bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Dec 15, 11 12:20 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond and you can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts Collector's Edition page here.

Have questions about our new reviews section? Please check this forum post and our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread. Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Past: Realm of Ghosts Collector's Edition

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 15, 11 1:35 AM
Based on the trial.

Sorry folks, but this is the worst CE I've seen this whole year!
-graphics are murky with no clarity at all
-story is unclear with very vague objectives
-voiceovers are amateurish
-game gives no clue as to the length
-SG is extremely poor as it displays each objective one by one and does not keep its place, instead you must reopen it and use a slider to see what to do next (every time!)
-no widescreen or stretch (so like all the games from 2009)---after several CE games that do offer this option it makes this one pale in comparison
-the game seems to be done entirely in shades of blue/green and gray which makes it look completely washed out
This game has been a while in getting here and I expected so much more from this developer (Gogii) after the wait but it is nothing but a huge disappointment and truly if any game looks slapped together just to make a couple of bucks it is this one. Certainly not worth CE money or even SE money for me. Too many other outstanding games out there to play to waste time with this one-TURKEY OF THE YEAR!

(edited for spelling)

Edited on 12/15/2011 at 2:29:13 AM PST

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Dec 15, 11 1:36 AM
Just finished the demo. Super graphics a little dark but fits the storyline so far.

Full screen! SG available in game but doesnt keep your place. They have made some changes on the SG not sure if I like the new format. Hint button is interesting about how it hilights.

On my way to purchase.

Happy game day

Just finished the game. I really enjoyed it. I felt this game was shorter than most of GOGIs games or could it be I am getting better lol I think not. This game was not as intense as most of their games have been.

Edited on 12/15/2011 at 5:46:47 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 15, 11 1:47 AM
P.S.--no clue whatsoever as to the length or content of the bonus play--but then, who cares?

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Dec 15, 11 2:03 AM
I played the demo and don't know what to think about it.
The HOS are clear. Puzzles no instructions. I don't know about the lenght.

I wait for more reviews.

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Dec 15, 11 2:36 AM
At first, I didn't care for the game too much, too many items and nowhere to use them and then the two world were a bit confusing. But with a little help from the Strategy Guide, I got into it a bit more learning how to go back and forth and how to move things back and forth. Then things got a bit more interesting! (I guess maybe it's just the blonde in me , who knows, or the half Polish? Maybe both? Can't do two things at once, that's for sure ! LOL) But seriously, I really did start enjoying the game more and thought the gameplay got easier. I was disappointed when the demo ended . Was trying to put the ***SPOILER ALERT nameplates on the jars and it wouldn't let me , because it wanted me to go through the gate and finish the demo first!
The graphics were pretty good and the music too. The **** Scenes were a little "Junkpileish" . The minigames - I only remember coming across a few , were easy enough. I would rate this a 8 out of 10. (It would have got a 9 , but the traveling between 2 worlds and moving things, I don't think I would have figured out without the use of the Strategy Guide.)

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Dec 15, 11 2:46 AM
I have just finished the trial, but unlike cbtx, I don't think it is an absolute turkey. It is not the greatest game, but I did have fun, and could see some similarities in game play to the Snark Busters series. I did find it confusing trying to work out when the game was set, but I got there eventually, lol.

The H0 scenes are not too difficult, nor are the puzzles. Once an area is cleared, we are told so - which is really good The puzzles are solved by using items we have found - usually in the vicinity or close by, and we are given a visual hint of what is needed to solve the puzzle - I quite liked that.

However, I did find the music very irritating, and finally had to turn it off. The SG (as already mentioned) only gives instruction as you need it - not a bad thing, but certainly not as good as we have been getting lately.

As for the voices, I had trouble several times working out what was being said, and by whom - not until the end of the demo did I realise the "evil" ghost/thingy was also making comments, not just the ghostly Emily

I have a 19" monitor, and I am using Win 7 (64 bit). The game filled my screen quite well, so that was a bonus. Another was being able to turn the awful music down/off without losing the sound effects or voices. I played in casual mode - the other choice was advanced. The sparkles are more like wispy clouds once a task is successfully completed.

Without knowing how long the game is (very naughty of the Dev's not to show that little detail ), I don't think I will be buying this as a CE. As an SE, however, I probably will buy it - if only to find out what happens in the story, lol.

Jen

ETA: Oops, mybad, lol. I just re-read my post and remembered I now have a 22" monitor, not the old 19"!

Now if some really really nice person could just tell us how long the game is and if the bonus content is worth the CE price I might be finally able to make up my mind about purchasing, lol.

Edited on 12/18/2011 at 11:25:39 PM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Dec 15, 11 2:48 AM
I have only played 45 minutes so far but I think that the voices are OK and, while the graphics have that darkish slightly blurry quality that everyone uses for old houses and spooky themes, I have had absolutely no trouble finding anything.

What I absolutely love about this game is that it gives you choices so that you can custom design your own level of difficulty by turning on or off the following:

Tutorial
Visual Help
In game tips
Hint Recharge Rate ... slow, medium, fast
Skip Puzzle Charge Rate
Hidden Object Scene Difficulty ... casual or advanced

I have played with everything turned off but the skip puzzle charge on fast just in case of emergencies but so far I haven't needed it and I have had great fun discovering things for myself.

If there is a mirror in the room you can pass through it into the ghost realm and I have enjoyed this aspect in a couple of previous games as I think it gives the game a bit more interest. This particular game has an added extra bit to it when you are in the ghost realm and I like it .

You also get an Area Cleared notice which I know a lot of you will welcome . The Strategy Guide doesn't let you see any information past the point you are at so you can't spoil the rest of the game for yourself by accidently seeing what is coming next

What I do not like about the game is that if you move your cursor to the top of the screen you get a pop up which tells what you have to do such as to follow someone etc. When I checked out the Strategy Guide to get some idea of the length of the game I saw the exact same wording so it would appear that is where the relevant bit of the SG is displayed for that area and I couldn't get rid of it and that spoilt the game a bit for me .

Cherb

TO ALL DEVS: There should be an index page to every SG whereby we can see exactly how many chapters a game has when we demo it.

I also don't think it is right for everything to be locked until you have played the main game, once purchase has been made you should be able to access everything except the bonus chapter.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Dec 15, 11 2:54 AM
I bought the game, because I never let off ghost stories...

Once Gogii had bright and clear logo; now it changed to be a dark blue logo, and this game fits their logo: all the scenes are of two kind - or dark, or "negative"-like, without colors. Yes, it fits the plot, but it doesn't fit my hunger for aesthetics, that's why I didn't know what to feel about it. Some ambivalent feeling...

The hint system is very helpful (even out of the HOS screens, yay!). The SG lack the pictures, although they are added, and you click to see them. But (for Dobbie), it is impossible to make any comment about the length, because the SG gives only one part till the end, and stops there. Thus you are going to buy a "cat in a sack"...

There is very original activity, in which you can't pass objects from one realm to another, and you have to "hide" them in special places. uncomfortable a little bit, but clever.

It could be a much better game, if we were given some colors and beauty surroundings. Human eyes search all the time for the aesthetics, and the lack of it reduced the pleasure of the game. Who cares if it fits the plot and the story - I want to say "aaahhh and "wow" when I pass from one screen to another...

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Dec 15, 11 2:58 AM
Goodday fishies!

What we have here, as the TGT, is a game that's not run of the mill. It's kind of special. For starters: it has lots of choices how you'lld like to play. Not only 'easy' or 'advanced' but also 'custom'. This last choice gives you the opportunity to finetune your preferences. Never saw this before in a game. Kudos devs!

Then: the colouring. It might take a little while to get used to, but it adds to the creepy atmosphere and it doesn't make things hard to see. In fact, the graphics are very clear. It's easy finding the necessary objects, certainly so in the H0 scenes.

Third specialty: the ghost-realm. It reminds me a bit of Magic Encyclopedia: Illusions where you could also switch between realms although, personally, I prefer this new CE, cause it only has this one switch: or normal realm, or ghost-realm. Good. Keeps things comprehensible.

The story isn't one we haven't had before, but the voice-overs are excellent and the ghostly vagueness is very well done.

A different, playworthy game, if you ask me.

I'lld suggest to give it a fair try. The game certainly deserves it.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 15, 11 3:14 AM
This review is based on the trial version, which took me exactly an hour to play:

I think this is a very cleverly done game.

The graphics, although they could have been better, are acceptable to me. Not too keen on the glaring light scenes in the mirror images, but the HOS (hidden object scenes) in them are very clear and objects are easy to find.

HOS in general, although some of them are a little crowded, are well done, with objects not hard to find.

There is a choice of system and custom cursor, and an option to tick a box for slower computers.

The game did not fill all of my widescreen monitor, but that doesn't bother me, because I am used to it, getting no widescreen with most games.

There is voice-over.

When you are done with an area, a sign comes up at the top, telling you that the "Area is cleared". I like that. Keeps me from sniffing around the ground and corners again and again, in case I may have missed something.

SLIGHT SPOILER

I said this was a cleverly done game, because I like the fact that you can get objects in the past, and then have to hide it, and get it back in the present.

I also like what you have to do with some of the paintings in order to get something done or get an object from the painting itself.

END OF SLIGHT SPOILER

I also like the mini games I have encountered in the trial version - they were different from the norm, and I managed to do them.

HINT and SKIP buttons fill quickly - always a plus.

I will be purchasing this game - I just don't know yet whether I will get the CE or SE, but I will buy this game.

ETA: Forgot to mention that I like the SG (strategy guide). You only get one line of instructions, but when you click on the sideways arrow, more info comes up. And then there are these little squares, which turn into a picture when you click on those.
The instructions on how to use the SG is at the bottom of the SG. Really liked it this way.

One last thing for those fishies who wonder if it only happens to them: When I click "Play" on the GM (game manager), the GM says bye-bye before the game starts - this happened with 2 other games as well), but the GM will reappear once you exit the game.

Edited on 12/15/2011 at 3:20:32 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 15, 11 3:24 AM
- Good graphics, a little dark may be.
- H0 clear and easy, you don't interact
- Mini games easy (up to now)
- Hint refills quickly and is quite useful, not only in the H0
- SG is not attractive at all, no pictures and no clues as for the length
- Usual ghost story
- You can travel through mirrors
- Music... had to turn it off, pretty loud and repetitive
- Could do without the voice overs

This game is something new to me, you find objects in a world and have to hide them in order to use them in another...couldn't sort that out without the SG I'm definitely not sure about buying this game, I fear it might get boring as the gameplay is pretty slow due to the back and forth thing.

ETA : Hi Valdy, you posted right before me ! Very good review

Edited on 12/15/2011 at 3:26:59 AM PST

[Post New]by Harlimom781 on Dec 15, 11 3:43 AM
I think that this game is different than many of the other hidden object games, and I like that. I love these types of games but sometimes it can become monotonous. This games brings something different and challenging. I would have to disagree with many of the negative comments - give it a chance!!

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

[Post New]by glb613 on Dec 15, 11 3:47 AM
I didn't find the graphics to be blurry at all. I wonder how many of the regular posters who have complaints about the graphics or the game not filling the entire screen are using notebook/laptop computers? Notebook computers have a small screen(15" or 17") and most have integrated graphics. Both will have a negative effect on what is seen. I have both a desktop and a notebook and rarely play **** games on the notebook because of the screen size.

Vallarina
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by Vallarina on Dec 15, 11 4:13 AM
I enjoyed the game. Yes the graphics were a bit dark but what can you expect in the dark realm? I played the demo and now am downloading the purchased game. It kept me interested in finding the next objective. I had no problem with the SG. It was very helpful, maybe I can follow directions better than some. I perfer the challenge of trying to figure out the directions instead of being told what to do.
Keep up the great work BFG and happy gaming fishies!!!!!!
Vallarina

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 15, 11 4:21 AM
Poutoule wrote:ETA : Hi Valdy, you posted right before me ! Very good review

'ello Poutoule... And right back at ya!

slotfish
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by slotfish on Dec 15, 11 4:33 AM
Valdy, when you give a review it always sharp,short ,and to the point. Thank You. I like that.

Edited on 12/15/2011 at 4:33:46 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 15, 11 4:39 AM
slotfish wrote:Valdy, when you give a review it always sharp,short ,and to the point. Thank You. I like that.

Thank you, Slotfish. Your compliment is very much appreciated.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Dec 15, 11 5:24 AM
I like this game. Like entering the realms of the past, hog scenes are not overly cluttered, and most things are placed well. Puzzles have been fun, so far, and I have yet to check the strategy guide, as the hint button works really well. I love that it tells you you have cleared an area. I know there are some who don't care about this aspect, and I don't know if it does that on the more challenging modes. Most of the time, I have a lot of things going on in life, and I play these games more for fun and relaxation, an escape for a bit, if you will, so don't care for overly frustrating games. One of these days, I may go back and replay all of the games on the harder level, but for the moment, I don't mind the sparkles. Voice overs are good, music is playing low in the background, and I like the graphics. I love hiding things and finding them later, lol. It does fill my wide screen in a letter box mode, and it hasn't bothered me at all.

I seldom play games on my laptop, either...much easier to see items on my larger pc screen...but my grandsons don't have any problem playing games on the laptop. But of course, they also play games on their ipods, and their eyes are much younger ones than mine

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Dec 15, 11 5:38 AM
Short version: Played the demo but then gave up. VERY slick looking game with nice animations and a brilliant difficulty customisation tool. A nice ghost world mechanic. Unfortunately the story is vague and waffly so I won't be buying.

Long version: Usually I rabbit on about the writing but I don't have too much to say here. Either you like ghost stories with cryptic pronouncements instead of actual details or you don't. If you play a lot of games on here you're bound to know whether that's your kind of thing or not by now! Unfortunately it isn't mine. The writing is competent, inasmuch as there are no mistakes as far as I can see but the vague waffle in place of actual story details and explanations is very offputting for me. My rule is "no buy without an original and interesting story" and I'm sticking to it!

I must confess I found the first review a bit baffling. I'd almost suspect there was a display issue. On my computer the graphics are really very nice, some of the nicest in a while. Really slick and with lots of animations including a fancy announcement when you enter a room for the first time. The voiceovers are good as well, although the dialogue lets the actors down as usual.

The main gameplay gimmick is that you can use mirrors to enter the ghost world but any items you find there can't be brought back: you have to hide them somewhere and then recover them in the real world. This is a nice mechanic, but because of the lack of explanation I mentioned earlier, I had difficulty getting behind it. WHY do I have to hide these items? Because the game says so? It just seems very arbitrary and unsatisfying.

The best new feature is the customisable difficulty level. You can change lots of aspects to suit your personal needs, and I'd be surprised if there wasn't a setting to please everyone. You might have to experiment a bit to see what each one does but it will be well worth it. All developers should consider adding this feature (with one caveat, but I'm going to start a separate post about that)!

All in all, a very good example of this kind of game. If you don't mind these sorts of ghost stories then I think you'll like it!

Edited on 12/15/2011 at 5:59:09 AM PST

Go to: