bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Dec 17, 11 12:22 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of The Secret Order: New Horizon? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond and you can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the The Secret Order: New Horizon page here.

Have questions about our new reviews section? Please check this forum post and our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread. Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

 
Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Dec 17, 11 1:00 AM
One thing that I really liked was that you could adjust the brightness of the game right from the beginning--and that it told you could do that.

Unfortunately, I ran into trouble as soon as Mike and Sarah entered the restaurant. I got to the storeroom all right, and I could get out of the storeroom into the kitchen both before and after fixing the lights. But, despite hearing Mike being attacked, I couldn't leave the kitchen and storeroom area to heal him. I shuttled back and forth between the kitchen and the storeroom to see if there was some item that I was missing, but it was useless. The hint system just kept telling me that I needed to bandage Mike's wound. I would have been perfectly willing to do that if the cursor had just turned into a back-arrow and let me leave.

It looked like a decent game, although the storyline was basically an Expy of the Terminator movies. I just couldn't play it. And I wish I could have.

 
BFGJunkie
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by BFGJunkie on Dec 17, 11 1:43 AM
SPOILER

Edited on 12/17/2011 at 8:51:17 PM PST


 
cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 17, 11 1:53 AM
This is a very different but excellent game from a new developer (Sunward Games) that shows superb craftsmanship and attention to detail along with the exposition of an interesting and intelligent story.
From the beginning (prologue) you can see that a great amount of thought and care went into the making of this game. The main menu screen is excellently done and is a harbinger of what's coming. The "play", "options", "credits", and "exit" are cleverly placed on the screen so that you know to get your thinking caps on tight.
The game opens in a beautiful widescreen presentation (pay attention other devs).
As the game begins you are caught up in a time travel mystery that will require the finding of 5 (I think) rings to correct the misadventures of a nefarious group of bad guys. So you immediately play a few scenes to familiarize yourself with the game play mechanics before the actual search begins. During this part you will see the beautifully done graphics, the ease of control, the well done hidden object scenes, and the interesting puzzles-all of these elements are very nicely done. And you are given a communicator that lists your objectives and gives you a useful map.
By looking at the walkthrough (thanks BF) you can see that the game will be quite long and a good challenge.
I love all the monsters and haunted house they can throw out there and games like this that feature the fantastic (time travel) fit right in. Great, great game that makes the CE offering from night before last look absolutely pale in comparison. An excellent buy from a new dev very much worth our support!


Edited for spelling


Edited on 12/17/2011 at 2:05:54 AM PST


 
jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by jkuci on Dec 17, 11 2:03 AM

I love a gritty SF story and this is an excellent HOG/adventure as well!

I had no technical problems with the demo, the tasks are pretty clear and the HOS are interactive as well as mostly relevant to the story progression.

Big positive: you can adjust the screen brightness!

The other options includes cursor choice as well as the usual music, environment and volume sliders. No voices, music is not distracting.

A big BUY for me!!


 

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by heatherington on Dec 17, 11 2:22 AM
This is by Sunward Games, world of warcraft, which is why us Hidden Object fiends don't recognize the name. I hope they do more of these games. I found the hidden object scenes clear and interactive, I did not need my magnifying glass. I had no trouble exiting the kitchen to find Mike after I got the first aid kit. The navigation arrows are small, but you CAN see them. I like that you get more than one item after you complete the hidden object scene. I would use an abbrevation for hidden object, but BF won't let you. I thought the can opener was very cool. This is a logical game in that most puzzles followed a logical course and I had no trouble with anything except the puzzle that you needed to do to get the book. Without some idea of what the thing looked like I couldn't very well put it together or have any idea when I was getting close or anything. I am buying this, Big Time!

 
CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by CasualGran on Dec 17, 11 2:33 AM
Goodday fishies!

If you've watched the 'Terminator' movies, you'll probably feel on familiar ground with this game. Someone travels from the future to the time of the main character (= you) to warn for certain bad guys and give the first two of helpfull objects to outsmart them. After that he leaves again, but keeps contact by means of a certain device. And then the struggle against the world-threatening evil begins!

Graphics look good and fill my widescreen, although with black bars on top and bottom.
Objects are easy to spot, certainly so in the interactive H0 scenes.
Minigames are pleasantly challenging and can be skipped.
This game even offers the opportunity to brighten up screens, a feature with which a number of fishies will be pleased I'm sure.

A good game, worth to be played.

3 out of 5 to me.

(... and I can even buy this one, thanks to a generous fishie-friend )

 
brewcan1
Guppy
Guppy
189 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by brewcan1 on Dec 17, 11 3:05 AM
CasualGran wrote:Goodday fishies!

If you've watched the 'Terminator' movies, you'll probably feel on familiar ground with this game. Someone travels from the future to the time of the main character (= you) to warn for certain bad guys and give the first two of helpfull objects to outsmart them. After that he leaves again, but keeps contact by means of a certain device. And then the struggle against the world-threatening evil begins!

Graphics look good and fill my widescreen, although with black bars on top and bottom.
Objects are easy to spot, certainly so in the interactive H0 scenes.
Minigames are pleasantly challenging and can be skipped.
This game even offers the opportunity to brighten up screens, a feature with which a number of fishies will be pleased I'm sure.

A good game, worth to be played.

3 out of 5 to me.

(... and I can even buy this one, thanks to a generous fishie-friend )



TNX 4 great review CG

 
edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Dec 17, 11 3:30 AM
i betaed this one,and the work is now better than the beta i played!that is a good thing!
even if the story is not my cup of tea,the game is well done now and i think fishes 'ld give it a try
seems to be long enough,and the demo tooks me 55 mn to be finished(average gamer,took my time for watching around)
not very colourful,but well matched with the subject
good graphics,music not disturbing but no voices
some sort of pda which help with little map in it
i think a good game to play even if i'm not so enthusiastic than Cbtx!
worth a coupon!

 
Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 17, 11 4:21 AM
I am probably the odd one out when I say that I didn't enjoy the demo - only played for 50 minutes, got stuck at the construction site, and had to leave the game.

I almost deleted the game again after the shock I got when I entered the first HOS (hidden object scene). The graphics were terrible, and the colours were mainly different shades of grey. I had to use my magnifying glass in order to identify most of the objects. Also, a lot of items you need to find were more or less unidentifiable (those in the fridge are a good example).

The graphics got a little better in the open scenes, but not much. They are grainy and look very old-fashioned to me.

The HINT button is very unhelpful outside of the HOS. It shows and tells you the obvious instead of pointing in the right direction or giving you hints as to what you should do next. As I said, I got stuck at the construction site and everywhere else I went once I got outside of the restaurant.

There is a map, but you can't use it to jump.

There is a choice of system and custom cursor.

There is NO voice-over.

The game did NOT fill my widescreen laptop.

This is a HOPA (hidden object puzzle adventure), but not the kind I have seen and enjoyed lately. I was bored throughout the 50 minutes I played the game, and didn't enjoy the graphics either. So for me it's definitely not a buy. Wouldn't even get it as a DD, but I am sure that lots of adventure gamers will love this game.

ETA: And about being able to adjust the brightness... Big deal. I do this manually all the time with games. All I have to do is press the Fn and F5 buttons for less brightness and Fn and F6 buttons for more brightness - depending on the game and scenes. Don't really need this extra option in the Option section.

Edited on 12/17/2011 at 4:40:20 AM PST


 
lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by lovely62 on Dec 17, 11 4:30 AM
I really did enjoy this game, Dev's and this game is a work of art and i love the sounds..I will buy this game..Keep up the hard work DEV's..Your game is awesome..

 
SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Dec 17, 11 4:37 AM
Sunward Games have produced an interesting & gritty story although some of the gameplay is a bit clunky (e.g in an early screen you have to follow a specific order of items from the first aid kit but I completed this only by luck as when I followed the order it seemed that some items didn’t do anything).

The graphics are really superb on my monitor in the main scenes but the hidden object scenes are rather grainy & all one colour which makes it difficult to find smaller objects. The artwork is very beautiful. If you find the screen quite dark you can adjust the brightness in the options screen.

You are visited by your nephew from the future & he gives you a communicator so when he returns to his time you can still keep in contact,if you click on the cross at the top right this device gives you a task list & a non-interactive map. A little way into the game you find a codex which gives the background story & you have to find 5 rings which belonged to The Order of the Griffin to save the city.

The hint button recharges in around 30 seconds but it is not very helpful; it just points at your next task but no hint as to how to solve it. However the gameplay is not too hard so you can figure out what to do.

There is only one mode of play so there will be sparkles, the H0 scenes have interactive objects to add interest & there are some fun, not too difficult, mini puzzles to solve. This is a definite buy for me.


 
Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Dec 17, 11 4:40 AM
cbtx wrote:This is a very different but excellent game from a new developer (Sunward Games) that shows superb craftsmanship and attention to detail along with the exposition of an interesting and intelligent story.
From the beginning (prologue) you can see that a great amount of thought and care went into the making of this game. The main menu screen is excellently done and is a harbinger of what's coming. The "play", "options", "credits", and "exit" are cleverly placed on the screen so that you know to get your thinking caps on tight.
The game opens in a beautiful widescreen presentation (pay attention other devs).
As the game begins you are caught up in a time travel mystery that will require the finding of 5 (I think) rings to correct the misadventures of a nefarious group of bad guys. So you immediately play a few scenes to familiarize yourself with the game play mechanics before the actual search begins. During this part you will see the beautifully done graphics, the ease of control, the well done hidden object scenes, and the interesting puzzles-all of these elements are very nicely done. And you are given a communicator that lists your objectives and gives you a useful map.
By looking at the walkthrough (thanks BF) you can see that the game will be quite long and a good challenge.
I love all the monsters and haunted house they can throw out there and games like this that feature the fantastic (time travel) fit right in. Great, great game that makes the CE offering from night before last look absolutely pale in comparison. An excellent buy from a new dev very much worth our support!


Edited for spelling



Good, detailed review, thank you! I was intriqued by the screenshots and game synopsis. The graphics in those shots looked very good. I'll be back (Arnold voice) later to add a brief review based on the demo.

 
tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by tj1147 on Dec 17, 11 4:57 AM
Review from playing demo:

Not really sure about this game yet. The story is certainly different. I like the black and white cut scenes. Voices would be great though! The graphics look good but are a bit grainy or "muted" in some of the H0 scenes...takes a bit of time to find some of the objects. But some, such as in the refrigerator, etc. are quite "drawn" and not lifelike, and it is sometimes a bit difficult to know exactly what I need to find will look like (some "true to life" graphics interspersed with "drawn" ones throughout the demo). I do really like interaction in the H0 scenes! Navigation from area to area is accomplished with arrows. The hints are not really very helpful except in the H0 scenes. I am having a bit of difficulty with the "map" although the task list is quite helpful. (Lets me know what to do next but no "hints" about how to accomplish it.) I did one particular puzzle and lined up exactly what was needed but the game didn't recognize I completed it so I had to skip the puzzle to continue the game. Overall, puzzles weren't too difficult thus far.

I think I would like the game...I progressed into chapter 4 ( out of 8) during the demo, but that certainly doesn't indicate total game length as some chapters can be longer (or shorter) than others. By looking at the indicator on the scroll bar in the walk-through, it is about 1/3 of the way down.

Will give it a bit more thought and read some more reviews before I decide...

 
Trigger51
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by Trigger51 on Dec 17, 11 5:19 AM
I have to agree with Valdy. The game could have been much better.

I got stuck, with no indication of what to do. Hints were no help. Just pointed to the gate, for example, when I knew what I needed, but couldn't find it. Graphics were mixed - very clear sometimes, and grainy other times. Some objects to find were unidentifiable.

Some logic problems: SPOILER: The site says to be careful because of the alarm system, but then I can use the excavator to create a hole. And when I click on the hole, it says it's too dark. That's where I thought I was stuck. The walkthrough says use the ladder. ????

On the one-way turnstile, it says to use the color code wrenches in the right order. I don't have them yet.


I think I will pass.

 
Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Dec 17, 11 5:36 AM
Pepper010 wrote:
cbtx wrote:This is a very different but excellent game from a new developer (Sunward Games) that shows superb craftsmanship and attention to detail along with the exposition of an interesting and intelligent story. (CLIP)


Good, detailed review, thank you! I was intriqued by the screenshots and game synopsis. The graphics in those shots looked very good. I'll be back (Arnold voice) later to add a brief review based on the demo.


ETA: Simply put, do not miss this game. The graphics are artwork quality. The game itself is laid out logically. It has a good story line, and one that progresses smoothly.

Play the tutorial when it's offered. It's short, efficient, and ensures that you understand the game's mechanics. Again, I have to use the word "logic" because this game is logical, from how the game works to where you find hidden objects. For example, you don't find a baton dangling from the sky, you find it in a reasonable place in an old wrecked police car.

The controls give options that should suit everyone. If you find that the early scenes are too dark for you, simply brighten the game from the controls. If you're one of those folks, like me, whose eyes are sensitive to too much brightness, then you can control it to ensure you find a balance that's comfortable.

The story line is beguiling. It offers a sense of gritty noir combined with an elegance in the art that will take your breath away--especially when you move to the first time travel scene. The change between the two scenes really shows off the design and graphics work.

I bought the game at 18 minutes in and wanted to do so faster. However, I wanted to try out the game before reviewing it here to report on hints (recharge quickly), interaction with game elements (easy), navigation (well laid out and simple) and the flow of the game (seamless and so realistic that you're drawn in quickly).

This game is an eipcurean delight. It's head and shoulders above the cookie cutter games, and it's design, gameplay, and story are extraordinarily well executed. it's a smart game with style.

Edited on 12/17/2011 at 5:42:56 AM PST


 

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Dec 17, 11 5:37 AM
Wow, I found this a great game! It's different and I like it. The most games looks the same.

This game is the first from Sunward. I hope they are coming with more games. I enjoyed very much!

Good work, Sunward Games!

 
care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by care___916 on Dec 17, 11 5:46 AM
I also liked this game and a nice change of storyline.

The graphics are mostly great and clear then some scenes are really fuzzy and small not very consistent. I liked the style of this game something new for me.

The hint button didn’t really help when lost but thank goodness for me the walkthrough was great!!

Would have loved voices. On my way to purchase. Can’t wait for another game from these devs.

Happy game day

Just finished game and WOW loved it. Really enjoyed the new objects to find and not a feather insight. Mini games were new to me and really fun.

Give this game a try...

Edited on 12/17/2011 at 8:55:09 AM PST


 
Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Dec 17, 11 5:58 AM
Pepper010 wrote:ETA: Simply put, do not miss this game. The graphics are artwork quality. The game itself is laid out logically. It has a good story line, and one that progresses smoothly.

Play the tutorial when it's offered. It's short, efficient, and ensures that you understand the game's mechanics. Again, I have to use the word "logic" because this game is logical, from how the game works to where you find hidden objects. For example, you don't find a baton dangling from the sky, you find it in a reasonable place in an old wrecked police car.

The controls give options that should suit everyone. If you find that the early scenes are too dark for you, simply brighten the game from the controls. If you're one of those folks, like me, whose eyes are sensitive to too much brightness, then you can control it to ensure you find a balance that's comfortable.

The story line is beguiling. It offers a sense of gritty noir combined with an elegance in the art that will take your breath away--especially when you move to the first time travel scene. The change between the two scenes really shows off the design and graphics work.

I bought the game at 18 minutes in and wanted to do so faster. However, I wanted to try out the game before reviewing it here to report on hints (recharge quickly), interaction with game elements (easy), navigation (well laid out and simple) and the flow of the game (seamless and so realistic that you're drawn in quickly).

This game is an eipcurean delight. It's head and shoulders above the cookie cutter games, and it's design, gameplay, and story are extraordinarily well executed. it's a smart game with style.

I agree completely with Pepper010. This game is quite different!

Everyone else has already given details on the game's mechanics and options, so I will only add that even though I didn't think at first that I would enjoy this gritty modern story set in a dangerous city, I quickly got caught up in the story line! Well made, simple to use items, and I didn't find the h.o. scenes difficult. Hints are useless, but it's easy to figure out the logical progression of what you need to do. The map is helpful even if you cannot use it to jump.

I had just reached the point where I had picked up some dynamite - in my hand, and was attempting to attach it to a pole, when the demo ended and I said "Oh Mannnnn! Not now, let me finish!" So I will certainly be using my last PCC on this game. Thanks, Devs and BFG!

 
Shastanna
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Secret Order: New Horizon

[Post New]by Shastanna on Dec 17, 11 6:03 AM
Hi Rhysdux and BFGjunkie,

Would you mind please editing your posts so that it warns of a "Spoiler alert"?

Thank you!

 
 
 
 
Go to: