DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Comments for Curse at Twilight: Collector's Edition

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jan 1, 12 12:34 AM
Hi there,
Well it seems that there are no forums up yet for this game, so I thought I would get things started and hope it will be "accepted" as worthy later.
Others with more expertise than I will post proper reviews in the official forum, but having completed this excellent (and rather long game), I would like to add a few thoughts on the CE edition.
First let me start with a warning (highlight) > a fish and a vegetable are both sacrificed to make soup in one of the chapters and you are required to chop them both with a knife!!
Sorry if some of you feel this is flippant, but honestly, this is about as bad as it gets in this game.
The developers (Amaranth) seemed to have noted all of the wishes and/or likes from the various H0/Adv games and have successfully managed to incorporate them into this game - FROG, Interactive H0 scenes etc - along with the fantasy cuteness factor of their Aveyond games (especially in the final section of the game).
I played on the Expert mode - and there was no assistance in finding H0 scenes etc, so you will need to check every nook and cranny (the cursor is very useful here).
Collecting all of the Gold coins (most of which are not actually gold LOL) in each scene will expand the map and enable you to jump to various scenes. The number required is shown at the top of each scene, along with the number of tasks required and how many you have completed which gives you an excellent idea as to whether you need to return to any of the scenes again - and there is a lot of running around (though the active map helps at times).
There is no extra chapter per se (all of the chapters are listed in the SG (I checked later)), as it is integrated within the game and you do not have to access it from the main menu. You will also collect and use various CE Keys for locks that enable you to complete extra tasks within the game. Great idea as far as I am concerned, as supposedly all players will have the same ending and not feel "ripped off".
How this will be handled in the SE version will be interesting.
And some of the simplest tasks are quite challenging - good luck with the eyebrows when you get to them.
A really good way to start off your gaming for 2012, even if it is a CE.
Well, changeover time is here in Seattle, so only a few more time zones to go.
Happy New Year
Edited to fix the incorrect information about the extra chapter - thanks ShazPG

Edited on 01/01/2012 at 10:41:30 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:Comments for Curse at Twilight: Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jan 1, 12 12:41 AM
Good idea on this thread Ozzie. I am really enjoying the game. A lot of fun and game play variety. Well done Amaranth Games!!

Edited on 01/01/2012 at 12:43:17 AM PST

shagwendy
Stingray
Stingray
4,926 Posts

[Post New]by shagwendy on Jan 1, 12 12:47 AM
I thought the explanation of the bonus play was very interesting, it didn't seem to work out so well in MCF EFR, but at least they're being very up front about it in this game. I like the idea of integrated bonus play, but I think CE buyers will feel cheated without the extra chapter at the end. There is a brightness control also. I only checked out a few minutes, it's off to , but I really liked the music I heard, and that is important to me.

ShazPG
Clownfish
Clownfish
688 Posts

[Post New]by ShazPG on Jan 1, 12 12:56 AM
There IS an extra chapter - when you go through the gates in the back yard, it says BONUS CHAPTER. It's just accessed from the game itself, and is part of the story, rather than being accessed from the menu like a lot of other CE games.

Edited on 01/01/2012 at 12:56:32 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jan 1, 12 1:02 AM
Thank you DLO for you comments, which look like more of an excellent review.
I have tried this game and like it.
As far as this being a double priced game is concerned, (I stopped calling them CE's quite some time ago). This is what the words, Collectors Edition means to me.

"a thing regarded as being exquisite or rare and thus worthy of the interest of one who collects such things"

Anyway, I am looking forward to be able to play this when I have finished work.

ETA Sorry, I did not mean to turn this into a debate on normal priced games vs double priced games. I will decide if Curse of Twilight, is worth the price later.
Looking at the comments so far, it may just be ok.

Edited on 01/01/2012 at 1:09:04 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jan 1, 12 1:30 AM
And some of the simplest tasks are quite challenging - good luck with the eyebrows when you get to them.

Ozzie: Spoiler Question: What was the dang deal with the eyebrows? We are talking about drawing with the chalk on the pumpkin picture, right? I thought I had a game glitch and so I skipped that puzzle at that point. Dang it! I really did think I hit a glitch. So, what was the trick to that??

Thanks for your input on this and for the thread.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Jan 1, 12 2:21 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:Good idea on this thread Ozzie. I am really enjoying the game. A lot of fun and game play variety. Well done Amaranth Games!!

I agree. Thanks Oz! I wish they would get the forum running right again.
As for the game, I'm enjoying it too. Nice to see they mixed it up abit from the norm.
And thanks for the heads up ShazPG on the Bonus Chapter in the back yard .

Edited on 01/01/2012 at 4:49:55 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jan 1, 12 5:22 AM
Well, still no "official" forums for this game? Thanks, D-L-Oz, for your initiative! Maybe you should "moonlight" as a BFG Mod!

(Based on the demo)--

When I first saw the file size, I thought, "No way could a CE be that small"! What a nice surprise! It offers everything that a CE should, whether those things suit your tastes or not--integrated SG, wallpapers, concept art, music, and a very unique way of providing bonus gameplay!

It is the tried-and-true "I'm trapped in this abandoned, haunted mansion" storyline. And while it's advertized as a "Hidden Object-Puzzle-Adventure (H0PA), so far, it seems to be more "Adventure," which I like.

The Options menu is good--music, sound FX, and brightness sliders (nice touch); cursor and screen choices; two gameplay modes (yes, the easier one has "sparklies."). The graphics aren't photo-perfect--they're more comic-book, water-color perfect (nice artwork!). The one H0 scene I've encountered so far has items appropriate to the story--they're pretty easy to spot, and there's interaction! The hint system re-ups quickly, and also provides guidance and notes if there's nothing left to do in any certain scene--good job!

Collect gold coins in the various scenes (the amount you need is shown at the top of the screen) and a photo of that scene will appear on an interactive map! Just click to go there! Gotta love it! Find various keys throughout the game to unlock gold, silver, bronze/brass, and pearl padlocks to access integrated bonus gameplay--what a nifty idea! But how that will play out in the SE is another matter!

I suspect this game will offer several hours of enjoyment (if you're a "smell the roses" player like me)! The SG sports seven (or is it eight?) chapters, and the whole thing is included in the demo--WTG, developers!

Good way to start off a new month and a new PunchCard!

Regards and Happy New Year, elldee

Edited on 01/01/2012 at 7:56:56 AM PST

rugrats299
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,045 Posts

[Post New]by rugrats299 on Jan 1, 12 6:23 AM
I am loving this game so far I don't think anyone will feel ripped off yer bonus is intergrated in the game but there are 17 bonuses to get I think these DEV did a Great job not making this the same old same old Finally variety alittle bit of everything I think so for genius not this is just based on demo there is eight chapters and like i already said 17 diffrents ways for the bonuses Give it a try It has deen what we have been asking for IMO LENGTH will see but so far runs great like I said its adventure and H*ogs and frogs all in one and people who don't like frogs dont worry its not like a Blue games Enjoy I just wish there was a forum up already

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 1, 12 7:06 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:

Ozzie: Spoiler Question: What was the dang deal with the eyebrows? We are talking about drawing with the chalk on the pumpkin picture, right? I thought I had a game glitch and so I skipped that puzzle at that point. Dang it! I really did think I hit a glitch. So, what was the trick to that??

Thanks for your input on this and for the thread.

SPOILER ALERT ... highlight to read

You must join up the little bits of chalk at the start and finish of each area above the eyes and then it works and makes eyebrows

What an absolutely delightful game this is I absolutely love it and I haven't finished yet even though I have been playing all morning ... mind you I am not using the map I am wearing my best pair of sneakers and having a ball .

I am so glad I didn't make my New Year's resolution until after purchase as this game is a really good one in my opinion .

Happy New Year to all adventure game lovers

abarrett
Clownfish
Clownfish
990 Posts

[Post New]by abarrett on Jan 1, 12 10:29 AM
Based on the demo:

I was really sad to see my demo time end. I really like this game. The addition of a slider for screen brightness was a very nice touch. Hopefully more devs will take notice. Even though it is the same old spooky manor storyline, I liked it. I don't think that there is anything more to add to the other fishies' reviews. This game is a buy for me .

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jan 1, 12 10:36 AM
Thanks for the heads-up about the Bonus play ShazPG, I should have noticed that myself, but was too engrossed with the game.

Hi Cherb, I figured out what to do with the eye, but it was very frustrating as the chalk seemed so thick. LOL

Edited on 01/01/2012 at 10:43:40 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 1, 12 12:06 PM
Excellent reviews here, so nothing more interesting to add, except that the game bored me to death, and please, stop throwing these stones at me

Edited on 01/01/2012 at 12:06:36 PM PST

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 1, 12 12:17 PM
I'm loving this game too, everyone, and I'm not going to do a review here. I'll wait for the Forum and when I've actually completed it.

I'm having a very strange problem and wonder if any of you have encountered this and if there is a solution other than needing to start from the beginning with a different player name.

The problem is this - SPOILER AHEAD:-

I was flying through the demo with no problem (loved it), then got to the storeroom with the mouse and mousetrap. I found the chisel and it said to prop up the mousetrap door. Guess what? I used the chisel to prop up said trap door, but then realised I needed it to chip at the ice in front of the manor. Now, I can't get the chisel back and can't progress. This is driving me mad.

Has anyone got around this, or is this some sort of glitch and do I need to start all over again? Why did it accept the darn chisel if that wasn't the right tool to use on the trap door?

I'd be really grateful for any heads-up.

Many thanks in advance. Sorry, frustrated rant over now.

Back to being an

[Post New]by Amaranthia_Grl on Jan 1, 12 12:41 PM
Not a glitch! You can use either chisel or screwdriver on the cage. To get back the chisel, catch the mouse in the cage.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jan 1, 12 12:48 PM
Hi there Amaranthia_Grl,
I thought I had used the screwdriver myself for the mousetrap, so couldn't answer Tiger's question.
Hm, does your name indicate anything?
Cheers

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Jan 1, 12 1:04 PM
@ DLO - thanks heaps for your review - it is really good and helpful

I thoroughly enjoyed the demo, and liked one of the ways to open a "locked" section -
SPOILER - HIGHLIGHT TO READ:

Making your very own key to fit the padlock

I like the music, and there is plenty of variety in activities. About the only gripe I have is that it took at least 2 minutes (maybe longer - I nearly had time to make a cup of tea, lol) for the Skip button to charge. I only used it once, and the wait was very frustrating I can see I will have to avoid the Skip button as much as possible, lol.

I think I might be making my first game purchase of the year very soon

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

Jen

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 1, 12 1:06 PM
Thank you DLO and Amaranthia_Grl (welcome to the Pond).

I've got it now. I missed the barrel in the corner with the cheese. Classic case of clicking on the wrong barrel and losing patience.

Thanks very much for the heads-up, Amaranthia. I've now bought the game and can't wait for the Forum so I can write a review. I'm loving all of the different aspects to this game.

Happy New Year!!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jan 1, 12 1:11 PM
Hi mamjay,
Yes I too thought your "Spoiler" was a good idea.
Cheers

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jan 1, 12 1:13 PM
Oh Tiger, what's a mousetrap without cheese? LOL
(I thought you already had it.)

Go to: