bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for House of 1000 Doors: Family Secret Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Dec 22, 11 12:20 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of House of 1000 Doors: Family Secret Collector's Edition? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond and you can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the House of 1000 Doors: Family Secret Collector's Edition page here.

Have questions about our new reviews section? Please check this forum post and our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread. Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

Re:Reviews for House of 1000 Doors: Family Secret Collector's Edition

[Post New]by govols2 on Dec 22, 11 1:17 AM
There are 7 chapters and bonus chapter. Demo sample is for the first 3 chapters. I had not finished the demo when my hour was up. Still hope the other chapters are a bit longer or it may end up being less than 3 hours total for main game.

Option of casual or advanced. Advanced says active zones are not indicated but the HOG parts sparkle. Option in menu to change screen resolution.

Interesting storyline IMO. Voice overs throughout. Hint button is very good. Points to where you need to go and once you get to the room that you need to do something in will tell you what to do.

There is a map which shows if there is something that needs to be done but you can not click on a place and go there. HOG scenes are interactive. I liked the graphics in this one as well

There are morphing objects as well. 35 total. Cursor changes when it goes by one so not too hard to find. Don't know if anything happens if you find them all.

Based on the story I think there may be only 4 special doors you personally will go through.

I think I will be getting this but will have to wait until payday.

Edited on 12/22/2011 at 1:28:52 AM PST

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Dec 22, 11 1:30 AM
At first I was bored with this game. The play was very linear and the inventory items were located in the same area that they were to be used in. However, as the game progressed the game became more interesting. The hidden object scenes were interactive and there was a lot of back and forth between scenes, which I enjoy.

Those who get irritated with hidden object scenes that contain the same objects that were found from a prior visit won't be happy.

The graphics were fairly good. I didn't find the storyline too interesting (ghosts in a haunted house etc...) but to me, that's not as important as the actual game play.

The mini puzzles were fairly simple to solve.

I played on the expert mode and the hints recharged fairly quickly. No sparkles.

Depending on length, I will buy when this comes out as a SE. I finished the demo within the trial time.

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Dec 22, 11 1:30 AM
At first I was bored with this game. The play was very linear and the inventory items were located in the same area that they were to be used in. However, as the game progressed the game became more interesting. The hidden object scenes were interactive and there was a lot of back and forth between scenes, which I enjoy.

Those who get irritated with hidden object scenes that contain the same objects that were found from a prior visit won't be happy.

The graphics were fairly good. I didn't find the storyline too interesting (ghosts in a haunted house etc...) but to me, that's not as important as the actual game play.

The mini puzzles were fairly simple to solve.

I played on the expert mode and the hints recharged fairly quickly. No sparkles.

Depending on length, I will buy when this comes out as a SE. I finished the demo within the trial time.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Dec 22, 11 1:45 AM
High quality game! Thanks developers!

7chapters and a Bonus chapter. The 7 chapters are total 88 pages in the SG (although there are many pages written only to the half).

35 morphing objects, and a map, which enables to skip to the room you want to be. (yay!!!). The hint system helps with location arrows and hints out of the HOS.

Thanks BF for posting it here...

Edit: Impossible to see what is the length of the Bonus game, before playing all the game...

Edited on 12/22/2011 at 1:48:01 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 22, 11 1:54 AM
This game (from Alawar-since it's not for sale there I guess the name is allowed) is pretty disappointing.
The story is somewhat of a mess, making little sense at all but that could change as the game develops (it almost has to!)
Gameplay mechanics and graphics are just ok.
A very frustrating option is the screen resolution which only offers 1024 x 768 amd 800 x 600 so say hello to the lovely black bars. (And this dev has been offering most of its recent offerings in widescreen so what's up with that? Could be that the game is older or been in the making for a while--it does seen a little aged.)
The voice-overs are among the worst I've ever heard. It's especially grinding to hear an adult (actor?) try to sound like a child as this game features.
Seems to be of decent length although no clue about the length of the bonus is anywhere as the SG is locked up in the demo.
This might be ok as a SE but certainly does absolutely nothing to merit CE money. (Personally, I will NEVER pay CE money again for a game that doesn't offer WS.
Too many devs are showing that this is easy enough to offer and the failure to do so indicates a severe lack of quality and attention to detail. But until enough fishies respond to this by refusing to buy some devs will keep on cranking them out and point to gushing reviews and nice profits that they need not change)
As always, try it, you might enjoy--but not me.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Dec 22, 11 2:32 AM
cbtx wrote:This game (from Alawar-since it's not for sale there I guess the name is allowed) is pretty disappointing.
The story is somewhat of a mess, making little sense at all but that could change as the game develops (it almost has to!)
Gameplay mechanics and graphics are just ok.
A very frustrating option is the screen resolution which only offers 1024 x 768 amd 800 x 600 so say hello to the lovely black bars. (And this dev has been offering most of its recent offerings in widescreen so what's up with that? Could be that the game is older or been in the making for a while--it does seen a little aged.)
The voice-overs are among the worst I've ever heard. It's especially grinding to hear an adult (actor?) try to sound like a child as this game features.
Seems to be of decent length although no clue about the length of the bonus is anywhere as the SG is locked up in the demo.
This might be ok as a SE but certainly does absolutely nothing to merit CE money. (Personally, I will NEVER pay CE money again for a game that doesn't offer WS.
Too many devs are showing that this is easy enough to offer and the failure to do so indicates a severe lack of quality and attention to detail. But until enough fishies respond to this by refusing to buy some devs will keep on cranking them out and point to gushing reviews and nice profits that they need not change)
As always, try it, you might enjoy--but not me.

Of course Cbtx you're entitled to have your own opinion, but I couldn't disagree with you more. This is, IMO, a very beautiful and wellmade game, worth to be a CE and worth to be played.
The voice-overs are excellent, the graphics stunning, the music is a pleasure to listen to, and the story is interesting, although people that aren't into the occult might think differently.

To me this is a 5 game. It's nicely challenging and overall interesting and amusing.

Just look at (Spoiler, highlight to read): that room the boy is sitting in, how beatifully made that is, and the same goes for the train you will be transported to, it's all high class developing!

This game's a winner to me, and fishies able to afford buying this new CE are lucky fishies in my eyes, with one more beautiful game to play during the Holidays.

Enjoy!

pcully
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by pcully on Dec 22, 11 2:36 AM
Morning Everyone

I just played for 15mins and am just off to buy it. I really liked it. Luckily for me it is payday

The graphics are great and I love morphing objects, I just had a nice feeling about it all.

Could someone tell me what WS stands for please?

Linda

judyglenning
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by judyglenning on Dec 22, 11 2:40 AM
The game opened in widescreen on my wide monitor. If it doesn't for you then try to click on the widescreen square in options. Removing the "X" from the widescreen option makes it fullscreen, no black bars.
Don't know why it works that way but it's frequently the case.

Edited on 12/22/2011 at 2:41:40 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 22, 11 3:04 AM
pcully wrote:Morning Everyone

I just played for 15mins and am just off to buy it. I really liked it. Luckily for me it is payday

The graphics are great and I love morphing objects, I just had a nice feeling about it all.

Could someone tell me what WS stands for please?

Linda

WS=widescreen

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 22, 11 3:14 AM
Well, CG, you are correct that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and in this particular case we are certainly at opposite ends of the spectrum.
I simply feel that when compared to many of the recent CEs that have been offered this game absolutely does not measure up. And that WS issue is huge for me when it comes to CE money. (Removing the WS x option shrank mine) If other devs can provide that option so can they all.
But I'm very happy that you like the game.

dogmama
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,998 Posts

[Post New]by dogmama on Dec 22, 11 3:42 AM
I love what I've played so far so am downloading the full game. I have a 24 inch monitor and have full screen without changing anything. Have fun fishies .

judyglenning
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by judyglenning on Dec 22, 11 3:43 AM
cbtx wrote:Well, CG, you are correct that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and in this particular case we are certainly at opposite ends of the spectrum.
I simply feel that when compared to many of the recent CEs that have been offered this game absolutely does not measure up. And that WS issue is huge for me when it comes to CE money. (Removing the WS x option shrank mine) If other devs can provide that option so can they all.

The game opened in widescreen on my wide monitor. If it doesn't for you then try to click on the widescreen square in options. Removing the "X" from the widescreen option makes it fullscreen, no black bars.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 22, 11 3:55 AM
judyglenning wrote:
cbtx wrote:Well, CG, you are correct that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and in this particular case we are certainly at opposite ends of the spectrum.

Tried that but it just shrinks the screen---but thanks for the suggestion

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Dec 22, 11 3:59 AM
Played 30 minutes of the demo

- Alawar Games
- You are offered Casual or Advanced
- You can check the bonus play in the sample offered
- Hint refills quickly and is very useful, showing directions, etc
- Interactive H0
- A map indicates where you are and places where you have to do something, you can't jump from one place to another
- Beautiful graphics
- Mini games fairly easy
- SG available from the game and in the demo too
- You have to find 35 (?) morphing objects
- Usual ghost story and family mystery to solve

I've enjoyed playing this game, seems a very good one, a buy for me.

-

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Dec 22, 11 4:15 AM
Here it is Christmas week and there's a deluge of occult games like the Exorcist.
No demo for me today.

kklohr
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by kklohr on Dec 22, 11 4:20 AM
cbtx wrote:The voice-overs are among the worst I've ever heard. It's especially grinding to hear an adult (actor?) try to sound like a child as this game features.

Oh joy!! If there's one thing I can't stand, whether it's in games, movies, or radio ads, it's fake children's voices (fake senior citizen voices are a close second!) It's especially grating to hear these "children" deliver dialogue that most adults would have trouble with. This almost always causes me to lose the immersion in a story.

MEMO to all Devs: Get child voice actors instead, and if they can't deliver the lines you've written, then how about making the dialogue more age appropriate!

I'll wait for more reviews on this game before trying it out as there have been a nice amount of decent new games lately. Even if this game turns out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread, I won't get the CE if it has annoying voice-overs. Maybe the SE at a later date, after all money's tight these days. Thx for the heads up cbtx! Have a on me!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Dec 22, 11 4:20 AM

Great CE!!! I can't buy it until next month but I really enjoyed the demo!

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Dec 22, 11 4:37 AM

Did you try adjusting your Resolution? I have a 22 inch wide screen monitor and I have a full screen. Did you maybe think it's YOUR monitor? There is a recommendation on my monitor's res screen to set the res to that res. It doesn't seem to be a problem on anyone else's monitor. I agree with CasualGran a thousand percent. I don't normally buy CE's anymore but this one is a must have, and I bought it. The graphics are downright gorgeous. The one's who made this game is one of the top game makers out there.

Edited on 12/22/2011 at 4:46:34 AM PST

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Dec 22, 11 5:04 AM
kklohr wrote:
cbtx wrote:The voice-overs are among the worst I've ever heard. It's especially grinding to hear an adult (actor?) try to sound like a child as this game features.

Oh joy!! If there's one thing I can't stand, whether it's in games, movies, or radio ads, it's fake children's voices (fake senior citizen voices are a close second!) It's especially grating to hear these "children" deliver dialogue that most adults would have trouble with. This almost always causes me to lose the immersion in a story.

I absolutely agree. I HATE that. ERS does it in a lot of their games too. It's one reason I sometimes prefer games without voiceovers. If they can't do it well, don't do it at all.

Go to: