CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

Re:Reviews for Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome Collector's Edition

[Post New]by CasualGran on Dec 25, 11 1:36 AM
First of all:

HAPPY CHRISTMAS EACH AND EVERYONE!

And now about this new game. It looks very good from the trial. Sharp graphics, you can make it full or wide screen (needs restarting the game), the story is interesting (spoiler: although we've had more cases of kidnapped persons ), and there are voice-overs and very well done!

The SG (Strategy Guide) only provides for 3 chapters, alas, so I can't say anything about the length. But I trust that it will be long enough, since these devs are the makers of (amongst others) The Fool. Remember?

The one minigame I've come across was fun to do, so I trust the rest of them will be just as nicely challenging.

All in all, from the trial it looks like a Christmas-worthy CE!

Enjoy! And have fun with your loved ones this weekend!

ETA: On base of what I find now that I'm playing this game I wouldn't be saying 'Christmas-worthy CE'. I mean: Spoiler: A gruesomly killed and 'artisticly' used young man, isn't exacly underscribing the peaceful spirit of Christmas, and NOT AT ALL in tune with the message of unconditional love... End of spoiler. So, if you want your mind eased these days, without wordly trouble as much as you can, it might be wise to prospone this, in itself, play-worthy game for later. Just saying...

Edited on 12/25/2011 at 2:50:45 AM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Dec 25, 11 1:43 AM
Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it and Happy Holiday for those who like to be politically correct, which I do not. This looks like a great game. I particularly like the story of Dorian Gray. Mag/Cindie Softworks, Don't know if I ever heard of them. It does have a custom cursor for those of you who seem to think that is a very important feature. Voice overs for those of you who love that. Nice motorcycle ride for the beginning and a nice big mansion for those of you who love exploring those things.

Edited on 12/25/2011 at 1:44:28 AM PST

grabbinbugs
Minnow
Minnow
225 Posts

[Post New]by grabbinbugs on Dec 25, 11 1:56 AM
Get your most comfortable tennies on for this one. Excellent graphics, suitable music, interesting story about a crazy who makes art from humans he has nabbed.
Very well done voice overs. There is quite a bit of chatter from the the villan of the story. For those who do not like a lot of talking this game is not for you. It is skippable though. Some object scenes are a bit drab but interactive and not difficult. Puzzles are easy to medium difficulty. Has all the bells and whistles in the options menu. Two modes of play, casual (really quick hint and skip recharge) and expert (no sparkles). Three chapters are available in the demo so no clue as to length. There is a map that shows 3 sections, so could be of good length. With the CE sale for 6.99 is a buy here. A very Merry Christmas to All

Amson
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
2 Posts

[Post New]by Amson on Dec 25, 11 2:02 AM
I think it will be a great game but I also like the original story Dorian Gray by oscar wilde.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 25, 11 2:03 AM
Based on the trial.

This is a very interesting and bizarre game. I'm not sure how strongly it goes to Oscar Wilde's "The Picture of Dorian Gray" but there is a picture of a youthful guy early on and there is a creepy villain named Oscar whose voice-over is very excellent and scary (well done on this) But of course there is some sort of problem with the Dorian Gray Syndrome which has to with coping with self-appearance especially as it regards ageing so the story could go in any of several directions, all interesting.
The game play itself is very good and responsive.
The graphics are high quality but dark and gloomy.
As already indicated, the voice-overs are great.
The hidden object scenes are not too hard with interactive aspects which enhance their interest.
The puzzles are different and unique (so far).
No widescreen for me-there is an option for it in the menu but it doesn't work (any ideas?).
And the best thing is that it's $6.99 due to the sale on CEs this weekend!!!
No clue as to the length or bonus items but I'm waiting on the d/l so I'll come back and edit this or do a new post to let you know.
Overall, it's certainly worth a look and at the price a definite buy for me---give it a chance!

sunidayz
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by sunidayz on Dec 25, 11 2:07 AM
This is a pretty good game. There is a lot of running back and forth. It seemed like I had a lot of items by the end of the demo with no where to use/put them. I didn't care for the villian (sp?) talking in the background in almost every scene. It was kind of annoying. I just try to ignore it. The graphics were good as well as the music. The HOS scenes were okay. The mini games were challenging, but there was a fairly quick skip button you could use. The hint button didn't work for helping you if you were stuck in where to go next. I forgot all about the Strategy Guide and didn't even use it! So I made it through on my own. I would rate this an 8 out of 10.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Dec 25, 11 2:10 AM
Loved the demo..

Great graphics and details, voices (which I love). SG keeps your place (yipee). I really enjoyed the demo, full screen for my large monitor, game moves really smoothly (except the running around).

Was not familiar with the devs but great working game. This is a buy for me.

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Dec 25, 11 2:19 AM
More info:

This dev did the Robinson Crusoe games and "The Fool"--all excellent games.

The game has 7 chapters (44 pages).

The bonus game is an additional 14(!) pages.

The chapters have some of the most unusual titles I've ever seen (peaks my interest even more).

So it appears quite lengthy and I believe it's going to be an outstanding game---just wish the WS would work but at the sale price that diminishes in importance.

Hope this helps--enjoy the game!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 25, 11 2:21 AM
This review is based on the trial version, which took me 55 minutes.

There is voice-over, which is very well done.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is an option for widescreen, and one for film grain.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

The SG (strategy guide only showed the first 3 of the 7 chapters that are available - plus the bonus game.

The graphics were very well done.

The gameplay was somewhat tame and pretty much routine.

I liked the puzzles I encountered in the trial version, and they were all doable.

Both the HINT and SKIP buttons filled quickly.

The HINT button is on the left-hand side, and the journal and map on the right.

The map shows where you are, and what actions can be done, but you can't jump with the map.

There is a lot of talk, but you can click on the text to make it stop.

My character either has a cold or smokes too much - he keeps coughing all the time.

--- --- ---

Because this game didn't throw me off my chair with excitement (I seem to be too spoilt), I will wait for the SE before buying it.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

ETA Seeing that we get even this brand-new CE for half price in the Christmas sale, I went ahead and bought it.

Some more ETA: Having played this game now for a couple of hours, I must say that I do rather enjoy this game. And if it wasn't for Oscar, talking endlessly, I would enjoy this game even more.

Edited on 12/27/2011 at 3:04:22 PM PST

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Dec 25, 11 2:52 AM
Valdy wrote:My character either has a cold or smokes too much - he keeps coughing all the time.

Yes, the character Sam Wilde (Oscar Wilde?) does cough when there's rain.
Apparently the dampness is making him sick.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Dec 25, 11 3:04 AM
I beta tested this game and I loved it. My review is based on beta test and full demo. I really like the story and I think this game has some of the best voiceover's I've heard in along time. This is a smart and challenging game. The graphics are good, but are on the darker side, to add atmosphere and mystery to the game. This is a must buy. IMO I am enjoying this game alot more than MCF -EFR. This is a must try for sure. Enjoy!

Yes: Widescreen
Yes: Voiceovers - Fantastic!
Yes: Casual & Advanced modes of play.
Yes: Separate Music & Voiceover & Atmosphere & SFX sound adjustments.
Yes: Custom Cursor
Yes: Film Grain Option
Theme: Psychological thriller

I rate this game: "FINE SWINE"
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

Edited on 12/25/2011 at 3:09:58 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Dec 25, 11 3:04 AM
I didn't see this on the CE half price sale list. Did anyone try the promo code on it yet?

I was so looking forward to this release, love the Dorian Gray Portrait story and always thought it would make a good game but this doesn't sound like it. And I thought it would be a zany version by Magic Indi, their second Robinson Crusoe Cursed Pirates was so funny, and Fool was light hearted fun too. So here we are back to dark and eerie... I think I'll pass especially if full CE price. May be something to spend a pc credit on next month.

Have fun y'all and HAPPY CHRISTMAS DAY

ON EARTH GOOD GAMING TO ALL.

Edited on 12/25/2011 at 3:06:05 AM PST

crypsynight
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by crypsynight on Dec 25, 11 3:20 AM
puzzledone wrote:I didn't see this on the CE half price sale list. Did anyone try the promo code on it yet?

I was so looking forward to this release, love the Dorian Gray Portrait story and always thought it would make a good game but this doesn't sound like it. And I thought it would be a zany version by Magic Indi, their second Robinson Crusoe Cursed Pirates was so funny, and Fool was light hearted fun too. So here we are back to dark and eerie... I think I'll pass especially if full CE price. May be something to spend a pc credit on next month.

I only played about 2/3rds of the trial before I decided it was a definite purchase.
Great game, which runs smoothly and uses the whole of my wide screen.

Yes, the promo worked, so for $6.99, why would anyone wait for the SE??

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Dec 25, 11 3:25 AM
puzzledone wrote:I didn't see this on the CE half price sale list. Did anyone try the promo code on it yet?

Well, I;ve used the code and it worked!

WPat651044
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by WPat651044 on Dec 25, 11 3:38 AM
This was definitely a buy for me. The game runs smooth and well worth the $6.99 special Christmas price. Thanks BFG

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Dec 25, 11 3:45 AM
MarkAlan wrote:
Valdy wrote:My character either has a cold or smokes too much - he keeps coughing all the time.

Yes, the character Sam Wilde (Oscar Wilde?) does cough when there's rain.
Apparently the dampness is making him sick.

Oh, I see. Now it makes sense. Thanks for the info, MarkAlan.

CasualGran wrote:Well, I;ve used the code and it worked!

You are kidding. I wouldn't even have thought that this CE would be part of the sale, because usually they only have a certain amount of games that they offer for sale, and I would never have thought that they actually add a brand-new game as well.

*off to reinstall this game and see if I have the same luck*

ETA: Yes, yes, yes! It worked for me too. What a great Christmas sale this is.

Edited on 12/25/2011 at 4:28:18 AM PST

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on Dec 25, 11 4:21 AM

Yes, me. I am in the UK, so it reduced the price from the Game Club price of £10.80 to £5.40 (which, considering the 'full' price is £15.42, made me decide to buy this AND the 'House of 1000 Doors' CE! )

Happy Christmas, everyone.

Edited on 12/25/2011 at 4:24:33 AM PST

slotfish
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by slotfish on Dec 25, 11 4:22 AM
Merry Christmas everyone I am buying these like hotcakes I downloaded 3 so far so what's another one? Based on the demo it will be a keeper. Valdy my character coughs all the time to I keep looking for someone to POP up. Have a great one all

Edited on 12/25/2011 at 4:23:33 AM PST

adrienne1
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by adrienne1 on Dec 25, 11 4:25 AM
Weeeeeeeee Code worked for me as well (in UK). Happy Christmas everybody.

Go to: