a FANTASTIC game, with a nice long length also, so worth the money.
:-)

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Dec 8, 11 4:24 AM
I love this game so far. My review is based on demo so far. I think the graphics and animations are absolutely fantastic! The voiceover's acting is middle of the road acting.

It has everything I look for in game: Widescreen/Voiceover's/2 modes of play/Cursor options/Sound option are separate for music/voice/effects/Journel had very large print, so it's easy to read. The objects are large enough to find and see. The story has the same ghostly/haunting/disappearing people, we see alot in the games lately.

But the beauty of the game and the overall play is enough for me to buy it. This one is a good one. and developers have been giving us some good games lately. Thank you! But please change up the story line some developers. We could really use some Sci-fi or other kind's of story lines other than the same old one's.
This game is a definite buy for me. Be sure to give it a try, it's worth your time. IMO

I rate this game:FINE SWINE:
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Dec 8, 11 4:24 AM
Sorry but I don't share in the enthusiasm of the previous posts. I am getting so tired of having to be led by the hint system in the process of toing and frowing between scenes. No need for the SG. It seems the developers have found a way to stretch a game to the enth degree in order to sell it as a CE. In the process their creativity has been lost in terms of providing us with a great challenges.

The focus today seems to be on the graphics. I love the graphics but would like a mix. Reminds me so much of the early years with Nintendo. The first games were the most challenging and difficult. I became addicted and spent hours trying to master the timing of a certain move in order to move forward to the next.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Dec 8, 11 5:11 AM
tuttepeever wrote:Sorry but I don't share in the enthusiasm of the previous posts. I am getting so tired of having to be led by the hint system in the process of toing and frowing between scenes. No need for the SG. It seems the developers have found a way to stretch a game to the enth degree in order to sell it as a CE. In the process their creativity has been lost in terms of providing us with a great challenges.

The focus today seems to be on the graphics. I love the graphics but would like a mix. Reminds me so much of the early years with Nintendo. The first games were the most challenging and difficult. I became addicted and spent hours trying to master the timing of a certain move in order to move forward to the next.

I have to agree with you here. I've bought the game, but I'm sure having second thoughts now. Indeed, this is an easy game, I've already mentioned that, and it ennoys me too that the only reason having to run around is finding stuff to use somewhere else. Makes you play longer, indeed, but I can't call that 'playing' It's just a clickfest I have to go through.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Dec 8, 11 5:48 AM
i enjoyed the first Fear For Sale so was happy to see this edition come out. Unfortunately for some reason I couldn't find a flow to this game while playing the trial.

This offers 2 modes. Casual is strictly for beginners in my opinion. It even gives sparkles to help you through the hidden object scenes. I never cared for games that tie ribbons to things to let you know there is something there to do.

It had great voice overs and good graphics. I liked the hidden object scenes which were interactive. The mini puzzles so far were on the easier side.

Since there have been so many good CE's lately that I haven't been able to play all of them I am going to put this on my list to wait for SE.

I think it's a good game but just didn't grab me

Happy Holidays Fishies!!!!

I also agree with tuttepeever on the SG. If the hint gives you all the clues you need why have a guide? BECAUSE they can then charge us the CE price!!!

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Dec 8, 11 5:49 AM
Credit where credit's due. I enjoyed the plot here. A man who 30 years ago was wrongly accused and executed for murdering his wife is exacting revenge by sending his haunted house through time to kidnap people! A body is discovered by the town well which is identical to the corpse from decades previously! The creepy house turns up and kidnaps people with sentient vines! The mayor is suspicious! Those aren't real spoilers: that's the first five minutes! If developers are going to insist on making silly, almost childish horror with every game then they may as well go the whole hog and go for properly goofy! Kudos.

The graphics look nice and the puzzles are more challenging than usual, though it's the usual stupid door locks and fixing stuff. I'm starting to wonder if these towns aren't just pretending to be haunted so I'll come and open their stupid doors and do all their odd jobs for them.

A few tasks require more than one click which I think is trying to increase immersion but fails. The result is that even simple things can seem drawn out.

The writing is, as usual, terrible, and completely lets down the fun story. Dialogue (and the journal) is overwritten and clumsy. Newspaper reports and letters are just lying around with no rhyme or reason, and are written with no thought for style and tone. The newspaper report actually begins "This morning, June 7th 1981". NO NEWSPAPER REPORT IN THE HISTORY OF THE WORLD HAS BEGUN LIKE THAT, DEVELOPERS!!! The date is at the top, that's how newspapers work! Why would a reporter repeat it in the first sentence? I know this sounds like I'm being silly but it's not the mistake that matters, it's that fact that it means you've spent the minimum time possible thinking about how to present your story to me. Later on, a letter reads "You remember Alice right? Well she's been... kidnapped and murdered!" No-one uses "..." to try and create suspense in a serious letter! It's ridiculous.

The voice actors were.... I'm going to say "valiant". No actor, no matter how accomplished, could make the sheriff's line where he had to say "the crime" twice in the space of a single sentence sound good. This is basic writing technique, developers! I bet that poor actor was the first person who ever had to read that sentence out loud to see how it sounds.

Developers: I will not buy any of your games if you don't a) think about your prose and dialogue and b) hire a proper translator. It's as simple as that. No competent writing, no cash!

Edited on 12/08/2011 at 5:57:51 AM PST

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Dec 8, 11 5:56 AM
Just an aside to the above. (I can't edit it, I waffled on so much I broke the character limit!). It occurs to me that maybe the bad writing in the letter was supposed to be a joke and that I've missed the point. I have difficulty telling what's supposed to be funny in these games, because basically it's all nonsense even when it's serious and there's usually no firm sense of tone.

But here's what I would say, if any developers are reading, and if it was supposed to be a joke.

I'm all for goofiness and parody. Self-reference too, although you have to be careful (If you know something about your game is stupid then why just point it out. Why not fix it?)

But deliberately bad writing as a joke only works if you've previously demonstrated you can write well. If I trust that someone has a good command of language, then it's obvious that any future "mistakes" are deliberate. Maybe that's not what's happening here, I genuinely can't tell. But it definitely was the case in yesterday's game with the "parody" of a mystery thriller and it fell flat there, too.

Get the basics right before trying the fancy stuff, developers. And hire actual writers!!

Go to: