textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Comments for Fear for Sale: Sunnyvale Story Collector's Edition

[Post New]by textrekkie on Dec 8, 11 6:02 AM
A place for your comments about the game.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

Re:Comments for Fear for Sale: Sunnyvale Story Collector's Edition

[Post New]by hannah57 on Dec 8, 11 6:47 AM
I played the demo and it's chalked full of hidden object scenes and it has a statagy guide BUT it isn't much different from any other hog. Sorry BF but I can't see spending $14.00 on this game.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Dec 8, 11 6:49 AM
I remember absolutely loving the first Fear for Sale game - The Mystery of McInroy Manor, so I suspected right away that the story and graphics would interest me in this newest offering.

When I say 'aw shucks' to see a demo end, that's a pretty good indication that I will like a game. As previously mentioned in the reviews thread, you are given clues at the beginning of a murder mystery that so-and-so must be responsible. But after playing for 2 hours now, it seems that the plot thickens, and others might be involved as well. The story is intriguing enough to garner a purchase from me.

I'm enjoying the ride so far. The puzzles are just easy enough for me, and the h.o. scene objects are mostly easy enough to find. The graphics have a hand drawn 'ERS game' feel to them. I have enough challenging large file adventure games when I want extreme challenge. I play these games for enjoyment and do not feel cheated if a game isn't so hard that it has me pulling my hair out.

I don't mind grammatical errors, as has been mentioned elsewhere in this forum. I understand how difficult the English language can be for those from another country, as English was not my mother's native tongue. So I won't criticize the developers for that. I can enjoy a story in spite of that, and this story is enjoyable. I hope everyone will try the demo for themselves and give the game a chance before they make their decision.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 8, 11 7:11 AM
I never cared for the first Fear For Sale game, although it got good reviews. We only got 1 CE a month back then, and I always wait for the SE and it was one of the few SEs I never bought and I bought all of them when there were only 4 a month. That doesn't make much sense rereading it but I don't know how to explain it. My dl just got done so I will go into it with an open mind, a lot of times a sequel is better.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Dec 8, 11 12:34 PM
Hmmmm...... "FEAR FOR SALE"!?:

Hey, I'll show you some FEAR FOR FREE... just pick up the newspaper, turn on the news... haha. I'll throw in a little anxiety and doubt and how about some skepticism to boot?

Seriously, I'll be checking out the demo, but I'm a bit saturated with the doom and gloom games for now.... I need something seriously uplifting right about now , whoa is me >

PS: I truly enjoyed the first FFS, so I'm not dissing it.

EDIT: Actually, YAY! after checking out demo, this is a good game with a little bit of spooky thrill, entertainment and fun all wrapped up together!

Edited on 12/08/2011 at 5:45:13 PM PST

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 8, 11 1:06 PM
I've just watched the video so I thought this thread should be where I post since I haven't, yet, played the trial. As soon as the video started, without seeing much of anything, I was immediately drawn to the music. I loved it! It might be better turned down just a bit but I thought it was beautiful. It's classical and I loved the violins. What is shown in the video looks interesting and, if it's any indication, there may be no occult themes-at least I hope not. Since videos don't "tell" the whole story, I'll have to wait until after I've played the trial before I decide whether this is one I will buy. However, based just on the music , it's a winner in that regard.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Dec 8, 11 3:03 PM
I just want to scream, so I will do it in here where I don't care if people get upset with me, as opposed to here in my house where my hubs is trying to peacefully read a book and might snarl at me. There was someone in the reviews who was nitpicking the text and phrasing in a newspaper article in the game... Oh, pleeeeze quit it with the nitpicking... It isn't a classic novel, it's a newspaper article in a game. Jeez. Thank you all for your patience while I briefly blew a gasket... Rant over.

[Post New]by nancydrewfan24 on Dec 8, 11 3:12 PM
I did the demo online. Scared me to Death. Does anybody know how many of these they plan to make? I love this series.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Dec 8, 11 3:20 PM
Hello Nancydrewfan. I imagine that it will be dependent on how well this game does "at the box office". If it sells well, I would foresee another game in the series, if it doesn't, I imagine they will move on. So, encourage your friends to buy - this will increase your chances of seeing a third in the series. I am with you, I like the series so far.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Dec 8, 11 5:22 PM
shadowfax44 wrote:I just want to scream, so I will do it in here where I don't care if people get upset with me, as opposed to here in my house where my hubs is trying to peacefully read a book and might snarl at me. There was someone in the reviews who was nitpicking the text and phrasing in a newspaper article in the game... Oh, pleeeeze quit it with the nitpicking... It isn't a classic novel, it's a newspaper article in a game. Jeez. Thank you all for your patience while I briefly blew a gasket... Rant over.

LOL. I blew a gasket earlier when I read it. I'm in total agreement with you shadow, it's just a game for crying out loud.......just a game.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Dec 8, 11 5:40 PM
mhatfie wrote:
shadowfax44 wrote:I just want to scream, so I will do it in here where I don't care if people get upset with me, as opposed to here in my house where my hubs is trying to peacefully read a book and might snarl at me. There was someone in the reviews who was nitpicking the text and phrasing in a newspaper article in the game... Oh, pleeeeze quit it with the nitpicking... It isn't a classic novel, it's a newspaper article in a game. Jeez. Thank you all for your patience while I briefly blew a gasket... Rant over.

LOL. I blew a gasket earlier when I read it. I'm in total agreement with you shadow, it's just a game for crying out loud.......just a game.

LOL, I agree. I have to laugh at the people that get all bent out of shape over things in a game We have enough politically correctness in our daily lives...more than enough, IMHO...and I find the dialogues, and the fractured English hilarious. This isn't rocket science, but I couldn't, and wouldn't, create a game to save my life. i honestly think that some of the devs are playing with us when I see some of the things that some complain so vociferously about<grin> I guess some of us take our fun where ever we find it

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Dec 8, 11 10:49 PM
I think sometimes we are spoiled, these are games that bring entertainment into our homes that otherwise we wouldnt have. I often wonder how much time and work goes in to making one. I enjoy hidden object games and they continue to get better. To some people it's just never enough, not good enough, and flaws seem to be magnified. You can only have one thought at a time, if your thankful you cannot be negative. Reviews for games are great, I do read them, however when I first started playing, I actualy didnt buy a game because of the negative review. Come to find out, the game was terrific, the person was negative. Back to this game. I am enjoying it. I am not fond of fairytale type games, but the darker side, spooky ones, I like. This one got my attention right off the bat, and I enjoy wandering all over looking for items. This one in particular I am able to play without running to the SG, so far. The last MCF game was way to hard for me and took some pleasure away. This game has a good feel to it, I like the scenery, hidden objects are large and I am able to find them. It's alot cheaper than going to a movie theatre. I've got my popcorn and soda, and going back to play, to me its a good game.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Dec 9, 11 12:22 AM

Oh, WOW!!! Thank you sooo much!!! I was so furious, that I wanted to scream on the review section!

Never have seen so much hatred, meaning to hurt on purpose... As if this fishie will gain some grandeur after all those offends written - almost a novel...

When I don't like a game - I don't post!!! People invested much of an effort to create something, and you have to respect their feelings!!!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 9, 11 1:03 AM
Thanks for the posts and giggles, and @shadow for saving me a gasket. I'll find a better cause to use my few left for topside. I give myself honors for not spending time in rebuttals, rather go play the demo than waste playtime and energy.
(tempted but not easy to scroll by.

So I did glean some good info from "reviews" to perk my interest as I had a at first. I never finished first FFS but had that icon on my laptop til it crashed. It was very dark, hard to see and teeny HOG objects, frustrating. I didn't think I bought it but now see I did on a newer bigger laptop (sale price to fill a card) and never got back to it.

First temptation to d/l this is widescreen fills on 17" LP. I always do take a look to see, no black bars yippee. At first read I too thought oh no more of the same another prolly dark eerie ghost or demon story, town disappearing? No? What?? A house torn down to build a freeway reappears as a house that eats people?? Now THAT is funny (to me) and someone said magic word "Parody". Hey, I haven't had a good laugh since Vampireville (cuz I don't like vamp or dracula,werewolf themes).

I think that subtle humor gets passed by with a lot of players, some games really bashed for being stupid I say can't you take a joke? Mishap1 a parody of ghost stories, funny stuff in there.Just the premise of that HiddenObj Show2 was funny to me, a gameshow that holds contestants hostage til next contestant frees them getting questions correct. Game got tedious (tiny objects) but still funny.

My trial had no dark hard to see scenes so far. I like reviews that say too easy, for beginners (way over 300 games on my history, seasoned, I just don't enjoy a struggle). Not crazy over puzzle stumpers holding up the game flow. Don't have enough grey matter left to remember where i saw where to put all that stuff if inventory is too big, I get lost. So, shorter the better for me, I want to finish and go to my next game(S) not finished.

Seems to be lighter in story and colors, last one had all that dark blue and black night scenes. Hope the graphics stay as seeable as first hour, like interactive hogs the most and lots of them, less adv/puz. Only neg is cursor a bit wobbly, wonder if because pic is stretched, looks like arrow is too, clumky. But I prefer that over sys cursor, need the hints, sparkles, and hopefully more humor.

CE or SE, with 4 more punch codes to use I kinda hate to pay cash, but hate to wait.
Was it fun for you?

Edited on 12/09/2011 at 1:16:17 AM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Dec 9, 11 3:25 AM
I am sure a lot of time and effort goes into most of these games...and to look at the credits, a lot of different people are involved. I do appreciate most of them. Off to play a bit more of this one now...I did finish up Revenge of the Spirit first, which I also thought was a really good game. Am hoping this one gets better, as it doesn't appear to be quite as logical, lol.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 9, 11 5:39 AM
Back after purchasing the CE and curser is running more smoothly now. Happens it was time to put a fresh battery in my cordless . I've been ignoring the little red light blinking since it still had juice to finish Cradle of Egypt, got quite a workout non stop. Anyway, not as wobbly altho really too big for hunting. I got a laugh from my typo in former post saying it was "clumky", must be a combo of clunky and clumsy?

So, all is well and enjoying the big graphics widescreen.

btw the critiquing re news reporters referred to. If I remember correctly (which is always dubious) I thought Fear For Sale was the name of a magazine the investigator writes for, not a newspaper? Paranormal crime mag. Unless I'm thinking of another reporter game. I don't recall it spelled out at the start of this game. So just thought the complaint was moot if not even a newspaper reporter, as the poster is one.

No complaints here, I'm enjoying the game. Some fun interactions, animations and nice HOS to play with, puzzles easy enough if I want to put in the time..Relaxing so far, enough whimsy for my taste, no LOLs but nothing too serious here, a GAME.

Most these CEs do have lots of artists' credits and IMO it is what put prices up higher than club prices of $6.99 to CE price. Considering how many are original paintings, the professionalism and detail it's worth it to me and glad to see work for good artists. Texture, antiqueing, aging, such a nice change from photos with slapped on clip art of the past. Thus, the concept art included to give more appreciation and recognition to their contributions. But so few seem to notice and judge games by length or difficulty then say not worth the $.

Now, if we demand good storytelling are we willing to pay a bit more for professional writers? What's a great original story worth? $15.99? Good original talent doesn't come cheap, cloning does.

Back to the hunt.

PurrrThang
Herring
Herring
394 Posts

[Post New]by PurrrThang on Dec 9, 11 5:57 AM
As soon as I saw the title I thought 'Why would I want to buy fear to add to my currently stressed life?' But I played the entire demo and had just found the last hidden item in a group and regretted not being able to see what it would give me as there are a number of things I'm looking for. So I'll add this to my BUY THE SE list. And I loved the music.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 9, 11 6:53 AM
I can't swear that it took me 5 hours to play the game - as some peeps here seem to have taken - but it was a nice longish game.

I enjoyed the main game immensely, AND I enjoyed the bonus game as well - something I can't say for most bonus games.

Also, another thing that happens to me lately is that I get bored quite quickly after the demo finishes. This didn't happen with this game. I never once thought: "Oh, I hope this game is over and done with soon". So that is definitely a good thing.

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Dec 9, 11 10:52 AM
I am really enjoying this game...typos and all. It has a different twist on an old story...some spookiness..lovely music..nice graphics...decent voice overs..good puzzles.. interactive object scenes and not alot of to and fro. I have certainly purchased worse games. It more than deserves a dnload of the demo in my book.

[Post New]by nancydrewfan24 on Dec 9, 11 1:26 PM
@Shadow Fax Hopefully It will sell good. I can't wait to see what tricks are up their sleeves!

Go to: