cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 15 December 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Dec 15, 11 12:03 AM
Any comments fishes?

moonlightgrey
Flounder
Flounder
2,076 Posts

Re:Todays DD 15 December 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by moonlightgrey on Dec 15, 11 12:34 AM
Made me laugh more than anyother game I have ever played. Good for kids, good for adults, good for yetis.

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Dec 15, 11 4:27 AM
I agree! I bought this game two years ago. It's my favourite Christmas one.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Dec 15, 11 7:15 AM
I also bought this game some time back -- maybe 2 years ago also. It was very cute.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Dec 15, 11 7:39 AM
Count me in! Bought this when it came out & it's now one of my Christmas traditions!! It's so cute & silly & fun! It's a must have for the DD price!

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Dec 15, 11 8:54 AM
Played over half the game in the demo hour and felt like I was on autopilot. There is another game by this dev, Pirateville, and it's a much longer and more challenging game. I didn't think Christmasville was cute, just silly. I don't even feel tempted to get it for $2.99.

I do agree, though, that it's a good game for kids.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Dec 15, 11 9:28 AM
I was happy to see this as the DD because this is the second Christmas where I have read about it being a funny one and thought of giving it a chance, but I get tired of HOG scenes too quickly to want to consider it at more than DD price.

Having said that, I nearly ditched the demo at the map puzzle because I could see my lat. and long. lines seemed in place, the blue path was correct and all the other details (that I could spot) too but the game thought otherwise. I came to the forum and saw others also finding it a bit trial and error. I was close to ditching but decided to try playing around with a couple of random pieces and finally got it.

In case anyone else has the same piece wrong, my incorrect piece was (SPOILER ALERT - highlight white text with mouse to read): * a piece down in the bottom right corner, not the frame piece but one in from that * END SPOILER

I didn't enjoy the HOG scenes during the demo, but I enjoyed the dialogue/story/Christmas theme of this game and have someone visiting soon who likes an occasional straight HOG so I bought it anyway while it's such a good price. I'm hoping we'll get chance to play it together and that will make the HOG scenes more fun.

Edited on 12/15/2011 at 9:52:53 AM PST

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Dec 15, 11 10:54 AM
I like silly games and the idea of a yeti helper sucked me in. I played until the map, like so many others I couldn't find the one bit that was out of sinc, but by that time I was already fed up. First of all, I didn't see any way to turn off the timer. Second, it came up with a wide black border around it, even on full screen. It also has a scrolling list, even though the side bar is mostly empty. Even a pacifist yeti wasn't enough to save it for me. Except when something was too obscure, it was too easy and bored me. The H0G scenes graphics seemed clear and mostly easy to find. It's just not for me, even at the DD price.

underwriter
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by underwriter on Dec 15, 11 12:18 PM
I'd played this on the online games section, where you can only get as far as the snowman. Normally I don't care for cartoon-y graphics, but this game is so silly (not in a bad way) that they fit right in. Plus, it works on Windows 2000, so I can put it on my laptop (incidentally my standards for a laptop game are not as high LOL). I agree it is kind of kid-like to some degree, but there are nods to the grownups: do many kids remember Elvis? Do many kids work with someone just like Elf? So I bought iy, and thanks BFG.

chipps611
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by chipps611 on Dec 15, 11 8:27 PM
This is one of the silliest and funny hidden object games I've ever seen. I'd love to know what the developers were on when they made this so I could order some. What's not to like about hanging out with Death for a while in a Christmas themed game? It's worth the 2.99 just for that.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 15, 11 9:05 PM
Well durn, I'm going to have to try this again this year. I think it was either the timer or some glitches in past years. But it's the same silly crazy guys that did Vampireville, the funniest, funnest game in my collection (because it too is a parody and I don't like vampire games, hilarious HOAP untimed)

One of my first HOG games years back was their Pirateville, on a timer and took me forever to finish. Not so funny, just outrageous silly but good colorful graphics. Also another one learning magic, timed out, don't like starting over.So, if I can get thru this demo without timing out it's a buy.

Hope it runs on W7 laptop, seems my glitches were on old XP.

So glad a game has brought some laughs to so many, we need more

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Dec 15, 11 9:12 PM
I gave it a try... thought a nice little Christmas game would cheer me up but... nah. Too repetitive. You end up doing the same H0 scenes several times and then they make you do a STD of that same scene. Still... for the funny story and silly characters I figured I'd put up with it... until... BAM... punished 20 seconds for "random clicking" ummm NO actually I wasn't "randomly clicking" I was clicking things that looked liked wrapped presents like I was told to do. Grrrr. I hate that. Pretty much if a dev decides to punish me for playing their game I figure I'll return the favor and punish them by NOT buying it.

Cute graphics... some are a bit blurry but that may be because the game is older. Sound was fine, no voice acting, lots of text to read... filled my screen. Not sure if it would fill a wide screen though.

Solid 2 stars out of 5. But it's a no buy here even as a DD. (And I LOVE Vampireville!!)

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 15, 11 10:04 PM
Well I must have had a lot of HOG practice since this game, whipping through it pretty easily with time to spare. But that music is bizarre, I guess it's to make you rush so it's first to go.

I haven't had any random click penalties so I don't know how many clicks to get one, I did have a few random guesses, and the wrapped gifts I hit 2 wrong. Those FTD split screens make my eyes go zonky but pretty easy, had to get a tip on the last one I missed. Took me awhile to find Hints, it says Tip but refills pretty quickly.

Yeh it's Nevosoft, didn't they do Mushroom Age too? Have 30 min left but had to stop and eat, probably will buy when I resume. So far no glitches on W7, some items a bit fuzzy but nice color. Of course no widescreen back then. Has that older look but maybe brings on nostalgia? I guess I'll lhave to play my own Christmas music, maybe that's where Santa went, to fire the sound engineer? What were they thinking??

Yep, silly allright, but Christmas is for kids so we'll just playlike we R one

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Dec 16, 11 12:37 PM

I just completed this game and it was alright but I didn't like the background music as it didn't fit the Christmas theme.

I'm glad that I only spent the $2.99 as I don't think that it's worth more than that.

MEnr56

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 16, 11 2:19 PM
Just thought I should add, careful where/when you close the game. It does not save where you left. I thought I had finished a level when I closed to post on forum, on Continue or resume I had to redo the level. Then the demo timed out 30 minutes later and I left to buy. Then I had to replay that level again including the map which I had completed. Maybe you have to start a new level then quit (?)

Game isn't as easy as it starts out because the tme given for screens drops to less than 5 minutes. Then, when I did the first card matching game and screwed up on the second I had to do both again and was there a third? I think so, if you don't play that right you have to play them all again. No mercy here if you aren't fast, or if you lose a card game.

Other than that, it is an amusing game (no LOLs for me) and curiousity where the story goes keeps me going, am up to around L20 I think. Using a LOT of tips to find blurry unidentifiable objects, have to redo most HOS twice. Maybe it's my old eyes or small screen, not sorry I boought it but really taking time to play it, not a quickie for me. But - it's a departure from what I've been playing which is ok. (for DD price and a punch)

Edited on 12/16/2011 at 3:14:44 PM PST

Go to: