Puzzles

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Dec 11, 11 1:53 AM
When you look in the journal, you can see what to do.

Hope this will help you.

Re:Puzzles

[Post New]by heatherington on Dec 11, 11 2:07 AM
Thanks, dobbiemijnboekji, I was doing the puzzles pretty good, but that one where you had to move the jewels around was a little too much for me. That sort of thing makes me crazy.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 11, 11 5:46 AM
How hard do the puzzles get? I like the more challenging ones.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Dec 11, 11 6:42 AM
It's not that they get that hard, it's more that you can't understand what's required of you. The on-screen instructions are a little vague. On that level, if you like a challenge, you can use trial and error till you solve them. The SG gives you a lot more information about what to do. Just be careful, if you do use the SG, that you don't absorb too much information and spoil the challenge. I did that a couple of times, till experience taught me otherwise.

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Dec 11, 11 7:36 AM
I think the puzzles were a little harder that usual, although I wouldn't say they were especially taxing. The jewel puzzle heatherington mentioned was a stand out for me, actually. I thought it was really well designed. Each different step is a bit harder, teaching you the mechanics bit by bit until the last stage, which can't be solved without doing something quite counter-intuitive. To me that's the hallmark of a great puzzle: a few simple rules which have to be applied in conjunction with a bit of lateral thinking.

Unfortunately there are a fair few puzzles where you have to scour the screen for symbols. You don't even have to do much with them, beyond working through them in order. For me, finding codes and then putting them in is just busy-work. I want to be challenged, not made to do data-entry!

Edited on 12/11/2011 at 7:42:01 AM PST

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 11, 11 10:05 AM
Exactly SoManyCrimes and Sheerija, I want a challenge, and I can't seem to find any without resorting to LFAs and those are just too long for me. I thought the early Ravenhearst ones were so good, and then instead of games progressing, it seems that they've been getting dumbed down. When I look at a review and it says the puzzles are easy it just turns me off. I know a lot of people play these to relax, but I play them for stimulation, and they're just boring me to tears . This game seems fun, though, even if it does seem too much on the easy side.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Dec 11, 11 12:48 PM
Easy is nice once in a while

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Dec 11, 11 1:36 PM
It seems like there needs to be a rethink of how the difficulty levels work in these games. There now seems to be enough of a disparity between the levels of challenge that people want that just having a quicker skip button doesn't cut it.

Why can't there be different puzzles for the different difficulty levels? So both easy and difficult would get a pipe puzzle, for example, but on difficult there would be more pieces in total, or on easy more would already be in the right place. I can't think of any of the common puzzle types that this wouldn't work for. Programming the puzzle engine is surely the hard part, not the actual specific setup of the puzzle itself.

Edited on 12/11/2011 at 1:39:20 PM PST

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 11, 11 6:53 PM
Old_Man_River wrote:Easy is nice once in a while
To me, it seems like all we get is easy. I think hard would be nice once in a while. SMC, I like your idea of same puzzle, different difficulty.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Dec 11, 11 11:48 PM
Thing is what is easy for some is hard for others and vice versa. The only puzzle in this game that I skipped was the one where you had to turn on all the lights. Those just don't make any sense to me, and even though I always try them, I usually get so frustrated, I wind up skipping them. I also am not a huge fan of those games where two or three things move at the same time, making it hard to complete the circles. In this game they were able to make these fun, and challenging enough for me. I enjoyed figuring out what to do with some of the ones I was not familiar with, and felt really pleased with myself that I was able to do them. I thought some of these were the best puzzles I have ever played. Magnificent game in my opinion.

Edited on 12/11/2011 at 11:50:30 PM PST

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Dec 12, 11 5:37 AM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:Thing is what is easy for some is hard for others and vice versa.

Do you think? I wouldn't have thought that applied to the minigames. I'm not trying to be belligerent, this is something I'm looking into for my own project. Its based on the idea outlined above, about difficulty levels, and it clearly won't work if what you're asserting is true. So I'm interested in finding out what other people think!

To be clear. I'm not denying that people find different puzzles differently challenging, it's more the "vice versa" that I'm querying. I'd be surprised if you could find someone who found puzzles A,B,C easy and X,Y,Z hard and then someone else who thought the complete opposite, that A,B,C were the hard ones and X,Y,Z a walk in the park.

To me the puzzles are all too similar for that to happen. At their core, they only test planning and logic. Any tests of mathematics, spacial awareness, visual acuity and verbal or physical dexterity are kept to an absolute minimum because the developers understand they have a very broad audience of all ages, abilities and nationalities.

So because of the narrow range of skills required I would expect that, if you made people fill out a questionnaire about the puzzles in a game, ranking them for difficulty, there would be a pretty large consensus over which ones were easy and which ones were hard.

But maybe this doesn't match with people's real world experience?

Edited on 12/12/2011 at 5:39:38 AM PST

Go to: