textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

Comments for Shadow Wolf Mysteries: Bane of the Family Collector's Edition

[Post New]by textrekkie on Dec 29, 11 4:47 AM
A place for your comments about the game.

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

Re:Comments for Shadow Wolf Mysteries: Bane of the Family Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shagwendy on Dec 29, 11 9:34 AM
The first Shadow Wolf was the game that made me mad at Big Fish. It took more than 5 weeks (maybe 6) to be released as an SE and by the time it came out I just didn't care anymore. I said I would only buy it on sale since it had taken so long. I finally did buy it on the cheap but I'm still mad at it and haven't played it yet. IIRC there were a lot of unhappy customers saying that the game had no proper ending in the SE version. It will be interesting to hear how this one ends as I've no intention of buying it, I'm still too mad about the first one.

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Dec 29, 11 9:39 AM
Can someone explain something about the intro to me?

The stuff about the especially powerful full moon that drowns out the sun: is this a roundabout way of trying to say there's an eclipse (although that's not how eclipses work)? Or in this game is the moon somehow able to provide its own light source? Are they implying that the moon would be the brightest thing in the sky during the DAY? Is this something that comes up in a previous game? Do the developers just not understand what moonlight is?

Normally the intro just makes me roll my eyes, but this time I genuinely didn't understand what they were trying to say...

LadyLark
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLark on Dec 29, 11 12:08 PM
All I want to know before I begin the download is: are they still using that dreadful voice actress? You know the one...we all think she must be someone's girlfriend? She's that bad! If so, it's a no go for me.

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Dec 29, 11 12:43 PM
I don't really remember the first one, but the voice acting in this one is quite bad...

Edited on 12/29/2011 at 1:10:52 PM PST

yvonnehoho
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by yvonnehoho on Dec 29, 11 1:16 PM
turn of the sound...

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Dec 29, 11 2:14 PM
oh, yvonnehoho, you just made me laugh so hard, LOL LOL LOL! Very well put

Edited on 12/29/2011 at 2:14:46 PM PST

LadyDream
Clownfish
Clownfish
515 Posts

[Post New]by LadyDream on Dec 29, 11 2:16 PM
The CE seems not to have any extra game play, so I will wait for the SE. Based on the trial, I'll buy it. Luckily I was too deaf to hear the voice over on the woman. I had just played the first one, and for some reason I liked this one even better. The family portrait made me giggle.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 29, 11 2:27 PM
I was pleased to see this as TGT because I really enjoyed the first "Shadow Wolf" game partly because, other than the fortune-teller, I found no occult-themes that I recall, which is a big plus for me. I'm looking forward to playing the trial. One question, though, what's up with all the "removed by moderator" in several of the review posts for this game? I don't ever recall seeing so many before.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Dec 29, 11 2:43 PM
Itsupikachu wrote:I was pleased to see this as TGT because I really enjoyed the first "Shadow Wolf" game partly because, other than the fortune-teller, I found no occult-themes that I recall, which is a big plus for me. I'm looking forward to playing the trial.

DITTO

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Dec 29, 11 2:55 PM
Hi there,
I did a beta survey for this game, and my notes simply said "more of the usual fare from ERS".
That said, I put on my comfy slippers, made a pot of coffee, selected the hardest mode, got ready for lots of HOG scenes (I thought some of the interactive parts in these were very clever) and had an enjoyable time. Sometimes this is just what I need between the running around trying to complete a couple of the pure adventure games that still have me stumped (I might even have to resort to a peek at a WT for one, as I am sure that I have searched everywhere etc).
Yes, they seem to be rather formulaic, but I still enjoy the journey and their production values are always first class.
Cheers

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Dec 29, 11 2:57 PM
Regarding the posts removed in the Reviews thread, apparently there is a big move on to "tidy" them up so that they contain only reviews about the game.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Dec 29, 11 3:52 PM
yvonnehoho wrote:turn of the sound...

Wow, that is some kind of mess in the review thread now Ozzie... Are you sure they know what they are doing? I thanked a reviewer for a great review and that even got axed... You gotta roll with the punches in here anymore.

rugrats299
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by rugrats299 on Dec 29, 11 4:07 PM
LadyDream wrote:The CE seems not to have any extra game play, so I will wait for the SE. Based on the trial, I'll buy it. Luckily I was too deaf to hear the voice over on the woman. I had just played the first one, and for some reason I liked this one even better. The family portrait made me giggle.
It does have a bonus game to it it is in the upper right corner under chains you you can really see it just thought I would let ya know

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Dec 29, 11 6:31 PM
I have a question about junk piles in the hidden ojects. I dont understand what that means.

I love hidden object games, have been playing them for years. It's real simple, you just have to look and find the item, right?

I continue to read negative remarks from people complaining that the hidden object scenes are junk piles. What are they referring to? What do they expect hidden object scenes to look like? I'm just curious as to what they mean and why they complain about it. thanks

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Dec 29, 11 6:37 PM
Hi there XtreemNorth,
My take on the junk pile description is a H0 scene full of seemingly unrelated items, some of which seem to have very little place in the story.
I also wonder about what people expect to find in a H0 scene, but do appreciate it when the developer has made the effort to make them theme and time related.
Cheers

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Dec 29, 11 6:48 PM
To me, junkpiles are extremely cluttered scenes. Now I know that onjects are supposed to be hidden, but looking through just a bunch of junk is not as enjoyable as looking at a pretty scene with objects appropriate to the theme and time period of the game. For example, I wouldn't expect to see a snake or lizard in a kitchen, or a computer mouse in the 18th century. And yes, I have seen both!

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Dec 29, 11 6:48 PM
Thank you DragonLadyOz. When I get into the hidden objects, it has never crossed my mind to look and see if the items go along with the story, I wouldn't expect them to. I'm thrilled if I can find them all without hitting the hint button. I am surprised that a person would not buy a game if they thought the hidden items were junk, or a junk pile, I guess I find that wierd. Anyway thankyou again for your answer, now I know.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Dec 29, 11 6:50 PM
angelofmusic62 wrote:To me, junkpiles are extremely cluttered scenes. Now I know that onjects are supposed to be hidden, but looking through just a bunch of junk is not as enjoyable as looking at a pretty scene with objects appropriate to the theme and time period of the game. For example, I wouldn't expect to see a snake or lizard in a kitchen, or a computer mouse in the 18th century. And yes, I have seen both!

Well putting it that way makes sense.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Dec 29, 11 7:24 PM
DragonLadyOz wrote:Regarding the posts removed in the Reviews thread, apparently there is a big move on to "tidy" them up so that they contain only reviews about the game.

Thank you, DragonLadyOz, for answering my question!

Go to: