textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Comments for Royal Envoy 2 Collector's Edition

[Post New]by textrekkie on Dec 18, 11 2:46 AM
A place for your comments about the game.

looloopy
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

Re:Comments for Royal Envoy 2 Collector's Edition

[Post New]by looloopy on Dec 18, 11 5:32 AM
brilliant game. beautifully crafted,clever,funny and very addictive. buy, buy, buy!!!!
i couldnt wait and bought from the devs and am dealing with them over tech probs spoiling the game but it still cant stop me playing. i wonder if i should purchase again from BF, as i so desperately want to enjoy the game fully. any advice out there would be welcome as i am prepared to buy again if necessary.

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Dec 18, 11 7:18 AM
I just wish it was better balanced. The bank, for example, is far too cheap, so there's no thought required over whether you should save up for it.

Like a lot of these TMs, I found it actually got a lot easier as the game went one, because the developers hadn't thought about the optimal way to play their own game (some of the tips on the loading screen actually give BAD advice, if you look at the costs of the buildings).

I felt the same way about My Kingdom for the Princess. The developers clearly had a way they THOUGHT it should be played, but they hadn't mitigated for people trying something different. The end result there was that by the end I was beating the "Developers Record" on 90% of the levels. I doubt that's me being superhuman! Rather they didn't put enough thought into tweaking the design.

This is better, but it still feels like the building prices and time cycles on the buildings were picked because they're nice round numbers, rather than because they wanted to strategically balance things.

EDIT: I played it for a bit more, and it turns out the prices of all the buildings change from world to world (It would be nice if they told you before the level started!) so my initial complaint is less valid. I still don't think it's properly balanced though: having an extra worker or two and clicking like mad outweighs optimising your building strategy considerably.

Edited on 12/19/2011 at 6:05:36 AM PST

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 18, 11 7:54 AM
Have you tried the original Royal Envoy, SMC? I haven't played this one yet, but I'm going to guess I'll still prefer the original, I thought it was the perfect game and I'm sorry to hear they changed so many things in this one.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Dec 18, 11 9:29 AM
This game is so frustrating even with a walkthrough. I do not enjoy clicking at warp speed. I like games you can play at your pace, not this. I hope the people who enjoy these types of games have fun.

grabit2
Squid
Squid
75 Posts

[Post New]by grabit2 on Dec 18, 11 1:48 PM
mm.. yes.. i loved the first one of these, but this one seems to have gone backwards.. i don't like the way resources are dumped onscreen to click on, where are the tax collectors? or haven't i played enough of the game to get those yet? the resources are not a good look either - the cutouts with all the white around them look very amateurish.. what a shame. i jumped on this game remembering how much i liked the last one, bought it immediately, and maybe i shouldn't have... i too like games i can play at my own pace..

could we hope for a remake patch? please?

Edited on 12/18/2011 at 1:49:25 PM PST

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Dec 18, 11 2:05 PM
grabit2 wrote:mm.. yes.. i loved the first one of these, but this one seems to have gone backwards.. i don't like the way resources are dumped onscreen to click on, where are the tax collectors? or haven't i played enough of the game to get those yet? the resources are not a good look either - the cutouts with all the white around them look very amateurish.. what a shame. i jumped on this game remembering how much i liked the last one, bought it immediately, and maybe i shouldn't have... i too like games i can play at my own pace..

could we hope for a remake patch? please?

they wont..the beta was the same,,and the release date was pushed back, we thought they were changing back,,,but they didnt

NZBloke
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by NZBloke on Dec 19, 11 12:39 AM
It says you get extra gameplay. How much extra do you get in the collectors edition? Enough to give up another game with the extra credit? Wondering whether to wait for the normal game...

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 19, 11 1:51 AM
NZBloke wrote:It says you get extra gameplay. How much extra do you get in the collectors edition? Enough to give up another game with the extra credit? Wondering whether to wait for the normal game...

There are 30 bonus levels in the CE. As with the first RE, you earn so many gold stars which unlocks the next batch of levels. I found the bonus levels more fun than the main game! Be warned though; the later levels consist of mostly frantic clicking to pick up resources. By the time you get through these, you're worn out!!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Dec 19, 11 1:55 AM
looloopy wrote:brilliant game. beautifully crafted,clever,funny and very addictive. buy, buy, buy!!!!
i couldnt wait and bought from the devs and am dealing with them over tech probs spoiling the game but it still cant stop me playing. i wonder if i should purchase again from BF, as i so desperately want to enjoy the game fully. any advice out there would be welcome as i am prepared to buy again if necessary.

There was an issue with the original release from the devs. Level 25 of the challenges couldn't be completed as there wasn't enough wood. I wrote to the devs about this; they were aware of the problem and a new version was released. I was able to download it from them. As far as I'm aware, this was the only issue with the original release.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 19, 11 7:19 PM
shagwendy wrote: I haven't played this one yet, but I'm going to guess I'll still prefer the original, I thought it was the perfect game and I'm sorry to hear they changed so many things in this one.
I bought it and I'm slowly playing it, savoring it. So far I like the first one better, they seem to have dumbed this one down to me, but I have gone less than 20 levels. I miss the tax collectors and the 3 upgrades. There was timing involved there that I really enjoyed. I don't like clicking for wood and money, there was strategy before in where you placed your buildings because people had to travel there. I don't like the way they do the banks in this one, it's just too easy. And I believe it told me that only 1 bank counts, so there goes all that strategy. I keep wanting to sell wood in the market and it keeps giving me these dumb apples, one of the things I appreciated about Royal Envoy was that you didn't have to do any of that dumb food stuff, and lookie, here it is. I don't like any of the changes they've made to this game, and yet I still love the game. a dumbed down Royal Envoy 2 is way better than no Royal Envoy 2 at all. That stupid music starts playing and I'm hooked. Let me do just one more town. Well that didn't work, maybe I'll just play that one over just one more time. Almost had gold, let me try just once more.....did it, got gold, let's take a peak at the next town before I go to bed so I can think about it overnight. Well, let me take a quick try with this thing I thought of. Oh, dammit, it's 3 in the morning...

ZuluDawn13
Guppy
Guppy
127 Posts

[Post New]by ZuluDawn13 on Dec 19, 11 8:12 PM
I am so disappointed with this follow up game.

I had been so thrilled to see the RE2 and so sad once I played it.

I have the first SE and CE I really enjoyed those. But what has happened?

The things I found I did NOT enjoy were:

1. Same houses, buildings, voices which made the same comments as previous games - the devs could have expanded on those.

2. Increased clicking of the silly big money coins and wood - each time

3. The 'find your way out" with the wood maze was just plain frustrating.

4. No choice between Casual, Relaxed or Hard Modes for a CE that's not good.

5. Definately not CE Value

6. I love TM games but this long awaited game for me was a real let down..

paula3522
Guppy
Guppy
146 Posts

[Post New]by paula3522 on Dec 19, 11 9:05 PM
I am also disappointed in this new game. I absolutely LOVED the first one, played it over and over. In my opinion this one did not match up to the first. I would of liked the same sort of game play as the first even with just different atmospheres.

[Post New]by sheilamilo on Dec 19, 11 9:55 PM
I'm with shagwendy - LOVE it! I started playing, and the next thing I knew it was many hours later. Reading the reviews had me worried, but it's still really fun and functions just a bit differently from RE (different cast members, banks act differently, collecting is done by you vs a tax collector,...).

So far I'm 15 levels through the expert setting, then I'll start working on the !30! bonus levels!

I appreciate that you can skip the snowball fight. It was fun, but my poor finger doesn't want to do more of them

RE is my most re-played game, and I think RE2 will be there with it. Thanks!

[Post New]by gameprofile on Dec 19, 11 10:04 PM
I loved the first game. I have played it repeatedly and enjoyed it every time. This new game lacks the charm and the sense of humor that the first one had. Like many have said before me, this is not a fitting follow up to "Royal Envoy". So, it's a no buy for me. I was so excited to see a new RE and so disappointed in it.

[Post New]by MsShadowPanther on Dec 27, 11 11:59 PM
I think it's a pretty cool game!! I have RE and now RE2!! I am happy they changed it up!! to me it's more of a challenge!! I just have one problem with it - level 48 I have 3 stars on everything else and even though my screen shows 3 stars on level 48 when the final tally rolls in it gives me 2 stars !! but other than that I ENJOYED playing it and yeah like the rest of the people I stayed up hours playing it!!

Cacee5
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by Cacee5 on Jan 7, 12 5:32 AM
Hate, Hate, Hate the stupid guy making the stupid comments as you play. He is just plain annoying and you can't turn him off unless you mute all the sound. They should have kept things the way they were in RE1 but gave us different challenges. I also dislike clicking on the food and money. I agree where are the tax collectors?

I also did what most of you did which was bought it without playing because I loved the first version so much.

dakini
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by dakini on Sep 8, 12 2:09 AM
Finally out for Mac and I was so thrilled. but after reading the comments, hmmmm! I'm gold so far in the demo but the junk piles of supplies is just annoying. But the CE has the 30 extra levels and I love this kind of game. I'll have to think about this some.

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Dec 26, 12 8:03 PM
OMG I AM SHOCKED that you guys think its not enough.
In fact....I would say that absolutely - unequivocally - this game has more replay value
more gameplay hours
more everything than most games.

I kid you not. More than nearly all others. I havent found much good to say about any of the games I've played lately, I really have not. Then I found RE2. I liked it so much that i bought the CE *after* I bought & finished the regular version. And the CE has such an incredibly large # of things in it....I have been playing for weeks & weeks & weeks, I dont even know how long its been at this point.

To quote Edward Cullen from Twilight, "awhile".
I wish they had the thing where you could upgrade each house 3 times still...IDK why but that feel left out this time. Actually, the main negative I can think of in this game is the apples. Ugh, the apples!

I only mention my little obsession with Royal Envoy 2 again, after having posted about it before, because right here in this very topic 2 people had commented that they thought the 1st game was better and I just *had* to chime in that not everyone feels that way & to try to tell others to give it a chance IF FOR NO OTHER REASON THAN THIS:

THIS GAME HAS GOT SOME SERIOUS # OF LEVELS!!! I can not tell you how much I have wanted this out of a game for a long, long time. UGH I know there is probably one guy out there somewhere who has read posts by me & thinks i'm an insane maniac crazy person for constantly saying this all the time, but for me its a HUGE issue. It is absolutely my #1 consideration in choosing a game!

Heck, there have been times when I think I'd just as soon play a long mediocre game than a short great game. Yes actually I think I'd rather do that all the time, now that I've typed that out. Just because for me, the disappointment of beating a game in just 2-3 hours is just unequalled. Do you know that computer games used to be able to be played for 3, 4, 5 times longer than what the ones out these days are lasting?

Yes they did. We need to make them stop this. Somehow - we've got to demand that more games be like Royal Envoy 2 CE.

Go to: