bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Dec 21, 11 12:14 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond and you can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ page here.

Have questions about our new reviews section? Please check this forum post and our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread. Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 21, 11 1:36 AM
Good morning, afternoon, evening - depending on your timezone - everyone!

The following review is copied from the one I made in the CE forum, so if you are buying the SE, just ignore the parts about the bonus game:

This was a long and interesting (and sometimes stomach-churning) game.

Widescreen worked for me - laptop, Win7, 64-bit.

Voices were well done.

I used the custom cursor so that I could see the changes when moving over different parts.

There are no sparkles.

There are no instructions for how to do the puzzles.

There is very little, if any, information on how to proceed, except in the SG, which moved its pages (although slightly behind) with my game progress.

Graphics are very good.

There is one HOS (hidden object scene). Otherwise there are MOS (morphing object scenes), but not all that many. They seemed to get less the further I got into the game.

There is no bonus chapter - just as well as we all always moan about the shortness of bonus games.
Instead, you will get extra gameplay throughout the game. Check out the SG (strategy guide). When you see a diamond in the top right-hand corner of a page, that page is extra playtime, which is exclusive to the CE.

There is no map, but a diary, in which you will find 2 tabs. You aren't told what they are for, but you will find out very quickly.

SPOILER ALERT FOR THE TABS hover over the white area to see what it is:
One of the taps in the diary is for finding morphing objects within the diary, the other tap is for finding morphing objects within the pictures that are in the diary. You get an extra bonus HOS for each tab that you managed to find all the morphing objects for.
END OF SPOILER ALERT

This was one strange and interesting game. And I am glad I bought the CE. A lot of people who will buy the SE (standard edition) might struggle with the game, because there is no in-built SG.
I never had to use the Strategy Guide before when playing a CE, but I had to use it very often with this game.

Edited for spelling...

Edited on 12/21/2011 at 1:59:37 AM PST

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Dec 21, 11 1:50 AM
Hi fishies,

Next to reading Valdy's detailed review, I can also suggest taking a look at our Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition thread, where you'll find more reviews from other customers having played the Collector's Edition of this game.

As this is the standard version, extras such as the bonus content are not included, but the main storyline is still the same.

You can find a direct link to this thread by clicking here.

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 21, 11 2:05 AM
Excellent review Valdy (as usual) so I won't post mine ! (bought the CE too).

LOL !! What a wonderful poisonned Christmas present is offering to innocent fishies !!!!

I've really sweated with that game and pulled my hair out more than once

ETA : Valdy I've seen that a WT is already posted in the forum and it should be more helpful than the SG of the CE....

Edited on 12/21/2011 at 2:11:32 AM PST

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Dec 21, 11 2:36 AM
the game has excep graphics but not a game I will buy for all hidd obj scenes are morp scenes loved all the mystery case games this is the only one I will not be owning shame on you big fish didn't mind morp for a quirk in the games but I don't like just staring at a scene for hrs just to see if they change no thanks

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 21, 11 2:49 AM
Poutoule wrote:ETA : Valdy I've seen that a WT is already posted in the forum and it should be more helpful than the SG of the CE....

Hi Poutoule...

You are quite right, of course. I hadn't thought about the walkthrough. But for this game I would have always preferred the SG, because it's right there in the game, so I don't have to get out of it all the time or minimize the game in order to check out the walkthrough.

marlsmate
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by marlsmate on Dec 21, 11 3:00 AM
This does not run properly even though I have uninstalled and tried again. Too bad - two flawed games in 2 days!!!!

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Dec 21, 11 3:01 AM
I tend to enjoy the same type of games as Valdy but I got bored with this one and haven't returned to it since the week I bought it. Maybe I should put a little more effort into it?

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Dec 21, 11 3:41 AM
I remember playing the CE and not really caring for it too much then. Then the SE is even worse. There were several times I got really stuck not knowing where to go or what to do , I had to back out and look at the walkthrough which I never do. Another thing that I didn't like was the morphing object scenes . They were very nerve-racking and frustrating. At least when you found the objects, they could have stayed as they were and not go into hiding again and you had to move around like a mad person trying to find new ones and keeping the old ones off. All in all, I did get to the end of the demo with 15 mins. left to spare , but I felt exhausted ! LOL I would rate this a 5 out 10.

[Post New]by baglady159 on Dec 21, 11 4:22 AM
snapnhiss wrote:I tend to enjoy the same type of games as Valdy but I got bored with this one and haven't returned to it since the week I bought it. Maybe I should put a little more effort into it?

I hope you do go back and try again. This should get game of the year for 2011 IMO. I have never enjoyed a game so much and yes, get past the part that was in the trial cause it just gets better as you go.
I rarely buy CE's anymore but I knew i had to have this one and am not sorry I paid the CE price for this. It was well worth the money.

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Dec 21, 11 4:43 AM
YES, get this game as an SE. I bought the CE and was very glad to get the game earlier because of it. However, the CE-only stuff did not add anything to the story, just gave a little more busy work to do along the way and a bit more at the end -- you won't miss it. I wish there had been a CE bonus chapter, but no. So the SE, containing the entire story, is a great value. Go for it!

P.S. And Big Fish has posted a blog walkthrough for the SE game, so no need for the CE strategy guide.

marlsmate
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by marlsmate on Dec 21, 11 4:43 AM
This does not run properly even though I have uninstalled and tried again. Too bad - two flawed games in 2 days!!!!

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 21, 11 4:51 AM
baglady159 wrote:
snapnhiss wrote:I tend to enjoy the same type of games as Valdy but I got bored with this one and haven't returned to it since the week I bought it. Maybe I should put a little more effort into it?

I hope you do go back and try again. This should get game of the year for 2011 IMO. I have never enjoyed a game so much and yes, get past the part that was in the trial cause it just gets better as you go.
I rarely buy CE's anymore but I knew i had to have this one and am not sorry I paid the CE price for this. It was well worth the money.

I disagree. There were much better games put out I thought. Ones by Boom Z, Alaw**, Gog**, Frogwar**, and a couple of others. (I wrote it like that for MOD purposes) Besides the game crashing a few (even though my comp is only 5 months old) this game in my opinion was terrible. Like others said, those morphing H0G scenes were horrendous. Gave me a headache.

Edited on 12/21/2011 at 4:53:41 AM PST

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 21, 11 4:56 AM
This is a large file adventure game with morphs. You need to take your own notes.

Ucwatuget
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by Ucwatuget on Dec 21, 11 5:08 AM
I've always considered myself a fairly smart person and I've rarely taken to walkthroughs even for tough adventure games. I like to figure things out on my own. The SG or the WT is essential to game progression. I was unable to figure things out often. Some like a lot of hand holding and others do not. This one has almost no hand holding. I liked the uniqueness of the MOS. I think Valdy said it all in so I won't go on.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Dec 21, 11 5:20 AM
endofmonth wrote:YES, get this game as an SE. I bought the CE and was very glad to get the game earlier because of it. However, the CE-only stuff did not add anything to the story, just gave a little more busy work to do along the way and a bit more at the end -- you won't miss it. I wish there had been a CE bonus chapter, but no. So the SE, containing the entire story, is a great value. Go for it!

P.S. And Big Fish has posted a blog walkthrough for the SE game, so no need for the CE strategy guide.

Totally agree. Mind you, not sure about replay value - don't think I can face going through it again

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Dec 21, 11 6:43 AM
Bought the CE some time ago and this game is definitely not for the beginner.

Morphs are much more fun to collect as bonus items. Substituting morphing items for hidden object scenes can drive you nuts!!

Also thought the whole game concept was pretty sick, particularly the hospital and maternity scenes. What warped and twisted minds our devs have !!

Not a replay for me and already deleted the game from my computer.

Woofie53
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,145 Posts

[Post New]by Woofie53 on Dec 21, 11 6:46 AM
vicalana wrote:
endofmonth wrote:YES, get this game as an SE. I bought the CE and was very glad to get the game earlier because of it. However, the CE-only stuff did not add anything to the story, just gave a little more busy work to do along the way and a bit more at the end -- you won't miss it. I wish there had been a CE bonus chapter, but no. So the SE, containing the entire story, is a great value. Go for it!

Totally agree. Mind you, not sure about replay value - don't think I can face going through it again

Thank you for your posts. I am debating on whether to get the CE or SE. The SG in the CE isn't a big help.

This is based on the demo. For some reason, this game isn't grabbing me as much as the other MCF games did. Some of the morphing objects are hard to spot. Especially when you have to look for several at a time and don't know what you're looking for. It gets hard on the eyes They are hard to find in the scenes that have backgrounds that are different shades of grey. It's hard to know what to do next since there is no direction in the game The Hints only work in the morphing scenes.

I was hoping this was going to be as good as the other MCF games. There were a lot of expectations of this game and I don't think it lived up to them. I think I'll wait and see if there is going to be a sale this weekend. Maybe then I'll buy it, but right now I don't plan to. I am still debating.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 21, 11 6:58 AM
sassylassie wrote:I disagree. Besides the game crashing a few (even though my comp is only 5 months old) this game in my opinion was terrible. Like others said, those morphing H0G scenes were horrendous. Gave me a headache.

I quite liked the morphing HOS. They made a difference to the usual ones. But I am not sure I would want all of my HOGs now to have just morphing HOS. I don't think I would like that.

Sorry to hear about the game crashing. I had no problems at all with the game.

vicalana wrote:Mind you, not sure about replay value - don't think I can face going through it again

layzeedaisy wrote:Not a replay for me and already deleted the game from my computer.

I have to admit that, although I found the game quite interesting, I wouldn't want to play it again, and also deleted it off my computer after finishing it.
This is a uniquely done game and, as I said, I thought it was a really interesting game. But it was also quite vile in many places, and shocking too (only have to think of what I had to do to that woman in the bed, and I feel ill). LOL

So yes, I am glad I was able to play the game, but wouldn't want to repeat the experience.

rs63
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by rs63 on Dec 21, 11 7:06 AM
I purchased the CE Edition and was really disappointed with this Mystery Case Files game. Graphics are good, and such, but not up to the quality of all of the previous Mystery Case Files games. Rather difficult to follow and I ended up using the Strategy Guide often. It is a shame that we had to wait so long for a games in this series which fell short of the quality of the rest of the series.

Go to: