cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 29 December 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Dec 29, 11 12:17 AM
Any comments fishes?

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:Todays DD 29 December 11 Comments and reviews.

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Dec 29, 11 1:08 AM
I've had this game on my to buy list if it was offered at DD/COTW. I'm very happy to get it for this price. It is a very challenging game more of a adventure game. IMO The graphics are so beautiful and I really like the story.

No: Voice Over's
Yes: Widescreen
Yes: Cursor Option
No: Different modes of play
Theme: Treasure Seeking Adventure

There isn't alot of direction on what to do or where to go, but there is a Diary with a story line and some help. I am enjoying the theme in the game and for the price, I'm very happy to buy it. But with all this said, I don't think this game is for everyone. Straight Hog lover's won't be a big fan of this game, but at least give it a try. You never know what might catch your fancy. This is most definitely worth a try. Enjoy!

moonlightgrey
Flounder
Flounder
2,076 Posts

[Post New]by moonlightgrey on Dec 29, 11 2:33 AM
I paid full price for this when it came out,

I had some trouble getting from room to room, but I liked the story and the art and was happy to have it even tho- I can't remember much about it.

Might be time to play it again. I do remember the father son culture clash.

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

[Post New]by JoyWales on Dec 29, 11 2:42 AM
I think i will take a chance on it. For some reason I had discarded it without making a note of any reason why. Nor had I put it on a list of maybe games. LOL Perhaps a lot of good games ( for me) were released during that month.

ETA I had no intention of starting a new punch card at this time of the month as I had splurged on the CE sale. Will have to wait till the end of the month before deciding whether to fill it or not.

Edited on 12/29/2011 at 2:46:24 AM PST

bandonkr
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by bandonkr on Dec 29, 11 6:24 AM
I am glad I tried before I bought!

The graphics are nice. As far as I got the rooms were bright, no dark corners to hide things and not a lot of clutter.

That said - I HATED IT! Very slow response, there are evidently times when order is important but nothing to clue that in. Very confusing!

I don't mind using a walk through for a tough place but I think every other move I made I would need the walkthrough.

Into the trash bin for this one - even at the special price.

Edited on 12/29/2011 at 6:25:02 AM PST

Safarri
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by Safarri on Dec 29, 11 8:10 AM
This game is so close to being a good game but just doesn't hit the mark. When I needed a hint there wasn't one there. The journal is no help at all. I agree about needing the walkthrough as a hint rather than avenue of last resort. I couldn't even get in to the story because of issues such as the mag. glass getting stuck on the carpet and I needed to exit the move on. I've come to expect excellence at Big Fish and this isn't ready yet.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Dec 29, 11 9:21 AM
Hadn't demoed this before today, and was prepared to not
like it. Well, there are things I don't like, such as the not
always easy to find direction arrows, the really, really dark
basement and the too picky placement locations.

I've used the W/T more than I like, but it's like a learning
curve, the more I play, the less I need it.

I was almost finished Chapter 1 when the demo ended and
I wanted to play more. It's not an easy game for me and it's
going to take me a long time, but I am enjoying the quest,
so at this price, I have to buy so I can take my time with it
and try to think a little more outside the box. It does do
things differently than most IHOG/Adventures I have
played.

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Dec 29, 11 11:13 AM
Hated it. Didn't like the graphics on the people, but the object art was fine. Objects were often more obscure than hidden. I had to switch to my system cursor because the game curser (pun intended) kept getting stuck in one mode or another and wouldn't switch back. It would want you to do things in a certain order with no hints on what that could be. For example, I found bullets but it wouldn't let me pick them up until I found the gun, then wouldn't let me pick up the gun until I went back for the bullets. Books had to be placed in exactly the right spot without hints, I have no idea why. Hints were pretty much non-existent. English was broken but as far as I played understandable. I never did find the second rug message, as none of the solvent or whatever worked. I think I had to click it on exactly the right place as in the books, but never found it and got fed up. Gameplay extremely clumsy. I was surprised to see anyone liked it, so obviously this is a try before you buy game, just not my cup of oolong.

dosnomads
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by dosnomads on Dec 29, 11 12:51 PM
After clicking repeatedly on the carpet in the basement so I can stop the clock, as stated in the W/T, nothing happened (except the cursor dissolving) so I gave up.
Not a buy for me!

underwriter
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by underwriter on Dec 29, 11 2:06 PM
Lady Dream, I discovered that to use the solvent, first you had to place the bowl in the lower right of the inset, then pour the solvent into the bowl, then dip the brush into the solvent in the bowl, several times, as it would run out, with no obvious errors to explain why - maybe just being realistic LOL as you would never be able to cover an area that size with one brush dip in real life. That said, there were some things I just couldn't get to move. The required RAM for this game is just about what I have (I'll be buying more). But before I decide to uninstall, after reading these comments, I need to try it without the custom cursor and see if that helps.

underwriter
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

[Post New]by underwriter on Dec 29, 11 2:17 PM
Oh, and dos nomads, the clock is stopped with a button in a track on the bottom of the zoomed-in clock itself: move the button all the way to the right.
I think the system cursor is helping so will buy at this price. Then I'll need one more for a punch this month.

brookings
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
454 Posts

[Post New]by brookings on Dec 29, 11 2:59 PM
I found the hidden objects difficult to find. The hints don't refill quickly enough for me. No buy even at $2.99

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Dec 29, 11 8:10 PM
Decided to try the game regardless of the fact that there were more negative reviews than positive - including off-site. But there was a problem with the graphics right off the bat. Going into the first H.O. room right at the beginning of the game, the majority of the screen was covered in thin horizontal grey lines giving a "corrugated" effect somewhat obscuring the background, like an old black and white TV with bad reception and yet some of the objects appeared in full colour giving the the illusion that they were floating in front of the background. Figured it wasn't worth seeing if it could be fixed. The first time I downloaded it, it said my trial had expired. So I had to reinstall it a second time before it came up showing 60 minutes. Too many strikes against it right from the start. Hopefully there will be 2 better offerings before of the month. I need three games to fill my second punch card, but so far I have only one other title in mind.

NEPAT
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by NEPAT on Dec 31, 11 1:54 AM
Absolutely beautiful artwork, but as far as functionality - eh, *poof*
In the first eight minutes, I couldn't close the journal and couldn't pick up the dragon book in the drawer in the dining room. Even with a hint to pick up the book, the clue was aiming at the blank space between the book and a feather (?) - clicked everywhere in the drawer without success.

Bummer! I was looking forward to being able to get further with this one!
No buy and a delete from me!

Go to: