bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

Reviews for Ruin

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jan 4, 12 12:28 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Ruin? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond and you can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Ruin page here.

Have questions about our new reviews section? Please check this forum post and our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread. Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to pop over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgRhone

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

Re:Reviews for Ruin

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Jan 4, 12 1:37 AM
A beautiful game, with very soothing music...the puzzles marbles and the whole idea of gameplay is something different that I don't recall having seen anything like it before. I liked the premise of the story, and there is voice acting. First a bit of story, then a bunch of puzzles that are getting progressively harder.....I am not sure how well I would stand up against these puzzles. I like the story so far, but as the puzzles get harder....I can see myself getting stuck and then abandoning the game...so for anyone trying, definately TRY it before you buy it....because if your a puzzle person then this game is for you....but if your not....and I am sadly one of "those" people who enjoys the lovely skip button entirely too much....

I like it, and I will maybe try some more...but I just see it getting too hard and me not being able to finish it...Not a lot of dialogue so if you like your game with puzzles and can the chatter then I would say this is for you, because not too much and we were off to play. I love the drawn graphics, and the game is sooo inviting....but I just know those puzzles are going to get diabolical.

I wish I could do diabolical puzzles....I would like to buy it...even just to find out how the story goes...... ....

anki6969
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by anki6969 on Jan 4, 12 2:44 AM
autumn_leaf, you gave words to my feelings.

It was on the spot how i felt about the game...

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jan 4, 12 3:47 AM

Thanks, autumn - great review and comments!

[Post New]by winzipper7 on Jan 4, 12 5:59 AM
I loved the game so much I bought it and yes people it does get harder and harder as you go along, the puzzles may get shorter but they do get harder. Now I am on level 6/10 and can't for the life of me figure out this puzzle. So if anyone buys this game or gets this far and figures this puzzle out please let me know how to play this level. This game is so great great to keep the mind busy and I do mean busy. I do wish that Big Fish would start coming out with more different kinds of games because I'm so tried of seeing all thoses Hidden Object Games continiously all the time. We are over whelmed with them we need more of a varaty of games.

owlgirl61
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by owlgirl61 on Jan 4, 12 6:50 AM
Gave up after 5 minutes. 10 levels for the first task! Ridiculous.

catlynn54
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by catlynn54 on Jan 4, 12 7:35 AM
What a great game! Really makes you think. Tried it, bought it!

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Jan 4, 12 10:34 AM
I tried it and liked it. I would really consider buying this game if it showed up a bit bigger on my screen. When I changed my resolution to suit the game requirements I could barely distinguish the different colors. I liked the game but had to play with my nose against the screen. It was bad enough to prevent me from buying.

vervaine
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,122 Posts

[Post New]by vervaine on Jan 4, 12 10:47 AM
I got through the first task (10/10) in 10 minutes. But given the size of the board, the puzzles are going to get insanely hard!

+ interesting puzzles, I rarely see this type;
+ NO TIMER just high scores;
+ pretty graphics for a puzzle game.

- fills my entire screen - 1280px wide - so I can't play windowed;
- changes screen resolution (and messes up my icons)
- really high CPU usage;
- no sound sliders, just mute (annoying as voiceovers sound good, but there's no option to make them louder than bg music);
- no other options at all;
- no puzzle replay, just continue.

Can't comment on the story as I have only entered the house.

All in all, I like it, but it seems kind of... bare It looks like a one-man project, and an impressive one if it's indeed made by single person or a small team, so I'm going to support it and buy it... after I play some more of the demo.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jan 4, 12 11:24 AM
hydrogibbon wrote:I tried it and liked it. I would really consider buying this game if it showed up a bit bigger on my screen. When I changed my resolution to suit the game requirements I could barely distinguish the different colors. I liked the game but had to play with my nose against the screen. It was bad enough to prevent me from buying.

Size of the pattern I'm trying to follow is just too small for my eyes
to see the arrow directions, so no buy for me.

But kudos for putting something different out there.

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Jan 4, 12 5:25 PM
I just played for a little while and the puzzles got harder to the point where I'm feeling a bit out of my depth. I like the game, however. I think I'm just getting too lazy to try to think that hard. But it is intriquing and different from the norm.

[Post New]by bouncyhouse on Jan 4, 12 6:19 PM
I would have like this game, but it's one of those games for right handers. Most gamesuse the mouse settings from the user, but a few don't. 99% of the time if I can't get a game to use my settings I have to quit. Gets too confusing. (imagine playing an entire game with your left hand)

Nice game though. I'd have bought it.

[Post New]by aguardiente on Jan 5, 12 7:00 AM
I play a lot of HOG's and don't have a lot of trouble seeing the objects, but for some reason I found it hard to distinguish between the blue and the green buttons and couldn't see the arrows well enough for that to help. My eyesight's not that bad so it's a mystery.

Grimhild
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Grimhild on Jan 5, 12 11:26 AM
Love this game! The puzzles are challenging, and since there's 10 per level, there are lots of them. I don't really care about the story, but it seems requisite these days for there to be one. The demo's hour went by so quickly that Ruin was an instant purchase for me. If you like to challenge your brain instead of searching for hidden objects that make no sense in piles of trash, this game is for you.

dee1954
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by dee1954 on Jan 6, 12 12:37 AM
winzipper7 wrote: I loved the game so much I bought it and yes people it does get harder and harder as you go along, the puzzles may get shorter but they do get harder. Now I am on level 6/10 and can't for the life of me figure out this puzzle. So if anyone buys this game or gets this far and figures this puzzle out please let me know how to play this level. This game is so great great to keep the mind busy and I do mean busy. I do wish that Big Fish would start coming out with more different kinds of games because I'm so tried of seeing all thoses Hidden Object Games continiously all the time. We are over whelmed with them we need more of a varaty of games.

dee1954
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by dee1954 on Jan 6, 12 12:41 AM
hey win i bought it too and am only on 3 8 so when i get to 6 10 i sure hope i can help lol.. had to walk away for a few on a couple of puzzles sure wish there was a hint button lol lol... but i too am tired of seeing all the hog.. it is way to overwhelming when your looking for something different.. well if you get by it let me know and good luck,, might be back asking for your help seen as your ahead of me lmao... dee

Grimhild
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

A couple of suggestions

[Post New]by Grimhild on Jan 8, 12 2:52 PM
I'm stuck! But I love it--I get a feeling of accomplishment when I get myself unstuck, which is unsual in most games. I've been unable to find a walkthrough in case I need help getting unstuck, so one would be helpful. Or being allowed to skip a level and come back to it later. Perhaps queueing the games would work: move a skipped game to the end of the queue, allowing the player to complete the levels until the last level (or levels), where the skipped games must be solved in order to finally complete the game.

And the area where it shows the patten we're supposed to match is far too small, which makes it hard to discern which color goes where, especially between the two blues and the two greens and the silver. Making the image of the goal larger would help a lot, especially for us elderly people whose eyes don't work as well as they used to.

Last, this game plays just fine on my laptop but won't play on my netbook because of resolution/sizing issues. If the image of the goal was larger, this would be a perfect game for netbooks, Kindles, iPads and the like. But the screen resolution/sizing keeps it from working.

barbiecats2000
Catfish
Catfish
1,668 Posts

[Post New]by barbiecats2000 on Jan 9, 12 6:42 PM
This is a very lovely game - I got through 20 levels with 7 minutes left on the trial so I bought. I agree that the puzzle goal is way too small but I can see it with my glasses on. The playing board is plenty large enough. Not sure why they didn't make the goal view larger.

This game is unique and gets harder but not on every level back to back. I've had very small puzzles that really took some thought and some bigger ones that were easy.

The object of the game is to match the given picture by moving ruins around the board. Some of the ruins will only move in one direction while others can move in 4 directions. You have to swap with a ruin beside next to it until you match the given puzzle picture. It's a very clever game in my opinion. No timer to bother you and you can restart the puzzle or undo a few moves if you get stuck.

This one is a winner IMHO so far. Good luck fishies!

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Feb 17, 12 6:29 PM
The gameplay is fine, but the background was dark and boring, its OK to have a goal ie find out what happened to the sister but the depressing screen just doesn't work.

Also the complete pattern is just too small to follow, I certainly don't want to be that close to my computer screen to play.

Unfortunately a no buy from me.

Dj2798
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by Dj2798 on Jun 10, 12 11:06 AM
I'm very disappointed because for some reason, the game won't play "full screen" for me. It says it's in the full screen position, but it's all windowed in the left hand upper corner of our monitor. Nothing we do seems to change it, so I'm going to delete it off my computer. Wish it wasn't windowed.....

Go to: