bfgHondo
Manatee
Manatee
3,712 Posts

Reviews for Nemo's Secret: Vulcania

[Post New]by bfgHondo on Dec 10, 11 12:13 AM
Hi fishies!

What did you think of Nemo's Secret: Vulcania? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, and now you can post them right on the game page! For more information about our Game Reviews, please click here.

Once you’ve submitted your review, please feel free to come back and re-post your thoughts in this thread. Remember, a lot of people who will be reading these reviews haven’t played this game yet, so if you’re posting any spoilers, please be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post. You can also add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game so other players can get more out of your review.

If you are experiencing technical issues with this game, remember to check out the support thread for this game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

-bfgHondo

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

Re:Reviews for Nemo's Secret: Vulcania

[Post New]by roxycavalier on Dec 10, 11 12:44 AM
No Try No Buy Screen resolution doesn't work!!

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on Dec 10, 11 1:03 AM
After 40 minutes of play

This is a sample version so I am not sure how much I had left to play before it would have ended. This did not fill my screen and most of the games here do. At one point I almost just quit because I was bored but after the elevator interaction with the mechanical spider I had to continue because it was funny.

There are some interaction in the HOG scenes. Some of the objects were difficult to find. Mainly because I had no idea what they were. The hint is wonderful on telling you what to do next. Shows you a picture and what to do or get there.

I am not sure how much I care about what happens but it is 3 in the morning and I find mechanical robotic things annoying. I will look at the walkthrough tomorrow to see how far I got. I didn't try the first one so cannot compare this one to it.

geniegal
Clownfish
Clownfish
603 Posts

[Post New]by geniegal on Dec 10, 11 1:06 AM
Game from Odian - new company to me. Based on 20 minutes play time. Two modes:

Regular - hints and skip recharges more quickly - sparkles in all active zones - silhouettes available in HOS
Advanced - slower recharge, sparkles in **** and puzzle zones - no silhouettes.

HOs are typical junk piles. Mini-games are standard fare so far.

Story plot: Rescue Capt. Nemo from his evil assistant who wants to rule the world.

Positives: no car crashes or lost kids, different plot line, good graphics.

Negatives: some items are small and/or hidden behind other things and are a little hard to see.

So far, it has been pretty easy, but you do a lot of walking back and forth. May use a coupon on this one.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Dec 10, 11 1:36 AM
My review it based on the demo. I enjoyed the first game of this series, but the sequels, never seem to live up to the originals. With this said, it's a very simplistic game for advanced players. There is No Widecreen/No Voiceover's/No way to turn off all sparkels. Even in advanced play, there are some sparkles.

I enjoy the story and overall look of the game. I did purchase this game with a punch card. It is very nice to see a different story and a SE for a change. This game is very easy, but sometime's it's nice to play an easier game. The art work and graphics are very pretty and clear. It's worth a try for sure. I am looking forward to the story and it is at least a change in theme, to what we get all the time. For these reason's I bought this game and think it's worth it. Give it a try for yourself. Enjoy!

I rate this game: PIGLET
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)

Edited on 12/10/2011 at 4:18:39 AM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Dec 10, 11 1:57 AM
If you remember "Nemo's Secret: The Nautilus" you will love this game. It presents a nice challenge even in the casual mode. This is a wonderful buy for an SE game. Rich graphics, music fine, hidden object scenes are interactive and there are plenty of mini games even though the skip button is a little slow. I bought five minutes into the game. I love stuff like this.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Dec 10, 11 2:30 AM
I at first didn't know what to think about this game, but the more I played , the more I started enjoying it. It wasn't a top of the line , great game. There were some faults. The **** scenes were very challenging - a lot of objects were hard to make out. The graphics of the game were more "cartoonish" than most. Also, I found the a couple of the mini games a bit too impossible too. Thanks for the skip button after a few minutes. But it was a different kind of storyline and the gameplay was fairly easy. So I would rate this a 7 out of 10.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 10, 11 2:39 AM
LovetoMissLisa wrote:There is No Widecreen/No Voiceover's/No Cursor options/No way to turn off all sparkels. Even in advanced play, there are some sparkles.

Not so fast: There is a cursor option.

--- --- ---

Review is based on the demo in normal mode:

I own "Nemo's Secret: The Nautilus". It started out beautifully, with lovely graphics and you are outside in the fresh air, so to speak. But I ended up quickly inside the sub, where I spent a lot of time in the machine rooms. I got so bored with the game, that I was relieved when I had finished it.

This game already starts out inside a messy and scruffy-looking cave, and from what I saw in the walkthrough, it doesn't get much better.

There is no widescreen.

There is an option of system and custom cursor.

There are 2 playing modes.

Because there is no voice-over, I have to concentrate more on the text. However, the text (when someone "speaks"), disappears too quickly for me. I don't just want to read the text, I also want to look at the scene, so I take a little longer to read. I'd prefer it if I could click "continue" when I am done reading, so that I don't have to worry that I can't catch some of what is "said".

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are messy.

Both the SKIP and HINT buttons take unnecessarily long to fill.

I am not terribly good at many of the puzzles (already had to skip those in the demo), and really don't care for multi-layered puzzles, like the one where you have to focus images.

I did like the graphics, and that is about the only positive thing I can say about this game. I don't like to spend most of my time being stuck in a machine room either in a sub or in caves. I know this type of game appeals to a lot of peeps, but sadly, I am not one of them.

Edited for spelling

Edited on 12/10/2011 at 4:39:06 AM PST

bradalex
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by bradalex on Dec 10, 11 2:41 AM
Not for me, I found the game quite boring. I also found the way things went into the inventory very irritating. I am not a fan of things mechanical so perhaps this is why I didn't like it.
For those of you who do......enjoy!

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Dec 10, 11 3:53 AM
I didn't like it. The graphics were too dark and I had no idea what to do with most of the items, as I didn't know what many of them were. Even when I did know what they were, I don't normally use crowbars as weapons in HOGs, so I spent much of the game being confused. I don't think I solved a single puzzle; I had to keep hitting the skip button. And the hint button was painfully slow.

Overall--good idea, bad execution. Definitely a NO BUY for me.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Dec 10, 11 3:56 AM
I got bored very quickly with all the mechanical stuff. I agree the opening sequence was lovely. The gameplay just didn't grab me. No buy for me.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Dec 10, 11 4:21 AM
LovetoMissLisa wrote:
There is No Widecreen/No Voiceover's/No Cursor options/No way to turn off all sparkels. Even in advanced play, there are some sparkles.

Quote: Valdy

Thanks Valdy, I missed that. I just got an appointment yesterday for new glasses. I guess this proves, I need an up grade for glasses. LOL
thanks for correcting my error.

Edited on 12/10/2011 at 4:24:39 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 10, 11 4:37 AM
LovetoMissLisa wrote:Thanks Valdy, I missed that. I just got an appointment yesterday for new glasses. I guess this proves, I need an up grade for glasses. LOL
thanks for correcting my error.

Not to worry. I wear glasses too and know how quickly the eyes deteriorate, especially because I hardly ever give them a rest. If it isn't a computer game I expose them to, it's a book I am reading.
Hope you won't have to wait too long for your new glasses.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Dec 10, 11 5:51 AM
I liked the first game in this series but that one pales in comparison to this. Based on the demo anyway.

I didn't start out feeling that way For the first ten minutes or so I thought wow they didn't put much thought into this. As usual I was wrong

I really like the story line. Graphics were great. I can't give much of an opinion on the music. I had it turned down real low so as not to wake the grand daughter That always ends my play.

The hidden object scenes were very well done. The puzzles (mini games) were difficult enough to make it challenging and they can be skipped.

Played the demo in the easier of the 2 options and think that I may stay with that when I buy. Will decide then. The hint gives a photo of where and what you need to do. Skips and hints fill slowly even in normal mode.

Checked with the walkthrough to see how far I got in the demo. I didn't even complete a quarter of the game in an hour so the length looks good. I even skipped one of the minis which I won't do in the actual game.

The only thing I could see wrong was how slow the inventory lists comes up. I can live with that. Especially since I can get another great game at a great price. SE yay!

Definite buy on this one Fishies. Have fun! Thanks Big Fish!!

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Dec 10, 11 6:29 AM
Beta'd this and enjoyed it. I liked the first game in this series and this one sits along side it fine. Nice change from spooks and haunted houses. It's a buy for me.

Happy Gaming

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Dec 10, 11 7:21 AM
Valdy wrote:
LovetoMissLisa wrote:There is No Widecreen/No Voiceover's/No Cursor options/No way to turn off all sparkels. Even in advanced play, there are some sparkles.

--- --- ---

Review is based on the demo in normal mode:

I own "Nemo's Secret: The Nautilus". It started out beautifully, with lovely graphics and you are outside in the fresh air, so to speak. But I ended up quickly inside the sub, where I spent a lot of time in the machine rooms. I got so bored with the game, that I was relieved when I had finished it.

This game already starts out inside a messy and scruffy-looking cave, and from what I saw in the walkthrough, it doesn't get much better.

There is no widescreen.

There is an option of system and custom cursor.

There are 2 playing modes.

Because there is no voice-over, I have to concentrate more on the text. However, the text (when someone "speaks"), disappears too quickly for me. I don't just want to read the text, I also want to look at the scene, so I take a little longer to read. I'd prefer it if I could click "continue" when I am done reading, so that I don't have to worry that I can't catch some of what is "said".

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are messy.

Both the SKIP and HINT buttons take unnecessarily long to fill.

I am not terribly good at many of the puzzles (already had to skip those in the demo), and really don't care for multi-layered puzzles, like the one where you have to focus images.

I did like the graphics, and that is about the only positive thing I can say about this game. I don't like to spend most of my time being stuck in a machine room either in a sub or in caves. I know this type of game appeals to a lot of peeps, but sadly, I am not one of them.

Edited for spelling

Well today Valdy you said everything I was thinking about this game, no need for me to say more. No buy for me.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Dec 10, 11 7:22 AM
Even though the HOS became a tiny bit tedious because of the slow hint button and there were no voiceovers, I really enjoyed playing this game. It's beautifully created, has great navigation, a real good story, terrific locations and is a good 5 hr length, though I am an average speed player, so probably not that long for the faster ones, but still good. Pretty good for a SE and well worth the cash.

At first I thought there was no music but then it dawned on me that couldn't be and sure enough, I found that the game is set up to start on medium volume. Then there was atmosphere as well, which was a big improvement. I especially liked the robot and spiderbot aspects, not something we get much off, so it felt quite original too.

There was one HOS in particular, outside Dardell's lair, that had me at my wits end, it was so jammed packed full of the tinest objects, all the same colour. It took ages and was no fun. Then, after going off to another locaation and coming back, horror of horrors, there it was again! I was so relieved when I finally got through those.

Otherwise, it was extremely well done and afforded me a very pleasant afternoon.

I look forward to more from these developers, they really know their stuff.

Just please, faster hint/skip and no more miniscule objects all the same colour. Voiceovers would add to it's appeal as well.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Dec 10, 11 7:27 AM
I just couldn't stand to play any longer. I found this game frustrating, to say the least. The hidden objects were so hard to find and I hate these kind of games. I read all the time where posters say the game doesn't fit the screen. When you download a game, you should be getting a shortcut on your screen somewhere. Right click on it, left click on properties, then change the window size and click apply then ok. This has always worked for me, so it should work for any of you who need it.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Dec 10, 11 7:28 AM
Sheerija wrote:Even though the HOS became a tiny bit tedious because of the slow hint button and there were no voiceovers, I really enjoyed playing this game. It's beautifully created, has great navigation, a real good story, terrific locations and is a good 5 hr length, though I am an average speed player, so probably not that long for the faster ones, but still good. Pretty good for a SE and well worth the cash.

At first I thought there was no music but then it dawned on me that couldn't be and sure enough, I found that the game is set up to start on medium volume. Then there was atmosphere as well, which was a big improvement. I especially liked the robot and spiderbot aspects, not something we get much off, so it felt quite original too.

There was one HOS in particular, outside Dardell's lair, that had me at my wits end, it was so jammed packed full of the tinest objects, all the same colour. It took ages and was no fun. Then, after going off to another locaation and coming back, horror of horrors, there it was again! I was so relieved when I finally got through those.

Otherwise, it was extremely well done and afforded me a very pleasant afternoon.

I look forward to more from these developers, they really know their stuff.

Just please, faster hint/skip and no more miniscule objects all the same colour. Voiceovers would add to it's appeal as well.

Just like to add, for fairness sake, that the hint button with it's picture clues, was a marvellous touch, for me. Just like having a SG, only better.

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Dec 10, 11 8:05 AM
Played the demo for about 30 minutes, loved it, bought it. I own the first one, and I know I will enjoy this one as well. I love the spiders and robotic objects, the scenes are interesting, the h0s are a challenge (read tiny and dark), but overall, I like it. I have already skipped a mini game, couldn't figure it out, but that's not unusual. I don't have the right mindset for some of these games. Sometimes a WT will explain the object of a mini and then I will be able to complete it. But try this one, it is worth at least a credit.

Go to: