bfgKenai
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

Reviews for Christmas Tales: Fellina's Journey

[Post New]by bfgKenai on Dec 20, 11 12:20 AM
Hi Fishies!

We’d love to hear what you think of Christmas Tales: Fellina's Journey; your reviews are very important to us and to other Fishies. And now you’re more than welcomed to post your thoughts about this game right from the Christmas Tales: Fellina's Journey page over Here!

For more information about our Game Reviews, please click here.

Once you’ve submitted your review, please feel free to come back and re-post your thoughts in this thread. Remember, a lot of people who will be reading these reviews haven’t played this game yet, so if you’re posting any spoilers, please be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

You can also specify if you played the game from the trial version or the full version and on which level you ended your game play, so that other players can get more out of this discussion !

If you are experiencing technical issues with this game, remember to check out the support thread for this game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!
bfgKenai

Edited on 12/20/2011 at 12:22:08 AM PST

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

Re:Reviews for Christmas Tales: Fellina's Journey

[Post New]by govols2 on Dec 20, 11 12:30 AM
I wanted to like this one since Christmas is so close but unfortunately I did not. Review based on about 20 minutes of play.

Picture did not fill the screen

Although there was voiceovers for the intro, the guy sounded like a computer. I could not tell what accent he had but definately sounded like an automated recording.

Choice of casual or advanced(or something like that). I chose advanced. There were no sparkles but I was told exactly what to do every step of the way.

The dialogue was not translated very well.

The HOG scenes are decent. Some of the objects were very well hidden.

The music got on my nerves real quick but I don't usually listen to the music anyways.

The cursor moved very slow, like it was trying to stick. I don't remember if there was an option to turn the game cursor off or not.

kirjushyk
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by kirjushyk on Dec 20, 11 12:50 AM
I like this Christmas atmosphere

[Post New]by DarkStarsD on Dec 20, 11 12:56 AM
Me and my wife liked the game. We will buy the game for our children. Classic game at Christmas with a very Interestingly graphics and music.

Edited on 12/20/2011 at 1:01:36 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Dec 20, 11 1:16 AM

Very nicely rendered seasonal graphics and a charming story. The introductory voice over is not great but not horrible either. The music is nicely seasonal, as well but I had to turn it down pretty far or it became distracting.

There is an option to turn off the custom cursor but I found I lost a bit of the functionality when I did that so, I went back and turn the custom cursor back on.

No technical problems.

Pleasant Christmas HOG/adventure with interactive H0 scene objects.

tatsu1952
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by tatsu1952 on Dec 20, 11 1:22 AM
The developers are Brabl (I think that's how you spell it) - a new one to me. The game downloaded with no problems, but the custom cursor was so slow, I had to turn it off. The voice intro was weird to say the least - sounded like it was from an old LP record that was running down, and spoken by someone with loose false teeth
Without the custom cursor, you have no idea what to click on (the custom cursor changes to a mitten or a magnifying glass) - this maybe be standard for all games, but I've never had a cursor problem before, so I don't know.
Now to my all time, number one pet peeve - does anyone check these games for spelling and grammar errors? Seriously, if you're going to all the trouble of developing a game, the very least you can do is check it over so that it makes sense to your English speaking buyers. I'm not asking for Tolstoy here - just some basic, commonsense
It is now my policy not to buy games that have this haphazard approach to basic grammar and spelling. If the developers (or Big Fish) can't be bothered to check a game, then I can't be bothered buying it. Simple as that.

Tatsu

P.S. I have never heard of a whale being called a grampus before - had to look that one up in the dictionary
Edited to add that Brabl also put out 'The Lost City - Chapter One'.

Edited on 12/20/2011 at 1:24:03 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 20, 11 1:30 AM
This review is based on the full trial version, which took me 50 minutes to play:

There is no voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There are 2 play modes.

There is no widescreen for me.

The graphics are quite good, and the HOS (hidden object scenes) are nicely done, and objects are easy enough to find.

The HINT and SKIP buttons fill quickly.

There was only one puzzle I had to play in the entire trial.

There are supposed to be rewards for finishing HOS without leaving in between, and which are supposed to be useful later on.

There are quite a lot of HOS, which are interactive - so those fishies who like more or less straight HOGs, this is the game for you.

A lot of words are misspelled and quite a few objects have names that might be in the original language of Brabl Game Studios, i.e. Grampus (whale), and Strobile (pinecone).

This is a very nice (if somewhat childish) Christmas HOG, and if it weren't for the many misspelled words and wrongly named items, I may have bought the game. As it is, I will give it a miss.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Dec 20, 11 1:34 AM
I love this game, very beautifully done . I don't care about spelling errors, etc, it's a game after all, I see lots of spelling errors in the forums, lol! I for one will be buying this little beauty, nice change from match 3's Christmas games. For all that love this game. enjoy! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year Everyone!

Orome
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
8 Posts

[Post New]by Orome on Dec 20, 11 1:36 AM
I love this Christmas spirit, good graphics and music. Merry Christmas Everyone

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Dec 20, 11 1:44 AM
This played without a problem and it has some real nice attributes. Very colorful and pleasant graphics, especially in the HOS. I really liked the music during the trial.

The custom cursor is pretty necessary in order to see it change for areas where you need to search. The HOS have multiple zoom-in areas with a couple of items in each little zoomed area. As others have mentioned, there will be some item names not familiar to all of us around the world. There is some interaction required in some HOS as well as locating and using inventory items to advance the story.

I got stuck trying to find one inventory-type item and finally just gave up. In my situation, for that item, the Hint Button was spectacularly unhelpful! All it would do is tell me what I needed -- but I already knew that -- I just couldn't find it. Even after 10 attempts to get a better hint, still the same "you need to find the _____".

I'm not so positive about this for younger kids The storyline is Santa being frozen by the Icy Elf. I wouldn't want any little eyes to see the frozen Santa in the opening scene, but maybe I'll be the only one who feels that way. The good elves (I think) come to find the only little girl who, if I got the words right: "has never been bad" so only she can save Santa.

While the graphics and the music were real high points for me, I didn't enjoy the gameplay and getting that stuck with an un-helpful hint button just won't do it for me.

I hope others enjoy it.

Edited on 12/20/2011 at 1:47:58 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Dec 20, 11 2:03 AM
I like this game, and think it's completely charming and endearing. It is on the simplistic side for advanced player's. But sometime's it's nice to have an easier game. The graphics are really great and beautiful. It does Not have Widescreen/Voiceover's through out the game. It does have voiceover's in the opening scene. Even tho this game is on the easier side for advanced player's, I think it's completely worth buying. Thank you and developers for a charming and sweet game for the holiday season. What a breath of fresh air. This is a must have IMO.

I rate this game: "PIGLET"
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)
eited for spelling

Edited on 12/20/2011 at 4:48:46 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 20, 11 2:13 AM
Well, for all those who asked for a Christmas-themed game---here you go, such as it is.
It's a perfect example of what could have been----falls way short in many areas such as control, senseless and silly story, repetitive hidden object scenes (all have 2 "hidden areas" with 2 secret items), poor hint system when out of the hidden object scenes, very poor voice-over the one time I heard it (could not understand a thing), and apparently very, very short (halfway done in the trial according to the walkthrough).
But the graphics are quite pretty with lots of Christmas items amongst the guns and knives(seriously!).
Overall, it looks like it was slapped together pretty quick for a Christmas offering which of course won't sell much after the season. And some of it (Santa's kidnapping, the weapons interspersed in the scenes) make it unacceptable for kids. And no widescreen option. A pretty poor effort in my opinion.
I would recommend "Twisted: A Haunted Carol" as an alternative for a Christmas-themed game, but, of course try it for yourself and see but this one is just a filler, nothing more.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 20, 11 2:15 AM
And Grampus was not a spelling error. I looked it up on dictionary dot com and grampus is an orca/whale. so that was not one I forgot the other word but I am sure that isn't an error either.

This is a very delightful game. Kudos to Brabl.

Game Play: Is truly like any other H0G. find objects and get one to continue on with the game.

Music: I am enjoying the soundtrack. Especially the Nutcracker Suite.

Haven't hit any mini games yet.

The story so far is different and yes I will purchase this one. Truly a joy to play.

Graphics: Totally beautiful. H0G scenes very easy on the eyes no matter what age

Edited on 12/20/2011 at 2:23:02 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Dec 20, 11 2:32 AM
sassylassie wrote:And Grampus was not a spelling error. I looked it up on dictionary dot com and grampus is an orca/whale. so that was not one I forgot the other word but I am sure that isn't an error either.

This is a very delightful game. Kudos to Brabl.

Game Play: Is truly like any other H0G. find objects and get one to continue on with the game.

Music: I am enjoying the soundtrack. Especially the Nutcracker Suite.

Haven't hit any mini games yet.

The story so far is different and yes I will purchase this one. Truly a joy to play.

Graphics: Totally beautiful. H0G scenes very easy on the eyes no matter what age

Yes, "grampus" and "strobile" are not common words but they are in the english dictionary...

Sparty94
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Sparty94 on Dec 20, 11 2:42 AM
This game has wonderful graphics, and an original story. The hidden object scenes were easy, for an adult, but with some archic item names more problematic for kids.The music was brilliant! I looked for a musical reference in the credits but found none.......too bad, besides the graphics was the best part of this game! The story was ok, until it's abrupt conclusion.

Would like to see more offerings. How about something from Charles Dickens? Am always looking for adult themed games......

dakini
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by dakini on Dec 20, 11 2:42 AM
Just played half an hour of the demo and I love it. The voice was a bit strange in the beginning but reminded me of dear friends for whom English is not their first language. Think Grampa from the frozen north telling a Christmas story.

I loved the music which changes often. Didn't know it was such an issue until I wasn't hearing the same theme over and over as in some other games we've had lately. Yes some of the words are not ones I know but seeing completely different objects in the H0's is wonderful. Sometimes I think the world must be filled with mittens knit from that ball of lavender, pink and aqua yarn. Also love the critters you need to find early on.

I stopped to do this review and see about some sleep and if it's short to give myself the opportunity to savor it. Happy Holidays!

Edited on 12/20/2011 at 2:43:52 AM PST

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Dec 20, 11 2:44 AM
after nutcracker suite,there is an accomodating of various theme like gold of the Rhine from R Wagner and some others;pleasant but repetitive
good graphics but don't fill the screen
some interactions in hidden objects scenes,but very much hidden objects
i have not seen anything disturbing for children they have not seen before on TV in worse
i think it is worth a try for those who love christmas and candies,and all that kind of fairy tales
beautiful and pleasant as a W Disney product but you can understand that it is not my cup of tea,even if i see the quality !
so,give it a try!
for the word i don't find in my dictionnary,the cursor was helpful!

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Dec 20, 11 3:13 AM
I am surprised by all the negative comments also. I enjoyed this game although I finished the demo with 24 mins left to spare. As someone else had noted, if you like a lot of **** scenes, this is the game for you. There were plenty! I loved the music - it was very nicely done. I don't remember the voiceover's , maybe I skipped them. I don't care any which way about voiceovers in a game anyway. They don't bother me. The gameplay was fairly easy to follow along with. The graphics were very good. I'd wish they would give you more time on the demo though. I felt kind of cheated and disappointed when it ended. Maybe it's a short game, I didn't check that out yet. All in all I would rate this a 9 out of 10 and very fitting for the season.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Dec 20, 11 3:32 AM
My goodness, I can't believe some people are complaining about this game. It's gorgeous! The graphics are so rich and the devs have paid so much attention to detail and made everything so sumptuous. I had a big grin on my face all the way through the demo. I was so charmed. It's utterly lovely.

All those who have been begging BF for a Christmas game must be even more delighted than I am, and I'm pretty delighted.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 20, 11 3:55 AM
cbtx wrote:Well, for all those who asked for a Christmas-themed game---here you go, such as it is.
It's a perfect example of what could have been----falls way short in many areas such as control, senseless and silly story, repetitive hidden object scenes (all have 2 "hidden areas" with 2 secret items), poor hint system when out of the hidden object scenes, very poor voice-over the one time I heard it (could not understand a thing), and apparently very, very short (halfway done in the trial according to the walkthrough).
But the graphics are quite pretty with lots of Christmas items amongst the guns and knives(seriously!).
Overall, it looks like it was slapped together pretty quick for a Christmas offering which of course won't sell much after the season. And some of it (Santa's kidnapping, the weapons interspersed in the scenes) make it unacceptable for kids. And no widescreen option. A pretty poor effort in my opinion.
I would recommend "Twisted: A Haunted Carol" as an alternative for a Christmas-themed game, but, of course try it for yourself and see but this one is just a filler, nothing more.

I agree with all you said, cbtx. And regarding the voice-over... I had none, but that only means that the voice-over was part of the music slider, and I never listen to music but turn it down all the way right before I start playing. So there is another no-no, as far as I am concerned. I, and many others, don't want to listen to the music, but want to hear background sounds/voices, and if they are part of the music slider then it becomes a problem for me.

Anyway, apart from lots of misspelled words (harmonic instead of harmonica, portion instead of potion, liaf instead of leaf - to name but a few) and those strange words that are being used for whale/pinecone - to name just two, I wasn't really excited about this game.

And yes, I bought "Twisted: A Haunted Carol" last year.

Go to: