textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Comments for Temple of Life: The Legend of the Four Elements CE

[Post New]by textrekkie on Dec 11, 11 7:05 AM
A place for your comments about the game.

Re:Comments for Temple of Life: The Legend of the Four Elements CE

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Dec 11, 11 8:14 AM
Yeah, I've noticed that in a lot of games, too. I play an online game where "Martha" looks surprisingly like Martha Stewart and "Sarah" looks just like the woman in Chuck.

blackgsd
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by blackgsd on Dec 11, 11 9:07 AM
This is an archaeologist? I don't care who she looks like, she acts like Godzilla on a rampage, using her trusty crowbar to destroy an ancient tomb without even a tiny apology. Somebody please tell the developers that tomb was found by a real archaeologist who saw "wonderful things" and did his best to preserve them, not a teenybopper dressed completely out of her era.

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Dec 11, 11 9:35 AM
blackgsd wrote:This is an archaeologist? I don't care who she looks like, she acts like Godzilla on a rampage, using her trusty crowbar to destroy an ancient tomb without even a tiny apology. Somebody please tell the developers that tomb was found by a real archaeologist who saw "wonderful things" and did his best to preserve them, not a teenybopper dressed completely out of her era.

This seems to have irked quite a few people (including me). I'm glad! I'm forever rabbiting on about the gameplay having to be consistent with the theme and story and people often don't seem to care.

I don't predict that developers are going to make huge strides in this area (it's REALLY hard to come up with logical and plausible in-game puzzles - bash it with a crowbar and puzzle-locks are so much simpler) but if they were going to take one piece of narrative advice I hope it would be this: the actions that the main character has to perform are orders of magnitude more important than anything else, especially since (in these games) there's never any choice about whether you want to do them or not and still proceed. If the main character is an archaeologist, then they have to behave like one EVEN IF what they're doing doesn't resemble real life in any way. No Egyptian tomb has ever looked like the one in this game, but you still can't have the main character bash it about with a crowbar and not expect a massive break in immersion.

blackgsd
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by blackgsd on Dec 11, 11 10:16 AM
SoManyCrimes wrote:

...if they were going to take one piece of narrative advice I hope it would be this: the actions that the main character has to perform are orders of magnitude more important than anything else, especially since (in these games) there's never any choice about whether you want to do them or not and still proceed. If the main character is an archaeologist, then they have to behave like one EVEN IF what they're doing doesn't resemble real life in any way. No Egyptian tomb has ever looked like the one in this game, but you still can't have the main character bash it about with a crowbar and not expect a massive break in immersion.

You make very good points, SoManyCrimes, we don't have a choice about whether we smash and break ancient, beautiful things in this game (or act as irrationally in others) if we want to proceed.

When our heroine took a crowbar to that lovely (if unreal) wall and turned it into rubble, I made the only choice open to me and uninstalled the demo. It was just too much to take. But I might have bought this game if the developers had taken your narrative advice and shown just a little respect for our intelligence.

Edited on 12/11/2011 at 10:19:36 AM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Dec 11, 11 1:00 PM
Hey folks, chill. It is just a game. The characters do act out of real life. A true archeologist would never take a crowbar to an artifact. So what? Do I stop playing games because it is not realistic? Should I have to take classes in hieroglyphics to be able to read signs and instructions? Should the first half of the game be spent running around from bureaucrat to bureaucrat trying to get permits just to enter the tomb site?
I have a degree in physics. Should I stop going to movies just because the movie physics are not realistic?Give the developers a break.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Dec 11, 11 1:08 PM
Old_Man_River wrote: Hey folks, chill. It is just a game. The characters do act out of real life. A true archeologist would never take a crowbar to an artifact. So what? Do I stop playing games because it is not realistic? Should I have to take classes in hieroglyphics to be able to read signs and instructions? Should the first half of the game be spent running around from bureaucrat to bureaucrat trying to get permits just to enter the tomb site?
I have a degree in physics. Should I stop going to movies just because the movie physics are not realistic?Give the developers a break.

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Dec 11, 11 1:21 PM
Old_Man_River wrote: I have a degree in physics. Should I stop going to movies just because the movie physics are not realistic?

Well if the movie is about physics, then maybe. This is ostensibly a story about archaeology. Fantasy archaeology, true, but even fantasy has to be tethered to reality as we know it or there's no way to relate to it.

Why should we give the developers a break? Because writing a story that isn't lazy is harder than cobbling it together from cliches? So what? They want my money, they have to meet my standards!

I'm not suggesting that games should be totally realistic. Or even that the main character taking a crowbar to antiquities is a dealbreaker. But it is disappointing, and all the disappointments add up until eventually it's too much. And so I keep my money and spend it on something else. It doesn't seem like I'm alone in this.

Edited on 12/11/2011 at 1:27:24 PM PST

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Dec 11, 11 2:18 PM
Old_Man_River wrote: Hey folks, chill. It is just a game. The characters do act out of real life. A true archeologist would never take a crowbar to an artifact. So what? Do I stop playing games because it is not realistic? Should I have to take classes in hieroglyphics to be able to read signs and instructions? Should the first half of the game be spent running around from bureaucrat to bureaucrat trying to get permits just to enter the tomb site?

Well said, Old_Man_River.

These are, after all, just games. We play them for enjoyment, entertainment, and escape from reality. We defeat ghosts, witches, goblins, and otherworldly creatures. We take on the creepy and the totally ridiculous. We enter fantasy realms... an escape from our world of reality... embark on quests, and in the course of game achievements, do things we would never do in real life.

Yes, I cringed at destroying an artifact. But, in my own personal world of game playing, I can keep all that in perspective, all the while enjoying the fact that it's just make believe. I do not require that my own personal gaming experience mirror the actions of my own reality, nor do I expect the epic story telling of a Pulitzer prize winning author. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and with all due respect, I am content with my own, and the satisfaction I experienced with this game.
and happy gaming to all.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Dec 11, 11 2:45 PM
DITTO!!!!

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Dec 11, 11 2:56 PM
Lady_Cav wrote:We defeat ghosts, witches, goblins, and otherworldly creatures. We take on the creepy and the totally ridiculous.

But I think that's missing the point that people are trying to make. It's not that games should be more realistic. It's that they should be more consistent. An archaeologist destroying an artifact with a crowbar is similar to a fax machine suddenly showing up in Narnia. It's not the level of realism that matters, it's that it's incongruous.

Lady_Cav wrote: I do not require that my own personal gaming experience mirror the actions of my own reality, nor do I expect the epic story telling of a Pulitzer prize winning author.

And neither does anyone else. I think it's a bit unfair that the argument is constantly misrepresented like this. I don't want literature, and I don't want tedious reality. But I don't want the current slapdash writing either. Is that so much to ask? There is a vast middle ground to shoot for, where the stories are still fun but aren't throwaway nonsense.

Look, I don't think anyone's mind is going to change here, and I'm certainly not trying to tell anyone how they should be enjoying themselves! But if there are any developers reading, I'd like to put this as simply as possible:

Improving the story can only gain you customers!

There is a portion of gamers who don't really care about the story, and another portion of gamers who won't buy your games unless you improve the quality a bit. The great thing is that if you make the effort to please the second group, you won't alienate the first group. They still won't care! So it's not like the difficulty level, or sparkles, or H0 types, where pleasing one group puts another set of people off. There is no trade-off! No-one is going to complain if you improve the translation. No-one really loves the spelling mistakes, even if there are plenty of people who don't mind them. No-one is going to be sad if you put a little more thought into the stories. But if you do make the effort, I think you'll suddenly find you have a lot more customers. You literally can't lose!

Edited on 12/11/2011 at 3:16:36 PM PST

[Post New]by Coronagold on Dec 11, 11 3:33 PM
It's a good game and a decent length but I felt a tad ripped off when she found 2 spheres in one location.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Dec 12, 11 12:00 AM
Lady_Cav wrote:

Well said, Old_Man_River.

Quoting LadyCav: " These are, after all, just games. We play them for enjoyment, entertainment, and escape from reality. We defeat ghosts, witches, goblins, and otherworldly creatures. We take on the creepy and the totally ridiculous. We enter fantasy realms... an escape from our world of reality... embark on quests, and in the course of game achievements, do things we would never do in real life. Yes, I cringed at destroying an artifact. But, in my own personal world of game playing, I can keep all that in perspective, all the while enjoying the fact that it's just make believe. I do not require that my own personal gaming experience mirror the actions of my own reality, nor do I expect the epic story telling of a Pulitzer prize winning author. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and with all due respect, I am content with my own, and the satisfaction I experienced with this game.
and happy gaming to all." /end quote

Here here, I agree totally. Although I cringed the first time I played a game similar to this one, where you had to destroy these gorgeous old jars and vases to get to the item hidden inside. I didn't let that stop me from playing, lol. Same thing here. It is fantasy, after all, and those who won't tolerate spiders or snakes, or smashing vases, sure have missed a great gaming experience with this one.

I too was disappointed that she found two sphere in one location. Would have liked it better if it had included a whole nother section for one of those spheres. But, it still is an awesome game, and I absolutely rank this one right up near the top of my alltime favorites. Kudos to the developers, and I am looking forward to their next one.

eta I tried to include Lady Cav's quote, in which she quoted Old Man River, but for some reason it didn't work.

Edited on 12/12/2011 at 12:06:59 AM PST

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Dec 13, 11 5:03 PM
Really nice game. Fun to play.

Jillspets
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Jillspets on Dec 14, 11 3:13 AM
I've found this to be one of the more enjoyable games I've played in awhile. I found it quit easy to follow and the graphics were fabulous. I'll definately check out any further games from this group. Good Job people!

Emmail
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Emmail on Dec 15, 11 1:50 PM
Anyone having technical issues for this game? I have found two elements and when the story for the next element plays, the game freezes.

elrem
Guppy
Guppy
123 Posts

[Post New]by elrem on Dec 22, 11 1:18 AM
I would like to say is that even though it is not in reality, I enjoy escaping from reality from time to time. In this game it is a lot easier to find the hidden objects. To the developers of this game BRAVO, BRAVO.

Edited on 12/22/2011 at 1:25:53 AM PST

[Post New]by lady_light on Jan 15, 12 3:56 PM
Is anyone else having trouble with the game crashing before it gets started? It says the problem is with the bluescreen. I've uninstalled and reenstalled but doesn't help.
Does anyone have any suggestions? Would hate to lose money on another game that won't work. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments for Temple of Life: The Legend of the Four Elements CE

[Post New]by dors0630 on Jan 21, 12 4:05 PM
textrekkie wrote:A place for your comments about the game.

I need help I have come to a stop i found the shears and used them on the spider instead of the plant and now i cant get the stag for the boat to cont

Help I am stuck!!!!

[Post New]by angie108 on Feb 23, 12 4:01 PM
Please help me I am stuck toward the end.I didn't get the yolk from the eggs.I don't know what I missed.
Thanks
Angie

Go to: